Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I was doing a psychological study into the minds of pre leaving certificate teenagers.. >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭conorburke2011

NotExactly wrote: »
    Do you not think it's abit early for this thread. The people that this thread is for are probably just finished school or else preparing for their Junior Cert & it'll probably get merged with the other 5th year thread anyway :p

Yea its way to early but awh well! Nothing else to do at the time!:D
    Murzar wrote: »
    Hey guys, just finished TY and loved it so I'm looking forward to 5th year in September :D Just wondering if there's anywhere that do subjects outside school, preferably Business, Economics or Design Graphics. Really want to maximise my points for the Leaving Cert!

Hey! :D My parents are sending me to The Institute Of Education in Dublin (St.Stephens Green) every Saturday starting from September. I'll be doing Irish, French, Music and English up there for four hours a day. I think you pay one lump sum at the start of the year- I'm not entirely sure! But if this is not an option, ask around your local area for grinds- a lot of people offer them for very reasonable prices!

Good luck with it!

:rolleyes:
    ciara95 wrote: »
    Starting 5th this September. I'm not doing TY:)
    I'm doing economics outside of school, my school isn't doing it :(
    I'm also doing Eng(H) Irish(h) maths(h) French , geography and business. So I'm only doing 6 subjects in school, but I don't want to do History or a science( bio or Chem), I would of done physics if my school was doing it. Or accounting. Uhhh my school hardly does anything I like! I might move for 6th year. We'll see:)
    Bonjour to all the other 5th years 2011/2012 :)

Your doing basically the same as me! Good luck with the JC exam! I'm sure you'll pass with flying colours!... This time last year it was me!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Multi-quote, Conor ...

multiquote_off.gif

... multi-quote! :p

Multi-quote, Conor ...

multiquote_off.gif

... multi-quote! :p

Im sorry :pac: I just registered last week or something, hahaha! Still learning the pros and cons as I go on, ha! Thanks for the correction though, I now understand (at least one element) of boards! :D

• Advertisement

That's all right, we all had to figure it out when we started!

And given my well-known lack of techie abilities, I suspect when they first made me a mod there were probably a lot of crossed fingers that I didn't somehow manage to accidentally the whole site!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

See.. he even forgot to put a word between accidentally and the.. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

It is ridiculously early for this thread but shur.
    I'll just keep it rolling and say I'm doing :

Maths - Higher
    English - Higher
    Irish - Higher
    Biology - Higher
    Chemistry - Higher
    Physics - Higher
    Spanish - Higher
    Applied Maths - Higher

I should be alright with those, we'll see though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Tomas18

all higher
    English
    irish
    French
    Maths
    Biology
    History
    L.C.V.P

the problem I have in my school is that I wanted to do chemistry but apparently funds are too low to run a class on 7 people even though physics has 8 people. I might do it outside of school but I'm not too sure because it could be a lost cause. so now i have to pick from ag. science, physics and business. hate all :L ag. science is too close to biology for my liking and if i needed 2 sciences for maybe pharmacy or medicine if I'm lucky or just general science or even biotechnology in galway w/ french. I HATE physics with a passion and business I never did for JC so a bit of a pickle.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Tomas18 wrote: »
    all higher
    English
    irish
    French
    Maths
    Biology
    History
    L.C.V.P

the problem I have in my school is that I wanted to do chemistry but apparently funds are too low to run a class on 7 people even though physics has 8 people. I might do it outside of school but I'm not too sure because it could be a lost cause. so now i have to pick from ag. science, physics and business. hate all :L ag. science is too close to biology for my liking and if i needed 2 sciences for maybe pharmacy or medicine if I'm lucky or just general science or even biotechnology in galway w/ french. I HATE physics with a passion and business I never did for JC so a bit of a pickle.:D
    I feel your pain, I had problems with my timetable last year too. First of all, I would not advise doing chemistry outside school unless you get a grind every single week from the start of fifth year. Also, you don't need JC business to do LC business!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Ahhh I wanna stay in 5th year forever. Loved it :)
    Can't believe I'm now a Leaving Cert :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Tomas18

yeah well i might get grinds every week but that would be expensive:L how hard would it be to start business for leaving cert if i didn't do it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Tomas18 wrote: »
    yeah well i might get grinds every week but that would be expensive:L how hard would it be to start business for leaving cert if i didn't do it then?

It wouldn't be hard at all. I'm doing it, and honestly it's my easiest subject, even at higher level. The only hard bit is the exam itself!

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    See.. he even forgot to put a word between accidentally and the.. :P
    Whooooooooooossssshhhh!! ¬_¬

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Do business! Theres a girl in my class who didn't do it for the junior cert and she is quite good at it. It's a lovely subject!

I would say physics but you said you hate it. However it is way different to what's in Junior Cert science! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Short answer, don't do extra subjects unless you already know them (ie music and your grade 10). Otherwise leeson street is your only option,its just a lot of work. You're taking subjects for points, not interest sadly :( Business you could easily do on your own though, you wouldn't need to get a grind every week. :)

I don't think its that early, just that 3rd and 4th years seem to have a very small presence on boards in comparison to 5th and 6th years who'll do anything possible to procrastinate :P

I wouldn't discourage anyone from doing extra subjects! I'm doing 9...

Is it insane that I'm somewhat looking forward to 5th already? Got my TY exam results and booklist yesterday...I know it's only June and the Leaving etc aren't over yet but this is going to be such a long Summer >.< I missed doing proper work (except for LC Maths) in TY!

I'm doing 9 subjects - hey, not so bad, I know someone in 6th doing 10 now! - and they're:

Maths (H)
    English (H)
    Irish (H for now)
    French (H)
    Japanese (H)
    Music (H)
    History (H)
    Biology (H)
    Applied Maths (H)

The only one I'm not taking in school is Japanese - doing classes on Saturday for free in St Michael's College (:

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

I'm starting 5th year next year too, bit surreal really! Especially considering this years 5th years are going to be in 6th year and you'd swear some of them souls only be entering TY!
    but anyway, I am doing the following subjects:

English(H)
    Irish(H)
    French(H)
    Maths(H)
    Biology(H)
    Chemistry(H)
    History(H)
    & German(H) -_-

I'm looking forward to 5th year, mainly ecause I'm hopefully going on a trip to London at the start of the year! :P

I'm starting 5th year next year too, bit surreal really! Especially considering this years 5th years are going to be in 6th year and you'd swear some of them souls only be entering TY!
    but anyway, I am doing the following subjects:

English(H)
    Irish(H)
    French(H)
    Maths(H)
    Biology(H)
    Chemistry(H)
    History(H)
    & German(H) -_-

I'm looking forward to 5th year, mainly ecause I'm hopefully going on a trip to London at the start of the year! :P

Yeah we're going to Italy for 5 days at Mid-term, can't wait!

It's so weird that the year above us will be 6th Year...seems like only yesterday we were all 1st and 2nd years :3 Cliché I know but true as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

MegGustaa wrote: »
    Yeah we're going to Italy for 5 days at Mid-term, can't wait!

It's so weird that the year above us will be 6th Year...seems like only yesterday we were all 1st and 2nd years :3 Cliché I know but true as well!

Sounds sweet! Our trip is hockey based which adds to the fun of it for me! :P

Haha I still remember them stressing out over their Junior Cert!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I'm going into 5th year too :) I'm doing Maths, English, Irish, French, Biology, Chemistry and Accounting. Sorta wish I had another subject though!
    Not looking forward to studying at all after TY! I'm going on a trip too shortly after I come back so it should be a nice break :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I'm going into 5th year too :) I'm doing Maths, English, Irish, French, Biology, Chemistry and Accounting. Sorta wish I had another subject though!
    Not looking forward to studying at all after TY! I'm going on a trip too shortly after I come back so it should be a nice break :)

Hey same subjects buddy! :) If you were torn between History and Accounting you are officially me.

I might be doing Applied Maths as an extra subject, but I highly doubt I'm up for it. An idea maybe? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Im really regretting not having put in much work in 5th year now!!!! So much work ahead of me in september :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Heading into fifth year... feels like yesterday that I was doing my entrance exam for secondary school asdf. Doing the core subjects and biology, chemistry + history. Entertaining the idea of doing music/applied maths/classical studies outside of school but I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Slow Show wrote: »
    Hey same subjects buddy! :) If you were torn between History and Accounting you are officially me.

I might be doing Applied Maths as an extra subject, but I highly doubt I'm up for it. An idea maybe? :P
    Ooh, I'm going to be in your year from September. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

seems far too early to be thinking about 5th year but I'm looking forward to it at the same time!!!

Doing 8 subjects - Maths, English, Irish, German, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Applied Maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

MegGustaa wrote: »
    I wouldn't discourage anyone from doing extra subjects! I'm doing 9...

But whats the point? You can only count 6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

I'm doing the following subjects:

English - Higher.
    Irish - Higher.
    Maths - Higher.
    Geography - Higher.
    Physics - Higher.
    Business - Higher.
    Accounting - Higher.
    Economics - Higher.

I will be doing Economics myself outside of school. I will probably drop down to Ordinary English and Irish as I won't be getting As in them, so there's no point wasting my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Desire. wrote: »
    I'm doing the following subjects:

English - Higher.
    Irish - Higher.
    Maths - Higher.
    Geography - Higher.
    Physics - Higher.
    Business - Higher.
    Accounting - Higher.
    Economics - Higher.

I will be doing Economics myself outside of school. I will probably drop down to Ordinary English and Irish as I won't be getting As in them, so there's no point wasting my time.

Good luck getting an A in any subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Good luck getting an A in any subject.

That's nice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement