Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

ray2012 wrote: »
    Ah cool. :) Oh, did you actually get a proper person in to do the French oral? Our teacher is just doing it for us!

We're getting an "outsider" for Irish, tenner per head after school next week

German our teaching is doing them

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Kenbob

That's great that you are al getting externals in.
    We are having a guy in over Easter and we can arrange a day with our teacher where we go into the wee room that they're done in and perform so to speak for Irish!

But french is a completely different kettle of fish. The woman is and idiot so this week right she gave us something to learn almost every night that was fine but let's say wednesday night she'd give us The Typical Weekend to learn off we'd come in with it doen bish bash bosh and next thing she flings more notes at us to learn off so now we're double learning!!?!!!!!

It's so stupid! And she does mock orals with us down the back of the class but she's a nervous wreck doing them and barely allows you to get your lines out before she's down your throat with another question! She's driving me insane

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Yeah, getting an external examiner would be much better as you wouldn't have any bias either! Don't know what I'm doing for Irish, don't know when we're having a mock oral ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

We're getting some French man that our teacher knows as our mock examiner. €8 is what we've to pay him.

For Irish we've started doing mock orals section by section with our own teacher. Last Friday it was the introduction and poetry reading, Monday is the first 10 sraith pictiur, Wednesday is 10-20, Friday is the general conversation. She says that doing it all in one go for the first time would be traumatic because it'd more than likley be silence so the week after that we should start putting it together in one go. I actually don't mind having her as an examiner though because we know that she treats it like the real thing because she examines nearly every year. She told us that she keeps getting phonecalls asking her to do it this year but she keeps telling them that she can't because she missed nine weeks before Christmas and she can't leave us again <3 Although we might be getting an outside examiner over the holidays and the Saturday before the orals.

I had my first LC relatec dream last night. It was that my corrected maths paper 2 mock was delivered to my house. It was onlg marked out of 75 because some of the questions didn't work out or weren't on the syllabus. I got 68/75 and was over the moon for a minute when I woke up, until I figured out that it was a dream.......if only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

We don't get external examiners for any of our pre exams, I wish we did though, I did, even by my own standards, a very okay oral in French, while I communicated my points, I messed up constructions and my vocabulary was very plain, but the teacher gave me 96% in the oral, like even a fluent French person wouldn't get 96% it's madness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

We don't get external examiners for any of our pre exams, I wish we did though, I did, even by my own standards, a very okay oral in French, while I communicated my points, I messed up constructions and my vocabulary was very plain, but the teacher gave me 96% in the oral, like even a fluent French person wouldn't get 96% it's madness!

It's very possible if your pronunciation and engagement with the examiner were good. Pronunciation alone is 30% of the marks! And if you used all the basic tenses correctly, it doesn't matter if your vocab was plain as long as you communicated effectively. It's meant to be a conversation so if someone who spoke only French could understand you there's no reason you shouldn't be getting those high marks, have a bit of faith in yourself! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

My French teacher has been out since October and our sub gave us practically a 2 minute oral for our pre consisting of your family and the weekend.

It's very possible if your pronunciation and engagement with the examiner were good. Pronunciation alone is 30% of the marks! And if you used all the basic tenses correctly, it doesn't matter if your vocab was plain as long as you communicated effectively. It's meant to be a conversation so if someone who spoke only French could understand you there's no reason you shouldn't be getting those high marks, have a bit of faith in yourself! :)

Or it could've been the fact that I spent the majority of it talking about Westend Musicals, that really got her animated! (and me in fairness!) But, fair enough you'll probably get about 70-80 marks for getting the basics right but there's no way you get 96% without really having a wow factor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

We had an external Irish examiner but not for French. We have a French assistant this year and she did them.. Not very good seeing a she knows nothing about the leaving cert and didn't really ask very good questions. She doesn't know about the document at all so overall it wasn't that great. Every other year they had an external examiner who was really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

School tomorrow is going to be wierd, it's been 3 weeks since I've had a class...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

decisions wrote: »
    School tomorrow is going to be wierd, it's been 3 weeks since I've had a class...

Agreed, i have been procrastinating tidying all my stuff up after the pres, currently it looks like a bomb has hit :L

Snap, I've been tidying up most of today.

We're supposed to be getting our French teacher back tomorrow who has been out since October. She is so strict on silence and my class has gone a bit wild since she's been out gonna be a fun class :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Something about paying a man to go into a small room with you and perform oral that doesn't seem quite right...

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Something about paying a man to go into a small room with you and perform oral that doesn't seem quite right...
    Hahahahaha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Who said it had to be a man? :D

kingcobra wrote: »

Who said it had to be a man? :D

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Feels like it's been so long since I posted in here, the HPAT thread took over for me.. but I don't have much use for that anymore. :pac:

The amount of stuff that I can't find is ridiculous.

My Irish book seems to have totally disappeared.

I'm the same I only have a few books here and my locker is practically empty would love to know where all my books are

• Advertisement

Only 2 more Sraith Pictures to write up ... Finallyyyyyyyy!

On the plus side my room no longer looks like a bomb went off.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 tommullane

Hey guys how did those genius' find the hpat? :) wish I was smart enought for it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Came across a youtube link on reddit about a short film made to emphasis the flaws in the Irish course.
    In this 2 minute video Jason, a 6th year student, expresses his sense of unfulfillment and frustration at the curriculum as he feels that his Irish language studies have fallen short of his expectations.

On the other hand Jason's teacher and principal, representing the education establishment, make the point that studying Gaeilge is merely a means to an end - obtaining points in leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Does anyone else find the notes copies from 5th year absolutely useless?

Ahhh I actually despise my English teacher now -__-

During class today, she decided to rant about how bad the class' homework (a speech) was. Then out of everyone, she picks me out of the class and makes me look like an eejit on front of everyone. She used some examples I used in my speech and basically said they were crap and that I am far too ''naive''. She was actually giving out to me for the homework I did, and I might add I put in a real effort to do well in and I spent ages completing it. She pretty much said it was the biggest load of ****e she read, and she made a right show of me in front of the class. She's one of those teachers that makes you feel like you're a failure and that you're completely stupid and that she knows everything. She mocked and laughed about the speech I did like. If I had put no effort into doing it I wouldn't be this angry about it, but the fact that I spent at least an hour/2 hours planning and doing the question and I'm rewarded with being given out to and joked about to everyone is actually horrible. Why would someone do homework and give up it to the teacher to correct if all they are gonna get is laughed at by the teacher who shares it with the whole class and basically calls me stupid to everyone. After all this, she didn't give me any bit of constructive criticism. She just told me (and the whole class) what was wrong with my speech (in an unfashionable manner), but no way in how to make it better. She gave out to me for handing up a 'bad answer' (which I honestly think is quite good), while she says nothing to some people in the class who didn't even hand up anything. Bullshít. I've never been in trouble with this teacher before, so it's not like she was doing this cause I messed in class cause I never did. I would have been completely grand with it if she asked if I could stay back after class and discuss the homework with me, and only me. But instead she mocks me about it in front of the whole class.

What a fúcking bítch.

Rant over

In other news, I got an A2 in my French mock, which I was happy with, but also a disappointing D2 in chemistry which I was almost expecting.

My English teacher is like that all the time she will take the absolute piss out of you no matter why you write so I'm dreading getting the pres back because any bad answers she will read out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I was the only person in my Physics class today to pass the mock paper. I got 67%, next highest was 36%. It's a class of about 20 people.

Can we please start talking about performance appraisal for teachers now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

My English teacher is an absolute hero. My German and Chem teachers are good too, the rest are ****e.

• Advertisement

That's terrible, our teacher would never read out any homework in class unless that person agreed to it! Like I would put a lot of myself into my essays I would probably die of embarrassment if any teacher were to read it out in class, and I'm not a shy person at all!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement