Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legalize Cannabis Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Here's a crazy idea. Maybe don't make it legal to sell it to teens?

Works for beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

amjon. wrote: »
    Works for beer.

Yep. Both are illegal for minors to use and both are used by minors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Keelk

Keele University? Ha! Seriously, PFO.

Keelk, yeah.
    It's Keele.
    Are you choking on your spit there?

So, PFO?
    Are you telling me to "Please fuck off"?

You asked for a study.
    A study was supplied............ a recent study, in fact......... a study funded by the British Home Office Advisory Council on Misuse of Drugs.

Mind closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Keelk

Keele University? Ha! Seriously, PFO.

Typical closed minded response.

You made a spurious claim for which you had zero evidence and it was debunked by providing evidence from a credible source and all you can say is

'Ha <insert source>. PFO'

Your intellectual rigour is non-existent and you're embarrassing yourself.

If you can't handle the facts then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Lads, bad arguments and lack of citations aside, I think the pertinent point really is that anyone who wants to smoke weed in Ireland already does, and can get it very easily. Just because something is suddenly made legal doesnt mean it's going to be mixed in with your kids' sambos by their schools ffs. The only people that will be availing of legal weed will be those people currently availing of illegal weed. The country might as well make a few quid off the stuff rather than me giving my money to my mate deco who doesn't pay tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

genericguy wrote: »
    Lads, bad arguments and lack of citations aside, I think the pertinent point really is that anyone who wants to smoke weed in Ireland already does, and can get it very easily. Just because something is suddenly made legal doesnt mean it's going to be mixed in with your kids' sambos by their schools ffs. The only people that will be availing of legal weed will be those people currently availing of illegal weed. The country might as well make a few quid off the stuff rather than me giving my money to my mate deco who doesn't pay tax.

I think this is probably true for a lot of people.

I'll say that for me *personally* I don't buy/smoke/consume weed in Ireland because it is illegal. If it were legal, I would occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

One thing I think needs to be pointed out in this debate, is that the conservative/ moralist/ joe duffy brigade types are not the chief reason for cannabis been illegal. Tbh I doubt they would have much input into whether or not weed is legal, if the governments of the West wanted to legalise it or not. I belief that the biggest factor against it's legalisation - and always has been, is that of big business from big oil to big pharma and to other industries such as paper production, clothing production industries, all of which have a large influence on government decision making. The problem with weed, is that it's not only an enjoyable recreational past-time, but it's also a source of fuel, source of medicine, source of paper production, cheap source of clothing etc. and the John D. Rockafeller's of this world, with many governments in their back pockets (particularly the likes of the US Republican Party) will do all they can to ensure that governments do not legalise cannabis.

I honestly doubt that it's illegal simply because of people smoking it. On that basis, alcohol would also be illegal. There are a lot of vested interests with a lot to lose were cannabis legalised. Make no doubt about it, the moralist brigade are put an annoying screeching background noise in this debate, and most likely have very little sway over the outcome of the legalisation debate. It's big industry and business, with a lot of influence in the corridors of power in the world's capital cities, which are the biggest obstacle toward it's legalisation. Big oil, big pharma, big clothing or whatever else would have a lot to lose were hemp/ cannabis legal and readily available.

Hippies! wrote: »
    Em, how about no.

Em, how about yes.

Excellent article.

