Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Good luck getting an A in any subject.

I don't need luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Desire. wrote: »
    I don't need luck.
    Haha do any of us? No i didn't mean that in a harsh but it's tough to get an A. If I were you I wouldn't drop to pass English it's really easy to get a decent amount of points with a bit of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

English is a very transferable subject tbh, good coherency is probably very useful in all subjects. I always found that being reasonably good at English really helped when writing essays/accounts in other subjects back in the days of the big bad JC. And I'd imagine it's quite a difficult subject to fail, although probably very hard to get an A in, so I'd give it a fair try at any rate. You might be surprised. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

God I hate to have to go through 5th and 6th year again... :o

G'luck guys and gals

Slow Show wrote: »
    English is a very transferable subject tbh, good coherency is probably very useful in all subjects. I always found that being reasonably good at English really helped when writing essays/accounts in other subjects back in the days of the big bad JC. And I'd imagine it's quite a difficult subject to fail, although probably very hard to get an A in, so I'd give it a fair try at any rate. You might be surprised. :p

It's just effort though! I'm not creative, and I'm hopeless at composition. Paper two... I just hate paper two.

I don't see much point in attempting it if I'm not going to do well. I'm aiming for 4 A1s anyway, and then hopefully 2 A2s, or else B1s.

• Advertisement

It's just effort though! I'm not creative, and I'm hopeless at composition. Paper two... I just hate paper two.

I don't see much point in attempting it if I'm not going to do well. I'm aiming for 4 A1s anyway, and then hopefully 2 A2s, or else B1s.

But paper 2 is all preparation. You do everything before the exam. Seriously it's the one subject where you'd have to be very very weak at to come even close to failing. And aiming for grades is great but an A1 is very hard to get. Nevermind in four subjects. But again I wish you the best of luck.

I thought you were doing TY, no? :p

Paper Two is a completely different kettle of fish in LC from what I've heard, (and looked up in my spare time >.>) but err yeah fair point if you might have hated it before, it's like an immense leap in standard with comparatives thrown in for the craic. Sure do what you want, I'd just give it a shot if I were you. :)

But paper 2 is all preparation. You do everything before the exam. Seriously it's the one subject where you'd have to be very very weak at to come even close to failing..

I'm not going to fail, I know that. I would be well capable of getting a B or a C, but I just don't see the point.

English would take up so much time over the two years and I just think it would be a waste of my time.

I'm not going to fail, I know that. I would be well capable of getting a B or a C, but I just don't see the point.

English would take up so much time over the two years and I just think it would be a waste of my time.

You dont see the point of getting 70 points?
    English doesnt take up have as much time as half of the subjects you're doing. You could read your texts over christmas and knowing them is half the job.

Capable of a B or C? Dude, seriously, I know people who were absolutely certain of A1's in various subjects before the LC and now they're just hoping to scrape a B3. There's no way of knowing how the exams will go for you, if you're capable of a B or C in English then you really should seriously consider keeping it on, I highly doubt it's as much work as a subject like Maths (although that may be significantly less work these days..although I think it's stupid that a B3 in Maths is worth the same as an A1 in anything else, but that's a rant for another day).

• Advertisement

I thought you were doing TY, no? :p

I am. :P

Just thought I would post here.

Capable of a B or C? Dude, seriously, I know people who were absolutely certain of A1's in various subjects before the LC and now they're just hoping to scrape a B3. There's no way of knowing how the exams will go for you, if you're capable of a B or C in English then you really should seriously consider keeping it on, I highly doubt it's as much work as a subject like Maths (although that may be significantly less work these days..although I think it's stupid that a B3 in Maths is worth the same as an A1 in anything else, but that's a rant for another day).

I'm with you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Hey Everybody!

I am starting 5th year in September. I just finished TY so I have forgotten everything! My subjects are:

Maths
    English
    Irish
    French
    Biology
    Physics
    Music
    Applied Maths (in the Institute)

All higher level subjects!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

But whats the point? You can only count 6?
    So you have space to make a mess of one subject and not ruin everything? A paper could go against you.

Also, high point courses can count beyond 600 i think. The average points for people entering Medicine in Trinity was 726(?) in 2010.
    Good luck getting an A in any subject.
    Are you actually serious or just trolling? An A2 is pretty manageable for most people. Not in every subject but one overall is more than manageable.
    I highly doubt it's as much work as a subject like Maths (although that may be significantly less work these days..although I think it's stupid that a B3 in Maths is worth the same as an A1 in anything else, but that's a rant for another day).
    Why do you feel it shouldn't be worth more than other subjects though? You said yourself it takes significantly more time than other subjects. Why should it only be worth the same as a so called easy subject, ag science for example, when it requires much more work? Surely a greater challenge should have a greater reward?

Jackobyte wrote: »

Why do you feel it shouldn't be worth more than other subjects though? You said yourself it takes significantly more time than other subjects. Why should it only be worth the same as a so called easy subject, ag science for example, when it requires much more work? Surely a greater challenge should have a greater reward?

I think you read that wrong, I actually said that it takes less work nowadays what with Project Maths. Obviously I can't be a fair judge of that, not having done either the old course or Project Maths yet but the general consensus seems to be that Project Maths, while more practical, is much easier than the old course.

Some people simply aren't mathematically inclined. I know some really smart people who just can't make sense of trickier parts of maths, and vice versa. Awarding more points to people with the natural ability for maths is just blatantly unfair. I can concede that Maths may be more time-consuming for those without natural flair and ability for it, but really? A B3 in Maths being worth the same as an A1 in any other subject...? I just find it ridiculous.

Some of the best doctors and lawyers and any other profession did pass Maths for their Leaving Cert, and that more than likely hasn't noticeably hampered them. Honours Maths is important for courses like Maths and Engineering, yeah, but why should someone applying for Law or English have to have their chances of getting a place in their desired course reduced because some of their competitors are good at maths when it is of no importance to the college course?

I agree that anyone with the ability for honours maths should try it, but I don't think any subject warrants extra points, unless in a scenario where a candidate would be awarded extra points for getting an A1 in maths if applying to a Maths or Engineering course (or other maths-focused courses), or the same for getting an A1 in English if applying for English. The majority of people will probably not have to use more complex maths than JC HL in their lifetime, so for the 19000th time, extra points for maths is unfair. :p

Sorry Jacko for going way too far and writing way too much but I feel a bit strongly about this. I'm not biased either, I'm fairly certain that I'll be able for Honours Maths and if I continue along the same vein, do rather well points-wise, but I'd change it all if I could.

Ridiculously off-topic but I can't resist 4AM debates. :pac:

EDIT: Oh also, there are no easy subjects. Subjects such as Ag Science, Economics or Business et al may be considered softer subjects, but they have rigorous marking schemes so I wouldn't consider them to be easy at all.

Jackobyte wrote: »

Also, high point courses can count beyond 600 i think. The average points for people entering Medicine in Trinity was 726(?) in 2010.

Double post but meh, that includes the HPAT, points for medicine are capped at 560, with every five points scored after 550 counting as one point and your Leaving Cert total is added to your HPAT score to make your overall score.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think you read that wrong, I actually said that it takes less work nowadays what with Project Maths. Obviously I can't be a fair judge of that, not having done either the old course or Project Maths yet but the general consensus seems to be that Project Maths, while more practical, is much easier than the old course.

Some people simply aren't mathematically inclined. I know some really smart people who just can't make sense of trickier parts of maths, and vice versa. Awarding more points to people with the natural ability for maths is just blatantly unfair. I can concede that Maths may be more time-consuming for those without natural flair and ability for it, but really? A B3 in Maths being worth the same as an A1 in any other subject...? I just find it ridiculous.

Some of the best doctors and lawyers and any other profession did pass Maths for their Leaving Cert, and that more than likely hasn't noticeably hampered them. Honours Maths is important for courses like Maths and Engineering, yeah, but why should someone applying for Law or English have to have their chances of getting a place in their desired course reduced because some of their competitors are good at maths when it is of no importance to the college course?

I agree that anyone with the ability for honours maths should try it, but I don't think any subject warrants extra points, unless in a scenario where a candidate would be awarded extra points for getting an A1 in maths if applying to a Maths or Engineering course (or other maths-focused courses), or the same for getting an A1 in English if applying for English. The majority of people will probably not have to use more complex maths than JC HL in their lifetime, so for the 19000th time, extra points for maths is unfair. :p

Sorry Jacko for going way too far and writing way too much but I feel a bit strongly about this. I'm not biased either, I'm fairly certain that I'll be able for Honours Maths and if I continue along the same vein, do rather well points-wise, but I'd change it all if I could.

Ridiculously off-topic but I can't resist 4AM debates. :pac:

EDIT: Oh also, there are no easy subjects. Subjects such as Ag Science, Economics or Business et al may be considered softer subjects, but they have rigorous marking schemes so I wouldn't consider them to be easy at all.

The general consensus of people who have not done the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

I think and will always believe that project maths is easier. You have the people who have done the old course and say it is easier, and you have the people coming from junior cert maths saying it's not.....I hve looked at both papers and at every level it is decidedly easier tbh.

Fifth years, an hour of study a day this year will be like 3 hours next year :P do it now and do it right :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

magicianz wrote: »
    I think and will always believe that project maths is easier. You have the people who have done the old course and say it is easier, and you have the people coming from junior cert maths saying it's not.....I hve looked at both papers and at every level it is decidedly easier tbh.

Fifth years, an hour of study a day this year will be like 3 hours next year :P do it now and do it right :P

Looking at the 2 papers you could possibly say that the normal paper is slightly easier on mathematical content, but it is harder on problem solving. Then take into account that we did not have a book for paper 1, only got our paper 2 book in 6th year and didnt have any exam papers, just a couple sample paper 2s and 1 sample paper 1 that was about 3 miles from the real thing, which becomes a more difficult exam to take?

AdamD wrote: »
    Looking at the 2 papers you could possibly say that the normal paper is slightly easier on mathematical content, but it is harder on problem solving. Then take into account that we did not have a book for paper 1, only got our paper 2 book in 6th year and didnt have any exam papers, just a couple sample paper 2s and 1 sample paper 1 that was about 3 miles from the real thing, which becomes a more difficult exam to take?

I agree that no past papers is annoying but everyone is on the same footing so it all balances out. I couldn't care less how the courses are different though, I'm doing Project Maths now and that's that, I just don't care much for extra points. At all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

We've done Statistics and Probability from Project Maths and it is different but by no means easier! Some difficult topics have been cut from the course but there is a lot of work in Statistics. In the PM book we have, the Stats chapter alone is 115 pages long. That compares to something like less than 30 pages in the old book (I have the old books too). Also it'll be made harder for some because it's being taught by teachers who aren't as used to teaching Project Maths, simple as.

Don't get me wrong, I love it, but don't go saying it's easier!

I don't agree that bonus points should only be given for Maths. What about English? Even if you go into Science you need to be good at expressing yourself coherently. Now if you're weak at English but strong in Maths your points won't suffer so much. You could even let English slip a little (get a C where you needed a B before) because you're getting 25 points extra in Maths. Offering a better reward won't make better mathematicians of us...

I also feel very strongly about the whole bonus points lark. I wrote about it here a while back and here about why the point system needs to go...just in case you're interested in a bit of light reading :3

Less of the fun stuff and more statistics (if it's anything like JC level, it's not too tricky but unbelievably boring?)...yay. Oh God, I thought my days of cumulative frequency curves were behind me. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Lawdss got my Geography, Business, Economics, Religion, Maths and French books today.
    Need to get the Irish, English and project maths book the next day.

Anyone else looking forward to 5th year a little bit? :P Or maybe its just the whole buying school stuffs, I love buying school stuffs for some reason! :pac:

Less of the fun stuff and more statistics (if it's anything like JC level, it's not too tricky but unbelievably boring?)...yay. Oh God, I thought my days of cumulative frequency curves were behind me. :(

Having done all but the last bit of it, it's actually grand. Lots of it, tricky enough at times (I never liked Stats) and very applicable to real life. Lots done with standard deviations, correlation coefficients, and actually having to think about what the stats mean. It requires a different way of thinking. Frequency curves are explored in terms of their shape and what that means - especially the normal distribution. So much more useful in real life, though not so good if you're going on to do pure maths in college. That said, the vast majority of students won't go on to do pure maths.

deise_girl wrote: »
    Lawdss got my Geography, Business, Economics, Religion, Maths and French books today.

Anyone else looking forward to 5th year a little bit? :P Or maybe its just the whole buying school stuffs, I love buying school stuffs for some reason! :pac:

Yeah. I am kind of looking forward to it so you aren't on your own! After TY I just really want to get back in to a routine of learning stuff again lol. I am dreading the amount of work we are "apparently" going to get though...or maybe that's just the present 5th years trying to scare me. Physics, Music, French, Applied Maths, Biology, Maths, English and Irish for me :) All honours. Oh the joy!

deise_girl wrote: »

Someone else is excited about it. :pac: I kinda am, it feels like such a mature step-up from JC, like no one's like 'LOL LC LOL' and subjects are different and hopefully better. My school hasn't sent out our booklist yet though, so it's somewhat diluted.
    MegGustaa wrote: »
    Having done all but the last bit of it, it's actually grand. Lots of it, tricky enough at times (I never liked Stats) and very applicable to real life. Lots done with standard deviations, correlation coefficients, and actually having to think about what the stats mean. It requires a different way of thinking. Frequency curves are explored in terms of their shape and what that means - especially the normal distribution. So much more useful in real life, though not so good if you're going on to do pure maths in college. That said, the vast majority of students won't go on to do pure maths.

That all sounds a bit horrible, Statistics was without a doubt my least favourite part of the JC course despite it being so ridiculously simple...like even if it's more challenging, I'm still going to detest it. I guess if we actually have to think about it though it's an improvement, maybe I'll end up loving it and becoming a statistician (if that's a real job).

That all sounds a bit horrible, Statistics was without a doubt my least favourite part of the JC course despite it being so ridiculously simple...like even if it's more challenging, I'm still going to detest it. I guess if we actually have to think about it though it's an improvement, maybe I'll end up loving it and becoming a statistician (if that's a real job).

Not gonna lie, I sort of had a love-hate relationship with it. But it is somewhat interesting. We haven't done this yet, but you do a bit on applying statistics to probability which will probably be interesting too :3

And yeah, statistician is a job! Pretty important one, too...Look at all the work gone into the census this year :D

MegGustaa wrote: »

And yeah, statistician is a job! Pretty important one, too...Look at all the work gone into the census this year :D

Statisticians are among some of the most highly paid mathematicians in the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I'm gonna agree with the kinda being excited feeling too. I think I just want to get back into some proper work again. I'm not saying that what we did in TY wasn't important or of any use but I kind of miss the feeling of actually learning stuff for a purpose.

I haven't made it as far as the bookshop yet but I have a book list sooooo we'll probably head down next week and see what happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement