Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Applied Maths is not abailable in my school. What is it anyways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

yournerd wrote: »
    Applied Maths is not abailable in my school. What is it anyways?

It's kinda like the maths side of physics with some extra maths on the side. If you get me...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

For Hl Maths for Jc we had it at lunch and after school. and i doubt it I did well :/

That's ridiculous! Why was it not held during normal class time?

Out of curiosity and slight boredom, when does everyone go back?

I'm back on the 30th.

I think I am back on the 26th, not 100% sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

30th for me aswell i think, thats a Tuesday right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Got my schoolbooks today. My nerves are a-tinglin' with nerdy excitement. I think I'm going to like Biology now. :)

Also, I'm back on the 26th, FML.

Slow Show wrote: »
    Got my schoolbooks today. My nerves are a-tinglin' with nerdy excitement. I think I'm going to like Biology now. :)

Got my schoolbooks back in June! The school sent our lists out early, although we won't know what maths or biology book we need until September. My mother was so eager to send me back, she bought the books that day!

Although, now that I've had a good chance to look through them, I think I'm going to start learning a bit from some of them. I suffer from "I used to know it, then I did TY" syndrome, so a recap of what I used to know might ease the pain of 5th Year.

30th for me aswell i think, thats a Tuesday right?

Yeah, it's a Tuesday.

We don't know what English, Irish, maths, and French books we need yet. They are all "to be decided in September"

I have my economics and physics books. Still have to get my applied maths book. What applied maths book is everyone else using? I'm using Applied Maths a Comprehensive Course for Leaving Cert. Anyone know where to get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

I'm doing Applied Maths as an extra...not sure completely of what book I will be using but almost certain it'll be Fundamental Applied Maths by Oliver Murphy. I hope it isn't though cause that book is not supposed to look very "friendly" :D

As for me, I'm back on the 29th. Kind of looking forward to it, kind of not. After TY I just want to get back into a normal routine, if you know what I mean? I need to start learning stuff again!

Hey, I think I have seen you in the JC thread...if you don't mind me asking, did you skip TY and are you going straight in to 5th year? :)

I'm doing Applied Maths as an extra...not sure completely of what book I will be using but almost certain it'll be Fundamental Applied Maths by Oliver Murphy. I hope it isn't though cause that book is not supposed to look very "friendly" :D

As for me, I'm back on the 29th. Kind of looking forward to it, kind of not. After TY I just want to get back into a normal routine, if you know what I mean? I need to start learning stuff again!

I know how you feel. TY was great, but I prefer the normal school routine.

I'm doing Applied Maths as an extra...not sure completely of what book I will be using but almost certain it'll be Fundamental Applied Maths by Oliver Murphy. I hope it isn't though cause that book is not supposed to look very "friendly" :D!

TBH I don't like when maths books look friendly. I used that book in TY (rented to us) and it was quite good. There is a new edition Of it this year AFAIK.

I saw that yesterday, I don't have to buy my Applied Maths book until a few weeks into the year though, we get a trial period. There's a new edition that looks more light-hearted but tbh I liked the look of the old one. :p
    Hey, I think I have seen you in the JC thread...if you don't mind me asking, did you skip TY and are you going straight in to 5th year? :)

I did yeah, and I am. :)

I saw that yesterday, I don't have to buy my Applied Maths book until a few weeks into the year though, we get a trial period. There's a new edition that looks more light-hearted but tbh I liked the look of the old one. :p

I did yeah, and I am. :)

Im not the only one then :D

decisions wrote: »
    Im not the only one then :D

Sounds like my school is the only one that doesn't use an Applied Maths book....

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

MWick94 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity and slight boredom, when does everyone go back?

I'm back on the 30th.

Luucky...I'm going back on the 25th :( Only 15days of freedom left...crazy how quick the summer went by

Schonie wrote: »
    Luucky...I'm going back on the 25th :( Only 15days of freedom left...crazy how quick the summer went by

I'd rather be going back on the 25th, if I'm honest.
    Just to get it over and done with.
    I only have 19 days of freedom.

• Advertisement

That's ridiculous! Why was it not held during normal class time?

Blame the teacher and I think I have her for LC HL Maths again.:mad:

Who skipped TY? I did and think Im going to regret:/

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Hi all :D will be doing

Maths (O)
    Irish (O)
    Geography (H)
    Music (H)
    French (H)
    Business (H)
    English (H)
    Possibly Phys-Chem (Yippe :P)

Going in from TY which was a slight waste as we didn't do anything worthwhile :( oh well, time to get the brain working again !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I guess it doesn't really make a difference but it's still kinda hard to think that I'll be in sixth year.. I mean just a while ago I was in first year and I actually used to be afraid of sixth years..they looked big and so serious lol:D And now I'll be one...:P
    I guess I'm kinda scared:o

Don't be! Leaving Cert was the best year I ever experienced in school, purely from a social point of view. Yes it is tough going with study but disregarding that it is such a good year. This is coming from the person who absolutely adored TY, LC was a million times better. :D

Nothing at all to be scary about. Getting to tell first years off is great craic sure! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

Don't be! Leaving Cert was the best year I ever experienced in school, purely from a social point of view. Yes it is tough going with study but disregarding that it is such a good year. This is coming from the person who absolutely adored TY, LC was a million times better. :D

Nothing at all to be scary about. Getting to tell first years off is great craic sure! :pac:

Hehe...thanks:) I know I'm being overly dramatic but it's just so nervewrecking y'know:D

Wow! the 25th? I've only heard of the first years in my school going back that early!

While I did enjoy TY, I did notice that I didn't like the lack of academic work. Also, quite a few people I know regretted doing TY. It's just a personal preference, but I doubt you will regret it.

Think of it this way, you get out of secondary school a year earlier!

Surprisingly, you just made me feel a whole lot better about going into 5th year! Thank you. :)

While I did enjoy TY, I did notice that I didn't like the lack of academic work. Also, quite a few people I know regretted doing TY. It's just a personal preference, but I doubt you will regret it.

Think of it this way, you get out of secondary school a year earlier!

I completely agree :) I really enjoyed TY but for me it was great up until about March and then I just wanted it to end and I know that a lot of people felt the same. There was nothing to do and I find that I need to be learning stuff to stop getting bored as nerdy as that makes me sound! I wouldn't say that I regret TY because it really showed me what I want to do in college and I learned a lot of new things but sometimes I do find myself thinking "what if I hadn't done TY? I'd only have one year left in school"

As MWick94 said, it is all on personal preference. I don't think you will regret it. To be honest, I think you will find it easier going straight into 5th year rather tha us going into 5th year after TY. You have 1 less year in school so keep thinking that!

• Advertisement

2 Weeks Left :eek::(:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement