Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I've been playing it a lot as well. Just tidying up my first season. Had some blunders early in the season, so I ended up finishing 4th in the premiership. Have an FA Cup Final and Champions League Final to play yet though.

Started playing in 07 as well, but this is the first year I've paid for it.
    maybe its the nostalgia but i also think it was the most enjoyable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Most enjoyable for me was Championship Manager 01/02 with updates for the present season. Championship Manager 2006 was also pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I'm enjoying the current one so far. I'd say I spent the most hours on 07 or 08 though.
    Most enjoyable for me was Championship Manager 01/02 with updates for the present season. Championship Manager 2006 was also pretty good.
    I've heard that many people still stick with CM01/02 with fan updated squads. It has an almost cult following if I am not mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

This is the prime reason I specifically told Mam and Dad not to get me games for Christmas. They would literally cost me any hope I have for the LC. Boards, FB and television are bad enough :o I'm so easily distracted, it's not even right :pac: I had planned to get up early tomorrow, yet here I sit on the laptop at quarter past 2. A bit of self discipline wouldn't go amiss :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

: I had planned to get up early tomorrow, yet here I sit on the laptop at quarter past 2. A bit of self discipline wouldn't go amiss :o

This resonates within me. :(

• Advertisement

Slow Show wrote: »
    This resonates within me. :(

Internet, eh? Can't live with, can't live without it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Need to be up in 3 and a half hours. :( Why can't I sleep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I haven't fallen asleep before 5am throughout the holidays and I can't remember the last time I fell asleep before 3am but it was probably 6 or 7 months ago and this happens even when I'm getting up at 8am. :(

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I've heard that many people still stick with CM01/02 with fan updated squads. It has an almost cult following if I am not mistaken.

Yeah, has its own forum and a lot of members. It's a really fun game but it's far too easy to attract good players to small clubs and is fairly unrealistic compared to newer games.

On dart to the Institute, surprise surprise I slept through 4 alarms. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Shopping>studying
    Guess I could start tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Woow, nice to know that there are some fm fans. On FM 2012 I've spent altogether about 5 to 6 hundred hours, most of it with Pescara, making them the best european team. Verratti, what a beast. It was my usual weekend routine, first Fifa tournament with friends, than FM for the rest of the night.
    This year I didn't even buy it, I knew this would mean zero study on weekends.

My favourite was FM 08. It wasn't as easy as they are today. Btw. I have original CM 01/02 :D.

Happy new year people!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

I like how this has turned into a FM appreciation thread :D My favourite will always be FM07, so so good. Didn't buy it this year because I definitely wouldn't have studied at all but gonna buy it during the summer and then wait for FM2014 !

I think my best ever achievement was getting Rotherham to the Champions League Semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

MGMTea wrote: »
    I like how this has turned into a FM appreciation thread :D My favourite will always be FM07, so so good. Didn't buy it this year because I definitely wouldn't have studied at all but gonna buy it during the summer and then wait for FM2014 !

I think my best ever achievement was getting Rotherham to the Champions League Semi final.

Glad to see 07 is someone elses favourite too! Great achievement, just reading about fm makes me want to play it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

If I'm honest I never got the attraction of video games, I'd play them quite happily for a few days and then I'd just reach something I can't do and get frustrated and lose interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I'm not really a fan of video games either, with exception of fifa which I don't even play online. But fm is something more. It's about thinking, and finding solutions. It's just awesome.

When the 3d option came out I didn't even use it, I love the aul' 2d :P .

I love FM, only played FM07 and I decided for my sanity that I should never buy another one. So after the LC I'm just going to go on a total gaming binge, FM will be one of the first things I but.

Lads, how'd the Institute go today? I'm not just asking out of nosiness by the way :pac: I was thinking of going up but then I decided to wait 'til Easter. Was it worthwhile? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Lads, how'd the Institute go today? I'm not just asking out of nosiness by the way :pac: I was thinking of going up but then I decided to wait 'til Easter. Was it worthwhile? :)
    I did it in August and I thought it was good enough. Glad I did it just to get into it but I don't think I'd do it now as I'd prefer to study. As well as that I don't live in Dublin so it was quite an effort and very tiring. But overall it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

The purchase of Football Manager has had a detrimental affect on my Leaving Cert already. Stayed up until about 6am playing it last night. Getting really into it now.

Jesus, throw it away before you become addicted.I waited until the summer to get it after I had the LC done. I played 29 hours in the first 2 days. I think I had almost 400 hours in 3 months.It will destroy your results unless you have a lot of willpower.

I did it in August and I thought it was good enough. Glad I did it just to get into it but I don't think I'd do it now as I'd prefer to study. As well as that I don't live in Dublin so it was quite an effort and very tiring. But overall it was good.

Ya reckon independent study's more productive? Would the grinds there be completely over and beyond standard classes? Thing is, I have pretty good teachers for the majority of my subjects so I'm not too keen on the idea of having to spend 600 euro for it. Still, if it gives you a significant edge for the exams I would't hesitate in going. I'm gunna see how the mocks go. If i get the points I need then the idea's completely out the window :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Ya reckon independent study's more productive? Would the grinds there be completely over and beyond standard classes? Thing is, I have pretty good teachers for the majority of my subjects so I'm not too keen on the idea of having to spend 600 euro for it. Still, if it gives you a significant edge for the exams I would't hesitate in going. I'm gunna see how the mocks go. If i get the points I need then the idea's completely out the window :p

Leeson Street so far is really just alright, well, it certainly is not out of this world or whatever some people say as I certainly didn't come out feeling like I knew it all. However I'd say it is a lot more productive than doing your own study as you're going through a whole course within five days and it's done at a manageable rate. It's tough at this early stage to make a call on how good it is, it's the pretty basic ends of the courses we're doing at the minute.

However, the flippin' seats there are soooo uncomfortable! And I'm relatively tall so I find it really really cramped as well! By the end of a long hour and a half class you just want to get outta there! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Well if I were to do it at Easter I know I wouldn't study after it because I would be so tired from getting up early and having to travel but that's just me. To be honest I don't know, I thought English was good but I would have loved a sample answer on even just one thing to see how an answer should be structured and to see an example of an A answer. But the notes were really good and we got notes on things that weren't covered. I did 2 other subjects. In maths, the things we did there that I had covered already were some of my stronger points. We did 2/3 topics I hadn't done so it probably would have been a lot more useful now. Then the other subject was good but I got a lot of notes that I haven't really gone through so I'm not sure yet. See how the mocks go an then decide I say. No point spending money if you don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I've heard the Leeson Street maths notes are something else but myeh, I'll live, everyone was talking about what courses they're going to do over the Christmas before the break (here in Galway it's all about Yeats) but yeah I think I'd prefer to study at home myself (for a much cheaper price... :p), though I might have a think about doing a maths one at Easter because it's the one subject that I just find really difficult to study on my own and I'd probably be better off at a course than at home. But yerra, I'll see after the mocks, can't deny that I have a very good teacher either so I might be grand.

This FM thing looks entrancing, I might have a look at it in the summer. :p I was never all that good at/interested in video games, mainly because my ten-year-old heart couldn't take the scary, pressurising bits but I might be OK for this one! :p

Thanks for all the help lads. Much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Despite being a girl, I've always been a bit of a gamer. I really couldn't help it with my brother: anything he did I did too. I can still remember our PS1 like it was yesterday and some game that involved a joker which I think was called Pandemonium. And then there was Metal Gear Solid 3 or whatever the one with Raiden was. This was followed by various Grand Theft Autos, Need for Speeds, Call of Dutys, FIFAs and I think there was even one FM in there somewhere, I think it might have been 06 or 07. The violence in games never really disturbed me at all , at any time, probably why I can watch the most gruesome of films now without even flinching.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Poufsouffle

I should really be writing an English essay about procrastination right now, the irony.

I've never really been into video games unless you count The Sims but I usually give up on that after I've made a wonderfully weird family and built them a beautifully designed house :o.

My uncle gave us his old Xbox but I'm not sure if that was a great idea. I tried playing some racing car type game with my sister but we were just so bad it ended up a competition to see who could wreck their car the most bashing into walls and each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

First post of 2013 :) happy new year :)

Happy New Year LCers. Hope we all have an amazing next 6 months!

New Year's Resolution: optimism and study!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Happy new year lads! drink to our success in June!!

• Advertisement

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Happy new year lads! drink to our success in June!!
    *clinks glasses* Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement