Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

MegGustaa wrote: »
    I was going to go to bed early but then I started watching the series Once Upon A Time (I really recommend it, though it's not on Irish or UK TV yet) and yeah, I was watching episode 4 at 2 this morning >.<
    I was going to go to bed early* last night but started watching New Girl and ended up running through a chunk of the episodes until 6.30 this morning. It's such a feel-good programme. :D

* my idea of early is probably vastly different to yours. I was going to head to bed at 2am, which would be early based on my current sleeping pattern, until I started watching New Girl. I started episode 5 at 5.50am >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

I've been staying up writing and/or aimlessly browsing the web on my iPad until 3 most mornings for the last week. I was going to go to bed early but then I started watching the series Once Upon A Time (I really recommend it, though it's not on Irish or UK TV yet) and yeah, I was watching episode 4 at 2 this morning >.< Still managed to pull myself out at 8:30 for Community Service (Silver Gaisce...)

But I've to be up at 7 tomorrow and I don't think I'll manage it XD

I'm doing the Silver Gaisce too...what are you doing for it? :D

Japanese (for the LC), Badminton and visiting a Nursing home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Japanese (for the LC), Badminton and visiting a Nursing home :)

Cool! I'm doing Voice Training, Swimming and for the community category I'm playing the organ at mass every weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Apart from the fact that I'll get to see people tomorrow, I'm not looking forward to it at all.......:(

I've also just realised that we're having more exams in about a month......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Anybody here doing physics? I'm going to presume there is and drive on cause I have a question that needs answering!

In the experiment to measure the focal length of a concave mirror, how do you read the focal length from the graph of 1/u against 1/v?

Many thanks, and apoligies if the question makes no sense, ill do my best to clarify if needed!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Think I was half asleep for most of school today... |: I remember most of my daydreams but very little of what we actually did. Only 5 weeks to go.....

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Anybody here doing physics? I'm going to presume there is and drive on cause I have a question that needs answering!

In the experiment to measure the focal length of a concave mirror, how do you read the focal length from the graph of 1/u against 1/v?

Many thanks, and apoligies if the question makes no sense, ill do my best to clarify if needed!

Where the line cuts an axis is 1/F so to get the focal length you just invert that :)

Are you nocturnalparachute?

yup thats me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Where the line cuts an axis is 1/F so to get the focal length you just invert that :)

That's pretty much it. You take the average of the two values for where it cuts the axes and let that equal 1/f. Cross multiply to solve for f then.

We found out our third English text today - Wuthering Heights :D We've done How Many Miles To Babylon and The Constant Gardener too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Sound lads, saved me a lot of hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

32 days till midterm! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Results so far: 3x A2 (English, Irish, Business), 1x B3 (French, and although the mistakes I made are just down to learning more technique as opposed to my grammar and vocab, the result annoys me.)

Happy so far. Maths, Physics and Chemistry still left. I'm quite hopeful for Phys and Chem, and not sure what to make of Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Guys, how does the 25 extra points for HL maths work? Does it simply mean that any grade higher than a D3 gets 25 points added on to it on your results sheet?

Or is it only in certain courses/universities that it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

0mega wrote: »
    Guys, how does the 25 extra points for HL maths work? Does it simply mean that any grade higher than a D3 gets 25 points added on to it on your results sheet?

Or is it only in certain courses/universities that it works?

Precisely, it works everywhere, it's standard now!

My Christmas results were grand. 3 A1's (Biology, Chemistry, Accounting), a B1 (Irish), B2 (English), a B3 (French) and a C1 (Maths). So including bonus points, that's 560 points. So I'm happy with that but I want to do better at summer, just because...:pac: And I'm kind of making it my aim in life to get an A in my French summer test and a B in Maths. Bit ambitious for French at least but if I don't try I'll never get anywhere. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Slow Show wrote: »
    Precisely, it works everywhere, it's standard now!

My Christmas results were grand. 3 A1's (Biology, Chemistry, Accounting), a B1 (Irish), B2 (English), a B3 (French) and a C1 (Maths). So including bonus points, that's 560 points. So I'm happy with that but I want to do better at summer, just because...:pac: And I'm kind of making it my aim in life to get an A in my French summer test and a B in Maths. Bit ambitious for French at least but if I don't try I'll never get anywhere. :)

So do you only include the 25 extra points if Maths is one of your best six?

Got most of my results just waiting on Accounting.
    A1's in Spanish and Biology A2 in Music :D (only started in 5th year) B1 in English, Maths :eek: and a B2 in Irish. So 565, very happy tbh.

I amn't sure about your question but what I am confused about is this: say you get As and Bs in everything but you get a C in HL maths...do you not get the extra 25 points then because it technically isn't in your top 6? If anyone could clear this up for me it'd be great!

kevin12345 wrote: »
    So do you only include the 25 extra points if Maths is one of your best six?

Got most of my results just waiting on Accounting.
    A1's in Spanish and Biology A2 in Music :D (only started in 5th year) B1 in English, Maths :eek: and a B2 in Irish. So 565, very happy tbh.

Only realized now that you had already asked this! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

I amn't sure about your question but what I am confused about is this: say you get As and Bs in everything but you get a C in HL maths...do you not get the extra 25 points then because it technically isn't in your top 6? If anyone could clear this up for me it'd be great!

My understanding of the extra points is something like this..
    Say for example, doing 7 subjects, you got 5 A1's, an A2 and a B1 in HL maths. "Technically" maths isn't in your best 6 so in the old system so you would come put with 590 Points.

However, with the bonus points system your points score for maths adds up to 100 points, 10 points more than your A2, bringing you up to 600 points. So, for points purposes, you count your 5 A1s and your B1 in HL maths as it is worth more points than an A2 in another subject.

It's kinda the same way that you would count a B3 in a HL subject over an A1 in ordinary, because the B3 is worth more points, am I making any sense?

That's it to the best of my understanding but I don't know if I've been of any use because I could be
    A) totally wrong
    or B) right but I'm not making any sense whatsoever.

So I hope I didnt confuse you further :/

The easiest way to look at the bonus points issue is not to think of them as a bonus. Simply consider the points for Maths to be on a totally separate scale to other subjects, where A1 = 125, A2 = 115 etc.

If you passed HL Maths but still got higher grades (points-wise) in 6 other subjects then you don't count Maths at all. Counting those extra 25 points would essentially be counting 7 subjects :)

• Advertisement

+A1 HL maths, A2 HL Physics. If I get that A in Chemistry, that gives me 6 As and will get me somewhere around 600 equivalent (inc. bonus points). :)

Out of interest, are many people here studying yet on a regular basis? I feel like I should be but I also feel like we haven't covered enough material to need revision yet?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭smurphy11

I feel like I should be but I also feel like we haven't covered enough material to need revision yet?

thats exactly how i feel, im getting bored and am almost looking forward to completing more of the course in certain subjects so i can start doing exam papers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Out of interest, are many people here studying yet on a regular basis? I feel like I should be but I also feel like we haven't covered enough material to need revision yet?
    My parents tell me I should be studying but with the amount of homework I get it's hard to even think about it! I'm going to start soon hopefully, maybe just going through exam papers. Or else I'll just study for class tests and keep on top of everything.

I feel like I should be but I also feel like we haven't covered enough material to need revision yet?
    Much the same. My test results are doing well and I haven't put in serious study because there simply isn't a lot of revision to be done

I studied for my Christmas exams, however I don't really see the point in doing on-going revision of the stuff we've done this year, already, because it would take away from the amount of time I can spend on the things I'm learning for the first time. It's more important to focus on learning the new stuff well the first time than constantly going over things we've already done, I think :)

So I got A1 in Chemistry, leaving 2 A1s and 4 A2s, which works out as 560 points equiv (or 585 with bonus). Pretty happy with that, but got a lot of work to do to bring up that French B3, and keep the points up.

Got all our results back! :) 595 with bonus points so fairly delighted!

Now to keep it up . . . .

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Got all our results back! :) 595 with bonus points so fairly delighted!

Now to keep it up . . . .

:eek:

Well done! I got 520 with bonus points and I was happy with that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Yee all did amazing in maths! :P
    I got 3 A1s , 1 A2, 1 B1(84% >.<) , 1 B2 and in maths a D1 :P
    They're all HL so it works out at 555 points but the bonus points dont even count for me..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement