Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legalize Cannabis Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

This thread NEEDS a poll!
    Too big to get an accurate reading of how boardsies actually feel about the subject even after reading it all.
    I vote legalize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Fully legalise it!

The Catholic zealots can go f-u-c-uk themselves!

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I think cannabis is one of the crapest drugs there is, it just turns people into monged out of their face zombies, you know, but I think that it should be a personal choice and I do think decriminalising it is the way to go, no point in turning zombie humans into criminals for wanting to use the stuff. :rolleyes:

I think there needs to be a lot more education on drug use though (including alcohol), weed is addictive and in many users it can fuck up peoples minds. Many of the pro posters on here seem to conveniently only talk up the good side and then deflect by talking about alcohol, I don't think that is the right way to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Marquis de carabas

Legalizing cannabis is a decision for society to make based on what the majority believe is acceptable or not.

Such a decision is based on a number of factors such as the perceived dangers of a substance, the medical pros and cons and the economic impact it might have.

Linked to that is also the consideration of what effect widespread use might have on society as a whole. Its unlikely alcohol abuse could be said to have had a beneficial impact on Irish society. While it could be argued cannabis use is already at high levels I personally think making it legal would lead to more use.

But its not a crime issue. legalizing cannabis will not reduce crime. Legalizing anything does not reduce crime. All it does is reduce crime statistics. Criminals do not distribute drugs because they believe everyone has a right to have them.

Criminals deal drugs because they want money. If they suddenly couldn't deal cannabis tomorrow they'd still deal everything else. If you legalize all drugs they'd deal in prostitution. Legalize that and its gun running. They have the connections. They have the supply lines. They have the will to follow through even with the risk of getting caught. It will not cost them. It will not slow them down.

You cannot solve a problem simply by ignoring it. Society should legalize cannabis if it wants to but only because it believes it to be acceptable to use it. Not because people are tired of trying to solve a problem and want to take the easy way out.

People talk of the fight against drugs as being a lost cause. They're wrong. Its a fight against crime and it will never be won. That's not the same as losing. If there solution is just to give up then it says all I need to know about that person.

If it were legal the number of people who use it will rise at first then drop. Assume the sames laws for alcohol the biggest user will be underage because its their way of saying Muck you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Legalizing cannabis is a decision for society to make based on what the majority believe is acceptable or not.

Such a decision is based on a number of factors such as the perceived dangers of a substance, the medical pros and cons and the economic impact it might have.

Linked to that is also the consideration of what effect widespread use might have on society as a whole. Its unlikely alcohol abuse could be said to have had a beneficial impact on Irish society. While it could be argued cannabis use is already at high levels I personally think making it legal would lead to more use.

But its not a crime issue. legalizing cannabis will not reduce crime. Legalizing anything does not reduce crime. All it does is reduce crime statistics. Criminals do not distribute drugs because they believe everyone has a right to have them.

Criminals deal drugs because they want money. If they suddenly couldn't deal cannabis tomorrow they'd still deal everything else. If you legalize all drugs they'd deal in prostitution. Legalize that and its gun running. They have the connections. They have the supply lines. They have the will to follow through even with the risk of getting caught. It will not cost them. It will not slow them down.

You cannot solve a problem simply by ignoring it. Society should legalize cannabis if it wants to but only because it believes it to be acceptable to use it. Not because people are tired of trying to solve a problem and want to take the easy way out.

People talk of the fight against drugs as being a lost cause. They're wrong. Its a fight against crime and it will never be won. That's not the same as losing. If there solution is just to give up then it says all I need to know about that person.

Guns and pimping would still be illegal though and there'd be more resources for the police to police them, with them not chasing after people for smoking a joint anymore. You'll also find the market for guns and sold sex is either not as large as that of cannabis or is already occupied by nefarious businessmen. You'd probably find that an awful lot of cannabis users wouldn't have a problem helping the police cut down on sex slavery(separating that from prostitution where the sex worker consents) and gun crime. You might even find some enterprising former criminals moving into legitimate distribution, and what'd be wrong with that?

There are vested interests keeping cannabis from being legalised- the police unions, alcohol, tobacco and the pharmaceutical industries do not want anyone to disturb their honey pots. They contribute and lobby relentlessly to keep politicians in their pockets.
    http://www.republicreport.org/2012/police-marijuana-cpac/
    http://soprweb.senate.gov/index.cfm?event=getFilingDetails&filingID=AA305517-7F6A-4A0F-8B1B-61D3BFC92289
    http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2010/09/beer_lobby_gives_10000_to_no_o.php

People saying it can ruin lives- so what! Anything can ruin life, life can ruin your life! The thing about society is that we need losers, we need janitors and dog walkers. If you were given truthful information about drugs and allowed the choice as an adult to use them, it would be on you as an individual to not screw up your life. I don't want to hear about your friend who 'wrecked' his life by smoking weed- that's his choice(just as if he became an alcoholic) and you're both obviously very different people and you should find some new friends. He probably would've found another way to sabotage himself anyway, not everyone is cut out to be a success.

I believe that cannabis is a drug that can break down barriers and free people from concepts that can/have enslaved them. Altered states of consciousnesses allow people to see from different perspectives- if you can't see how that's valuable in today's global society where ideas that separate us like nation states, class lines, race and other 'us versus thems' are hurting humanity, you're leading a very blinkered life.

As an sane adult citizen of this country, it's recognised that I am fully responsible for my actions and should I commit a non-sumptuary crime, arrest me for it but allow me to do what I want with my own body. If I rob someone because I feel I need money for cannabis, arrest me for that and teach me what an addictive personality is!

Educate people and let them make their own decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭gaffer91

That is the case, but it shouldn't be. People should not legislate their morals on other citizens. A better situation would be where it was legal and if you were opposed to it you just did not partake, and if you liked, started up groups educating people about the dangers of cannabis and so on.

I agree that the tax on the item should cover any potential healthcare related costs. However the economic benefits of cannabis legalisation would completely outway any extra costs.

Cannabis, while not completely harmless, is one of the least destructive drugs there is, on a personal and on a societal level.

You are also mixing up use and abuse. Noone is saying alcohol abuse is good for the person or society- but most people who use alcohol are not alcoholics. I would also equally argue that noone would say that society would be better off if alcohol was illegal like other drugs- look at the failed prohibition attempts in the USA.

Yes it would. You are only thinking about crimes such as the act of selling the drugs but what about all the associated murders etc?

There is not the same demand for prostitution or guns as there is for drugs. Without the money driving the violence crime rates would drop significantly. So yes, it will both cost them and slow them down.

Again, don't impose your morals on others when it comes to victimless crimes. It should be legal whether the majority want it or not. Most of the problems surrounding drugs comes by virtue of the fact they are illegal, not from the drugs themselves (although there is health risks, don't get me wrong).

The war on drugs has been a complete disaster. I don't know how anyone could argue differently. People killed or incarcerated, lower quality drugs affecting users health, money lost or wasted, the general contempt it creates for the law- all in the name of criminalising a victimless activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Guns and pimping would still be illegal though and there'd be more resources for the police to police them, with them not chasing after people for smoking a joint anymore. You'll also find the market for guns and sold sex is either not as large as that of cannabis or is already occupied by nefarious businessmen. You'd probably find that an awful lot of cannabis users wouldn't have a problem helping the police cut down on sex slavery(separating that from prostitution where the sex worker consents) and gun crime. You might even find some enterprising former criminals moving into legitimate distribution, and what'd be wrong with that?

There are vested interests keeping cannabis from being legalised- the police unions, alcohol, tobacco and the pharmaceutical industries do not want anyone to disturb their honey pots. They contribute and lobby relentlessly to keep politicians in their pockets.
    http://soprweb.senate.gov/index.cfm?event=getFilingDetails&filingID=AA305517-7F6A-4A0F-8B1B-61D3BFC92289

People saying it can ruin lives- so what! Anything can ruin life, life can ruin your life! The thing about society is that we need losers, we need janitors and dog walkers. If you were given truthful information about drugs and allowed the choice as an adult to use them, it would be on you as an individual to not screw up your life. I don't want to hear about your friend who 'wrecked' his life by smoking weed- that's his choice(just as if he became an alcoholic) and you're both obviously very different people and you should find some new friends. He probably would've found another way to sabotage himself anyway, not everyone is cut out to be a success.

I believe that cannabis is a drug that can break down barriers and free people from concepts that can/have enslaved them. Altered states of consciousnesses allow people to see from different perspectives- if you can't see how that's valuable in today's global society where ideas that separate us like nation states, class lines, race and other 'us versus thems' are hurting humanity, you're leading a very blinkered life.

As an sane adult citizen of this country, it's recognised that I am fully responsible for my actions and should I commit a non-sumptuary crime, arrest me for it but allow me to do what I want with my own body. If I rob someone because I feel I need money for cannabis, arrest me for that and teach me what an addictive personality is!

Brilliant post mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

i would hope that any legalisation of the product would include a restriction on producers and suppliers so that criminals couldn't get in on the action. To be honest though, i think you missed the posters entire point. The crime won't go away, it will just go to other markets. The police will still have the same amount of work to do. There are other issues to consider too. You'll effectively be pushing the cannabis dealers into other drug markets. This in turn will create more competition in that market. Competition in drug markets often results in many murders.

None of which is relevant in Ireland.

A very self centered attitude. When you ruin your life you aren't the only one who suffers.

I believe this post was written by someone who is currently high.

Great for you. Not so great for the person who you held a syringe to in order to get your cash though.

To be honest your arguments only harm the legalise side. They are self centered and uninformed and backed up by irrelevant material.
    gaffer91 wrote: »
    That is the case, but it shouldn't be. People should not legislate their morals on other citizens. A better situation would be where it was legal and if you were opposed to it you just did not partake, and if you liked, started up groups educating people about the dangers of cannabis and so on.

A person should not be able to exercise a right to the extent it interferes with others. Society must legislate an individuals rights in order to protect others.
    I agree that the tax on the item should cover any potential healthcare related costs. However the economic benefits of cannabis legalisation would completely outway any extra costs.

i wonder if you have any source for this.
    Cannabis, while not completely harmless, is one of the least destructive drugs there is, on a personal and on a societal level.

That is not an argument for legalising cannabis. It is an argument for making other drugs illegal.
    You are also mixing up use and abuse. Noone is saying alcohol abuse is good for the person or society- but most people who use alcohol are not alcoholics. I would also equally argue that noone would say that society would be better off if alcohol was illegal like other drugs- look at the failed prohibition attempts in the USA.

Most people in this country abuse alcohol. Society would be much better off without it. They are both nobrainers. But would prohibition work? Doubtful. Early education would be a start. Make people take more responsability for their actions under the influence. Tax the **** out of it.
    Yes it would. You are only thinking about crimes such as the act of selling the drugs but what about all the associated murders etc?

I've addressed this above. Eliminating cannabis as a source of income would increase competition in other drug markets and result in turf wars. Also, you are assuming cannabis dealers would just move on. i doubt it. If you were a big time dealer and a legal supplier opened in your town what would you do? Burn the place out probably. There's no point in living in the clouds on this. Legalising cannabis would be a very difficult transition.
    There is not the same demand for prostitution or guns as there is for drugs. Without the money driving the violence crime rates would drop significantly. So yes, it will both cost them and slow them down.

Or make them more desperate.
    Again, don't impose your morals on others when it comes to victimless crimes. It should be legal whether the majority want it or not. Most of the problems surrounding drugs comes by virtue of the fact they are illegal, not from the drugs themselves (although there is health risks, don't get me wrong).

Bull****. Robberies, thefts and burglaries to fund habits. Deaths and injuries caused by drivers under the influence. Assaults and public order incidents by people with drug and alcohol cocktails. Most of the crime related to drugs is because of how people behave under the influence of them.
    The war on drugs has been a complete disaster. I don't know how anyone could argue differently. People killed or incarcerated, lower quality drugs affecting users health, money lost or wasted, the general contempt it creates for the law- all in the name of criminalising a victimless activity.

Would you also be in favour of decriminalising drink driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Weed is not a drug , It's a herb man! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Marquis de carabas

No harm but try reading my post. Legalize cannabis if you want but drug dealers will keep on dealing drugs. You can legalize everything if you want but you will still have crime and plenty of it. Don't try and suggest that drug dealers are just normal people who would take up an honest job if they could. If they're not selling something illegal they will be breaking into your house or robbing you on the street. But just to be clear as you obviously didn't get it, I really really really don't care if cannabis is illegal one way or the other. What I do care is people peddling legalization as some wonder cure for all of societies ills.

First of all police don't care. At best its a minor plus on statistics. But if anything most police would rather people smoked weed then drank alcohol. Why? Because they're much easier to deal with. Politicians might like to show high detection but thats a different matter. You might well be right about tobacco and alcohol but pharmaceuticals would only be too happy for it to be legal. Who do you think would make it, test it certify it, package it and sell it?

What does this have to do with anything I said.
    I believe that cannabis is a drug that can break down barriers and free people from concepts that can/have enslaved them. Altered states of consciousnesses allow people to see from different perspectives- if you can't see how that's valuable in today's global society where ideas that separate us like nation states, class lines, race and other 'us versus thems' are hurting humanity, you're leading a very blinker/d life.
    Yes well Im sure that's wonderful and all but since you brought it up cannabis use is mostly smoked by people on lower or no income. Cannabis tends to make you fairly placid. So no doubt widespread use would probably solve a lot of problems for a government who didn't give a damn about people. I don't find the concept very utopian but that's just my opinion.
    As a sane adult citizen of this country, it's recognised that I am fully responsible for my actions and should I commit a non-sumptuary crime, arrest me for it but allow me to do what I want with my own body. If I rob someone because I feel I need money for cannabis, arrest me for that and teach me what an addictive personality is!

If you say so but there are lots of laws which restrict an individuals rights. That's part of being in a society of laws. Try driving without a seatbelt and you'll see what I mean. I guess you might possible injure a pedestrian as you go flying through a windscreen but that'd be a crazy accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think that's idiotic. The moral majority are idiots and should be ignored on many, many issues. I know that unfortunately, you can't really ignore the mob. Cannabis should be classed on a scientific basis and not by the ignorant. The simple fact is cannabis is not harmful enough to justify criminalising people or creating a black market. If there's no reason why people shouldn't be allowed to use cannabis then there's no reason for it to be illegal.

They do all these things already, there's very few criminal gangs in Ireland. Taking cannabis from them would mean taking a large chunk of their revenue away from them. It's simple economics, if they don't have the money to pay their goons, buy more stuff they can't do the same kind of business. They're not going to be able to magically create bigger markets for robbing and prostitution. It's like expecting your ice cream business to stay going if your not allowed to sell chocolate ice cream any more.

This is more nonsense, if there's no reason why cannabis should be illegal people should be allowed to use it, it shouldn't depend on what some people find acceptable at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

The moral majority are idiots and should be ignored on many, many issues. I know that unfortunately, you can't really ignore the mob.

That's hardly democratic...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Tym wrote: »
    There are times for democracy and times for logic and reason. The two don't usually go hand in hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Tym wrote: »

Democracy: Unfortunately where any two idiots can outvote a level headed individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭gaffer91

MagicSean wrote: »

A very self centered attitude. When you ruin your life you aren't the only one who suffers.

I have to respond to this point- what you perceive as a "ruined" life might not tally with what the person himself or herself thinks. For example some people might derive great enjoyment from getting high or getting drunk and who are we to deny them that right?

I have never taken acid for instance, but many people who have say it is a life and perspective changing experience. So there is an element of truth in what Snake Pliisken is saying.

People rarely, if ever, would take drugs with the intention of ruining their life. Also as stated previously, people's perception of a ruined life might differ.

Great for you. Not so great for the person who you held a syringe to in order to get your cash though.

Have you any stats on crimes committed by drug abusers to fund their habits? I often get the feeling this is sensationalised by the media, but I could be wrong. However, you also ignore that legalisation would result in a large price drop, leading to easier and cheaper access to drugs.

To be honest your arguments only harm the legalise side. They are self centered and uninformed and backed up by irrelevant material.

To be honest your arguments only harm the criminalisation side. They are self centered and uninformed and backed up by irrelevant material.

A person should not be able to exercise a right to the extent it interferes with others. Society must legislate an individuals rights in order to protect others.

How does smoking a joint interfere with others? And how does criminalising it protect people?

By all means, try and cut down on drug related antisocial behaviour but not on the drug taking itself, the vast majority of which is harmless to others.

Well common sense should tell you, but here is one anyway. In the USA "For marijuana alone, say Miron and his co-author Kate Waldock of the Stern School of Business at New York University, savings from law enforcement – less time spent on arrests, fewer people booked and jailed – would total $8.7 billion a year. New taxes would bring in roughly the same".
    That is not an argument for legalising cannabis. It is an argument for making other drugs illegal.

No it is an argument against people overblowing the dangers of cannabis to argue that it shouldn't be legalised. Most sensible people would accept that alcohol, a vastly more harmful drug, is far better off legal than illegal so why should cannabis be any different.
    Most people in this country abuse alcohol. Society would be much better off without it. They are both nobrainers. But would prohibition work? Doubtful. Early education would be a start. Make people take more responsability for their actions under the influence. Tax the **** out of it.

Most people could abuse it at weekends for instance, but that does not make them alcoholics.

Also it is not "doubtful" that prohibition would work, it is impossible. History tells us that.

I have no problem with people being prosecuted for any destructive behaviour to other people or property when under the influence but taxing it to the hilt would run the risk of driving it into criminal gangs, much like cigarettes have started to be.

I've addressed this above. Eliminating cannabis as a source of income would increase competition in other drug markets and result in turf wars.

That is an argument for legalising all drugs, I suppose but for many gangs who deal in a large variety of drugs it would just hit their profits but not necessarily lead to more violence.
    Also, you are assuming cannabis dealers would just move on. i doubt it. If you were a big time dealer and a legal supplier opened in your town what would you do? Burn the place out probably. There's no point in living in the clouds on this. Legalising cannabis would be a very difficult transition.

So heavily police the areas around cannabis outlets for the early days, simple. Just because it would be a "difficult transition" to superior circumstances is no argument against it.

That is obviously speculative. Gangs wouldn't be anywhere near as wealthy without the supply of drug money.

Bull****. Robberies, thefts and burglaries to fund habits. Deaths and injuries caused by drivers under the influence. Assaults and public order incidents by people with drug and alcohol cocktails. Most of the crime related to drugs is because of how people behave under the influence of them.

Any stats on all these crimes you speak of? And stats that actually link them to drug consumption.

It is also patently false to say "most crime related to drugs is because of how people behave on them".

Of course not, because you are putting other people's lives at risk, not just endangering yourself.

i would hope that any legalisation of the product would include a restriction on producers and suppliers so that criminals couldn't get in on the action. To be honest though, i think you missed the posters entire point. The crime won't go away, it will just go to other markets. The police will still have the same amount of work to do. There are other issues to consider too. You'll effectively be pushing the cannabis dealers into other drug markets. This in turn will create more competition in that market. Competition in drug markets often results in many murders.
    All crimes that involve cannabis would be off the books, of course there would be less crime. There'd be smaller illegal drug market, less demand and so less money; making it less attractive a business to work in.
    If someone who previously cultivated cannabis illegally wants to cultivate it legally, that's their business, literally. As long as they obey the regulations put in place they would no longer be considered criminals.
    There'd probably be a reshuffling of gangs due to a massive income channel becoming defunct, but that's not a reason to hold back legalisation.
    If they decide to break into another criminal enterprise, we have laws for that.
    None of which is relevant in Ireland.
    American drug policy and money in politics has everything to do with Ireland.
    At some point people have to be responsible for their own actions. I have nothing but compassion for people who find themselves in trouble. If these people had been educated on how to practice moderation, given clean drugs and real information on how drugs act on the body, they'd probably have stayed away. Life is what you make of it.
    I'm definitely not, maybe some caffeine from the two cups of tea I've had today but other than that I'm straight as an arrow right not. As I said in the paragraph you're quoting, you're blinkered.
    Any informed, sane person wouldn't touch heroin with a ten foot pole. Anybody who uses injecting drugs hasn't been given the proper reasoning skills, love or education to live their lives responsibly. Black markets, poverty and uncaring governance creates these people.
    Nope. It's you who's left people behind. You've left people to scum drug dealers instead of regulation. You've left people poor and uninformed, falling into addiction. You've kept people away from treatment and openness with your taboos.

People will always, for ever and ever want to experience different states of consciousness. People just haven't been taught the difference between use and abuse. One just has to look at alcohol, salt and sugar to see that people haven't been taught what moderation is. Cannabis is chance for us to change that.
    Cannabis has been shown to be less addictive and harmful than drugs that are legal right now. So it should be legal if we're talking about precedent.
    It'd perform better than tobacco and alcohol.
    http://norml.org/news/2009/11/19/marijuana-related-health-costs-minimal-compared-to-those-of-alcohol-tobacco
    People in this country abuse blank*.Society would be much better off without it*. They are both nobrainers. But would prohibition work? Doubtful. Early education would be a start. Make people take more responsability for their actions under the influence. Tax the **** out of it.

*Replace blank with your drug of choice.
    **I don't believe this sentence.
    I've addressed this above. Eliminating cannabis as a source of income would increase competition in other drug markets and result in turf wars. Also, you are assuming cannabis dealers would just move on. i doubt it. If you were a big time dealer and a legal supplier opened in your town what would you do? Burn the place out probably. There's no point in living in the clouds on this. Legalising cannabis would be a very difficult transition.
    Money is power, less money means there's less power and the business becoming less attractive.
    As far as a dispensary or coffee shop being burned down by thwarted former dealers, what kind of warped logic is that? We need to keep laws so that the dealers won't throw a hissy fit? If someone burns down a building, they can be arrested on arson charges. End of story.
    We have laws for anything this desperation might lead to that is illegal.
    Cannabis is psychologically habit forming, I doubt there's one person who started thieving solely because of marijuana. Someone who drinks and ingests cannabis is going to have a hard time picking a fight. If they do though there's laws for that.
    As for traffic accidents- http://healthland.time.com/2011/12/02/why-medical-marijuana-laws-reduce-traffic-deaths/
    Drunk drivers effect other people by dramatically increasing the chance of them crashing into them in gigantic hunks of metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Suceed

insanity50 wrote: »
    Rang and Dale Pharmacology 6th edition, chapters 38 and 42.

The compound CBD has been found to treat schizophrenia.

Drug smugglers/cannabis cultivators prefer to import/grow strains high in THC, which lowers the CBD content, because the prefer maximum profit on bulk loads, ergo illegality of the drug contributes to mental illness.

Not to mention when medical marijuana was introduced in some U.S. states, road traffic deaths decreased by 10%, and suicides by 11%.

Drug laws kill!

No harm but try reading my post. Legalize cannabis if you want but drug dealers will keep on dealing drugs. You can legalize everything if you want but you will still have crime and plenty of it. Don't try and suggest that drug dealers are just normal people who would take up an honest job if they could. If they're not selling something illegal they will be breaking into your house or robbing you on the street. But just to be clear as you obviously didn't get it, I really really really don't care if cannabis is illegal one way or the other. What I do care is people peddling legalization as some wonder cure for all of societies ills.

Breaking into someones house is a crime already. If they get caught doing that, prosecute them. I answered a similar post above.

Cannabis isn't a wonder drug. It does however aid in perspective, something that a lot of people would benefit from.
    First of all police don't care. At best its a minor plus on statistics. But if anything most police would rather people smoked weed then drank alcohol. Why? Because they're much easier to deal with. Politicians might like to show high detection but thats a different matter. You might well be right about tobacco and alcohol but pharmaceuticals would only be too happy for it to be legal. Who do you think would make it, test it certify it, package it and sell it?

You can't patent a plant, you can grow it in your back garden though. It could be incredibly cheap aswell if it was legal. The side effect of cannabis when compared to drugs it competes against in treatment of certain maladies for is the different between walk in the park and a walk through the gulag.

What does this have to do with anything I said.

Only the first paragraph was directed toward you, I left a few lines between that and the next to illustrate that. Easy mistake to make.
    Yes well Im sure that's wonderful and all but since you brought it up cannabis use is mostly smoked by people on lower or no income. Cannabis tends to make you fairly placid. So no doubt widespread use would probably solve a lot of problems for a government who didn't give a damn about people. I don't find the concept very utopian but that's just my opinion.

I believe that cannabis' increase in perception is a greater tool for society in the long run than it's power to make people placid. In the lionshare of people, cannabis increases compassion, understanding and empathy. Things everyone could use a little more of in my experience.
    If you say so but there are lots of laws which restrict an individuals rights. That's part of being in a society of laws. Try driving without a seatbelt and you'll see what I mean. I guess you might possible injure a pedestrian as you go flying through a windscreen but that'd be a crazy accident.

Stipulating wearing of seatbelts isn't the same as not allowing people experience different types of consciousness. I always thought the reasoning behind everyone in a car having to wear a seatbelt was so someone didn't 'play pinball' around the car in the event of a crash.

I guess if you're by yourself in the car you could become a gruesome missile and hit someone when flung from the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I'm sick of multi quoting so I'll use numbers instead.
    1. I have to respond to this point- what you perceive as a "ruined" life might not tally with what the person himself or herself thinks. For example some people might derive great enjoyment from getting high or getting drunk and who are we to deny them that right?

2. I have never taken acid for instance, but many people who have say it is a life and perspective changing experience. So there is an element of truth in what Snake Pliisken is saying.

3. People rarely, if ever, would take drugs with the intention of ruining their life. Also as stated previously, people's perception of a ruined life might differ.

4. Have you any stats on crimes committed by drug abusers to fund their habits? I often get the feeling this is sensationalised by the media, but I could be wrong. However, you also ignore that legalisation would result in a large price drop, leading to easier and cheaper access to drugs.

5. To be honest your arguments only harm the criminalisation side. They are self centered and uninformed and backed up by irrelevant material.

6. How does smoking a joint interfere with others? And how does criminalising it protect people?

7. By all means, try and cut down on drug related antisocial behaviour but not on the drug taking itself, the vast majority of which is harmless to others.

8. Well common sense should tell you, but here is one anyway. In the USA "For marijuana alone, say Miron and his co-author Kate Waldock of the Stern School of Business at New York University, savings from law enforcement – less time spent on arrests, fewer people booked and jailed – would total $8.7 billion a year. New taxes would bring in roughly the same".

9. No it is an argument against people overblowing the dangers of cannabis to argue that it shouldn't be legalised. Most sensible people would accept that alcohol, a vastly more harmful drug, is far better off legal than illegal so why should cannabis be any different.

10. Most people could abuse it at weekends for instance, but that does not make them alcoholics.

11. Also it is not "doubtful" that prohibition would work, it is impossible. History tells us that.

12. I have no problem with people being prosecuted for any destructive behaviour to other people or property when under the influence but taxing it to the hilt would run the risk of driving it into criminal gangs, much like cigarettes have started to be.

13. That is an argument for legalising all drugs, I suppose but for many gangs who deal in a large variety of drugs it would just hit their profits but not necessarily lead to more violence.

14. So heavily police the areas around cannabis outlets for the early days, simple. Just because it would be a "difficult transition" to superior circumstances is no argument against it.

15. That is obviously speculative. Gangs wouldn't be anywhere near as wealthy without the supply of drug money.

16. Any stats on all these crimes you speak of? And stats that actually link them to drug consumption.

17. It is also patently false to say "most crime related to drugs is because of how people behave on them".

18. Of course not, because you are putting other people's lives at risk, not just endangering yourself.

1. We are the people who have to deal with them and support them. The term ruin was actually used by another poster and i just responded to it. But i would consider a ruined life to be a life were your choices have led you to being a burden on your family, friends and society while also missing out on opportunities to make something out of yourself.

2. That altered perception is temporary and contributes to the addiction. There are other ways to free your mind.

3. Taht's the point really. Drug laws aim to protect those that cannot make the informed decision.

4. No. These stats aren't recorded but simple logic would say that it is true of reported crime. The reason being that many drug related crimes such as threats and assaults would not be reported so only the serious incidents would be known, whereas the majority of crimes involving drug users would be reported because their victims would not be afraid to come forward. Obviously this is only true for reported crime.

5. You mistake my position. I would be in favour of reducing restrictions on marijuana posession with a move towards legitimising the industry in a manner similar to alcohol and tobacco. I'm just no blind to the difficulties involved nor am I overly optimistic of the benefits it would bring, particularly in the short term.

6. I was referring to the comment about legislating morals. Sometimes morals have to be the basis for legislation in order to protect others. For example, I do not believe cannabis should be advertised or sold near schools. This is a moral stance but one that i believe should be enforced by law.

7. Prevention is often better than a cure. The argument becomes one of how to prevent it. Preventing someone being attacked by a cocaine user is much better than catching him afterwards because it means there is no victim. It is a balancing situation which is necessary in all legislation. Perhaps the cannabis legislation is too far to the right and needs to be centered.

8. Ireland does not have the same focus on cannabis as the States. Most simple posession detections are not sought after, they are generally ancillary to other motives. Simple posession charges do not land many people in prison, nor do they waste much police time. Decriminalising posession would not have a major effect.

9. It's not a good legalisation argument to say it is not as bad as another thing. You might as well be admitting it is dangerous.

10. i never said it did

11. Not impossible. Difficult and ugly.

12. People make their own choices Legalisation would involve taxation and regulation and it's doubtful if it would be cheaper.

13. Possibly, but given the level of violence in the drug dealing profession these days I doubt the big buys would take kindly to new entrants.

14. That sounds like a massive use of police time. Wasn't legalisation supposed to reduce that? I never said it was an argument against it though. My point is that it wouldn't be as easy as most seem to think.

15. That wealth is not something they would easily part with.

16. No stats like that are recorded.

17. No it isn't.

18. if i get into my car twisted drunk and drive home to bed I have hurt nobody. Where is the victim. If you argue that cannabis is a victimless crime then you must surely accept that drink driving is too, as is not wearing a seatbelt and in fact most road traffic crimes. The only time there are victims are when things go wrong. But we legislate it anyway. Same theory behind cannabis legislation.
    1. All crimes that involve cannabis would be off the books, of course there would be less crime. There'd be smaller illegal drug market, less demand and so less money; making it less attractive a business to work in.

2. If someone who previously cultivated cannabis illegally wants to cultivate it legally, that's their business, literally. As long as they obey the regulations put in place they would no longer be considered criminals.
    There'd probably be a reshuffling of gangs due to a massive income channel becoming defunct, but that's not a reason to hold back legalisation.
    If they decide to break into another criminal enterprise, we have laws for that.

3. American drug policy and money in politics has everything to do with Ireland.

4. At some point people have to be responsible for their own actions. I have nothing but compassion for people who find themselves in trouble. If these people had been educated on how to practice moderation, given clean drugs and real information on how drugs act on the body, they'd probably have stayed away. Life is what you make of it.

5. I'm definitely not, maybe some caffeine from the two cups of tea I've had today but other than that I'm straight as an arrow right not. As I said in the paragraph you're quoting, you're blinkered.

6. Any informed, sane person wouldn't touch heroin with a ten foot pole. Anybody who uses injecting drugs hasn't been given the proper reasoning skills, love or education to live their lives responsibly. Black markets, poverty and uncaring governance creates these people.

7. Nope. It's you who's left people behind. You've left people to scum drug dealers instead of regulation. You've left people poor and uninformed, falling into addiction. You've kept people away from treatment and openness with your taboos.

People will always, for ever and ever want to experience different states of consciousness. People just haven't been taught the difference between use and abuse. One just has to look at alcohol, salt and sugar to see that people haven't been taught what moderation is. Cannabis is chance for us to change that.

8. Cannabis has been shown to be less addictive and harmful than drugs that are legal right now. So it should be legal if we're talking about precedent.

9. It'd perform better than tobacco and alcohol.
    http://norml.org/news/2009/11/19/marijuana-related-health-costs-minimal-compared-to-those-of-alcohol-tobacco

10. People in this country abuse blank*.Society would be much better off without it*. They are both nobrainers. But would prohibition work? Doubtful. Early education would be a start. Make people take more responsability for their actions under the influence. Tax the **** out of it.

*Replace blank with your drug of choice.
    **I don't believe this sentence.

11. Money is power, less money means there's less power and the business becoming less attractive. As far as a dispensary or coffee shop being burned down by thwarted former dealers, what kind of warped logic is that? We need to keep laws so that the dealers won't throw a hissy fit? If someone burns down a building, they can be arrested on arson charges. End of story.
    We have laws for anything this desperation might lead to that is illegal.

12. Cannabis is psychologically habit forming, I doubt there's one person who started thieving solely because of marijuana. Someone who drinks and ingests cannabis is going to have a hard time picking a fight. If they do though there's laws for that. As for traffic accidents- http://healthland.time.com/2011/12/02/why-medical-marijuana-laws-reduce-traffic-deaths/

13. Drunk drivers effect other people by dramatically increasing the chance of them crashing into them in gigantic hunks of metal.

1. That's a bit naive. You think the dealers would just give up?

2. They would still be people with a disregard for the law. What makes you think they would suddenly become good boys?

3. They have nothing to do with Ireland. Tobacco lobbying is nonexistent, we have no police unions, no hemp industry. In fact we have very little restriction on how we deal with cannabis.

4. That doesn't change the fact that when they suffer, others do too.

5. I believe i am quite unblinkered. I can see two sides of an issue, not just the one.

6. So you only beleieve in personal choice for the drugs you use?

7. I have done none of the things you allege.

8. Like I said, that is a great argument for legislating against alcohol and tobacco but not a good one for decriminalising marijuana.

9. The study is irrelevent. It does not account for the increase in use that would come with decriminalising the product. You should also consider that the medical effects of something do not become fully apparent until widespread use. it is very possible that a massive increase in drug use could reveal links to toher illnesses.

10 OK

11. People tend to do whatever they can to hold onto power. I'm not saying it's a reason to keep it criminal, I'm saying that maybe you should open your eyes to how hard it could be to legitimise it.

12. Answered above

13. An increased chance does not mean there is a victim.

• Advertisement

1. That's a bit naive. You think the dealers would just give up?

2. They would still be people with a disregard for the law. What makes you think they would suddenly become good boys?

3. They have nothing to do with Ireland. Tobacco lobbying is nonexistent, we have no police unions, no hemp industry. In fact we have very little restriction on how we deal with cannabis.

4. That doesn't change the fact that when they suffer, others do too.

5. I believe i am quite unblinkered. I can see two sides of an issue, not just the one.

6. So you only beleieve in personal choice for the drugs you use?

7. I have done none of the things you allege.

8. Like I said, that is a great argument for legislating against alcohol and tobacco but not a good one for decriminalising marijuana.

9. The study is irrelevent. It does not account for the increase in use that would come with decriminalising the product. You should also consider that the medical effects of something do not become fully apparent until widespread use. it is very possible that a massive increase in drug use could reveal links to toher illnesses.

10 OK

11. People tend to do whatever they can to hold onto power. I'm not saying it's a reason to keep it criminal, I'm saying that maybe you should open your eyes to how hard it could be to legitimise it.

12. Answered above

13. An increased chance does not mean there is a victim.

1. They can try and compete with the legitimate market, sure. But regulation, more selection and cheaper product would make it hard going for the most part. Right now dealing cannabis is a very attractive proposition to any 16-25 year old with a bike wanting a bit of cash.

2. People with disregard for the law will continue to have disregard for the law, with or without drugs being part of conversation. A lot of people who deal drugs don't have the desire to physically hurt or steal from people, they sell drugs because they perceive their actions to be of no harm, they're providing a service to people with similar interests to themselves.

3. America created the world's drug policy and money in politics is the root of nearly all problems in society today.

4. You're not talking about cannabis anymore here, you're talking about illegal hard drugs now. Cannabis doesn't destroy your life. It might allow you to rationalize sloth as a lifestyle, but people who end up like that weren't exactly going to be employee of the month material to begin with anyway.
    People effect the those around them every step of their lives, we're social animals. Maybe instead of guilting people away from drugs, we should look at what's causing people to use in such a self destructive way?
    People who destroy their lives have demons, the reason they use so heavily is to get away from the pain of existence, of worry and shame. If you grow up carrying the pain of other people, whether through poverty, abuse, lack of love or biological chemical imbalance- you need love and treatment, not drug escapism!
    Let's not forget that these damaged people found drugs anyway, while they're absolutely forbidden in almost every country in the western world! Why not offer clean drugs, treatment and real information to these people?

5. You wouldn't be arguing against the legalisation of cannabis if you weren't blinkered.
    Imagine there were four people stranded on a deserted island and one of them decided that he was going to smoke the weed that grew naturally on the island and the other three told him he wasn't allowed. How stupid would that be? They'd be needlessly encroaching on his freedom when he's doing absolutely no harm to anyone else.
    You only get one life on this planet according to most people. Why shouldn't you be allowed to try a drug, to experience anything you want to experience as long as your not violating another person's rights?

People should be given real information and allowed to make their own decision. It's hard to stomach being told I'm not allowed to smoke a joint 'for my own safety and that of those around me' when people can go into a supermarket and buy refined sugar, e-numbers and fatty foods for their children and enough alcohol to kill themselves when all that **** is just as poisonous, if not more so than a bit of weed!

6. Those people are free to do as they please as long as they're not hurting others, but they are being ignorant and stupid. They can be ignorant and stupid for as long as they please and then they can go get help. I don't know whether there will always be casualties of addiction, all I know is that addiction levels and drug abuse is higher than it ever was before and prohibition isn't working. Guilt and misinformation isn't working. We need a new strategy, and the truth and education looks to be the best way to combat abuse.

7. You agree with prohibition. That's what prohibition does. It marginalizes people, makes them afraid and suspicious of their own government. It keeps the poor in their place. It takes a medical issue and turns it into a crime.

8. In a perfect world, no one would abuse drugs. But people use drugs, so let's be real about it and treat adults like adults and let them assume responsibility for their actions.

9. Cannabis has been around for thousands of years, with widespread use in many cultures over the millennia. Cannabis is RELATIVELY SAFE AS HAS BEEN SAID AND DEMONSTRATED OVER AND OVER IN THIS THREAD. The point I was making was that the health cost of cannabis was much lower than that of both alcohol and tobacco, so taxes would probably cover the public medical cost of the side effects of the drug. People have been smoking weed in California since the counter culture popped over there and there hasn't been any 'other illnesses' manifesting themselves from fifty years of hippy culture.

11. The line between legitimacy and the black market is literally lines on a piece of paper. The money is there to ensure that should the change over take place, it'd would all go fairly smoothly. People protect their investments. And illegal drug dealers can't go to the police, they can just get arrested by them.

13. A .015 BAC makes you 25 times more likely to crash. There are millions of people on the roads, of course there are victims. Any comparison drawn between the victims of drunk driving and those who suffer from drug addiction is an insult to those who've died in car crashes at the hands of drunk drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'm sick of multi quoting so I'll use numbers instead.

Great for addressing the points of another single poster, but as this is a forum for group discussion, numbering your replies makes it a colossal pain for others to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Drug laws aim to protect those that cannot make the informed decision.

I see. By banning drugs they leave their sale and distribution to degenerates and thugs. That way vulnerable people are protected...

... oh wait, no, that's total bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

Snake Pliisken said:
    "You can't patent a plant".

Sorry but Monsanto did this already, thus creating a monopoly on the soya plant in the US by allowing them to sue any farmers whose crops had been pollenated by the Monsanto patented soya, and also allowing them to sue any farmers who kept seeds.

If the Legalize Cannabis Ireland crowd or whichever group really wants to be taken seriously, then they need to mount a cohesive argument and have a clear manifesto. Otherwise you just look like a bunch of contrarian fools shouting over nothing. The sad thing is - Your goal is a worthy one. You are right, the cannabis laws in this country are self-defeating and only serve to create problems which have nothing to do with cannabis, only the illegality of cannabis.

Firstly, stop using the word "Legalize", regulate is so much more accurate. Alcohol is legal, yet regulated. Now think about the appalling contaminants and fillers added to commercial hash and weed in Ireland. Shards of glass, silicone, glues, solvents, animal excrement etc. If you ordered a pint and the barman filled it 1/3 of the way with beer and then started pouring all kinds of unidentifiable chemicals into it, would you still buy that pint?

Illegal cannabis is unregulated cannabis, so it´s unregulated on every level. If you buy a bag of commercial weed, all you´ve really got to go on is the fella who sold it to you saying "AK-47 man, that´s good stuff". You have absolutely no clue as to whether it was grown with Miracle-Gro or an organic fertilizer. Has it been flushed? Has it been stored properly? Does it contain CBD and CBN as well as THC?

If you´re reading this and you don´t smoke then you probably don´t care whether cannabis users are smoking clean weed or filth. Fair enough, but remember as we´re talking about an unregulated market here that means the sellers have absolutely no qualms about selling to children either. The current "solution" is an expensive, ludicrous and outdated policy creates far more damage than the dried buds of the female hemp plant ever could.

The THC issue is essentially another issue created by prohibition. The Daily Mail and their like continually jump on the "cannabis is much more potent nowadays" bandwagon. Not true at all! Did anyone here ever smoke Nepali Temple Balls, Red Leb, Charras or Turkish Weed back in the day (before contaminants)? Really strong stuff. A lot of people who think hydroponic weed is dangerously potent are invariably comparing it to soapbar hash (an absolutely filthy product which was the #1 drug in Ireland for many years and made John Gilligan a lot of money, despite the fact that it contained very little cannabis!).

High levels of THC can only be considered a problem in the absence of CBN and CBD. Bizzarely the current drugs adviser to the Irish government is actually aware of this! Some strains of cannabis which yield large amounts of bud however do not contain CBN or CBD. Dealers don´t care about this, they only care about bulk and profit! So you see, again it´s the fact that it´s an unregulated product that has resulted in the more agressive strains of cannabis dominating the (again unregulated) market.

The Dutch solution (although it makes for a great weekend! ) is probably not the best. The cannabis going into the shops isn´t regulated, but at least they ask for I.D. and won´t try to sell you coke and pills too! The quality is very good there but only because if one shop is selling garbage then they won´t do very good business, a type of self-regulation by the customers I suppose.

Many countries in Europe allow people to grow a couple of plants at home - Holland, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic and I think Italy too (open to correction on that one). Simple, effective and something that should be done here.

The big changes will come from the Western Hemisphere though. Canada, some US states, Argentina, Brazil are all starting to have progressive ideas and some have admitted officially that prohibition has failed. It may however be little Uruguay who will be the first to properly legalize cannabis!

http://sociedad.elpais.com/sociedad/2012/06/21/actualidad/1340239024_658124.html

(Sorry if you can´t speak Spanish! Try the Google translator! )

The prohibitionists will lose eventually.

ScumLord wrote: »
    There are times for democracy and times for logic and reason. The two don't usually go hand in hand.

They never go hand in hand

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

huge revenue with legalising cannabis,(for that i would be tempted to bring it in,and of course the huge tourism boost for businesses etc..)but there might be an antisocial element to this when it gets brought in,and schizophrenics,as its supposed to be linked with schizophrenia..

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

The Legalise drugs posters here have only long winded obfuscated arguments that have little merit and designed to drive away intelligent responses . I'll be back to remind them from time to time as i always have . They have no argument that is decent and honest only words that veil other motives .

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Fully legalise it!

The Catholic zealots can go f-u-c-uk themselves!

Brilliant reason to legalise cannabis............... not
    How many spliffs have you smoked today to come up with that ?
    And there was I wondering why they call it dope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

you have to weigh off the pros and cons

pros:will bring in huge revenue and employment for lots of people in the cannabis coffee shop industry and manufacturing of cannabis in factories etc,transport bringing it in loads,also will have a knock on effect will attarct local customers and tourists,will bring a huge boost to other businesses in the locality,and will bring a huge amount of public tax in making us a richer country by far..will go a long way to paying off our debts too and have some left over to make us a prosperous country..
    cons: but the problem is handling it,legaising it will have an anti social element to it prostitution and aids etc,maybe other types of drug dealers will come to ireland(if not set up already)and more turf wars etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

alex73 wrote: »
    Unbelievable... So I am supposed to respect a group promoting an illegal activity?. Even in Amsterdam where it's legal u now have to register as Dutch user. So if the Dutch which is the only country to legalise cannabis are rolling back why the hell would ireland want to legalise drugs.... For Gods sake I have seen too many lives wasted with alcohol, let's not add more drugs. I have been on the front line of drugs!! I know the ugly picture, I have seen the ruin drugs have caused families. Don't worry when the group meets I will be there.
    The campaign's aim is the legalisation of cannabis. They're not telling you to smoke it.
    Btw, I used to smoke plenty of weed, for years, I gave it up when I gave up the ciggies, where you get the idea from that it ruins lives I'll never know. Hard drugs, yes. Does it lead to hard drug use? Does it bollocks.
    People who go from drink to pills or weed and eventually the hard stuff are people who have problems and would've ended up on the hard stuff without ever touching weed. They are not recreational users, they're desperate unhappy.
    I totally agree on the amount of lives ruined by alcohol abuse, but cannabis is another matter altogether.

Advertisement