Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legalize Cannabis Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/man-held-over-waterford-drugs-find-3105851.html
    A man is being questioned over the seizure of 80,000 euro of drugs.

Almost 100 cannabis plants, cannabis herb and resin were discovered when a house was searched in Tallow, Co Waterford.

A man in his 40s was arrested at the scene and is currently detained under Section 2 of the Criminal Justice (Drug Trafficking) Act, 1996, at Dungarvan Garda Station.

Gardai said the drugs have an estimated street value of 80,000 euro, subject to analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

paddyandy wrote: »
    WHY HAS HOLLAND BLOCKED DRUG TOURISTS WITH PLENTY OF EUROS ??????.

If you paid any real attention to what is happening over there you wouldn't have to ask that. As you have asked it, you are merely highlighting your own ignorance on the subject. Given the current issues in Holland are a highlight within our life time (much as Portugal a few years ago) if you had any genuine interest in forming a decent, informed and well thought out opinion on this you should really be paying attention.

Instead I hazard the guess that you have no interest in anything beyond your pre-made decisions and letting the forum know how right you are and how wrong everyone else is.

Anyway, seeing as you need your hand held on this issue here is a brief run down. Holland have altered there stance of tolerated weed for tourists due to the pressure from neighbouring EU countries. In Holland it is largely being viewed as a border province problem that is resulting in nation wide legislation. People cross the border into Holland and load up, return home and sell the stuff illegally within their own country. As such a lot of pressure was put on Holland to do something about this, rather than take any steps like improved border control or customs they sought to make the sale to people from outside of Holland illegal.

This is why the city of Amsterdam is attempting to have the legislation brought in on a provincial basis, so it can be enacted in border provinces but not in others.

It's amazing what you can learn if you just read up on it.

For what it's worth, I don't think you are narrow minded, i just think you lack the requisite intelligence to genuinely challenge your own views. You tend to make such things clear every time you post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Such is the nature of the times, of smoking; I only see it as becoming even more illegal than the 1950s em very selves so be grateful for what you got

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Here's a video of a US Supreme Court judge on the reasons for legalization for the USA, they definitely apply to Ireland as well. There's no excuses for not watching, whatever side of the argument you're on and we all know that we'll never get legalization here without them doing it first.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Logical Fallacy: ...Why do the neighbouring countries object ?

• Advertisement

LH Pathe : hold on to what's left of your brain 'cause it's handy for writing posts correctly .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

As LF said, people buy the drugs in Holland and return home and sell it there (illegally).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

People of neighbouring countries go there, get drugs with the intent of selling them on their home market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

For what it's worth, I don't think you are narrow minded, i just think you lack the requisite intelligence to genuinely challenge your own views.

:eek:

A Churchill worthy retort.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's not that the entire country objects, obviously many of the neighbouring countries citizens find it very convenient. It's the usual political football where vocal politicians target cannabis as evil to make them seem somewhat important.

From the police forces point of view a law is being broken so they have to find ways of stopping that law breaking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Holland have altered there stance of tolerated weed for tourists due to the pressure from neighbouring EU countries. In Holland it is largely being viewed as a border province problem that is resulting in nation wide legislation. People cross the border into Holland and load up, return home and sell the stuff illegally within their own country. As such a lot of pressure was put on Holland to do something about this, rather than take any steps like improved border control or customs they sought to make the sale to people from outside of Holland illegal.

This is why the city of Amsterdam is attempting to have the legislation brought in on a provincial basis, so it can be enacted in border provinces but not in others.

You forgot about the nutty right wing government that was in power

Snake ; I only look to America to see our own very bleak horizon by the way that society has deteriorated over the past few decades .See the Documentaries on Ghetto life it maybe our future if we continue to ignore the signs all around us . ( links are sometimes dangerous on boards.ie)

Snake ; I only look to America to see our own very bleak horizon by the way that society has deteriorated over the past few decades .See the Documentaries on Ghetto life it maybe our future if we continue to ignore the signs all around us . ( links are sometimes dangerous on boards.ie)

Cannabis has been around a lot longer than the last few decades. There are more contributors to the problems of ghettos than just cannabis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Because a drug that is illegal in the neighbouring countries can be easily smuggled in by land borders with Netherlands. I think his post was extremely clear, read it more carefully and you'll understand.

I am DEFINITELY in favour of legalisation, although I think a more realistic goal is decriminalisation.

In what way have peoples life's deteriorated? By all accounts peoples life's have improved decade on decade. Even the life's of the poor. The only link cannabis has to crime is the government put that money in the hands of criminals for no legitimate reason, cannabis doesn't cause criminal behaviour.

Comparing anything in Ireland to Americas ghettos is laughable.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's not that the entire country objects, obviously many of the neighbouring countries citizens find it very convenient. It's the usual political football where vocal politicians target cannabis as evil to make them seem somewhat important.

From the police forces point of view a law is being broken so they have to find ways of stopping that law breaking.
    Is it only a political football ?????
    or is there another reason ????
    and what is/are those reasons ????

Neighboring countries, where cannabis is not decriminalised , spend money tackling this 'problem' in their own country. Instead of making it legal themselves, they put pressure on the dutch to stop selling it to their citizens.

Look up decriminalisation in Portugal in 2001 and the benefits it has had there

If they legalise Cannabis here in Ireland then these are 'the good ole' days ' With all the rubbish that will arrive with it ...An Avalanche with great new Rafts of problems and they may say someday " Did the not learn anything from lessons abroad "?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

i dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet but aside from an economy boost from legalisation, the criminal world will also take a huge hit from legalisation and i dont know if anyone else has noticed but the criminal underworld is a huge problem in this country and needs to be tackled head on, things like legalising cannabis will in fact hit these guys where it hurts

Yes it's a political football. A politician looking for some media coverage while doing sweet FA takes a cannabis ball and kicks it at a child's face then starts jumping up and down screaming "look what that football did to that child's face!"

• Advertisement

i dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet but aside from an economy boost from legalisation, the criminal world will also take a huge hit from legalisation and i dont know if anyone else has noticed but the criminal underworld is a huge problem in this country and needs to be tackled head on, things like legalising cannabis will in fact hit these guys where it hurts
    Sean C.
    Don't be naive about that they will quickly have a cheaper brand ready and plenty of handy alternatives .No problem .

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

Sean C.
    Don't be naive about that they will quickly have a cheaper brand ready and plenty of handy alternatives .No problem .

while yes this may be true would you rather legally have the real thing that you love and enjoy or illegally have an imitation that is not as good and potentially dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

LCIMayo wrote: »
    Greetings all...

Any chance your friends in LCI could stop vandalising the place with the dopey looking stickers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Sean C.

If it was legalised it would be free to anyone willing to grow it or anyone who knows anyone who grows it, as is done in Portugal (it's decriminalised in Portugal though, not legalised).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Sean C.

Could you get me the scores for the Champions league and Heineken Cup finals while you're looking into your crystal ball of doom?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Could you get me the scores for the Champions league and Heineken Cup finals while you're looking into your crystal ball of doom?

Everyone lost.......becuase they were high. :(

Sean C.
    Brands? Alternatives? First there are no legitimate alternatives to weed. People who want weed won't accept the crap that the headshops had years ago so that's a non runner.

Second if cannabis was legalised and produced commercially there's no way criminals could price match their illegal weed being grown in turned over houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If they legalise Cannabis here in Ireland then these are 'the good ole' days ' With all the rubbish that will arrive with it ...An Avalanche with great new Rafts of problems and they may say someday " Did the not learn anything from lessons abroad "?

Just read the Portugal stuff I posted and stop waffling nonsense about something you know little about. Educate yourself.

Me thinks you're just trolling now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

What problems?

The lower cost on the legal and prison systems, the drop in usage that Portugal reported, the very relaxed attitude of the population to the usage of the drug (less people in Holland smoke weed than in Ireland as a percentage of the population)...and that's just the drugs issue.

Hell, even if the sale of cannabis is never legal here the growth of hemp would be a massive boon to our economy.

All I did was ask you to read up on it, and here you are, still asking questions that you could educate yourself about.

That's some shameful ****, to quote Bunk Moreland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Pushtrak wrote: »

I don't know what street they were buying their drugs on!

Advertisement