Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

€120?! is that for one or two tickets? If that's one that's insanity, our absolute max we're going for is €70

One ticket apparently. That's what I said too!

6th year is seriously getting to me, I finished my homework plus a good amount of study at half 8 today owing to the half day on a Wednesday, but when I came downstairs I felt so guilty I went back up stair to revise everything I had done today :L

Guilty?? Wish I felt guilty! Haven't even properly started study yet as homework has been more than enough to do til now.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

David1994 wrote: »
    Anyone know some dayycent Spanish tunes! :P Have been listening to some but would revel in hearing someone else's taste in music!

the lyrics on his songs are pretty easy to understand, in my opinion anyway :)
    he has a good few tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Anyone know some dayycent Spanish tunes! :P Have been listening to some but would revel in hearing someone else's taste in music!

http://youtu.be/rUFgacK8sZ0

http://youtu.be/_kpn4WRW2Sc

Two fairly quick dance(y) Spanish songs! I barely know any Spanish and i love them! One of them is the Euro Cup 2012 song for Spain and the other just a really famous dance tune in Spain!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Slow Show wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, do any of you have a part-time job this year? I'm teaching piano for 5 hours a week, so hopefully it wont affect my homework and study too much (its on a friday evening so isn't too bad). :)

I work for thirteen hours spread over two days at the weekend. :pac: intending on keeping it up for a few months until it becomes too much. Yes I'm probably crazy but meh, I enjoy it, have good friends there and you can't study all the time.

Glad to see I am not alone! You might as well keep it up for as long as possible - you might be glad of the money when it comes to college next year! :) Plus I'm the same as you, I enjoy it so for me, it feels more like I'm taking a break from studying rather than working! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Ah gracias para las cancioñes,escucharé cuando termino mis deberes muy pronto.
    Hemos pasado mucho tiempo escuchando a la musica de España. Pero siempre me olvido los nombres de las cancioñes :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

A question for those who are repeating. What do you do all day? I have mostly free classes and we end up just sitting around the study area doing nothing or going to the computer room. Do you go to all your classes? We don't bother going to a lot of them because we've already done the work and finished the course.

Also, how do you find being back, I didn't mind it at first and the year is fairly sound but I just have this feeling that I'm too old for the place.

Anyone else feel the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

So who's going where for their end of year holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Not planning on it really, I'm totally broke and have no chance of making money between now and June/July, and I couldn't ask the parents for money seeing as I'm asking them to shoulder the huge cost of living in Dublin for college!

The bog, maybe! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Not planning on it really, I'm totally broke and have no chance of making money between now and June/July, and I couldn't ask the parents for money seeing as I'm asking them to shoulder the huge cost of living in Dublin for college!

To be honest I wasn't expecting to be going away until my mom mentioned it to me the other night. I'm due payment in January from a carcrash so will be able to pay out of that but not going because of having to live in Dublin is completely understandable. Hope you enjoy Dublin :)

• Advertisement

To be honest I wasn't expecting to be going away until my mom mentioned it to me the other night. I'm due payment in January from a carcrash so will be able to pay out of that but not going because of having to live in Dublin is completely understandable. Hope you enjoy Dublin :)

Yeah in fairness I'm actually revving for that anyway, moving away from home will be fantastic, that is if I get the points for what I want!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    A question for those who are repeating. What do you do all day? I have mostly free classes and we end up just sitting around the study area doing nothing or going to the computer room. Do you go to all your classes? We don't bother going to a lot of them because we've already done the work and finished the course.

Also, how do you find being back, I didn't mind it at first and the year is fairly sound but I just have this feeling that I'm too old for the place.

I go to all my classes except Irish, and stupid ones like Religion and P.E. I know all the stuff, but I don't think I'd get much done in a bunch of free classes.

I didn't mind going back at all, at first. I skipped TY so I knew the people, but this week I feel a bit rubbish about everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Want to hit up some music festivals. Oxegen (if it's on. for the craic.) and then maybe Electric Picnic as well (moreso for the fact it'll have way better music).
    Although a break out of the country would be grand, I'm trying to save some cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    A question for those who are repeating. What do you do all day? I have mostly free classes and we end up just sitting around the study area doing nothing or going to the computer room. Do you go to all your classes? We don't bother going to a lot of them because we've already done the work and finished the course

Finally, a fellow repeat :D Was starting to think I was all alone :pac:

Pretty much have full hours. I go to all classes even if I have the course done. The way I see it is that it can't do any harm even if I am sitting through stuff I did this time last year. I still have plenty of free classes though cos I don't do English this year... I just do homework in those.

To be honest the whole things growing on me! Wasn't too keen on it all initially especially the start of this week when everyone was headin' off for college but I'm starting to like it. The year's dead on like and the teachers are really sound to repeats :D Get what ya mean about the age thing though. Like I'm more than a year older than some of my year but it doesn't bother me too much. The worst of it all is slaving away at the books when all my friends are in college but I'll get used to that I suppose.

What's the plan for next year? Assuming we're not repeating again :p

Flabangav wrote: »
    I didn't mind going back at all, at first. I skipped TY so I knew the people, but this week I feel a bit rubbish about everything.

Yeah I didn't mind it the first week but now I'm kind of getting tired of it! I think I'll start going to most of the classes, even if it is just stuff I know already.
    What's the plan for next year? Assuming we're not repeating again :p

I don't even know fully what I want to do, I have a few things in mind though. What about you? :pac:

Surely once we get over the first few weeks we'll be grand.. Right? Right?:pac:

Ye studying yet lads? Very hard to get back into the habit of study :cool:
    Primary teaching (points permitting!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Surely once we get over the first few weeks we'll be grand.. Right? Right?:pac:

Ye studying yet lads? Very hard to get back into the habit of study :cool:
    Primary teaching (points permitting!)

I have been studying from 4-9 most days so hoping to keep that up! :)
    Going for Primary teaching too... So much more focused now that it is my second shot at it :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Try to finish up around 7 each night, until next week. Most homework we are getting are poetry essays, aistes, paper 1 q's, music melodies etc. so that's all revision too. :)

Going for Primary Teaching too. :)

Got our CAO Handbook's today. :eek: All got a little more "real" after reading through it.

I've been doing 2-3 hours a night most nights including homework, (I don't get much homework though) I intend on doing more but I like to go for a run when I come in and then again at around ten, it's hard to find the time . . .

2000th Post!

i usually start my homework around 5ish and don't finish till' around 7:30/8 .. Haven't started proper studying yet, just doing homework. Planning on beginning fairly soon. Mr Procrastinator right here! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 SleepAlone

Planning on starting to do all my homework properly next week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

Some early predictions, basing it off the last few years and what is likely; remember these are predictions.

English (H) Poetry: Sylvia Plath for sure, she was a sure thing last year, didn't happen although but I would bet everything I own on her to appear.

Comparative: Considering it seems to follow a similar trend, I'd say Theme/Issue guaranteed and one of the other two.

History (H) Documents: I'd say the succession of Katanga document is the one that will appear, but again documents are too hard to call, they could be cheeky and throw the same document up as last year. If I had to call it; I'd say Katanga.

Irish section 1912-49: Cultural identity/ Eucharistic congress just keep appearing. Cumman na Gadhael is likely and possibly something on the rise of Sinn Fein.

Northern Ireland 1949-93: Case studies are big in this section; Coleraine, apprentice boys and sunningdale, they always appear in this section and I've seen all 3 of them appear before. I would bank on one of them to appear again.

USA section: Hard to call, again look at case studies etc...

For other subjects like French and Irish, just focus on vocab and I can't stress that enough, the French paper is 10 times easier than people think; I mean listening depends on your vocab knowledge, comprehensions are usually easy enough and again this depends on your knowledge of vocab and the written section also is vocab related, so in French vocab is huge. Irish is similar but concentrate on the oral, it's worth 40%.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

iiHyPeRize wrote: »
    English (H) Poetry: Sylvia Plath for sure, she was a sure thing last year, didn't happen ...
    There may be just a hint of a warning here ... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

There may be just a hint of a warning here ... :cool:

Same story with Boland a few years ago, she was a sure thing, didn't come up but came up the next year, like Plath was a sure thing last year, she'll come up this year, I guarantee it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I wouldn't rely too much on English Higher level predictions as it has become less predictable.

I have been studying from 4-9 most days so hoping to keep that up! :)
    Going for Primary teaching too... So much more focused now that it is my second shot at it :L

Has to be one of the biggest benefits of repeating :D

Which college do ye all want to do teaching in? Any Pats hopefuls on here? :D

I like to try to do three or so hours a night as well. Its ridiculously hard to have any level of motivation or concentration on weekends though!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I would nearly say that after all the drama about Plath not coming up for 2012, they won't put her on for 2013 either as everyone's fully expecting it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Let's face it, Plath is the easiest of all the poets simply because of the fact she tries to be at least interesting.

I mean...
    Elizabeth Bishop - "Oh, the filling station was dirty!"
    Sylvia Plath - "I am inhabited by a cry; nightly it flaps out, looking, with its hooks for something to love"

All I'm saying is that there's a lot more to discuss in one of them.

Sure, I'm going to be hoping that Plath comes up but let's be honest, I don't intend to rely solely on her. Study five in depth, if you have the time to, that way you're sure to win :P

And as for me I'm still never spending an hour a night on the work I'm given and still wrapping up all the homework I get. Should I be concerned or are ye just going overkill?

Anyone who hangs their coat on Plath coming up and only studies her is a chump! Study all the women poets as one of them is bound to come up! (if it's Plath that does come up all the better!) or study the three classical poets as it's rare that 3 come up the same year! But studying one is madness!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Predictions are a complete waste of time, yet year after year, you see on this forum what are supposedly intelligent people leaving out sections because they 'know' certain things are coming up.
    Foolishness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement