Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

My teacher loves to read them out but she will only read it if she remembers it as being bad. She also reads out the comments she wrote on the end which she makes up half the time she told me mine was awful before and when she gave it back I got a B with 'good effort'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

If any of ye have Sue Honan's exam skills...Do you think the answer on human interaction with biomes is worthy of full marks? Our book is terrible for interaction with biomes and it is the only section which I don't have a decent sample answer :L

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I felt like sh*t after it tbh. Most of the teachers are grand in my school, I have to say. They are at least respectful to the students and actually try and make the students do the best they can and encourage them to reach their potential. My English teacher on the other hand, she thinks she knows everything. She's being correcting leaving cert papers since ''the 1990's'' so if anyone questions her on a different way of answering a topic she'll go off on her rant that she knows what gets the full marks. It's either her way of doing things, or no way. She doesn't encourage us to do our best at all. After today I felt so discouraged - Why should I bother if she doesn't? Think I might give up on handing up homework to her to correct. I get no positive criticism from her when I do well even, all it is is pointing out the negatives, without anything I should do to try and improve my grade. I feel like I don't deserve my A2 grade in the mocks at all now.
    But again, a teacher doesn't have the right to embarrass someone, especially when they put a fair bit of effort into their work and tried their best, in front of all their peers. Really unprofessional.

I'm going to bear this grudge on her forever. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

We're in 6th year lads, we've had enough of the teachers sh1te to put up with. We're adults and should be treated like such. To be quite honest Ray, when a teacher starts disrespecting me like that, I stand up for myself. I've had two similar situations with teachers trying to belittle me and I dealt with them on both occasions. You get more respect from staff and students for doing so.

My English teachers new 'teaching' method that she learned from an inservice last week is that she's no longer correcting our work we have to grade our own. Don't understand how she thinks that will work.

• Advertisement

I actually feel worse for not saying anything back to her! Ah, if it happens again, I won't hesitate to say something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Jade. wrote: »
    My English teachers new 'teaching' method that she learned from an inservice last week is that she's no longer correcting our work we have to grade our own. Don't understand how she thinks that will work.
    That has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I've done stuff like that for economics and physics to help us learn about marking schemes, but for English its just plain dumb.

She learned that at an in-service? Wow. I'd say it's just her being a lazy-ass teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

decisions wrote: »
    That has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I've done stuff like that for economics and physics to help us learn about marking schemes, but for English its just plain dumb.

:pac:

Yeah apparently we have to write it then grade it in the class get the person next to us to grade it then rewrite it to make it a better standard and then she'll take it up and see if she agrees. I think she has finally lost it!

• Advertisement

I had grand plans for today, but I spent all of it online instead, and now I'm going to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

I had grand plans for today, but I spent all of it online instead, and now I'm going to bed.

This sound all too familiar. Breaking bad is taking over my LC life. The real question is why I decided on getting into at this stage, could have waited 'till the Summer like any sensible person would have done :pac: I'm trying to convince myself that having the day off tomorrow will make up for it but I can see it going the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I am starting back on up on proper study and procrastinating today (says he while posting on boards!) I no longer have any excuse HPAT is finished (for better or for worse :( ) and the orals are starkly close!

I have just about avoided getting into Breaking Bad, but it looks so good.

I really need to get some kind of routine going by next week or I won't do anything between now and the orals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

I have just about avoided getting into Breaking Bad, but it looks so good.

I really need to get some kind of routine going by next week or I won't do anything between now and the orals.

Do future you a favour and keep avoiding it! So addictive...

Yeah, I'm half tempted to go in tomorrow if only to give my day a bit of structure. I need that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Breaking Bad is the ****.

Lads, do any of ye know the Irish way of saying ''Practice makes perfect'' ?
    I did it before in class but can't remember it and I want to know it as I have a sraith picture test amárach! :P

NEVER MIND. I found it with the help of my friend Google. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

Ah Jesus. I was about to post a witty "Let me Google that for you" link and bask in my glory.

Shet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Yet another person disapproves of me jumping on the Arts bandwagon. I went to piano for the first time in 3 months and the conversation went like this more or less:

Piano Teacher/Cousin: I suppose you still don't know what you want to do next year? But didn't you have to fill out the CAO a while ago!
    Me: Eh yeah, I did
    PT: So what did you decide on?
    Me: Eh Arts.......
    PT: Ah you didn' t put down First Arts in Maynooth did ya?
    Me: yea I did
    PT: With your brains!?
    Me: Everything else was too specific
    PT: You're just buying yourself time aren't you?
    Me: No, there's just nothing that I really really want to do......

Would everyone just leave me alone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Yet another person disapproves of me jumping on the Arts bandwagon. I went to piano for the first time in 3 months and the conversation went like this more or less:

Piano Teacher/Cousin: I suppose you still don't know what you want to do next year? But didn't you have to fill out the CAO a while ago!

Do whatever makes you happy :) who cares what everyone else thinks, it's your life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Faigheann fortach foirfe :)

Can anyone actually do the Irish listening tape? I might aswell deduct the 10% straight away.

At OL I'd say I got 2 q's correct in my mocks. It's the stupid accents that kill me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Haven't been here for about a month. Moreover haven't done much study over that time also. But I have a legit excuse so it's okay(err I have to stop cheating myself and start doing some work).

I'm glad I'm not addicted to anything on telly(I discount Penguins of Madagascar cos the whole family watches it :p ). But for the last few weeks I've always found myself watching Transporter the series on Thursday night. It's not the greatest thing ever, but still pretty enjoyable.

At OL I'd say I got 2 q's correct in my mocks. It's the stupid accents that kill me.
    I'm the exact same. I couldn't tell ya what they're even trying to say it always seems to be a northernish accent

My entire class was the same from the sounds of it. I'll have the results by Friday I think. So I'll know then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Can anyone actually do the Irish listening tape? I might aswell deduct the 10% straight away.

I hadn't a clue of it, and it went so fast! For our mock its 16% because we aren't doing our mock oral for a while. Aiming for 65% at best after it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Unless you like teaching you will regret it. Mate of mine got 600 few years ago, did arts with latin and ancient greek and can't find any work now at all, except helping first year latin and ancient greek students...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

kevin12345 wrote: »
    I hadn't a clue of it, and it went so fast! For our mock its 16% because we aren't doing our mock oral for a while. Aiming for 65% at best after it!

Am I the only guy that loves the irish listening? wish it was worth the 40%

• Advertisement

Am I the only guy that loves the irish listening? wish it was worth the 40%
    Probably, you got any tips or tricks?

Love the French aural tho.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement