Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

smurphy11 wrote: »
    hey decisions just a quick question what app maths book do you use. thanks in advance
    This

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭smurphy11

thanks, what is it like, better than the oliver murphy book?

I think it is, the examples are better explained and there are much more q's for practice, but there are times when we do use the old oliver murphy book. The new one in my teachers opinion is rubbish and she has been teaching for about 200 years now so I shall trust her opinion on that.

What year are you in anyway..?

im in 5th but i am repeating next year to take up applied maths plus im pretty young so theres no harm in an extra year in school, better than doing ty anyway:D

• Advertisement

I almost did that but the lure of the ski trip was too strong...

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I kinda regret doing TY myself.. apart from a trip to Barcelona we didn't really do anything else worthwhile for the whole year. I found myself staying at home a lot of days.

I become a massive recluse over the course of ty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

decisions wrote: »
    I have now reached the :confused: stage of applied maths hw.
    What topic are you on?
    All of you people with little to no homework, I ask you this, why did I end up with some of the most bītchy teachers in the country..? And you all get the sound ones..?
    How much did you get?! :eek:

I've to write a full sraith pictiúr, start an Irish essay and do an exercise in Applied Maths. That's about it.
    smurphy11 wrote: »
    hey decisions just a quick question what app maths book do you use. thanks in advance
    I use the new Oliver Murphy one. This one.
    I think it is, the examples are better explained and there are much more q's for practice, but there are times when we do use the old oliver murphy book. The new one in my teachers opinion is rubbish and she has been teaching for about 200 years now so I shall trust her opinion on that.
    We use both books as well. We get photocopies from your book for homework the odd time but generally work from the Folen's book. The examples from the Oliver Murphy book seem poor tbh. My teacher always does them out on the board in his own method which always seem a more simplistic method of solving the question imo.

The questions are better organised in the Oliver Murphy book though. You are rarely left with having to use the -b formula to solve a question and the answers seem better thought out. They usually end up being a whole number rather than an decimal to 10 places, which better reflects exam questions.

ive gotten 3 5a4 english essays over christmas. well not really there due on the 9th, 16th, and 23rd but ill prob do all of them during the holidays.
    thats all but i might do a bit of revision on maths for the craic, also start looking at applied maths, so if i am to buy an app maths book, which one is the best if im going to be doing it on my own for the next few months

• Advertisement

Jackobyte wrote: »
    What topic are you on?

Just finishing moving wedge q's then starting rel. velocity

That :confused: moment was just a collision q that I just couldn't get my head around. Still haven't got it out...
    How much did you get?! :eek:
    I've to write a full sraith pictiúr, start an Irish essay and do an exercise in Applied Maths. That's about it.

Quite a bit:
    Ap Maths - 2 exam q's and 10 random revision q's
    Maths - a big revision worksheet yoke!
    Physics -experiment writeups (I'm about 5 behind)
    Economics - definitions write up
    Irish - Email
    and I have a load of French study to do (I failed at Christmas)
    We use both books as well. We get photocopies from your book for homework the odd time but generally work from the Folen's book. The examples from the Oliver Murphy book seem poor tbh. My teacher always does them out on the board in his own method which always seem a more simplistic method of solving the question imo.

The questions are better organised in the Oliver Murphy book though. You are rarely left with having to use the -b formula to solve a question and the answers seem better thought out. They usually end up being a whole number rather than an decimal to 10 places, which better reflects exam questions.

I think overall my book is better laid out but it also has a last-minute.com feel about it, it's kinda like the actual q's were an after thought if you get me. So much time was put into layout, each chapter relates to the corresponding exam q, 1 exercise per type of q asked and detailed but clear, easy to understand examples and so on, that there was no time to put into planning the questions.

Just finishing moving wedge q's then starting rel. velocity

That :confused: moment was just a collision q that I just couldn't get my head around. Still haven't got it out...
    Ah, we haven't covered collisions in App. Maths yet. Did a bit of them in Physics alright. So far, we've covered Linear Motion, Projectiles on the horizontal plane and are now doing Newton's Laws.
    Quite a bit:
    App Maths - 2 exam q's and 10 random revision q's
    Maths - a big revision worksheet yoke!
    Physics -experiment writeups (I'm about 5 behind)
    Economics - definitions write up
    Irish - Email
    and I have a load of French study to do (I failed at Christmas)
    Ouch! :o
    That reminds me; I've one Physics and one Chemistry write up to do as well.
    I've about 13 App. Maths questions from the textbook on Newton's Laws.
    I never did my maths revision sheet. I'm hoping it was an optional one for the Christmas tests. It's not getting done now anyway. :pac:

I think overall my book is better laid out but it also has a last-minute.com feel about it, it's kinda like the actual q's were an after thought if you get me. So much time was put into layout, each chapter relates to the corresponding exam q, 1 exercise per type of q asked and detailed but clear, easy to understand examples and so on, that there was no time to put into planning the questions.
    It sounds better laid out alright, but the Folen's one is quite similar in the fact that there is a chapter for each topic, which is then broken down into: example 1, question relating to method used in example 1. Example 2, questions relating to example 2. Etc.

Ah, we haven't covered collisions in App. Maths yet. Did a bit of them in Physics alright. So far, we've covered Linear Motion, Projectiles on the horizontal plane and are now doing Newton's Laws.

We have covered:
    Liner Motion - did it all in ty and are slowly revising it this year.
    Newtons Laws - started in ty, did some revision while doing other chapters and are now finishing it off.
    Projectiles - 100% done this year, doing some exam q's every so often.
    Collisions - 90% done still haven't done any exam q's (I don't have a bloody clue how to do some of the harder questions we have covered...)

I also tried some of the simple rel. velocity q's a while back and they weren't that difficult but I'm not trying any more because I will probably just confuse the hell out of myself. And I have better things to do with my free time, like study.

We have covered:
    Liner Motion - did it all in ty and are slowly revising it this year.
    Newtons Laws - started in ty, did some revision while doing other chapters and are now finishing it off.
    Projectiles - 100% done this year, doing some exam q's every so often.
    Collisions - 90% done still haven't done any exam q's (I don't have a bloody clue how to do some of the harder questions we have covered...)

I also tried some of the simple rel. velocity q's a while back and they weren't that difficult but I'm not trying any more because I will probably just confuse the hell out of myself. And I have better things to do with my free time, like study.
    I'm pretty sure it is illegal against Department Regulations to do actual LC preparation work in TY... >.>

I'm doing it outside school so I've an 1 and a half class once a week. We spent ages doing Linear Motion, did the Projectiles a bit faster and we seem to be doing Newton's Laws even faster again.

'Twas just to give us a little taste....

'Twas just to give us a little taste....
    Sure... :pac:

We also do a prep for LC HL Maths class for half of the year....

We also do a prep for LC HL Maths class for half of the year....
    We played Bullsh*t, the card game, for half the year at the times we were meant to have Maths.

The other half was spent doing a bit of the LC OL Maths course at a very slow pace. It was ridiculous that they didn't stream the classes. I had to sit through 5 months of watching people struggle through the most basic probability questions. >.<

We played Bullsh*t, the card game, for half the year at the times we were meant to have Maths.

The other half was spent doing a bit of the LC OL Maths course at a very slow pace. It was ridiculous that they didn't stream the classes. I had to sit through 5 months of watching people struggle through the most basic probability questions. >.<

We also had OL common maths, and you know what, I nearly failed because after about a month I just started sleeping/reading a book/texting than near the end of the year I did everything we had covered in about 2 weeks, then my teacher gave me another maths book, then I went back asleep.

We also had OL common maths, and you know what, I nearly failed because after about a month I just started sleeping/reading a book/texting than near the end of the year I did everything we had covered in about 2 weeks, then my teacher gave me another maths book, then I went back asleep.
    Can't say I nearly failed it at all now tbh. :pac:

• Advertisement

I think I got a B in the end...

I think I got a B in the end...
    Pretty sure I got A1 in all the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

I wasn't the only one then! Twas the most boring year of school ever

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

I'm pretty sure it is illegal against Department Regulations to do actual LC preparation work in TY... >.>

Nope, you can do something like 10% of the course apparently...sure in Maths we did all of Probability (save for the very, very last bit), most of Statistics (finished in 5th), and all of Complex Numbers in TY. That's standard practice in my school, where TY is compulsory...My brother's in Blackrock College and they seem to actually choose and sit exams in their LC options and all in TY :O Not sure in what depth, as my brother's only in 2nd, but still...

It'd be a terrible waste to do nothing, especially with Maths :P

We have covered:
    Liner Motion - did it all in ty
    Newtons Laws - started in ty
    MegGustaa wrote: »
    Nope, you can do something like 10% of the course apparently...sure in Maths we did all of Probability (save for the very, very last bit), most of Statistics (finished in 5th), and all of Complex Numbers in TY. That's standard practice in my school, where TY is compulsory...My brother's in Blackrock College and they seem to actually choose and sit exams in their LC options and all in TY :O Not sure in what depth, as my brother's only in 2nd, but still...

It'd be a terrible waste to do nothing, especially with Maths :P
    Ah ok. I was under the impression that they couldn't be done with the aim of not doing them again from scratch in 5th Year. And if I was to be pedantic, what decisions did is more than 10%. :P

Ya, we did nothing in Maths in TY. We did some OL Probability and OL Differentiation and that was all.

Ah ok. I was under the impression that they couldn't be done with the aim of not doing them again from scratch in 5th Year. And if I was to be pedantic, what decisions did is more than 10%.

Just a little :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

4 One Direction Tickets!!! Il buy one if yar selling it :)

Merry Christmas Everyone! (even though I am a little late...)

I didn't really ask for anything this year so everything I got was a surprise.
    I got loads of Harry Potter stuff (HP nerd alert...:D)

- Harry Potter - Page to Screen - it's like 600 pages!!!
    - Harry Potter DHpart2 DVD
    - Harry Potter Lego years 1-4, and 5-7 for PS3
    - Harry Potter DHpart2 for PS3 too.
    - Harry Potter Calendar and Posters.
    - Some CDs and an itunes card
    - One Direction tickets (please don't judge me...four tickets - my sister is the fan and she needs someone to go with so I got a ticket too.)
    - Books and some new clothes
    - Oh and, organ shoes! (needed them so badly! Trying to play the organ with shoes that are a size too small isn't such a good idea! :D)

So yeah, I was happy with what I got...it was one of the first years in ages that I actually said "you know what? There isn't actually anything that I need really bad!"

So I hope everyone had a good day! Did you get much hw over the holidays? Most of my teachers were really nice, and the only hw I got was French and Biology. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

My school doesn't even do Applied Maths or Common Maths whatever that is!?
    I hate my school sooo much -_- even though we didn't get any homework i may start working out the maths i never get xD fun fun fun!!
    Anyone here got twitter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

yournerd wrote: »
    My school doesn't even do Applied Maths or Common Maths whatever that is!?
    I hate my school sooo much -_- even though we didn't get any homework i may start working out the maths i never get xD fun fun fun!!
    Anyone here got twitter?
    Never heard of Common Maths, I don't think it's even an option. I want to do applied maths anyway, but I have to do it out of school.
    Also, yeah, why not: twitter me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Colm! wrote: »
    Never heard of Common Maths, I don't think it's even an option. I want to do applied maths anyway, but I have to do it out of school.
    Also, yeah, why not: twitter me
    Think he/she might mean regular Mathematics, which indeed isn't an option because it's compulsory...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement