Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Colm! wrote: »
    Had to rescue this from a few pages back. How y'all doin?

I'd be doing a lot better if it was this time tomorrow... I NEED midterm right now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Glee_GG wrote: »
    damm them for getting to do Heaney and Yeats for poetry:(

I can't envy them because they have no Adrienne Rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 EoinOCall

Once Derek Mahon comes up for us next year I'm sorted.. by far easiest poet on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Midterm BABII :D

Anyone know the process of Law in Trinity?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FunTimess

Any fifth years going to Bru na Pairce in summer for the maths/irish course?

• Advertisement

FunTimess wrote: »

Yeah I'm going for Irish in August :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Yup :) Irish in June :)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Probably end up doing the Irish course since it's not too far from where I live. My brother went a few years ago though, said its like a Nazi regime inside there by some of them :L

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

where bru na pairce?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Bump!

God dammit I hate poetry. Really really really hate poetry :mad:

Were doing Elizabeth Bishop atm, and I feel like killing myself trying to understand it, no exageration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Bump!

Were doing Elizabeth Bishop atm, and I feel like killing myself trying to understand it, no exageration.
    I feel your pain I'm doing her myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I feel your pain I'm doing her myself.

I'm not a fan of poetry either, but Bishop really takes the cake. Our 5th year class did her poetry back in September... I just couldnt seem to enjoy any of them, were doing Hopkins at the moment and although he is difficult, I enjoy reading his poetry.

On a side note what novel are ye all studying for ye're comparative text? We just finished 1984 before we started Hopkins, and to be honest I really enjoyed it. Bits of it were tedious, i.e Goldstein's book, but overall I did enjoy it, it's certainly thought provoking

buyer95 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of poetry either, but Bishop really takes the cake. Our 5th year class did her poetry back in September... I just couldnt seem to enjoy any of them, were doing Hopkins at the moment and although he is difficult, I enjoy reading his poetry.

On a side note what novel are ye all studying for ye're comparative text? We just finished 1984 before we started Hopkins, and to be honest I really enjoyed it. Bits of it were tedious, i.e Goldstein's book, but overall I did enjoy it, it's certainly thought provoking
    For my comparative course we did Old man and the Sea and Great Gatsby as two texts and Casablanca as a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Bump!

I know that feel bro :( doing Adrienne Rich at the moment, not too hard tbh but just.so.boring.

The thing that popped to my head on Bishop is that the only person that can understand the poems is the poet herself :P

Bump!

Ugh hate poetry :mad: Done Hopkins and Wordsworth and they're the most boring people that ever walked the planet :L Just started Derek Mahon though, he doesn't seem too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

How much of the English course have you all done so far?

We've done Bishop, Rich and Mahon in poetry, finished Macbeth and we're on the second of our three comparative texts, which are Sive, I'm Not Scared (film) and Wuthering Heights.

MWick94 wrote: »

We've done Bishop, Rich and Mahon in poetry, finished Macbeth and we're on the second of our three comparative texts, which are Sive, I'm Not Scared (film) and Wuthering Heights.
    We've done The Great Gatsby, Old Man and the Sea and Casablanca (film) for our three comparative texts. In poetry we've done Wordsworth, Mahon, and doing Bishop at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

People really aren't exaggerating about how awful Elizabeth Bishop is. She's just that awful

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Ahh we're doing her now too.. Weird..
    Ive never seen a fish described with so many words before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

I like her :p So far we've done Macbeth, Mahon, Plath and Bishop, Casablanca and all the essays for it, loads of work on paper 1 and we've started our 2nd comparative 'The Book Thief'.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭smurphy11

so far we`ve done wuthering heights, macbeth, plath and mahon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I didn't think Bishop was too bad. At least not as bad as Hopkins. I'd rather a description of a petrol station over a depressed priest anyday.

So far we've got through Macbeth, Hopkins, Bishop and about 3 quarters of Casablanca.

Can't believe its practically March already, only about 12 weeks left then into the dreaded 6th year!

Two poets - Rich and Plath - Macbeth (Single Text), How Many Miles to Babylon, The Constant Gardener and half-way through Wuthering Heights at the moment. Plus a fair few Comprehension A & Bs done, as well as monthly 100 mark Composition questions. I think we might get a third poet done this year too.

Done Wordsworth, Hopkins and currently doing Mahon. Started on Essay Q's. We've done some of the section B and comprehensions. Done Macbeth. Watched I'm Not Scared and finished Sive and we've to do the Book Thief next year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

just seen this thread pop up, i remember last year the lv cert seemed so immaterial, I remember walking past the 6th years doing their mocks without any emotion or thought, thinking it will never happen to me. Now its nearly ****ing summer and the lv cert is in like 16 weeks.....
    so yeah, do the work now and keep your goal in sight, cos ye'l be in my position in jst 50 odd weeks.... i think when you put things in weeks, it seems alot closer... :p

it sounds gay but remember that your only purpose in school is to get a good lv cert. Everyone else in your year is competing with you for points. I consider everyone an enemy for the next 4 months.... give it a shot, il'l work wonders for your grades ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Jaysus have ye all done that much in English already?!

We've just finished Bishop, finished Macbeth and done a good bit of work on P1.

I thought were going fairly slow, then again my teacher is a bit of a retard tbh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

MegGustaa wrote: »
    Two poets - Rich and Plath - Macbeth (Single Text), How Many Miles to Babylon, The Constant Gardener and half-way through Wuthering Heights at the moment. Plus a fair few Comprehension A & Bs done, as well as monthly 100 mark Composition questions. I think we might get a third poet done this year too.

Are you serious? I didnt realize how little weve done...Ritch and Hopkins, Macbeth and we've just started How Many Miles to Babylon..

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

We have done some of Wordsworth - but no questions or anything - just reading through the poems, some Paper 1 essays and comprehensions, Macbeth, watched our film and we just finished reading Purple Hibiscus. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Jaysus have ye all done that much in English already?!

We've just finished Bishop, finished Macbeth and done a good bit of work on P1.

I thought were going fairly slow, then again my teacher is a bit of a retard tbh :rolleyes:

same ! we were on Macbeth for a good while, only into Poetry now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement