Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭smurphy11

how much has everyone done in maths?

so far weve done all of algebra, logs indices, trig, the line, the circle and just started differentition. is this good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Well we've done all algebra, logs, sequences & series, all stats, all probibility, the constructions, geometry one and were on the second one now. Dont know how much of the course that is but i feel were going along fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

MGMTea wrote: »
    same ! we were on Macbeth for a good while, only into Poetry now
    Don't worry, you'll have loads of time to finish the English Course! We went through 3 teachers in 5th year, each of which were incredibly slow. We got the bulk of our work done this year, just finishing off our 7th poet! :P

Haven't got my Mock back yet, but would be surprised with less than a B2! So don't worry ye'll have time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Well we've done all algebra, logs, sequences & series, all stats, all probibility, the constructions, geometry one and were on the second one now. Dont know how much of the course that is but i feel were going along fine!

:O Is this honours? We've done all of algebra, area & volume, logs & indices and we've just started sequences..

Where is everyone at in chemistry? We're doing volumetric analysis: oxidation and reduction. Feel we're moving at a fast enough pace considering we had over half the book on our Christmas test..

In English we've done Macbeth, 2 of our comparatives and 1 poet. We haven't done any essays yet.

Yup honours :) oh we've done area and volume too actually :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

We've done all of algebra, all of probability, stats 1 and nearly finished stats 2, and all of the line and the circle. I think we're going fast enough... considering we've done a good few exam qs too.

how is everyone doing in physics? We've done geometric optics, Nuclear physics (electron radioactivity etc.) and heat. Just started mechanics. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

MWick94 wrote: »
    How much of the English course have you all done so far?

We've done Bishop, Rich and Mahon in poetry, finished Macbeth and we're on the second of our three comparative texts, which are Sive, I'm Not Scared (film) and Wuthering Heights.

3 poets and all 3 comparitives.

Haven't looked at paper 1 yet, I think we're just getting the bulk of the course out of the way and then tieing up the loose ends in 6th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

how is everyone doing in physics? We've done geometric optics, Nuclear physics (electron radioactivity etc.) and heat. Just started mechanics. :)

We've done all of mechanics, reflection, refraction, lenses and were half way through heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭fusuf

MWick94 wrote: »
    How much of the English course have you all done so far?

We've done Bishop, Rich and Mahon in poetry, finished Macbeth and we're on the second of our three comparative texts, which are Sive, I'm Not Scared (film) and Wuthering Heights.
    We've done two poets: Bisshop and Mahon. We've watched The Constant Gardner a few times and summarized each scene. We're about 2 thirds way through reading our novel "Never Let Me Go" and we've been summarizing one chapter every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭fusuf

Has anyone started on their special topic for Honours History? I dont have a clue what to do. I dont want to pick something that I canty find any sources for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

fusuf wrote: »
    Has anyone started on their special topic for Honours History? I dont have a clue what to do. I dont want to pick something that I canty find any sources for.
    The Spanish civil war could be interesting and I won't be taking it as another lad picked it so don't want to just rob it off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

smurphy11 wrote: »
    how much has everyone done in maths?

so far weve done all of algebra, logs indices, trig, the line, the circle and just started differentition. is this good or bad?

We've done Stats, Probability, Trig, Complex Numbers, Differentiation and we're halfway through Coordinate Geometry of the Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

Lads, these comparative essays are killing me.

How can they expect us to compare and contrast three texts and explain our answer to the question at the same time?!

We've done all of mechanics, reflection, refraction, lenses and were half way through heat.

Christ we've done loads so! We're all the way down on Static Electricity!

English teacher informed us this week he'd be prepping us to answer Single Text questions on Wuthering Heights as well as Macbeth, and doing some comparative on Macbeth, in case the Macbeth question on our Leaving is nasty...yay more work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Just after coping that I've like 4 days to read Circle of Friends. Oops...

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

Hey I shouldn't be posting here but this seems to be a busy thread so what the hell...

Is History hard to pick up for leaving cert??

0000879k wrote: »
    Hey I shouldn't be posting here but this seems to be a busy thread so what the hell...

Pick up? Did you not do it for the Junior Cert?

It's not very difficult at all, anyway. It's a lot of work, a lot of essays, but when I think about it there's nothing you'd absolutely have needed to know before doing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

If you are willing to put the effort and work into it I don't see why you can't get a least a good grade. Also if you have a good interest in History then thats a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BoomSha

Did work experience for LCVP last week, now I'd rather be at work than school. :(

Also, greetings everyone!

• Advertisement

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    If you are willing to put the effort and work into it I don't see why you can't get a least a good grade. Also if you have a good interest in History then thats a bonus.

Well I'm planning to put it down as my number 5 spot.
    I want to do Accounting, Business, french and geography but my guidance counsellor said I may not get both business! :,(
    And seeing as I really don't wanna do science, DCG or construction and if you add the fact I'm good at essay writing and am interested in history I think it would work.

Has anybody picked it up in 5th and find it hard? Would it be harder to pick up than other subjects?

To be honest, I've never heard of a school that doesn't do it as a mandatory subject for Junior Cert. I don't do it myself, but as far as I know, at LC level, it concentrates on more modern history in greater detail rather than everything with little detail(someone correct me on this if I'm wrong). You could always just borrow someone's history book from JC and read through the topics to be covered on the LC course. The JC doesn't go into massive detail so you'd surely get through the parts you'd need with just a little bit of work over the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

History for LC is relatively easy to pick up. Source: Several friends who chose to pick it up.

Some basic knowledge of the JC 3rd year course is essential; but those topics will be discussed in greater detail on the LC course. Open a JC history book and read up a bit on WW2, the Cold War, 1900s+ Irish History etc. If you've got absolutely no interest in doing that, don't do the course.

Great thanks lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Hi guys, I haven't been posting in this thread for ages, but I just wanted to ask a question to anyone who's doing physics. How far are ye in the course so far? I want to know if our teacher is going fast/slow with us. We use Real World Physics and we're finishing chapter 15 on heat. However, we skipped chapters 12 and 13 because he said to leave it until next year.

I'd really appreciate replies from any physicists out there!

Thanks,
    James.

DarkDusk wrote: »
    Hi guys, I haven't been posting in this thread for ages, but I just wanted to ask a question to anyone who's doing physics. How far are ye in the course so far? I want to know if our teacher is going fast/slow with us. We use Real World Physics and we're finishing chapter 15 on heat. However, we skipped chapters 12 and 13 because he said to leave it until next year.

Thanks,
    James.
    We've kinda bounced around the physics book so I can't really say how much we've actually done without it in front of me, but we did just have a test on 16, 17 and 18 (wave motion and wave nature of light and sound). We are now on the Electron section around p300 or so, covering cathode rays and thermionic emission and the likes, but we haven't done any of the heat sections.

DarkDusk wrote: »

Thanks,
    James.

we're following the book and we're nearly finished static electricity which is around chapter 22 i think. To be honest though i think she's going way too fast, haven't a notion what's going on half the time!

Hey I got my subject forms today.. and although I thought I knew what I wanted... now that what I write down on this paper will determine my next 2 years, my leaving cert points and college courses / career.. I'm having some doubts.
    If I were to do these subjects I would aim for the grades below.. so the 'hard' should be related to those grades in the subjects..
    History - enjoyable? A2
    Business - Hard? A2
    Physics - Hard/Boring?? B1
    Geography - hard?? B1/A2

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Hey I got my subject forms today.. and although I thought I knew what I wanted... now that what I write down on this paper will determine my next 2 years, my leaving cert points and college courses / career.. I'm having some doubts.
    If I were to do these subjects I would aim for the grades below.. so the 'hard' should be related to those grades in the subjects..
    History - enjoyable? A2
    Business - Hard? A2
    Geography - hard?? B1/A2

I kinda found it hard to follow your post but I'm taking you're in 3rd year or TY and picking subjects for the LC...

Physics is quite difficult and you need to work at it. If you like the subject from JC then you should pick it, and if you have a good understanding of maths. It is a very interesting subject, probably the most interesting in the LC, but is boring in some parts (light-oh I hate you!). To get a B1 you'll have to work really hard imho, but you shouldn't have any bother if you have a passion for the subject.

Business in handy enough, you basically just have to learn most of it off. There's nothing really complicated on the course and is also another interesting subject from my point of view. It's also easy enough to catch up if you miss a few classes etc. A2 is quite possible if you get a lot of practice with the papers and again, learn everything off by heart!

Can't really comment on Geography, I was about to pick it but it clashed with physics. There's supposed to be a lot of learning off in it and loads of stuff to cover. Essays are also a big part of the subject, like history.

Anyone feel free to correct me on this/add to this if you want. ;)

Hope this helps,
    James.

• Advertisement

Geography - hard?? B1/A2
    I only do Physics from the list. I enjoy it most of the time, and do well, but there are boring parts of the coursework (lens and mirrors, etc.). In terms of grades, there aren't many A's in my class, maybe 2 or 3 from a class of 18 at Christmas. I honestly can't say about the number of B's. It does have a basis in Maths, so problem solving is needed to an extent (solving from a given formula in many cases), and there is quite a few experiments and definitions that need to be learnt. Would you have any interest in Applied Maths by the way? There is a massive overlap with the mechanics section of Physics and the entire App. Maths course, but that doesn't mean App. Maths should be taken lightly.

I don't do Geography myself, but I do know it has a surprisingly low A rate, one of the lowest of any of the subjects on the LC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement