Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭CrashBandicoot Girl

Haha I picked Physics too and I am now having slight reservations after talking to someone just after finishing the Physics Leaving Cert Exam!

As regards Music, I know that the Royal Irish Academy of Music on Westland Row do Leaving Cert classes but I amn't sure how you can get enrolled. You could also try the Institute of Education? but I amn't too sure whether they teach music. I am doing music too but I did it for the JC. However you can easily pick it up within 2 years! Do you play an instrument? Btw, you are doing the exact same subjects as me besides History...I am taking Applied Maths as an extra.

I know Physics is going to be terrible:(, my careers teacher told me it was the one subject I shouldnt pick and of course immeadiately its my 1st choice:rolleyes:. Yeah Ill see if the Institute does Music, I didnt think they did, good to know someone is doing the same subjects as me (bar history) someone to compare notes/bitch about subject with :D. Oh and I play guitar btw probably will do Music Tech too ;) Good Luck with Applied Maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

I know Physics is going to be terrible:(, my careers teacher told me it was the one subject I shouldnt pick and of course immeadiately its my 1st choice:rolleyes:. Yeah Ill see if the Institute does Music, I didnt think they did, good to know someone is doing the same subjects as me (bar history) someone to compare notes/bitch about subject with :D. Oh and I play guitar btw probably will do Music Tech too ;) Good Luck with Applied Maths!

Physics is going to be bad enough without the fact that the Physics teacher in my school is supposed to be appalling! I am dreading it so much...the only thing that is consoling me about it is the way in which even if I hadn't picked Physics as one of my options, I would have no choice but to do it anyway because Chemistry (my second option after Physics) clashed with Music. If it goes horribly wrong I don't have to blame my lack of "good subject picking skills" lol...I can blame my school for putting Chemistry on at same time as Music. :) haha

I looked at the Institute website there and it looks like they don't do music. but I would highly recommend you check out the Academy classes. I don't think you have to be a student there to go to the LC classes. And if you play guitar that's an added bonus! And Music Tech is supposed to be quite easy. I think I'll probably play two instruments - piano and organ for my practical. Or maybe I might play guitar. Who knows? We've got two years to decide anyway...oh god...the Leaving Cert has just begun to feel so, so close. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I did my LC physics paper this year...

I picked the 3 sciences (phys, chem, bio) because I knew they'd be handy for med, and I quite liked the sciences anyway (one of my 2 A's in JC :P). For most of 5th year, physics was my least favourite science. The start of the course is really boring imo. The entire section on optics is just...soporific imo. The start of mechanics wasn't much better.

The latter end of mechanics it started getting a small bit better, but it was still my least favourite of the sciences. Some cool applied maths as you get into mechanics. Pity the exam question every year on mechanics is usually tricky enough, and not worth doing unless in an emergency or as an extra question (although others would disagree with that!). :P

Waves and wave motion was slightly dull until we got to light as wave, but then again I had a teacher who spent absolutely AGES on it. It was ridiculous, he spent too long doing stuff we already knew and we crawled through the course...

Electricity (when you grasp an understanding of it, especially understanding voltage!) was alright, not usually my favourite exam question.

I really started to like physics towards the end though, and when we started revising the course. Atomic theory, nuclear physics and the modern physics option were VERY interesting imo. And a good chunk of atomic theory was covered in chemistry!

On revising the course and getting ready for the exam, I really started to love physics. The exam is very fair, and the questions are oddly more rewarding (not really just regurgitating, and some good applied maths in it) than the other sciences. As I could revise the course at my own pace, I didn't get bored with stuff...so physics was a late bloomer, don't give up with it, I'm really glad I did it in the end. :P

jumpguy wrote: »
    I did my LC physics paper this year...

I picked the 3 sciences (phys, chem, bio) because I knew they'd be handy for med, and I quite liked the sciences anyway (one of my 2 A's in JC :P). For most of 5th year, physics was my least favourite science. The start of the course is really boring imo. The entire section on optics is just...soporific imo. The start of mechanics wasn't much better.

The latter end of mechanics it started getting a small bit better, but it was still my least favourite of the sciences. Some cool applied maths as you get into mechanics. Pity the exam question every year on mechanics is usually tricky enough, and not worth doing unless in an emergency or as an extra question (although others would disagree with that!). :P

Waves and wave motion was slightly dull until we got to light as wave, but then again I had a teacher who spent absolutely AGES on it. It was ridiculous, he spent too long doing stuff we already knew and we crawled through the course...

Electricity (when you grasp an understanding of it, especially understanding voltage!) was alright, not usually my favourite exam question.

I really started to like physics towards the end though, and when we started revising the course. Atomic theory, nuclear physics and the modern physics option were VERY interesting imo. And a good chunk of atomic theory was covered in chemistry!

On revising the course and getting ready for the exam, I really started to love physics. The exam is very fair, and the questions are oddly more rewarding (not really just regurgitating, and some good applied maths in it) than the other sciences. As I could revise the course at my own pace, I didn't get bored with stuff...so physics was a late bloomer, don't give up with it, I'm really glad I did it in the end. :P

Thanks for the advice. Out of curiosity, did you do applied maths too? Or just physics?

Also, is physics much different to the sort of physics you do for Junior Cert because I like physics in general but I found some of the stuff for JC quite boring. I was convinced by some of the 5th/6th year students to take it for LC because apparently it is a lot more interesting than what you cover at JC level.

Is is true that in this year's physics paper they stopped giving as much numeral figures to figure out the question? One of the 6th years told me that. :)
    Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Thanks for the advice. Out of curiosity, did you do applied maths too? Or just physics?

Also, is physics much different to the sort of physics you do for Junior Cert because I like physics in general but I found some of the stuff for JC quite boring. I was convinced by some of the 5th/6th year students to take it for LC because apparently it is a lot more interesting than what you cover at JC level.

Is is true that in this year's physics paper they stopped giving as much numeral figures to figure out the question? One of the 6th years told me that. :)
    Thank you!
    I tried taking up Applied Maths myself, with no teacher help, but it proved to be tougher and required more time than I thought it would! :P I would've done it if it was thought in school though. So I did just physics. :)

I can't really *quite* remember what was thought at JC physics now, but it's the same going from all JC to LC sciences, what you learn at JC isn't really wrong, it's just very much oversimplified. It isn't really the same, at LC you learn not only what happens but why it happens, whereas JC tends to just focus on the what. And that goes for all the sciences really.

Yes, the numerical figures for constants and etc were not on the paper this year, however, we we warned they wouldn't be on the paper like 2 years in advance! All the numerical figures are in the Formulae and Tables booklet (commonly called "log tables", which I'll refer to it as :P), so all you must do is make sure that you're very familiar with the log tables before the exam. Before the log tables came out, you had to learn off...maybe around 50-60 formulae for LC physics. Now all them formulae and are in the log tables, so it's very much a trade that benefits the student tbh. All the student must do is make sure they're familiar with where everything is in the log tables.

I found it grand, I got the log tables in 5th year (out of 6 years, although I skipped TY), so I was very familiar with them after 2 years.

• Advertisement

jumpguy wrote: »
    I tried taking up Applied Maths myself, with no teacher help, but it proved to be tougher and required more time than I thought it would! :P I would've done it if it was thought in school though. So I did just physics. :)

I can't really *quite* remember what was thought at JC physics now, but it's the same going from all JC to LC sciences, what you learn at JC isn't really wrong, it's just very much oversimplified. It isn't really the same, at LC you learn not only what happens but why it happens, whereas JC tends to just focus on the what. And that goes for all the sciences really.

Yes, the numerical figures for constants and etc were not on the paper this year, however, we we warned they wouldn't be on the paper like 2 years in advance! All the numerical figures are in the Formulae and Tables booklet (commonly called "log tables", which I'll refer to it as :P), so all you must do is make sure that you're very familiar with the log tables before the exam. Before the log tables came out, you had to learn off...maybe around 50-60 formulae for LC physics. Now all them formulae and are in the log tables, so it's very much a trade that benefits the student tbh. All the student must do is make sure they're familiar with where everything is in the log tables.

I found it grand, I got the log tables in 5th year (out of 6 years, although I skipped TY), so I was very familiar with them after 2 years.

Thank you. I amn't as scared of the subject now as I was. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Oh. eh hello :pac:
    Did think there would be a thread up for this already :pac:

For 5th Year im doing:

English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Tech Graphics
    Accounting
    Physics (:confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Enjoyed TY, dreading going into 5th!!:(

Im doing

Maths (havent decided if honours yet)
    Irish(H)
    English(H)
    French
    Biology
    History
    Physics (why did I choose this!?)
    Music

I didnt do JC music, any recommendations of where to do music outside??:)

Oh and hello everyone btw! ;)

I'm doing all of the above except Physics! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

MegGustaa wrote: »
    I'm doing all of the above except Physics! :D

Ew, history. I presume you enjoy writing pages and pages of essays :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Ew, history. I presume you enjoy writing pages and pages of essays :pac:

Hehe I kinda do, not gonna lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Im doing 8 subjects . . picked the 3 sciences, applied maths and german . . . slightly worried about physics! I love the teacher though who does it and theres only going to be six people in our class so shouldn't be toooo bad :/

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Sorry for busting in and all but anyway..

I'm starting 5th year in September aswell just to get that out there..;)
    I'm just feel so bad for the people (and parents!) who have to fork out loads for books! We have a book rental scheme in our school where we pay €100 a year for renting the books. So, since I skipped TY that makes a total of €500 for the full five years of JC and LC. I'm just wondering out of curiosity, roughly how much more do ye have to pay when you're buying the books?? (full 5/6 years)

James.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Heya I skipped 4th year and am going into 5th year. Im interetsed in doing Business,Law or Medicine in TCd when I finish.
    I want to do
    English HL
    Maths HL
    irish HL
    French HL
    Accountin HL
    Biology HL
    Music HL
    and i dunno which other subject :confused:

yournerd wrote: »
    Heya I skipped 4th year and am going into 5th year. Im interetsed in doing Business,Law or Medicine in TCd when I finish.
    I want to do
    English HL
    Maths HL
    irish HL
    French HL
    Accountin HL
    Biology HL
    Music HL

If your seriously interested in doing Medicine in TCD when you finish you have to have at least two sciences.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

yournerd wrote: »
    I want to do
    English HL
    Maths HL
    irish HL
    French HL
    Accountin HL
    Biology HL
    Music HL

Many more universities other than TCD offer these courses aswell.

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Im doing 8 subjects . . picked the 3 sciences, applied maths and german . . . slightly worried about physics! I love the teacher though who does it and theres only going to be six people in our class so shouldn't be toooo bad :/

Hey, I am doing applied maths and physics too. Except I am taking applied maths as an extra. And it seems everybody is worried about physics!

Hey, I am doing applied maths and physics too. Except I am taking applied maths as an extra. And it seems everybody is worried about physics!

Ah same I'm taking Applied maths as an extra :) Im doing it in school though which is really handy! :) we've two classes a week in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

English -Higher
    Irish-Higher
    Maths-Higher
    Chem-Higher
    French-Higher
    Biology-Higher
    Business- Higher
    Swedish- Higher (if i can ^.^)

Wanted to do history or geography but they clash with other subjects but we have the option to do history in scheduled weekly free classes. so i might :P

I started swedish this summer and didnt do it for my JC. But i know more swedish than 4 years of french :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    English -Higher
    Irish-Higher
    Maths-Higher
    Chem-Higher
    French-Higher
    Biology-Higher
    Business- Higher

Wanted to do history or geography but they clash with other subjects but we have the option to do history in scheduled weekly free classes. so i might :P

I started swedish this summer and didnt do it for my JC. But i know more swedish than 4 years of french :P

Im guessing this is a pisstake? All scandinavian languages are considered soem of the most difficult in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

buyer95 wrote: »
    Tommyrawr wrote: »
    English -Higher
    Irish-Higher
    Maths-Higher
    Chem-Higher
    French-Higher
    Biology-Higher
    Business- Higher

Im guessing this is a pisstake? All scandinavian languages are considered soem of the most difficult in the world
    Nope not taking the piss,I'm finding it quite ok, picked up the basics while I was in Sweden for a month learning it from a language course atm and going back to Sweden for 3 months in march. So it's worth a shot :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

MegGustaa wrote: »
    WORD OF WARNING TO ANYONE WITH THE 2011 EDITION OF FIUNTAS:

Check your 'Scrudu Cainte' disc to make sure it's not actually the Fuinneamh (ordinary level) disc. Mine is printed with 'Fiuntas' and the track listing on it but a) the first track calls it Fuinneamh, b) the tracks don't match up at all to what's printed in the book and c) there should be 91 tracks but mine has 62. I emailed EdCo looking for a replacement but I find it very hard to believe that mine is the only one messed up...these things aren't manufactured manually, after all.

Also I wasn't doing Irish over the Summer, I was loading the CDs from all my books onto iTunes for back-up when I noticed this :3

I just checked mine, and it has the same issue where it says Fuinneamh and it only has 62 tracks. But I checked the content and it did match up to the content in the book, so it may just be a mistake with iTunes.

On the fence about 5th year myself...
    I'm looking forward to doing some actual work, but I'm going to miss the diversity of TY.

Doing: English (H)
    Irish (H)
    Maths (H)
    Spanish (H)
    Business (H)
    Biology (H)
    Physics (H)

Wasn't too sure about physics, but the only alternatives were Home Ec, History or Geography. Didn't want to do any of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tradmad.lacey

Hi everyone! Im new to boards and im going into 5th year in Sept and i did TY it was unreal, great experience i thought!! :)
    These are my subjects.......

Maths H
    Irish H
    English H
    French H
    Geography H
    History H
    Music H

Im happy enough i didnt get my original choice of accounting so i chose geog!! All current 5th/6th years are actually horrified that im doing Geog and History!! Anyone else doing both? Let me know what ye think!! Thanks :D

Hi everyone! Im new to boards and im going into 5th year in Sept and i did TY it was unreal, great experience i thought!! :)
    These are my subjects.......

Maths H
    Irish H
    English H
    French H
    Geography H
    History H
    Music H

Im happy enough i didnt get my original choice of accounting so i chose geog!! All current 5th/6th years are actually horrified that im doing Geog and History!! Anyone else doing both? Let me know what ye think!! Thanks :D

Hey!

I amn't doing History or Geography but funny enough, when I was picking my subjects everybody told me not to pick the two together! Too much reading and writing. I ended up not picking either. Geography bores me. I love history but for Leaving Cert, it is supposed be a pain....lots and lots of writing - my hand almost fell off after the JC history exam so the thoughts of the LC history exam frightened me :D. Although, it was one of the subjects I really considered picking but I chose Physics instead. :)

Ah same I'm taking Applied maths as an extra :) Im doing it in school though which is really handy! :) we've two classes a week in it :)

Lucky! Having to do it outside is annoying. But I am glad I am doing it all the same!

I'm thinking about Applied Maths, but the class is on at lunch time, which is not ideal. And we might already be having after school maths and physics classes anyway, so I might not do it.

MWick94 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about Applied Maths, but the class is on at lunch time, which is not ideal. And we might already be having after school maths and physics classes anyway, so I might not do it.

Every year without fail in our school the sixth years end up having 2-3 lunch times taken up with classes! Usually applied maths too in our school!

MWick94 wrote: »

Every year without fail in our school the sixth years end up having 2-3 lunch times taken up with classes! Usually applied maths too in our school!

Happens in my school too, so I'm not sure if I want to give up some of my only free time to do Applied Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

For Hl Maths for Jc we had it at lunch and after school. and i doubt it I did well :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Not looking forward to 5th year myself.
    Doing:
    English H
    Irish O
    Maths H
    French H
    Physics H
    Ap. Maths H
    Economics H

This discussion has been closed.