Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

anyone have no clue what they want to do next year :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Jus wondering, how do all of you study An tSraith Pictuiri? Do ye learn off sentences from the book or make up stuff as you go along? :)

007driver wrote: »
    any one thinking of doing secondary school teaching. Would like to do French but im not that good at it, maybe Irish with it. So confused don't know what to do next year.

I'm considering Irish and Music, or Music and French in TCD. Either way music is a must! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Jus wondering, how do all of you study An tSraith Pictuiri? Do ye learn off sentences from the book or make up stuff as you go along? :)

I get a grind (stare all ye want! ;) ) in Irish and what he has done is basically make out a template, so basically starts to sentences applicable for all 20 pictiuri, and these is quite nice Irish so them it's just a matter of adding in simple sentences specific to the pictures, that way for every one of the 20 you have half of the thing learnt off all ready. I went to Irish college over the Summer and they gave us 20 sets of notes different for every sraithpictiur which is almost 120 paragraphs to learn off which was just impractical! Also according to a lot of teachers/examiners I was talking to the main problem was that people tended to drag on with their description of the pictures, and the examiners had to cut them off, ideally you need to be aiming for 2:50 for the description and 1:10 for the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Just wondering is it better to do An Triail or to do the extra 5 poems because my teacher wants to do the extra 5 poems but i would prefer to do an triail? She made us buy the play last year and this year she decided we would do the 5 poems aswell as the other 5 poems we have to do! Would ye suggest doing the extra 5 poems with the teacher or study An Triail on my own with a notes book of it? Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Just wondering is it better to do An Triail or to do the extra 5 poems because my teacher wants to do the extra 5 poems but i would prefer to do an triail? She made us buy the play last year and this year she decided we would do the 5 poems aswell as the other 5 poems we have to do! Would ye suggest doing the extra 5 poems with the teacher or study An Triail on my own with a notes book of it? Thanks!!

5 poems is ALOT easier that doing a whole book the book can take ages

• Advertisement

Sunny!! wrote: »

Ya but then we I would have to learn 10 poems, or would that be easier?
    And is there any irish revision book you would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

It's only the first 8 chapters. :)

Ya but then we I would have to learn 10 poems, or would that be easier?

I personally found it took less time. The poems are infront of you which is a great advantage. Remember with an triall you only get a question, you have to learn the story characters etc yet with the poetry no quotes need to be learned as there all there which saves alot of effort.

kevin12345 wrote: »
    It's only the first 8 chapters. :)

oh sorry i didnt know this:p

its really down to you so. I'd still do the poems though:)

I personally found it took less time. The poems are infront of you which is a great advantage. Remember with an triall you only get a question, you have to learn the story characters etc yet with the poetry no quotes need to be learned as there all there which saves alot of effort.

Ya but my plan was to learn off all my notes and just write them down and try to fit the question as i honestly havent a clue of irish and i dont think i could possibily have a worse irish teacher! Would it be easier to learn all the notes for all the poems or all the notes for an triail. I read a summary of it on the internet and it doesnt sound too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I never feel like I'm getting enough done these days..

I get a grind (stare all ye want! ;) ) in Irish and what he has done is basically make out a template, so basically starts to sentences applicable for all 20 pictiuri, and these is quite nice Irish so them it's just a matter of adding in simple sentences specific to the pictures, that way for every one of the 20 you have half of the thing learnt off all ready. I went to Irish college over the Summer and they gave us 20 sets of notes different for every sraithpictiur which is almost 120 paragraphs to learn off which was just impractical! Also according to a lot of teachers/examiners I was talking to the main problem was that people tended to drag on with their description of the pictures, and the examiners had to cut them off, ideally you need to be aiming for 2:50 for the description and 1:10 for the questions.

Ah Cool! Any examples? :p in the gaeltacht I went to we weren't allowed work on the pictures because the department forbid it. Something like that anyway! And yeah, my teacher says we're only allowed 2 mins for the pics and 1 for the qs! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Jus wondering, how do all of you study An tSraith Pictuiri? Do ye learn off sentences from the book or make up stuff as you go along? :) )

well, my teacher gives the class each 2 sets of notes (1 from a sraith pictuiri book and the other from some website) and we basically combine the two notes together and add a few sentences of your own if you want. The Irish is great in them. I learn them word for word. Takes ages, but worth it in the end. I know some people disagree with learning word for word but it suits me better. :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I followed predictions that were dished up on boards religiously and got 3 A1s.
    Yeah, but you were lucky, fewtins. And others were lucky with the predictions they picked to follow, and lots of others weren't ... lots of Pleaney tears, for example!

Nothing wrong with having a glance at the predictions when you know you have covered enough to leave yourself safe, and you have back-ups.

Relying on predictions as gospel though is like relying on Irish weather tbh ... eventually it will come right for someone on the day, but how often does that happen?
    0mega wrote: »
    I wouldn't say he's necessarily lying or trying to lead us astray ...
    He's not, in fairness, not the type.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

So much homework! :o
    For picture sequences I started writing a few sentences on each one up to number 5 out with phrases etc that I already know. I'm good at Irish though so I can make things up on the spot without using bhí sé etc all the time. My class is quite weak as it's mixed ability with most people around the D level so usually I can make it up if asked in class. I will be writing them out and probably won't learn it off by heart but I'll learn them well enough that I won't be stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

The amount of bangers going off round here the last 3 days is ridiculous. And its still September for gods sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

The amount of bangers going off round here the last 3 days is ridiculous. And its still September for gods sake!
    Got one of them lobbed at me the iter night ! Feckin twats!!!

Just spent the past 3 hours researching the topic for my french debate, and trying, dismally, to write my speech. Being the captain is NOT fun! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

So who is at higher options tomorrow?

decisions wrote: »
    So who is at higher options tomorrow?

Me! :-)

• Advertisement

I'm going Thursday. The highlight? Getting no homework :D

I wish we were going Thursday because tomorrow, we only have double French, double music, tutor class and career guidance...so it's not like we're missing any "heavy" subjects. Where as Thursday I have every single exam subject!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Just downloaded The Killers new album, sounds incredible so far!

I wish we were going Thursday because tomorrow, we only have double French, double music, tutor class and career guidance...so it's not like we're missing any "heavy" subjects. Where as Thursday I have every single exam subject!
    Tomorrow I have double religion and PE although I think I do have 2 link classes Thursday too. Happy with the classes I'm missing though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Hey everyone :)

Just a question on behalf of my little sister, who is in 5th year, has the leaving cert biology syllabus changed since 2010?
    I ask because I did biology for the LC that year and have very good notes that she wants to use, but she's worried the syllabus is different.

Thanks and good luck with ye're studies :)
    (Also I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Just downloaded The Killers new album, sounds incredible so far!

Really? I'm really disappointed with it tbh, I think it starts off well and then come track 4 it all starts to sound the same to me. Perhaps it'll be a grower though...I thought the same of Brandon Flower's solo album back in the day (roughly this time two years ago, eeeek, time be crazy) but that ended up being a huge grower.

@Gunslinger92: Nah it's been the same since 2003 afaik!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Hey everyone :)

Just a question on behalf of my little sister, who is in 5th year, has the leaving cert biology syllabus changed since 2010?
    I ask because I did biology for the LC that year and have very good notes that she wants to use, but she's worried the syllabus is different.

Thanks and good luck with ye're studies :)
    (Also I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread) :o

No I am almost 100% sure it is the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

Didn't think Higher Options was anything special. Too many people and it was roasting! Got a good few leaflets and stuff though, hopefully I'll find something interesting to do for next year.
    Didn't end up going to any of the talks.
    Anyone else go today? What did yous think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I was at it. I thought it was alright, went to the CAO, the UCAS and the Engineering talks and I found them quite boring. But I got a lot of good info on courses I'm looking at and its changed my mind on some stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 SleepAlone

I was at higher options today and I'm more confused if anything. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement