Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Slane this year

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Biggins wrote: »
    The early years were definably the best years.
    Great classic bands that could REALLY hold a tune.
    Whats around today while good for some considering the change of generation and tastes, seems now not to be able to draw in such an immediate crowd to Slane and it like.
    In the early eighties Slane and similar would sell out in a day.
    People have moved on now.

It would be even better if he played now as he could perform songs from the vastly underappreciated Lucky Town album!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Is that KoL video a fake???

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Here's a couple more by the same guy:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

What about Stevie Wonder? Saw him in the RDS (indoors) 20- 25 years ago ago.
    a true legend and he is playing London's Hyde Park on Sat June 26th and rumoured to headline Glastonbury on sunday 27th. This is part of a European tour.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

dixiefly wrote: »
    What about Stevie Wonder? Saw him in the RDS (indoors) 20- 25 years ago ago.
    a true legend and he is playing London's Hyde Park on Sat June 26th and rumoured to headline Glastonbury on sunday 27th. This is part of a European tour.

Think they confirmed Stevie Wonder now, and U2 are playing Glastonbury as part of their north American tour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Slane : A history ....

1981 Thin Lizzy
    1982 The Rolling Stones
    1983 U2
    1984 Bob Dylan
    1985 Bruce Springsteen
    1986 Queen
    1987 David Bowie
    1992 Guns N' Roses
    1993 Neil Young
    1995 R.E.M.

(going well up to this point, and then .....)

1998 The Verve :eek:
    1999 Robbie Williams :eek: wtf?
    2000 Bryan Adams
    ... etc .... etc .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

kraggy wrote: »
    Henry Mountcharles was saying that he considered a couple of bands but that it didn't quite feel right.

Think one of the them was Kings of Leon.

If they could fill Slane, I'd be paralysed with depression about the taste of music fans in this country.

Pure and utter dross.

Each to their own, what type of music do you like? Or do you fear of being shot down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

I thought that I had heard rumours of AC/DC but obviously not... too good to be true,

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Smiths supported by the Stone Roses 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Im gonna hazard a guess and say they were told they wouldnt get a licence for a concert after last years fiasco and they didnt have time to upgrade the access routes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

RHCP playing a few years ago was the best live performance I've ever seen

2003...awesome gig. Foo Fighters and QOTSA too. That made my year.
    The Smiths supported by the Stone Roses 2012

Followed by whats left of Pink Floyd in 2013 and Oasis will have got it back together by 2014 I'd say...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

After the disaster it turned into last year I'm not surprised.

The town is to small to hold a event that big and its only a matter of time before something goes horribly wrong and people are killed at it.

The sized of the town doesn't matter. Its actually laid out pretty good. Four roads all meet at the centre. Easy access to the site.
    The problem is the road parking.
    More farmer land is needed to create big bus carparks and reduce the road parking. It will make the return trips safer. But you need the land first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Rabies wrote: »
    The sized of the town doesn't matter. Its actually laid out pretty good. Four roads all meet join to the centre. Easy access to the site.
    The problem is the road parking.
    More farmer land is needed to create big bus carparks and reduce the road parking. It will make the return trips safer. But you need the land first :)

If Lord Mountcharles were a proper aristocrat, he would use his army to wipe out those peasants as a matter of course, and get himself a decent car-park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

bonerm wrote: »
    Slane : A history ....

1981 Thin Lizzy
    1982 The Rolling Stones
    1983 U2
    1984 Bob Dylan
    1985 Bruce Springsteen
    1986 Queen
    1987 David Bowie
    1992 Guns N' Roses
    1993 Neil Young
    1995 R.E.M.

(going well up to this point, and then .....)

1998 The Verve :eek:
    1999 Robbie Williams :eek: wtf?
    2000 Bryan Adams
    ... etc .... etc .....

I was there that year, he was worth every penny, was absouluetly class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Hang on. Wasn't it between Paul McWhatshisface and Kings of Leon to who got Slane this year. HE got the RDS so are the Kings not going to play slane?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

That KOL performance was insane, I'm assuming they were acting the maggott and did that intentionally. Or is it dubbed or something? I can't actually tell. If it's dubbed, it seems to be very well sync'd up.

In fairness though the lead guitarists guitar is out of tune a bit!

i love them btw...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

slane is overarted to **** .. rolling stones was a muck fest and letting keith richards sing 3 songs only added added to the insult.

That said if the Stone Roses ever decide to reform i will be legging it down there.. if they can find Reni that is

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

I blame MCD

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

so what.big deal:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I care. I know it's not exactly a music festival, but it's the only annual music event that I ever enjoyed.. far better than Oxegen anyway

RHCP playing a few years ago was the best live performance I've ever seen

Oh that takes me back, Slane 2003, best one ever IMO! Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters and the Chillies. Great day! I'm sad it won't be on this year, only because I'd heard AC/DC were to play and I was all set to go :(

Advertisement