Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Such a shame would be interesting to see how many people are interested in IT and Business since employment is booming in these sectors. I can always wait after July.

Well I imagine in the next few hours/days the full report will be available then, so you'll be able to see for yourself then!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Has anyone done sample Paper E of the edco maths exam papers, paper 1 Q1?

Yeah I have, what's up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

"Data on this year's college applications shows an 8% drop in numbers opting for teacher degree courses" 8% :eek:

Briliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

A much more comprehensive article from the Independent here including info on business:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/cao-race-is-on-as-students-target-courses-linked-to-new-economy-29119033.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I heard that only 30% of students passed the HL mock for maths, hoping that's true or somewhere close to that, if so they might consider changing the marking scheme or paper. I'm waiting to get mine back, but I know I failed already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

stetyrrell wrote: »
    I heard that only 30% of students passed the HL mock for maths, hoping that's true or somewhere close to that, if so they might consider changing the marking scheme or paper. I'm waiting to get mine back, but I know I failed already.

The mocks are nothing to do with the SEC. It will have no effect for June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

spurious wrote: »
    The mocks are nothing to do with the SEC. It will have no effect for June.

"I am no more your mother than the cloud that distills a mirror to reflect its own slow effacement at the winds hand"

Spurious is being typically realistic here. He claims that project maths is hopeless and that this generation of higher level maths students are essentially doomed - a powerful and fitting message in a world plagued by incompetent numerical abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Which mock did you sit? The one with the planets?

I'd say the pass rate in my class was around 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

decisions wrote: »

I did the planets one, out of 13 people, 12 passed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Two thirds of our class failed. We did the DEBS paper though which our teacher said was a fair bit harder than the Examcraft one.

• Advertisement

peekachoo wrote: »
    I did the planets one, out of 13 people, 12 passed!
    Im impressed, but most of the people who failed are only in the class because of the bonus points. They spend the whole time complaining about the teacher. I'd say out of the 29 in my class now 17 will sit the hl paper in June.

Two thirds of our class failed. We did the DEBS paper though which our teacher said was a fair bit harder than the Examcraft one.
    Yeh we were told we got the easier paper but she has the DEB paper to give to us to work on over Easter. I'm looking forward to getting a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Yeh we were told we got the easier paper but she has the DEB paper to give to us to work on over Easter. I'm looking forward to getting a look at it.
    We got the debs one and I got 32% :( it was so hard especially the integration and differentiation

Im impressed, but most of the people who failed are only in the class because of the bonus points. They spend the whole time complaining about the teacher. I'd say out of the 29 in my class now 17 will sit the hl paper in June.

Yeah to be fair in 5th year there was almost 30, everyone left in my class is fairly serious about sitting the real exam.
    worried by these comments that the DEB paper was much harder, I barely scraped past 40% on examcraft :(

Yeah to be fair in 5th year there was almost 30, everyone left in my class is fairly serious about sitting the real exam.
    worried by these comments that the DEB paper was much harder, I barely scraped past 40% on examcraft :(
    It's defiantly disheartening having not done as well as I would have liked, to know that I sat and 'easy paper'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

If you passed either of the papers you're doing well, our teacher said that the examcraft was relatively easier but still a hard paper. The DEBS paper 2 was actually nice enough. It was just the differentiation, integration and contexts and applications questions on Paper 1 that made it so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

We'd the DEB paper, there was a high enough fail rate as far as I know but we got them back last class yesterday so there wasn't much talk about it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The DEB paper.

If you passed either of the papers you're doing well, our teacher said that the examcraft was relatively easier but still a hard paper. The DEBS paper 2 was actually nice enough. It was just the differentiation, integration and contexts and applications questions on Paper 1 that made it so hard.

Hoping so! I think we all have to take into account also that nobody was really finished the course. On paper 2 i had to leave out Q6,7 & 8 because we hadn't it covered.
    Sure all we can do is our best guys and hopefully none of us fail in June :D

Anyone else find maths time pressured?

• Advertisement

Yeah I have, what's up?

Never mind I got it out this morning eventually but thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

"I am no more your mother than the cloud that distills a mirror to reflect its own slow effacement at the winds hand"

Spurious is being typically realistic here. He claims that project maths is hopeless and that this generation of higher level maths students are essentially doomed - a powerful and fitting message in a world plagued by incompetent numerical abilities.
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, I believe spurious is a woman. (Apologies if I'm wrong spurious)

We had paper 1 with the t-shirts and paper 2 with the planets. They are from two different companies as far as I know. However, in my year, with ~45 still in honours, I haven't heard of a single fail. I know in 2 of the classes, there were definitely none. There may have been some in the 3rd, but talking with people about how high the fail rate was in other local schools (have heard 57/100), they also hadn't heard of anyone failing in the year.

Methememb wrote: »
    Ever seen a film called 'Perfect Score'?

Nope, any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

The Prefect score is in my opinion an inferior remake of How to Cheat the Leaving Cert!

Just watched Red Dawn . ... Great movie

The increase in 1st choices for Sience in NUIM is worrying me, I'll probably need 450 to be sure of a place :(

The increase in 1st choices for Sience in NUIM is worrying me, I'll probably need 450 to be sure of a place :(

The increase in UCC for bio med means I'll more than likely be seeing you in NUIM :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Thank god the 6 Nations is nearly over... Watching Ireland play this year put me in such a bad mood that for the rest of the day that study is nearly impossible!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement