Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Has to be one of the biggest benefits of repeating :D

Which college do ye all want to do teaching in? Any Pats hopefuls on here? :D

I like to try to do three or so hours a night as well. Its ridiculously hard to have any level of motivation or concentration on weekends though!

Yep hopefully Pats for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I followed predictions that were dished up on boards religiously and got 3 A1s.

Wish I hadn't :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Fert94

Lads, is anyone else absolutely fecked for chemistry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Fert94 wrote: »
    Lads, is anyone else absolutely fecked for chemistry?
    I think it's just an issue of keep chipping at it. It certainly can't all be learned the night before. Having said that our teacher keeps telling us that everything will come together and click around Easter! I f*cking hope anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I followed predictions that were dished up on boards religiously and got 3 A1s.

Wish I hadn't :rolleyes:
    Yeah. You're one person and spurious has been around here for years.

Instead of making any logical argument against you, I'll just use this smiley. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Colm! wrote: »
    Yeah. You're one person and spurious has been around here for years.

Instead of making any logical argument against you, I'll just use this smiley. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say he's necessarily lying or trying to lead us astray, predictions aren't always wrong.. actually a lot of the time, they're right.

I will still be looking out for predictions and maybe look out for things which haven't come up in a while and are due to come up and put more work into them, but I'm not saying anyone should leave any part of the course because something else is predicted to come up.

If something came up the year before you sit your LC, you're obviously not going to focus on that as you don't believe it will come up two years in a row - therefore you're making a prediction. :p I did a lot of predicting for the Junior Cert, particularly with subjects such as History, Geography and Business and they almost all paid off for me and I ended up doing very well.

They are trying to make the Leaving Certificate less predictable, so maybe more caution is needed now with predictions than before - but I still think that if you don't take risks by putting all your eggs in one basket, it can be a pretty beneficial thing to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Poufsouffle

I might put extra focus on things that are predicted to come up rather than putting no focus at all on things that aren't. Say I'll try to know my 5 English poets to be comfortable enough to write about any of them on the day but I will pay a bit of extra attention to Plath.
    I have so many tests next week and my chemistry teacher's trying to fit about 5 or 6 chapters into one test and the whole class was just like 'no!! :eek:' so she reduced it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Colm! wrote: »

Sylvia Plath - "I am inhabited by a cry; nightly it flaps out, looking, with its hooks for something to love"

This quote has reminded me that we did all the boring poems when we did Plath, keeping away from the so-called more difficult (and many times more interesting imo) ones. Seriously considering just reading over some notes for the other ones myself, I remember reading the poem that quote came from, (Elm, right?) and being a bit shocked by how mind-implodingly unreal it was.

What poets have y'all done anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Slow Show wrote: »
    This quote has reminded me that we did all the boring poems when we did Plath, keeping away from the so-called more difficult (and many times more interesting imo) ones. Seriously considering just reading over some notes for the other ones myself, I remember reading the poem that quote came from, (Elm, right?) and being a bit shocked by how mind-implodingly unreal it was.

What poets have y'all done anyway?

I really like Plath, her poetry has such depth, I find it really easy to write about.

So far we have done Plath, Bishop, Mahon and Shakespeare. We'll have Hopkin's done by mid-term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Have Rich and Plath done from last year, starting Mahon soon. I would agree with what people are saying about Plath's poetry being easier to write about. Knowing about her life and how she died makes it much more interesting as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I think were in trouble in English, seriously worried that were going to slow now. I dunno, he has a reputation of a good teacher and he seems it to me, he doesn't seem to be dragging along.

Saying that, so far we've done one poet -Elizabeth Bishop, Macbeth in detail, How Many Miles to Babylon in detail, and a sh!te load of paper 1 practice. Should I be worried? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

I think were in trouble in English, seriously worried that were going to slow now. I dunno, he has a reputation of a good teacher and he seems it to me, he doesn't seem to be dragging along.

Saying that, so far we've done one poet -Elizabeth Bishop, Macbeth in detail, How Many Miles to Babylon in detail, and a sh!te load of paper 1 practice. Should I be worried? :eek:
    No you'll be grand.. I repeated last year, I never read the single text or any of the comparative, and that's no word of a lie, I saw the comparative film that's about it, I just learned the notes, I only covered 2 poets; Rich and Heaney I still got a B1 at higher level. You have loads of time and I mean loads... English is a simple enough subject, it's a memory test and paper one is easy to pick up simple marks as you can just be creative as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

poets we've covered are Mahon, Plath, Bishop and Shakespeare.
    Shakespeare and his sonnets are the worst though, don't understand them one bit and completely forget them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

So much work to do :(

We've done Hopkins, Mahon, Plath, Shakespeare and Wordsworth and we'll have Bishop done by mid-term I'd say as well! We've done absolutely nothing on Macbeth though except read it so we've do to all that and all our comparative modes

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I think we're doing quite well in English. We've covered 3 poets, comparatives and Macbeth in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Anyone else looking at a film/media course that requires a portfolio?

The course in IADT want storyboarding, concept work, and costume sketches. Really?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

In fairness, all leaving cert courses are designed to be doable on two years. If you know the course you won't need to rely on predictions. In other words the courses are condensed enough without having to shorten them further with predictions. Wouldn't risk it myself is all :o Can work for people though...

David1994 wrote: »
    Yep hopefully Pats for me :D

So you're a repeat looking to do primary teaching in Pats? I have to ask, are you me in disguise? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

So far we've done Bishop and Hopkins, Macbeth, Casablanca and we"re nearly finished reading "How many miles..."

I've only ever done one Plath poem but she is a seriously amazing who us actually interesting unlike the rest of them.

Anyone else play any instruments? I've to go back to piano tomorrow evening and to say my pieces are in a bad way is an understatement.....

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Anyone else play any instruments? I've to go back to piano tomorrow evening and to say my pieces are in a bad way is an understatement.....

I play piano (state the obvious, my username :P), organ and guitar. I started back at piano last wednesday...I learn in the RIAM and like you, my pieces were in a pretty bad way :-) so as always I came up with some pretty convincing excuses. My piano teacher: how was your summer? Me: it was great! So busy though. I was away for most of it...*cue the "so I didn't have access to a piano line"* hehe :)

Start back with organ next week but I'm ready for that so its all good! Do you do grades? And music in school?

Anyway, we have covered Bishop, Mahon and Wordsworth. And we have covered Macbeth in detail... And we have read Purple Hibiscus, and are nearly finished How many Miles to Bablyon. When ye all say that you have covered such and such "in detail" do you mean just read realms and realms of notes? Because that's all my teacher does!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Poufsouffle

We've done 3 poets so far, I liked Shakespeare the most, the sonnets were easier to learn, did Macbeth, Wuthering Heights, Casablanca and starting our third comparative in a few weeks.
    I played the violin up until before the summer but I decided to give it a break for the year, I may take it back up after the lc but
    honestly i never particularly loved it. I
    love the sound of the acoustic guitar though
    so I might try that
    instead :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

I play piano too! I'm not going to lessons though. Do you guys do music in school? I did exams up to grade 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Flabangav wrote: »
    I play piano too! I'm not going to lessons though. Do you guys do music in school? I did exams up to grade 8.

I do music in school. What about you? :-) and I just did my grade 8 piano back in May. So no more exams for me! :)

On a completely unrelated note, if you want to say in Irish "at the end of the story", do you use the Tuisil ginideach? So "Ag deireadh an scéal" would be "Ag deireadh an scéil" ... Anyone know? :)

I do music in school. What about you? :-) and I just did my grade 8 piano back in May. So no more exams for me! :)

Yeah I do music in school too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I play piano (state the obvious, my username :P), organ and guitar. I started back at piano last wednesday...I learn in the RIAM and like you, my pieces were in a pretty bad way :-) so as always I came up with some pretty convincing excuses. My piano teacher: how was your summer? Me: it was great! So busy though. I was away for most of it...*cue the "so I didn't have access to a piano line"* hehe :)

Start back with organ next week but I'm ready for that so its all good! Do you do grades? And music in school?
    I have no reasonable excuse as to why I let them get so bad. I was just reeaally lazy and wasn't bothered to touch the piano at all. I'd love to make it as far as grade 8 but I'll only be doing my grade 6 exam at christmas so after that I might not bother going back seeing as soon it'll be mocks and then orals and before ya know it'll be June!

I'm not doing music for the l.c. though. I did do it for the jc but I hated it and I mean HATED it with a passion. It was my worst result.

I will probably keep playin around with it on my own after the lc. I have a list of stuff I want to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rosiee

David1994 wrote: »
    I have been studying from 4-9 most days so hoping to keep that up! :)
    Going for Primary teaching too... So much more focused now that it is my second shot at it :L
    OMG I'm repeating too for primary teaching! :)
    Gonna be a tough year but it'll be worth it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

I do piano and guitar, self taught with both of them :) I can read music/guitar tabs no problem, but I prefer learning by ear. You're better off doing it that way, especially with guitar, because you pick up the little details that can't be written down.

Anybody started the Barry set work yet? The more I listen to it the more I like it :) And I'm sure there's not many people who like it :p

curly135 wrote: »
    Anybody started the Barry set work yet? The more I listen to it the more I like it :) And I'm sure there's not many people who like it :p

Yeah, I really like it! I think it grows on you! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

rosiee wrote: »
    OMG I'm repeating too for primary teaching! :)
    Gonna be a tough year but it'll be worth it :P

Join the club :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rosiee

Haha I feel better now that I'm not alone :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

any one thinking of doing secondary school teaching. Would like to do French but im not that good at it, maybe Irish with it. So confused don't know what to do next year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement