Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legalize Cannabis Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

charlemont wrote: »
    They would want to be smoking some strong grade stuff for any of the above, The usual low grade hash that used to be sold here wouldn't be strong enough to make any driver erratic if smoked an hour before driving, This Gilson guy drove like a nutcase and deserved to be banned but the emphasis in this case on Cannabis/ Drug driving is taking the piss. He must have just been in a ferocious temper or has anger management problems or something. Driving without due care or attention.

Cannabis is the made an issue of because it was in his system. If alcohol was in his system that would be the issue. Same goes for valium. If you don't believe cannabis use affects your driving you are living in the clouds.

charlemont wrote: »
    Tell that to the little girl who found a junkie's needle on the steps today.

That seems in no way related to what I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Uruguay's government unveiled a proposal to legalize and monitor the marijuana market, arguing that the drug is less harmful than the black market where it is trafficked.

Source: MSNBC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

one day i smoked a marijuana cigarette and i died the end

one day i smoked a marijuana cigarette and i died the end

Bummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

LCIMayo wrote: »
    Well let me be your Sherlock Holmes and unravel this mystery. Legalizing cannabis would be a massive economical boost for the country's tourism industry, has many proven medical benefits and its also a drug that cannot kill you.

Those things you mentioned like helping poor and elderly people are indeed great causes and I have the greatest respect for people who follow those causes, but I do believe that legalizing cannabis so long if it is done correctly would be of great benefit to this country.

Also in regards to the recreational use of cannabis. If you are genuinely that concerned for your health then put down that cigarette, cup of coffee and beer because alcohol, tobacco and caffeine are far more dangerous than cannabis and cause thousands deaths each year where cannabis causes none.

Thanks for your response :)

LOL. Clearly all that weed you're smoking has turned your brain to jelly. Might I ask do you ever hear a sloshing sound inside your head as you walk around during the day?

Cannabis has been shown to induce schizophrenia in genetically predisposed individuals.

The smoking of cannabis also causes lung cancer.

So you see the medical health costs associated with this drug far outweigh and of your ''benefits''.

Oh and tourism!hahah!that was the funniest point of all. Yeah, let's turn our country into a drug haven for lackies and border jumpers, as if we don't have a big enough problem with gangland crime and drugs here as it is, let's bring a host of junkies from abroad over here as well.

Take your filthy drug habits elsewhere you dirty junkie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

insanity50 wrote: »
    LOL. Clearly all that weed you're smoking has turned your brain to jelly. Might I ask do you ever hear a sloshing sound inside your head as you walk around during the day?

Cannabis has been shown to induce schizophrenia in genetically predisposed individuals.

The smoking of cannabis also causes lung cancer.

Sources please?

Sources please?

Rang and Dale Pharmacology 6th edition, chapters 38 and 42.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

No.

Links please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Living in Vancouver and it's pretty much legal here. Anywhere you walk you can smell it, this city is also the most awesome place on earth. There are places where you can smoke legally due to some Marc Emery political cannabis party loophole and the government is more concerned about Alcohol and violence than weed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

This relates to adolescents if memory serves me correct.
    Please be specific if you are going to throw around the schizophrenia bogeyman.

An adolescent should not be smoking anything in my opinion.
    An adolescent should not be drinking alcohol in my opinion.
    Oh, and the present laws are not stopping them from doing either.

Yet adults drinking alcohol in moderation is perfectly fine in my opinion and the opinion of most even minded individuals.
    I would also be of the opinion that adults ingesting cannabis (preferably vaped) in moderation is perfectly fine too.
    The most dangerous side-effect of this behavior is the chance of a criminal record.......... and that is man-made.

MagicSean wrote: »
    Thank you. Although, I think the important part is in the headline:
    New RCSI research demonstrates how cannabis use during adolescence affects brain regions associated with schizophrenia

insanity50 omitted that part in his/her post.

El Weirdo wrote: »

They always do........ and they say stoners are the forgetful ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

one of the worst argument to legalize cannabis I ever seen is the reason that it does no harm. For the 420 crowed to have any hope they need to stop signing this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Jester252 wrote: »
    one of the worst argument to legalize cannabis I ever seen is the reason that it does no harm. For the 420 crowed to have any hope they need to stop signing this
    Would you suppose it does more or less harm than alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I have the leaning that it does less damage than alcohol but I have heard many people who support cannabis say that it does no harm. If they what it have it legal they need to admit that it does cause some damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DjDoody

I have the leaning that it does less damage than alcohol but I have heard many people who support cannabis say that it does no harm. If they what it have it legal they need to admit that it does cause some damage.

The biggest damage is probably due to the smoke and people who add tobacco.Also like everything weed does not agree with everyone,

El Weirdo wrote: »

I didn't omit anything.

Do all sources referenced have to be based on internet links?

I referenced the go to text in modern clinical pharmacology (although perhaps you'd prefer to use Goodman and Gillmann, although while I think you'll find the content similar and at greater depth, the clinical application is less sufficient) and you're telling me it's not valid. Lol. My dear friend, not all knowledge is based off some ''bro science'' article referenced on journal.ie.

Saline point, open a book every now and again and don't assume all knowledge is gleamed from a dot com website.
    mikom wrote: »
    They always do........ and they say stoners are the forgetful ones.

Yeah stoners are forgetful. Very much so.
    Counter my argument with a valid point or don't post drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The phrase "One knows who butter's his bread" comes to mind.

Yeah stoners are forgetful. Very much so.
    Counter my argument with a valid point or don't post drivel.

I did............... A D O L E S C E N T S.
    I didn't omit anything.

Without mentioning the adolescents link to you just threw out a reference with a wide open schizophrenia claim........... a reference to a report that say paddy sitting in a cottage in Belmullet would not be able to check up in a decent time frame to allow a reply be made to you.

It makes this internet forum lark run a lot smoother.

A prime example....

Maybe you would like to explain to me how there was a steep rise in the prevalence of cannabis use in Australia over the past 30 years but no evidence of a significant increase in the incidence of schizophrenia over the same period.
    Here is a direct link to the study http://www.cannabis.net/psychosis/schizoprecip.html
    Sorry I could not mail the book to you.
    Saline point, open a book every now and again and don't assume all knowledge is gleamed from a dot com website.

A poor bedside manner......... and an even poorer grasp of terms.... you sir are a gem.
    (I was on a saline drip once, but never on a salient one).

On a related note.. I presume you are aware of the clinical trials of Flanagan & Marks 2010 chapters 4 and 20.

• Advertisement

I didn't omit anything.

You are having a debate on the internet. It's common courtesy to provide links to sources. The average reader isn't going to have a copy of that particular study to hand, I'd wager...
    I referenced the go to text in modern clinical pharmacology (although perhaps you'd prefer to use Goodman and Gillmann, although while I think you'll find the content similar and at greater depth, the clinical application is less sufficient) and you're telling me it's not valid. Lol. My dear friend, not all knowledge is based off some ''bro science'' article referenced on journal.ie.

... oh, and if you insist on being so condensing and patronising when you post, then it might be an idea for you read a dictionary and learn the difference between "saline" and "salient". These little things matter when you're trying to sound clever on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

^ Salty.

^ Salty.

and sterile....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Cannabis isnt a harmless drug and we should be aiming to reduce addiction levels. I think the best way to do this is regulate the industry as opposed to creating a black market.

Most negatives regarding drugs (crime, gangs etc) are caused by the system. Addiction isnt helped by the fact it is illegal either. It is available in any town in Ireland and despite all efforts this isnt changing either. Time for a different approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

ColHol wrote: »
    Cannabis isnt a harmless drug and we should be aiming to reduce addiction levels. I think the best way to do this is regulate the industry as opposed to creating a black market.

Most negatives regarding drugs (crime, gangs etc) are caused by the system. Addiction isnt helped by the fact it is illegal either. It is available in any town in Ireland and despite all efforts this isnt changing either. Time for a different approach.

most intelligent thing i've read in this thread so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

This argument is like the discussion you can have with people what you would do if you won the lotto.

Legalisation isn't going to happen and if it does it wont be for a very long time20yrs+.

Personally I am 50:50 in relation to whether it should be legalised. My heart says yes but my head says no.

Lost almost 2yrs to it and now that I haven't been in contact with 4yrs I am, ......... who am I kidding, give me a pot of tea, chocolate biscuits and pro evo; goodbye social life.

And that's the problem. Lots of people have no control. No real hangovers cause the wake and bake become too easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I would say there are more chronic alcoholics in full time employment than there are people with a problem with the smoke. It makes you alot laier and prone to procrastination than booze tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Does it matter?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Lord Bafford

Fully legalise it!

The Catholic zealots can go f-u-c-uk themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 mc gripen

I think it should be a persons choice if they smoke or not. It would cause mayhem if alcohol was made illegal. I have seen lives completely ruined from drink. We are a nation of drunkards who always take the moral high ground when it comes to smokers but everybody should really just mind their own business. It's funny how the easiest drug to grow is illegal but the one which most people buy, makes more tax and causes more fatalities than any other is seen as perfectly fine. I know I would rather be stuck with a stoned guy on the night link than a drunk guy starting fights with his shadow. I'm not saying cannabis is good Im saying drink is as bad and either cannabis should be made legal or drink should be made illegal.

Advertisement