http://www.world-mysteries.com/marijuana1.htm
    Did you know, it is estimated that hemp has approximately 25,000 uses? From food, paint and fuel to clothing and construction materials, hemp is used.
    Every 3.6 seconds someone in the world dies of hunger. Hemp seeds are the most nutritious and economical solution to end world hunger. With an 80 percent concentration of "good fats" our bodies need for good health maintenance and protein with all eight amino acids plus optimum dietary fibre, hemp truly is a "perfect balance" food source.
    The first diesel engine was designed to run on vegetable oils, one of which was hemp oil. In the 1930s Henry Ford produced an automobile composed of 70 percent hemp plastic which also ran on hemp based fuel and oil.
    In 1916, the U.S. Government predicted that by the 1940s all paper would come from hemp and that no more trees need to be cut down. Government studies report that 1 acre of hemp equals 4.1 acres of trees.
    80% of all textiles, fabrics, clothes, linen, drapes, bed sheets, etc. were made from hemp until the 1820s with the introduction of the cotton gin.
    Henry Ford's first Model-T was built to run on hemp gasoline and the CAR ITSELF WAS CONTRUCTED FROM HEMP!
    Hemp called 'Billion Dollar Crop.' It was the first time a cash crop had a business potential to exceed a billion dollars; Popular Mechanics, Feb., 1938.

And plenty more in there. Yeah cannabis was made illegal because of a bunch of counter-cultural hippies having a good time :rolleyes:

dttq wrote: »
    One thing I think needs to be pointed out in this debate, is that the conservative/ moralist/ joe duffy brigade types are not the chief reason for cannabis been illegal. Tbh I doubt they would have much input into whether or not weed is legal, if the governments of the West wanted to legalise it or not. I belief that the biggest factor against it's legalisation - and always has been, is that of big business from big oil to big pharma and to other industries such as paper production, clothing production industries, all of which have a large influence on government decision making. The problem with weed, is that it's not only an enjoyable recreational past-time, but it's also a source of fuel, source of medicine, source of paper production, cheap source of clothing etc. and the John D. Rockafeller's of this world, with many governments in their back pockets (particularly the likes of the US Republican Party) will do all they can to ensure that governments do not legalise cannabis.

I honestly doubt that it's illegal simply because of people smoking it. On that basis, alcohol would also be illegal. There are a lot of vested interests with a lot to lose were cannabis legalised. Make no doubt about it, the moralist brigade are put an annoying screeching background noise in this debate, and most likely have very little sway over the outcome of the legalisation debate. It's big industry and business, with a lot of influence in the corridors of power in the world's capital cities, which are the biggest obstacle toward it's legalisation. Big oil, big pharma, big clothing or whatever else would have a lot to lose were hemp/ cannabis legal and readily available.

That's a bit CT for me. Big business can always buy small business and i'd wager if/when it becomes legal in most of the west it will be the same people in the background running the businesses. Just look at the how the west treats tobacco companies and you'll see that the morality mob have huge powers to pressure society. If bis business really had the govt. in it's pockets cigarettes would still be advertised on tv, smoking in public buildings would be fine and happy hours would still be legal.

• Advertisement

That's a bit CT for me. Big business can always buy small business and i'd wager if/when it becomes legal in most of the west it will be the same people in the background running the businesses.

Nope. Weed can be grown in a green house down the back yard by any old person. There'd be no requirement to buy it from a business.

That's perhaps one of the reasons governments (special interests) don't want to legalise it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

mikom wrote: »
    Here is a recent study........ http://www.ukcia.org/research/keele_study/Assessing-the-impact-of-cannabis.pdf

Assessing the impact of cannabis use on trends in diagnosed schizophrenia in the United Kingdom from 1996 to 2005.
    Concucted by...
    Martin Frisher. Department of Medicines Management, Keele University, Staffordshire, ST5 5BG, United Kingdom.

Ilana Crome. Academic Psychiatry Unit, Keele University Medical School, Harplands Hospital, Hilton Road, Staffordshire, ST6 4TH, United Kingdom

Orsolina Martino. Department of Medicines Management, Keele University, Staffordshire, ST5 5BG, United Kingdom.

Peter Croft. Primary Care Sciences Research Centre, Keele University, Staffordshire, ST5 5BG, United Kingdom

Findings below.........

It is only undeniable if you come to the debate with a closed mind.....

Not going to criticise this study on the basis of where it was conducted. I will however question the strength of the study in that it presents cross-sectional data on prevalence and incidence of schizophrenia. Cross-sectional studies are not strong at proving (or disproving) causation, particularly when the exposure/risk factor of interest, cannabis use, isn't quantified and other potential causes of schizophrenia are not accounted for.

Regardless, while this study does not show an increase in schizophrenia in the UK population over a period over which cannabis use reportedly increased, do you consider there is an association between cannabis use and schizophrenia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Nope. Weed can be grown in a green house down the back yard by any old person.

Alcohol can too in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I know people do this under the guise of helping people with cancer etc etc. But we all know they just want to get stoned without fear of repercussions. I'm fine with people doing it at home and such, quietly. I don't know if legalizing it is all that simple. For example is it safe to drive or operate heavy machinery? are we going to have to breathalize for it? are all the kids gonna be allowed at it?

Mainly it just makes people content with being lazy and doing nothing.

Medically it does have some negative effects, for their is a risk of it causing problems if you start regularly smoking before your brains finished developing. And I've heard form many people with mental health problems (depression / anxiety mainly) that it just makes things worse, and gives them paranoia.

and I don't think it quite going to bring the type of tourists Discover Ireland is aiming for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

One thing's for certain, Cannabis is never the ignition like say Alcohol when it comes to people battering each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

dttq wrote: »
    Em, how about yes.

Em, how about no.

Noodleworm wrote: »
    I know people do this under the guise of helping people with cancer etc etc. But we all know they just want to get stoned without fear of repercussions. I'm fine with people doing it at home and such, quietly. I don't know if legalizing it is all that simple. For example is it safe to drive or operate heavy machinery? are we going to have to breathalize for it? are all the kids gonna be allowed at it?

Treat it the same way we do other legalised drugs.
    Mainly it just makes people content with being lazy and doing nothing.
    Even if true you have no right to tell people how they should live.
    Medically it does have some negative effects, for their is a risk of it causing problems if you start regularly smoking before your brains finished developing. And I've heard form many people with mental health problems (depression / anxiety mainly) that it just makes things worse, and gives them paranoia.

I've read about a slight concern with kids using it but I'd have the same concern with them using any recreational drug.
    and I don't think it quite going to bring the type of tourists Discover Ireland is aiming for.

If it brings extra money I doubt they'd mind but who cares. It's about individual freedoms not what can we make out of it.

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Alcohol can too in all fairness.

Yes but it's quite technical. It's less trouble to buy a few cans (be grand).
    penguin88 wrote: »
    do you consider there is an association between cannabis use and schizophrenia?

Yes and it doesn't matter. We don't ban cycling because people suffer horrific injuries and death in accidents. We try to make it safer. We try to reduce the harm.
    Noodleworm wrote: »
    For example is it safe to drive or operate heavy machinery?

Of course not.
    are we going to have to breathalize for it?

Yes.
    are all the kids gonna be allowed at it?

No. That's an issue for parents. Indeed, at least if it was legal and a young person was caught smoking it by his parents they wouldn't have to deal with the added stress of worrying about him being automatically deemed a criminal.
    Medically it does have some negative effects, for their is a risk of it causing problems if you start regularly smoking before your brains finished developing.

Nobody should be taking any drugs while they are children. Who's advocating that?
    And I've heard form many people with mental health problems (depression / anxiety mainly) that it just makes things worse, and gives them paranoia.

Then the idiots should stop smoking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Then the idiots should stop smoking it.
    Maybe idiots should stop moaning about legalizing the drug :pac:
    its already used medically and is growing in the heart of London by some pharmacy,and im sure that people with conditions such as cancer and other diseases get the meds with some thc or other ingredients with it.but the majority who moan legalize cannabis are dreaming of getting a chance to grow them full throttle in their gardens and sheds,and then start selling it,and its funny how people compare tobacco or alcohol and the harm it does to cannabis,because alcohol and tobacco is enough to get people in a happy state,and government have all the control over it.
    Where if cannabis would be legalized it would require new laws being developed extra millions on doing scans and checks whos growing,who uses it when they use it,how long before person can function normally again and other unnecessary crap.

US is legalizing it now in many states,but if you want to go pissing in a cup before every interview or whenever company decides to do checks,then feel free to vote yes for it.

scamalert wrote: »
    its already used medically and is growing in the heart of London by some pharmacy,and im sure that people with conditions such as cancer and other diseases get the meds with some thc or other ingredients with it.but the majority who moan legalize cannabis are dreaming of getting a chance to grow them full throttle in their gardens and sheds,and then start selling it,and its funny how people compare tobacco or alcohol and the harm it does to cannabis,because alcohol and tobacco is enough to get people in a happy state,and government have all the control over it.
    Where if cannabis would be legalized it would require new laws being developed extra millions on doing scans and checks whos growing,who uses it when they use it,how long before person can function normally again and other unnecessary crap.

US is legalizing it now in many states,but if you want to go pissing in a cup before every interview or whenever company decides to do checks,then feel free to vote yes for it.

There's so much wrong with this I couldn't be bothered with the time it would take to help you realise it.

• Advertisement

Could you please enlighten me as to why pro-legalisation is idiocy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Allround Predator

Why would you want to legalize Cannabis in Ireland, the government would only put all sort of taxes on it and you would probably end up paying double for what you pay now. The government will use it as a way to extort money out of people like they do with everything else.

Why would you want to legalize Cannabis in Ireland, the government would only put all sort of taxes on it and you would probably end up paying double for what you pay now.

And if weed is legalised how do you think the Govt. would prevent people from growing it in a little poly tunnel down the back garden?

Does anyone actually think through their shoot-downs before they write them?

Why would you want to legalize Cannabis in Ireland, the government would only put all sort of taxes on it and you would probably end up paying double for what you pay now. The government will use it as a way to extort money out of people like they do with everything else.

I don't use the stuff so it's not my concern but as pointed out to me it would be pretty easy to produce your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

There's so much wrong with this I couldn't be bothered with the time it would take to help you realise it.
    because maybe your head is to cloudy to process what i wrote :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

wow, scama lert. your the 1,111 poster!

totally, em, like and em what was em, yeah. awesome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

I agree. That was pretty mind-blowingly stupid alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

To eliminate the chance of having a criminal record for being caught in possession of an illegal substance would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ArseLtd

I don't use the stuff so it's not my concern but as pointed out to me it would be pretty easy to produce your own.

It's true it can be easily cultivated. It doesn't matter if you don't use it your tax is being wasted on an un-enforcable law. It just leads to excuses to take away peoples rights (Look at the US).

The government also likes to use cannabis as a scapegoat. The government did a terrible job planning towns and now there are criminals. There's nothing for teens and adolescents to do but instead of tackling that problem they blame drugs. The education system is sh!t and only suits the type of students who will remember and regurgitate information. But it's much better for them to blame cannabis because then the private prisons make money and so do the police and judges and alcohol tobacco companies ... this all happens because the system itself is inherently unfair and outdated but we'll leave that for another thread.

Were labeling people who rather weed over beer as criminals. The truth is i would feel far safer in a marijuana world (because we are in an alcohol world at the moment). I have little respect for a law that bans consumption of a plant, while at the same moment does f.uck all for drunken brawls, drunken domestic abuse and disease related to alcohol and how it's pushed on us all.

If you're against legalisation you're either uninformed or you've shares in alcohol/private prisons. You also may be against legalisation if you are a cannabis dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

because maybe your head is to cloudy to process what i wrote :rolleyes:

It's pretty sad that every 50 posts we get a response like this.

"You have this opinion?"
    "Must be because you're high. :rolleyes:"

You should try getting more creative with your insults.
    I hear cannabis helps.

Advertisement