Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Having such a relaxing day. :) Think I'm gonna continue life along this vein until Monday, because the next five weeks are going to be horrific and thus it is definitely very important to be well-rested before going back. Very important indeed >.>

I'm happy enough with how the break went, I think I got roughly 3/4 done of what I wanted to get done which isn't too bad a return. Sadly it was lacking a little bit in the craic (Need to be 18...now) but sure, can't have everything in life!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Just found myself my new best friend
    http://www.focalfilter.com/

I installed Stayfocusd for summer tests last year. It has a similar idea, but can block the entire internet at once minus maybe wordreference or examinations.ie, or any other sites you may actually need, and can't be turned off until the time runs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I use Cold Turkey but I find it doesn't work very well for me because I just find some other way to not study.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

I think i love you right now, this is the best thing ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Can't wait for retirement. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Any anti-procrastination method is good with me :P
    I think i love you right now, this is the best thing ever!

D'awh shucks :o Glad to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I had planned to do so much over the break but did literally nothing. Have accounting homework to do (9 Q's -__-) for Monday ..

I had a good break though, just not homework wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Does anyone know if there are any of those blockers available for iPod touch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Goin to a party tonight...Feel really guilty for taking such a break over the holidays :P
    Sounds weird but kinda looking forward to going back to school to get me motivated to study :L

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Ah man, the guilt of not having done anything over the break is starting to sink in. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Anyone want to give me some ideas of what to buy with an amazon gift voucher?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I'm telling myself that i'll do a lot of work and study over the mid-term break and Easter break... Mocks in a few weeks but they don't mean anything anyways... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Had a very lazy day today, stayed in bed until around 6. :o

Anyone want to give me some ideas of what to buy with an amazon gift voucher?
    You said you play piano, you could get a piano book maybe? I have a good few books at home which I love (I can recommend some if you want) and because it's amazon they are so cheap. For example, I wanted to buy a piano book but in Dublin it was €28, it was only £8.99 on amazon! Also wait until you have a few things together as its free postage on orders over £25.

Does anyone know if there are any of those blockers available for iPod touch?

Don't think so, unfortunately :rolleyes:

Don't think so, unfortunately :rolleyes:
    I was looking for ages in the hope :/ I waste so much time on my iPod, I don't bother with the laptop that much just because of the effort :P

I was looking for ages in the hope :/ I waste so much time on my iPod, I don't bother with the laptop that much just because of the effort :P

But then the laptop's so much clearer and handier, first world problems :p

But then the laptop's so much clearer and handier, first world problems :p
    But then I'd actually have to move from my desk :P

But then I'd actually have to move from my desk :P

Moving? You mean actually exerting energy like? :eek: I refuse to, I simply refuse! Just when we're on the topic does anyone know how ya can turn off the really annoying predictive text thing on the iPod touch? The ultimate pain in the neck. It's made for some strange conversations :p

Moving? You mean actually exerting energy like? :eek: I refuse to, I simply refuse! Just when we're on the topic does anyone know how ya can turn off the really annoying predictive text thing on the iPod touch? The ultimate pain in the neck. It's made for some strange conversations :p
    See my problem? :P
    Yeh if you go into settings, general, keyboard you can turn it off :) I have a Samsung phone and when I first got it I had predictive text on. Cue disaster :P the screen is a bit small so even for someone with tiny fingers texting is quite difficult. Anyway I was texting my friend with much difficulty and sure I had texts with tranny and tsunami in them.. It was actually quite funny but I turned it off after that :P

• Advertisement

See my problem? :P
    Yeh if you go into settings, general, keyboard you can turn it off :) I have a Samsung phone and when I first got it I had predictive text on. Cue disaster :P the screen is a bit small so even for someone with tiny fingers texting is quite difficult. Anyway I was texting my friend with much difficulty and sure I had texts with tranny and tsunami in them.. It was actually quite funny but I turned it off after that :P

Seems pretty obvious now :o Never really looked into it before, just accepted the misery that was writing on the iPod.

Tranny? Tsunami? Yeah, that seems standard enough where predictive text is concerned :pac: My friend has a Samsung phone and his has this thing where ya don't even have to type, just glide your finger over the letters and it recognises the word you want. Seems mad handy :p

Seems pretty obvious now :o Never really looked into it before, just accepted the misery that was writing on the iPod.

Tranny? Tsunami? Yeah, that seems standard enough where predictive text is concerned :pac: My friend has a Samsung phone and his has this thing where ya don't even have to type, just glide your finger over the letters and it recognises the word you want. Seems mad handy :p
    Yeh my brother had that on his too. I think I might even have it, I have vague recollections of it correcting everything I wanted to say :P

You said you play piano, you could get a piano book maybe? I have a good few books at home which I love (I can recommend some if you want) and because it's amazon they are so cheap. For example, I wanted to buy a piano book but in Dublin it was €28, it was only £8.99 on amazon! Also wait until you have a few things together as its free postage on orders over £25.
    Good idea. I've been meaning to buy some for ages but I'd have to go to Dublin for that and I'm far to busy for that obviously with this LC craic. Which would you recommend so?

I was going to buy some kindle books but the voucher's for amazon.co.uk and you can only buy books in Ireland from the US site :(

I was kind of thinking of the Harry Potter box set even though that would only leave me with £5/£10 because it's about £20/£25. Or just some normal paperback books. Thr kindle app will never be the same as a real book tbh.

I probably won't spend it till the summer because I'll only want to read/watch/use whatever I buy.......

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Remind me to thank you for this in August.

0mega wrote: »
    Remind me to thank you for this in August.

You'll have to remind me to remind you :p

Good idea. I've been meaning to buy some for ages but I'd have to go to Dublin for that and I'm far to busy for that obviously with this LC craic. Which would you recommend so?

I was going to buy some kindle books but the voucher's for amazon.co.uk and you can only buy books in Ireland from the US site :(

I was kind of thinking of the Harry Potter box set even though that would only leave me with £5/£10 because it's about £20/£25. Or just some normal paperback books. Thr kindle app will never be the same as a real book tbh.

I probably won't spend it till the summer because I'll only want to read/watch/use whatever I buy.......
    Sent you a PM :)

Ah can't believe we're back to school Monday! :/

I'm dreading going back but in a way I'm kind of looking forward to it in a strange way.....I think I need someone to actually tell me how close the mocks are and how much I need to study before I'll actually properly so anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Tomorrow is a month to my mocks, I dunno whether to try cram all the courses for them, or just keep studying things thoroughly and slowly for June..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I remember reading a lot of opinions before that the year absolutely flies after Christmas. I thought it was going fast enough as it was, so errr...God help us all. At the same time, five months and I will (hopefully) be finished secondary school forever. :eek: Which is both happy and sad but it's just weird to think this is finally approaching us. I dunno, I'm in a reflective mood today...

@0mega: I'd suggest the latter tbh, I wouldn't focus too much on the mocks really, I reckon they'll be excellent for things like timing (English P2 will be...interesting:pac:) and highlighting weak areas, but other than that, they have absolutely no significance in the grand scheme of things. And y'know, HPAT and stuff! Thank the powers that be that it isn't falling around mocks time I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Yea we were told by a few teachers now until the orals are gonna be the toughest time. Like the most stressful, most work needed to be done, the most everything..
    But apparently afterwards school becomes very enjoyable.
    Roll on end of April/May I say..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement