Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legalize Cannabis Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

is this the begining of the end of prohibition.... hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

is this the begining of the end of prohibition.... hopefully.

Hopefully, it is. And all the talk of the Federal government getting tough and fighting back against states such as Colorado and Washington and it's citizens who smoke weed is rubbish. They can't even enforce their laws and capture cannabis smokers at the moment in most places where it's illegal. In a society such as Colorado were cannabis is now legal and out in the open, it will be 10 times harder to enforce the antiquated and downright ridiculous drug laws that pro-prohibitionist governments the world over seem hell bent on trying to enforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

What happens in usa happens in ireland 18 months later.

tis physics yo.

no need for the northside and southside crackers to be popping caps in eachothers asses and in 18 months everything will be copasetic bro.

coppers will go out of business if cafes start selling weed.

the IRA will continue to extort from anyone selling recreational drugs, legal or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Have been reading a bit more on Cannabis and some of the effects on teens is a bit hard to figure. Haven't made my mind up yet -
    http://teens.drugabuse.gov/facts/facts_mj1.php

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

Have been reading a bit more on Cannabis and some of the effects on teens is a bit hard to figure. Haven't made my mind up yet -
    Imagine this: You're in a ball game, playing out in left field. An easy fly ball comes your way, and you're psyched. When that ball lands in your glove your team will win, and you'll be a hero. But, you're a little off. The ball grazes your glove and hits the dirt. So much for your dreams of glory.
    Such loss of coordination can be caused by smoking marijuana. And that's just one of its many negative effects. Marijuana affects memory, judgment, and perception. Under the influence of marijuana, you could fail to remember things you just learned, watch your grade point average drop, or crash a car.

Sounds like a thoroughly scientific and impartial source.

Watch out for those weed needles kids. You don't want to overdose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Haelium wrote: »

Maybe that's why they call it dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The very first paragraph sets the tone for misinformed nonsense.

Marijuana is a mixture of the dried and shredded leaves, stems, seeds, and flowers of the cannabis sativa plant. The mixture can be green, brown, or gray.
    The part of cannabis that gets you high is the flower the rest of it is rubbish that's thrown away (well not in Ireland they leave all that crap on for weight here).

What are the negative effects of cannabis? Not being able to catch a baseball which goes on to ruin your entire life, and having sex which will mean you get HIV.

I don't accept that it hampers your ability to learn either. I've learned how to use some pretty serious programs while stoned because weed gives me focus.

This is another one of these American propaganda messages, there's nothing in that article that's actually all that bad, they have to embellish the story to make it seem bad. The article is so misinformed they don't even cover the real dangers for teens in smoking weed. Probably because they've done so little research, dedicating their time to creative writing instead that they just don't have a clue what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 P.O.D

What's the best way I can help push legalization in Dublin?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Haelium wrote: »

Personally, I'm worried about people potting up and driving.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_2-J9fZlQI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

P.O.D wrote: »
    What's the best way I can help push legalization in Dublin?? :D

Quit posting?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

i think its a great idea myself, weed tourism is worth hundreds of millions each year, Ireland being Ireland a lot of these folk will go on to explore the rest of our fair land, more revenue in to the economy.
    The dutch have this sorted, it does bring its own problems, some idiot tourists taking liberties etc

Many dutch people have never tried cannabis and a lot that do, do not drink, its a lifestyle choice. However, i do believe it takes a good decade for this kind of attitude to take effect because lets face it, we are not the most cultured nation on this earth.
    If its done right, carefully planned etc, it would be a great thing and would stop petty drug dealers and anti social behaviour.
    They say it opens the flood gates for other hardcore drugs getting into Ireland/Europe, but we are somewhat unique - not landlocked which makes it a lot more difficult to distribute these drugs throughout europe, not impossible though, it is already happening.
    The dutch hand down huge sentences for hardcore drugs so the risk is very real for the people who take the chance, we should follow suits!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Uruguay are moving to legalise it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

I am against the legislation of cannabis. The rate of mental illness will go through the roof.

amjon. wrote: »
    I am against the legislation of cannabis. The rate of mental illness will go through the roof.

It's all been debunked.

dttq wrote: »
    It's all been debunked.

Humor me, show me evidence of said "debunking".

I'm not saying that it's going to be akin to the famous "Reefer madness" video however it is undeniable that if cannabis is legalised it will lead to an increase in mental illness. This will be cathostrophic on an individual level. It smacks of hypocrisy that the left are intent on trying to force through abortion legislation based on 3 or four obscure cases of potential harm while they ignore the human suffering that will invariably be caused by the widespread use of cannabis.

Also, I personally don't particularly care if some moron wants to abuse cannabis and loose his mind. My problem is the strained healthcare resources he is going to draw on.

Finally, the argument that it will result in massive tax revenues is complete nonsense. It's not like people have a couple of thousand sitting in wait for the day they can go out and get baked. People only have a finite amount of disposable income, legalisation will only divert this money from other businesses. The tax revenue will be largely unchanged, if anything it will be reduced as the illicit sources will no doubt undercut the legal sources creating a larger, more resilient black market for the drug than the one that currently exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Finally, the argument that it will result in massive tax revenues is complete nonsense. It's not like people have a couple of thousand sitting in wait for the day they can go out and get baked. People only have a finite amount of disposable income, legalisation will only divert this money from other businesses. The tax revenue will be largely unchanged, if anything it will be reduced as the illicit sources will no doubt undercut the legal sources creating a larger, more resilient black market for the drug than the one that currently exists.

People are already getting baked.

Legalisation will mean that you can recoup tax on the money that is being spent buying drugs and the money that is being earned from selling drugs.

Experience elsewhere would suggest that people would prefer to buy from legal, regulated sources and, for the most part, are prepared to pay a premium to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I'm not saying that it's going to be akin to the famous "Reefer madness" video however it is undeniable that if cannabis is legalised it will lead to an increase in mental illness. This will be cathostrophic on an individual level. It smacks of hypocrisy that the left are intent on trying to force through abortion legislation based on 3 or four obscure cases of potential harm while they ignore the human suffering that will invariably be caused by the widespread use of cannabis.

Also, I personally don't particularly care if some moron wants to abuse cannabis and loose his mind. My problem is the strained healthcare resources he is going to draw on.

do you think nobody is smoking it at the moment because it's illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 P.O.D

Idiot. . .

Idiot. . .

Idiot. . .

Moron. . .

Moron. . .

Mod: and 5 posts become one and banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If you're too lazy to read the ****ing thread that isn't our problem.

Gbear wrote: »
    If you're too lazy to read the ****ing thread that isn't our problem.

Ah yes, After Hours on Boards.ie: the pinnacle of peer reviewed research.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

We've enough god damn hippies as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Ah yes, After Hours on Boards.ie: the pinnacle of peer reviewed research.

Then why are you bothering posting your totally ignorant point of view in this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'll take this one lads.
    it is undeniable that if cannabis is legalised it will lead to an increase in mental illness. This will be cathostrophic on an individual level.

It is entirely deniable.

Source? Credible Journal/Study and peer reviewed would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I take it you have a vested interest in keeping it illegal..

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

If you read the rest of the tread all your other 'points' would be debunked

As for the bit in bold. How much do you think it cost so have a hit of cannabis? I can asure you that it isn't thousands. Being illegal as it is, it much cheaper to stay in and smoke say 10euro worth of cannabis (more than enough to get at least 3 people 'high') than it is to go out on the beer and spend 30+eruo (which results in a much more dangerous type of high and 30euro is fairly conservative)

As you rightly say people only have a 'finite amount of disposable income'. But at the same time that doesn't stop people from going out for a few pints on the weekend and spending 30+ euro every weekend.
    I know a few people who do not drink but spend 20 euro on cannabis a month. Divide that by 4 and that gives you 5ish euro on cannabis a week. That is fairly heavy smoking but still much cheaper than going our on the beer.
    This is no reason to take up smokin cannabis or anything like that. I am only trying say that this 'thousand sitting in wait for the day they can go out and get baked' statment is totally flawed. (as is the rest of your post)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

it is undeniable that if cannabis is legalised it will lead to an increase in mental illness. This will be cathostrophic on an individual level.

Here is a recent study........ http://www.ukcia.org/research/keele_study/Assessing-the-impact-of-cannabis.pdf

Assessing the impact of cannabis use on trends in diagnosed schizophrenia in the United Kingdom from 1996 to 2005.
    Concucted by...
    Martin Frisher. Department of Medicines Management, Keele University, Staffordshire, ST5 5BG, United Kingdom.

Ilana Crome. Academic Psychiatry Unit, Keele University Medical School, Harplands Hospital, Hilton Road, Staffordshire, ST6 4TH, United Kingdom

Orsolina Martino. Department of Medicines Management, Keele University, Staffordshire, ST5 5BG, United Kingdom.

Peter Croft. Primary Care Sciences Research Centre, Keele University, Staffordshire, ST5 5BG, United Kingdom

Findings below.........
    British investigators at Keele University Medical School compared trends in cannabis use and instances of schizophrenia in the United Kingdom from 1996 to 2005.

The research showed that even as marijuana use soared among the general population, “incidence and prevalence of schizophrenia and psychoses were either stable or declining” during this period.

The authors concluded that an expected rise in diagnoses of schizophrenia and psychoses did not occur over the decade under study. “This study does not therefore support the … link between cannabis use and incidence of psychotic disorders,” the study concludes, adding “This concurs with other reports indicating that increases in population cannabis use have not been followed by increases in psychotic incidence.”

It is only undeniable if you come to the debate with a closed mind.....

mikom wrote: »
    Here is a recent study........ http://www.ukcia.org/research/keele_study/Assessing-the-impact-of-cannabis.pdf

Assessing the impact of cannabis use on trends in diagnosed schizophrenia in the United Kingdom from 1996 to 2005.
    Concucted by...
    Martin Frisher. Department of Medicines Management, Keele University, Staffordshire, ST5 5BG, United Kingdom.

Ilana Crome. Academic Psychiatry Unit, Keele University Medical School, Harplands Hospital, Hilton Road, Staffordshire, ST6 4TH, United Kingdom

Orsolina Martino. Department of Medicines Management, Keele University, Staffordshire, ST5 5BG, United Kingdom.

Peter Croft. Primary Care Sciences Research Centre, Keele University, Staffordshire, ST5 5BG, United Kingdom

Findings below.........

It is only undeniable if you come to the debate with a closed mind.....
    Keelk

Keele University? Ha! Seriously, PFO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Here's a crazy idea. Maybe don't make it legal to sell it to teens?

Advertisement