Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legalize Cannabis Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 peternel

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Richard Branson is a big campaigner to end the war on drugs, those against should have a read:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-branson/to-win-the-drug-war-follow-the-states_b_1852870.html

this is what I meant was very good, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mister_Jeff

Harry, but at least án Garda Síochana could use the extra manpower, money, and focus to crack down on the heavier drugs!
    I have YET to hear of families being broken up by cannabis - alcohol yes, cocaine/heroin/crack use yes!
    Having said as much, the FACT remains that tobacco and alcohol are still the biggest killers on the planet. Reports that cannabis use causes psychosis is a fallacy - if the incidents of these episodes in teens had been PROPERLY investigated, it would have been found that Little Johnny and his mates were drinking alcohol at the same time.
    Have you heard on buses on a Friday afternoon, how youngsters are planning to get blotto, or on Monday bragging of how drunk they were? It's almost a "badge of honour!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Hey all.
    I hate to put a downer on the subject but I don't think it will happen Ireland.
    You could have all the facts and marches under the sun but the leaders of this country won't even look at, or listen to.

Also I think the idea of saying its not as bad as alcohol etc is the wrong.
    It's like saying well this drug is better because......so lets legalise it.

Maybe in 20 yrs time I'd say we may have legal cannabis.
    Even saying the word has some sort of taboo attached to it.
    Maybe a new name and a fresh clean slate will do it :)

Post 1000 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

TURRICAN wrote: »

I don't think it will happen Ireland.

Maybe in 20 yrs time I'd say we may have legal cannabis.

you high

• Advertisement

Triangular wrote: »

you high
    Nowhere near it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

The Stoners Association of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

There's definitely some weight in a legalisation strategy centered around clamouring anonymously on the internet posting cannabis and prohibition facts, people either become informed or they get so annoyed at the constant badgering that they guarantee their vote to shut up the 'stoners', or they nanny up and show how invested they are in misery culture. Either way, we're definitely making progress!

So on behalf of the internet, I'd like to say 'Thank you, internet, for making this possible!'.

http://marijuanamajority.com/ - New, interesting site.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

Hey all.
    I hate to put a downer on the subject but I don't think it will happen Ireland.

That's a very silly narrow minded comment. I'm sure silly comments like that were made before women got to vote or before slavery was abolished in America or before Ireland got independence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/oct/15/decriminalise-drug-use-say-experts
    Also I think the idea of saying its not as bad as alcohol etc is the wrong.
    It's like saying well this drug is better because......so lets legalise it.

"Annual deaths related to firearms in the United States: 29,000. Annual deaths related to prescription drugs: 32,000. Annual deaths related to alcohol: 85,000. Related to tobacco: 435,000. Marijuana? 0. Not a single case of death ever recorded in the United States, or even the world has been attributed to the use of marijuana."

http://www.selectsmart.com/DISCUSS/read.php?16,693724

It's not just better, it's umpteen times safer too. That's what we should seek for our citizens is safety, not profit margin.

Just doing the usual rounds!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-seize-5m-worth-of-cannabis-plants-in-nationwide-raids-3271692.html

I see in the comments Irelands cannabis market is at least 400 million, could be up to 800 million. These guys seized 15 million, this is all they can do, what a waste. But all the fools at home will say "ah terrible drugs. Drugs are ruining the country. At least they're catching them" Well they aren't catching feck all.

More reading for anyone who's interested.

http://portlandobserver.com/2012/10/news-laws-for-cannabis/

• Advertisement

How the hell legalizing people getting wasted is a great cause is a complete mystery to me

Because it's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

weeeeeeeeed maaaaaaaan

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Smudge357

I think it's safe to say at this point that anyone who thinks cannabis should be illegal for any reason doesn't quite understand the situation that prohibition causes and is too uninformed to take part in discussion.

In my opinion, we should decriminalise cannabis growing for personal use. 3 plants per person unless a doctor recommendation/illness requires more.

Cannabis is ganglands main earner at the minute. It is an easy to grow plant and our prohibition makes it's flowers worth more than gold. Cannabis is currently worth €15-20 a gram.

Prohibition of Cannabis leads to exploitation of children and immigrants
    These gangs are known to use illegal immigrant Asian children and teenagers as slaves and fall guys. When our gardaí eventually, if ever, do find the grow house, they lock up the fall guy and start another one with another slave.

It's interesting to note that when this occurs in the sex trade the women are treated victims. In the cannabis industry, we imprison the used persons.

Here's a recent example of this in Ireland; http://m.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1020/1224325506071.html

Excellent documentary here on this subject called 'Children of The Cannabis Trade' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUJZQnil5tM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

ArseLtd wrote: »
    That's a very silly narrow minded comment. I'm sure silly comments like that were made before women got to vote or before slavery was abolished in America or before Ireland got independence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/oct/15/decriminalise-drug-use-say-experts

"Annual deaths related to firearms in the United States: 29,000. Annual deaths related to prescription drugs: 32,000. Annual deaths related to alcohol: 85,000. Related to tobacco: 435,000. Marijuana? 0. Not a single case of death ever recorded in the United States, or even the world has been attributed to the use of marijuana."

It's not just better, it's umpteen times safer too. That's what we should seek for our citizens is safety, not profit margin.

What a boring, boring drug this Marijuana is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think the gardai should make the toxicology results from the grow houses public. I suspect the THC levels from irish (industrial) homegrown are through the roof. At least we should see how they compare with the dutch coffee shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

tdv123 wrote: »

Your probably looking for attention with a post like that! Anyhow, Dont knock it till you try it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

tdv123 wrote: »

Exactly...
    Too boring to be illegal, The time, effort and money put into prohibition against Marijuana is far out of proportion to the effects of Marijuana.

I think the gardai should make the toxicology results from the grow houses public. I suspect the THC levels from irish (industrial) homegrown are through the roof. At least we should see how they compare with the dutch coffee shops.

Toxicology is for something which is toxic so that won't be happening. They could, for sh!ts and giggles, test the THC levels to see if it's some heavy sh!t!

THC levels have to do with the strain, lighting, nutrients and a good grower. There's no reason why it wouldn't be as good quality as the Amsterdam stuff but they have some of the best experts over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Seriously flawed statistics and does your argument no good. Do you actually believe that no deaths can be attributed to marijuana? Not one single fatal car accident? You think inhaling smoke (from any burning plant) won't have a detrimental effect on lung health and there is absolutely no link with an increased risk of cancer.

Pharma drugs have a high rate because they are tightly controlled - and adverse reactions tend to get reported by a physician, you won't get true values for cannabis until it is legalised and properly monitored. But it will be far far higher than zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Your probably looking for attention with a post like that! Anyhow, Dont knock it till you try it!

Well it is. Being stoned is nice now and then but it's more for when you finish work and just want to chill. If I'm partying I'd prefer to be a bit more lively.

I don't really understand people who smoke it every day. Zzzfest.

• Advertisement

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Seriously flawed statistics and does your argument no good. Do you actually believe that no deaths can be attributed to marijuana? Not one single fatal car accident? You think inhaling smoke (from any burning plant) won't have a detrimental effect on lung health and there is absolutely no link with an increased risk of cancer.

Thank you for pointing that out. A car accident is not death by marijuana. I never claimed it to be a guardian angel who steers your car away from danger. Obviously it will impair your driving. It's a while since i looked at statistics but something like 13 fatal car crashes in the US are caused by stoned drivers where as drunk drivers it's in the hundreds of thousands. Yes smoke of any sort won't help your lungs but marijuana seems to be the very healthiest.
    Pharma drugs have a high rate because they are tightly controlled - and adverse reactions tend to get reported by a physician, you won't get true values for cannabis until it is legalised and properly monitored. But it will be far far higher than zero.

I must disagree with that. Pharma are not innocent of skewing results and pretending negative studies didn't happen. And also, with all the people who benefit from prohibition (police, judges, alcohol tobacco companies, private prisons, criminals) none have found one case of overdose of marijuana, even though they have a rather large incentive.

I could quote many sources a quick google will reveal there is no such thing as overdose of cannabis. If you look into the details of deaths that some try to blame on "marijuana overdose" (less than 5 i've heard of) they were either choking on vomit WHILE high or eating so much weed (probably to hide it from the police) that if you were to eat that much of any other herb you would die.

It's like if someone gets drunk and gets knocked over by a car its "oh poor fella, unlucky. He had a drop too much" where if he was high while getting run over they're all "Drugs! Drugs it was the drugs!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I don't think I've ever heard a compelling argument for why weed should be illegal.

I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Smudge357 wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say at this point that anyone who thinks cannabis should be illegal for any reason doesn't quite understand the situation that prohibition causes and is too uninformed to take part in discussion.

In my opinion, we should decriminalise cannabis growing for personal use. 3 plants per person unless a doctor recommendation/illness requires more.

Cannabis is ganglands main earner at the minute. It is an easy to grow plant and our prohibition makes it's flowers worth more than gold. Cannabis is currently worth €15-20 a gram.

Prohibition of Cannabis leads to exploitation of children and immigrants
    These gangs are known to use illegal immigrant Asian children and teenagers as slaves and fall guys. When our gardaí eventually, if ever, do find the grow house, they lock up the fall guy and start another one with another slave.

It's interesting to note that when this occurs in the sex trade the women are treated victims. In the cannabis industry, we imprison the used persons.

Here's a recent example of this in Ireland; http://m.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1020/1224325506071.html

Excellent documentary here on this subject called 'Children of The Cannabis Trade' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUJZQnil5tM

I'm all for having the option of growing for personal use - but I'm too lazy to do it. I just want to walk in a shop and pick some up.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

UCDVet wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever heard a compelling argument for why weed should be illegal.

Have you not heard of the reefer madness

charlemont wrote: »
    Exactly...
    Too boring to be illegal, The time, effort and money put into prohibition against Marijuana is far out of proportion to the effects of Marijuana.

I agree with that.

I'm all for harm reduction.

Prohibition of drugs just isn't working & never has been working. No drug becomes safer when you hand it's production line over to criminals. People went blind & had some horrible misfortunes from drinking unsafe amateur homemade liquor in the 20's.

Same with Heroin. You wouldn't have half the people dropping dead from it if it was pure pharmaceutical grade Diamorphine.

It's easy to see why Cannabis is illegal at the moment. The people who are in charge need votes, most people who vote are very right-wing minded people. The people in charge don't wont to loose votes therefore they cater to these very misinformed people.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭JyesusChrist

Jackmcg wrote: »
    Just look at the head shops. The drugs were already around but the head shops pushed them in peoples faces and made them extremely easy to obtain at lower prices.
    I reckon coffee shops/weed off licenses/whatever would have the same effect

.... and on that point- if weed is already available to those who want it, then why are you pushing for legalization?

Because people don't want a criminal record for having weed on them.

Thank you for pointing that out. A car accident is not death by marijuana. I never claimed it to be a guardian angel who steers your car away from danger. Obviously it will impair your driving. It's a while since i looked at statistics but something like 13 fatal car crashes in the US are caused by stoned drivers where as drunk drivers it's in the hundreds of thousands. Yes smoke of any sort won't help your lungs but marijuana seems to be the very healthiest.
    In the same way lung cancer is not death by tobacco smoking or cirrhosis of the liver is not death by alcohol consumption. Far more people smoke and drink alcohol than use marijuana so obviously the figures will be higher. Raw numbers don't tell us much. You should also look at how deaths are recorded by manner and cause. We have stats on how alcohol, smoking and obesity are risk factors for various illnesses because there are large on-going epidemiology studies, for example the Framingham Heart study.
    I must disagree with that. Pharma are not innocent of skewing results and pretending negative studies didn't happen. And also, with all the people who benefit from prohibition (police, judges, alcohol tobacco companies, private prisons, criminals) none have found one case of overdose of marijuana, even though they have a rather large incentive.
    Practices of Big Pharma are irrelevant here, yes there is skewing of data with relation to clinical trials but in the real world doctors are obliged to report any serious adverse effect or death caused by the administration of a drug. They are in the best possible position to see any effect on the patient.

Regardless of your position posting wildly inaccurate and speculated stats is unhelpful and doesn't lend credence to your cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

ArseLtd wrote:
    A car accident is not death by marijuana.
    In the same way lung cancer is not death by tobacco smoking or cirrhosis of the liver is not death by alcohol consumption.
    Make one really stupid statement and the rest of your posts are tainted.

Smoking causes lung cancer, drinking causes liver failure. Smoking marijuana does not cause car crashes. Driving under the influence of marijuana (or alcohol) causes car crashes.

• Advertisement

Gurgle wrote: »
    Make one really stupid statement and the rest of your posts are tainted.

Smoking causes lung cancer, drinking causes liver failure. Smoking marijuana does not cause car crashes. Driving under the influence of marijuana (or alcohol) causes car crashes.
    I'll agree the comparison was poor, natural vs accidental causes of death. But the stats posted told nothing regards the other 'causes' of death.

Smoking doesn't 'cause' anything... it is however a large risk factor for developing lung cancer

Advertisement