Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Yo I am Stephen and I like Asian chicks and want to get 625 points in my LC :D

Nice to meet you all I am also new to the ROI I am originally from NI :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Slow Show wrote: »
    I think you read that wrong, I actually said that it takes less work nowadays what with Project Maths. Obviously I can't be a fair judge of that, not having done either the old course or Project Maths yet but the general consensus seems to be that Project Maths, while more practical, is much easier than the old course.

Some people simply aren't mathematically inclined. I know some really smart people who just can't make sense of trickier parts of maths, and vice versa. Awarding more points to people with the natural ability for maths is just blatantly unfair. I can concede that Maths may be more time-consuming for those without natural flair and ability for it, but really? A B3 in Maths being worth the same as an A1 in any other subject...? I just find it ridiculous.

Some of the best doctors and lawyers and any other profession did pass Maths for their Leaving Cert, and that more than likely hasn't noticeably hampered them. Honours Maths is important for courses like Maths and Engineering, yeah, but why should someone applying for Law or English have to have their chances of getting a place in their desired course reduced because some of their competitors are good at maths when it is of no importance to the college course?

I agree that anyone with the ability for honours maths should try it, but I don't think any subject warrants extra points, unless in a scenario where a candidate would be awarded extra points for getting an A1 in maths if applying to a Maths or Engineering course (or other maths-focused courses), or the same for getting an A1 in English if applying for English. The majority of people will probably not have to use more complex maths than JC HL in their lifetime, so for the 19000th time, extra points for maths is unfair. :p

Sorry Jacko for going way too far and writing way too much but I feel a bit strongly about this. I'm not biased either, I'm fairly certain that I'll be able for Honours Maths and if I continue along the same vein, do rather well points-wise, but I'd change it all if I could.

Ridiculously off-topic but I can't resist 4AM debates. :pac:

EDIT: Oh also, there are no easy subjects. Subjects such as Ag Science, Economics or Business et al may be considered softer subjects, but they have rigorous marking schemes so I wouldn't consider them to be easy at all.
    I see where you are coming from, but I still stick by my earlier post. I still believe that although we are getting this Project Maths malarkey, maths will still take up significantly more time than other subjects.
    Slow Show wrote: »
    Double post but meh, that includes the HPAT, points for medicine are capped at 560, with every five points scored after 550 counting as one point and your Leaving Cert total is added to your HPAT score to make your overall score.
    I wasn't sure what was the story with that. I just remembered seeing "average points of entrant 2010: 726".
    magicianz wrote: »
    I think and will always believe that project maths is easier. You have the people who have done the old course and say it is easier, and you have the people coming from junior cert maths saying it's not.....I hve looked at both papers and at every level it is decidedly easier tbh.
    It all depends on how the text based answers are marked tbh. They could either be marked decidedly strictly or very lax, and I think that will make the difference between previous results and our results. In my opinion, there shouldn't be any question that requires a full-out written answer in a HL maths paper.
    MegGustaa wrote: »
    We've done Statistics and Probability from Project Maths and it is different but by no means easier! Some difficult topics have been cut from the course but there is a lot of work in Statistics. In the PM book we have, the Stats chapter alone is 115 pages long. That compares to something like less than 30 pages in the old book (I have the old books too). Also it'll be made harder for some because it's being taught by teachers who aren't as used to teaching Project Maths, simple as.

Don't get me wrong, I love it, but don't go saying it's easier!

I don't agree that bonus points should only be given for Maths. What about English? Even if you go into Science you need to be good at expressing yourself coherently. Now if you're weak at English but strong in Maths your points won't suffer so much. You could even let English slip a little (get a C where you needed a B before) because you're getting 25 points extra in Maths. Offering a better reward won't make better mathematicians of us...
    Ugh, Statistics and Probability, my two least favorite sections of maths. I much prefer the awkward trig diagrams that require a logical thought process.

BTW, sorry about my slow reply. I basically commented, then completely forgot about the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

Just finished TY and I'm heading into 5th year now. To be honest, I've missed learning and am looking forward to returning to some actual study. I'll remember TY as a largely beneficial experience and looking back on it it's helped mold me into a more responsible and wiser person. (Cue nostalgia ;))

Anyway here's my subjects,

Business (H)
    Economics (H)
    English (H)
    French (H)
    Geography (H)
    History (H)
    Irish (H)
    Maths (H)

Doing Economics outside school.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Stats and probability are the easiest parts of the new maths course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

well i (FOR ONE) like probability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Managed to get most of our books today, only have to go back in a few weeks to get the maths book......I just love the smell of new books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Managed to get most of our books today, only have to go back in a few weeks to get the maths book......I just love the smell of new books.

Same!

Did you all buy your books new? They cost ~€30 a pop! No way can I afford that.

Desire. wrote: »
    Same!

Did you all buy your books new? They cost ~€30 a pop! No way can I afford that.
    We got Irish, Geography, Biology, English (poetry) new because they didn't have any second-hand ones of those in the shop.

But we did get accounting and French second-hand. They were in pretty good condition too apart from a whole load of dog ears in the accounting book (which has 600 pages!!:eek:).

We think that the person in the shop forgot to charge us for the poetry book too.:o She forgot to put it into the bag and then called us back when we were on the way out to say she forgot to give it to us and we think she forgot to scan it in. We went back into the shop and everything and we were going to say it to her and actually going to pay for it (Guilty consciences :o) but she wasn't there and it was only the owner that was there so we didn't want to give her away to the owner for making a mistake so we left again.

Gotta admit there's something pleasurable about buying new school books, and don't forget stationery! Don't get me started on buying stationery! :D

Gotta admit there's something pleasurable about buying new school books, and don't forget stationery! Don't get me started on buying stationery! :D
    IKR!! I haven't even thought about buying stationery yet, probably won't for another couple of weeks either until I come home from holidays in the middle of August-ish.

Easons is opening here sometime (I'm not sure when though) so I'll probably check there out if it's open in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

I still have to buy my books. I was thinking of getting some of them on Adverts.ie because buying them new is so expensive but I am like addicted to the smell of new books! Oh, and I agree, there is something invigorating about buying new stationery hahaha yup, I am definitely a nerd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I have a really, really small ...

... foot!

@Pudsy33 Real Mature... :D

Easons is opening here sometime (I'm not sure when though) so I'll probably check there out if it's open in time.

Don't get too excited man, total rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I was excited too, by November I was basically suicidal :rolleyes: Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I was excited too, by November I was basically suicidal :rolleyes: Good luck!

Haha I was the exact same ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Lawdsss anyone else have the "Business Express" book by Enda Connolly?

Isnt it jsut the prettiest LC book ever? Like theres so many pictures and different colours and different coloured boxes and pages, its like AMAZING!!
    Compared to say my economics book which I cant remember the name of which is just really boring black text..

I think Im going to like Business. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

deise_girl wrote: »
    Lawdsss anyone else have the "Business Express" book by Enda Connolly?

Isnt it jsut the prettiest LC book ever? Like theres so many pictures and different colours and different coloured boxes and pages, its like AMAZING!!
    Compared to say my economics book which I cant remember the name of which is just really boring black text..

I think Im going to like Business. :)

I saw it in Easons today it's gorgeous (if that's not a really creepy way to describe a textbook). I'm not taking business but if I had time to take a tenth subject that book would sway me all the way to Business.

I got all my books today. Fiuntas is easily the best. It makes me wish we'd used Fonn for the Junior (my brother got Fonn 3 today and it looks the same aestetically speaking on the inside). Also LOVING the little book of Sraith Pictiuir. That is gonna be so handy for the oral! Too bad tue year ahead of us didn't get that lol.

Also. 25 years of Fundamental Applied Mathematics 1st Edition later, we managed to be the first to get the 2nd Edition. Woo!

I really love getting school books. Can't wait for Stationery :3

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I saw it in Easons today it's gorgeous (if that's not a really creepy way to describe a textbook). I'm not taking business but if I had time to take a tenth subject that book would sway me all the way to Business.

I got all my books today. Fiuntas is easily the best. It makes me wish we'd used Fonn for the Junior (my brother got Fonn 3 today and it looks the same aestetically speaking on the inside). Also LOVING the little book of Sraith Pictiuir. That is gonna be so handy for the oral! Too bad tue year ahead of us didn't get that lol.

Also. 25 years of Fundamental Applied Mathematics 1st Edition later, we managed to be the first to get the 2nd Edition. Woo!

I really love getting school books. Can't wait for Stationery :3
    Ooh I hope I get the cool Irish book iswell! We dont know what ones tog et till September when the teacher tells us!
    And yea Im starting stationary shopping too :D I has A4 hardbacks in all diff colours, multi pack of colourful copies, pretty designed plastic folder things.
    I still need a binder, a pretty refill pad, pencil case and stuff to put in the pencil case!
    Ahh Im gonna draw it out over Summer so Ive the most colourful things ever :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mielzi

The actual excitement of doing 5th year again :P
    Skipped TY last year and ended up with a horrific subject choice, since I was changing schools anyway, thought I'd resit 5th year, and I'm so pleased ^^

Not sure which school to go into, got a place in St. Laurence College in Loughlinstown and one in St. Raphaela's in Stillorgan, can anyone give me any guidance??

Anyway, I'll be doing:

English (H)
    Irish (O)
    Maths (O)
    History (H)
    Spanish (H)
    Business (H)
    Economics and Japanese (H)
    if I go to Raphaela's, or Home Ec (H) ifI go to Laurence's... fun fun :)

• Advertisement

mielzi wrote: »
    The actual excitement of doing 5th year again :P
    Skipped TY last year and ended up with a horrific subject choice, since I was changing schools anyway, thought I'd resit 5th year, and I'm so pleased ^^

Not sure which school to go into, got a place in St. Laurence College in Loughlinstown and one in St. Raphaela's in Stillorgan, can anyone give me any guidance??

Anyway, I'll be doing:

English (H)
    Irish (O)
    Maths (O)
    History (H)
    Spanish (H)
    Business (H)
    Economics and Japanese (H)
    if I go to Raphaela's, or Home Ec (H) ifI go to Laurence's... fun fun :)

I don't go to either but purely on the basis of Japanese I'd go for Raphaela's :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mielzi

I don't go to either but purely on the basis of Japanese I'd go for Raphaela's :P

Hehehe, it's sorely tempting I must admit! :D

mielzi wrote: »
    Hehehe, it's sorely tempting I must admit! :D

If you end up going to St. Laurence's, however, there are free LC Japanese classes available in St. Michael's College on a Saturday (10-1 I think). That's where I'm taking Japanese :)

http://www.languagesinitiative.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=46

I love the Fiuntas too! I opened it and the first thing I thought of was that it was very similar to the Fonn that we used. If only I could end up in the class with the teacher I want then between the book and the teacher I think I could forget my slight dislike of irish....

I love the Fiuntas too! I opened it and the first thing I thought of was that it was very similar to the Fonn that we used. If only I could end up in the class with the teacher I want then between the book and the teacher I think I could forget my slight dislike of irish....

WORD OF WARNING TO ANYONE WITH THE 2011 EDITION OF FIUNTAS:

Check your 'Scrudu Cainte' disc to make sure it's not actually the Fuinneamh (ordinary level) disc. Mine is printed with 'Fiuntas' and the track listing on it but a) the first track calls it Fuinneamh, b) the tracks don't match up at all to what's printed in the book and c) there should be 91 tracks but mine has 62. I emailed EdCo looking for a replacement but I find it very hard to believe that mine is the only one messed up...these things aren't manufactured manually, after all.

Also I wasn't doing Irish over the Summer, I was loading the CDs from all my books onto iTunes for back-up when I noticed this :3

Got my book list today, pricey. :eek:

Got my book list today, pricey. :eek:

Mhmm mine were 200€ and I got half second hand and already had all my Maths books from TY (save the last Project Maths book that isn't out yet), one History book (that I bought myself just to read...) and 'Biology' that I bought for the Science Olympiad... The books I had already would cost roughly 110€ altogether (all new) o.O

Mhmm mine were 200€ and I got half second hand and already had all my Maths books from TY (save the last Project Maths book that isn't out yet), one History book (that I bought myself just to read...) and 'Biology' that I bought for the Science Olympiad... The books I had already would cost roughly 110€ altogether (all new) o.O

Looking at mine I estimate it'll come to roughly €250. That's still a lot of money. I bought two History books during TY. Pity neither of them seem to be on my book list. I could tell you everything you want about Russian and Eastern European history, just my luck our teacher hasn't chosen to do it. :o
    Also bought the Economics book during TY.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭CrashBandicoot Girl

Enjoyed TY, dreading going into 5th!!:(

Im doing

Maths (havent decided if honours yet)
    Irish(H)
    English(H)
    French
    Biology
    History
    Physics (why did I choose this!?)
    Music

I didnt do JC music, any recommendations of where to do music outside??:)

Oh and hello everyone btw! ;)

• Advertisement

Enjoyed TY, dreading going into 5th!!:(

Im doing

Maths (havent decided if honours yet)
    Irish(H)
    English(H)
    French
    Biology
    History
    Physics (why did I choose this!?)
    Music

I didnt do JC music, any recommendations of where to do music outside??:)

Oh and hello everyone btw! ;)

Haha I picked Physics too and I am now having slight reservations after talking to someone just after finishing the Physics Leaving Cert Exam!

As regards Music, I know that the Royal Irish Academy of Music on Westland Row do Leaving Cert classes but I amn't sure how you can get enrolled. You could also try the Institute of Education? but I amn't too sure whether they teach music. I am doing music too but I did it for the JC. However you can easily pick it up within 2 years! Do you play an instrument? Btw, you are doing the exact same subjects as me besides History...I am taking Applied Maths as an extra.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement