Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legalize Cannabis Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Anyone that has properly researched what has happened in Portugal over the last ten years since decriminalisation and is not demanding that our government adopt a similar approach must, in my opinion, have a vested interest.

In Portugal, drug usage rates have fallen and people who need help and addiction treatment have access to much better services without fear of prosecution.

I'm tired of reading the papers and seeing cases put in front of Judges where 'Joe Bloggs' was found in possession of 20eur worth of some drug. Do people have any comprehension of how much this is costing the state and taxpayer, not to mention what a monumental waste of time and resources it is for the Gardai, at a time when resources have never been so low and stations are being closed all over the country. Id prefer to see more Garda resources available for patrols in rural areas to protect our elderly population from burglaries etc rather than their time being wasted chasing 'Joe Bloggs' for his bit of cannabis.

Whatever about legalisation, decriminalisation needs to happen sooner rather than later. The current approach being used to tackle the drugs issue is not working and has never worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

DjDoody wrote: »
    I laughed a lot the papers are so full of ****.

They even put a picture of the judge on the article in a local paper about me in which I had been caught with a half ounce, Some state, You would swear I had killed someone. I was the only person caught with a small amount that day to be sentenced to do time actually only got ten days so I was lucky enough. I was out next day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DjDoody

charlemont wrote: »
    They even put a picture of the judge on the article in a local paper about me in which I had been caught with a half ounce, Some state, You would swear I had killed someone. I was the only person caught with a small amount that day to be sentenced to do time actually only got ten days so I was lucky enough. I was out next day anyway.

10 days for a half once you did well.I know someone who served 2 years for around the same but he had them all in separate bags.What did they say in the article I would presume they labelled you as a drug dealer or exaggerated what happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Advocates of evil, LOL

Why is it so hard for some (narrow minded) people to comprehend that it is possible to take cannabis and live a perfectly normal life without any effect on your life. There are many professionals throughout this country who smoke/vape/digest in the comfort of their own home and do no harm to anyone. These people are grown adults, they can make their own mind up. Why do these people have to suffer the wrath of the law because you narrow minded people won't give it any consideration? Just a blanket "No, all drugs are evil, we'll not talk about it, never". This is a backward argument that has got us nowhere. Just take one look at the total mess our social scene has become because of it. Walk down any high street from midnight to 4am on a Saturday night and see the carnage of a socially acceptable alcohol fueled society. The proof has been posted (Portugal), read it and educate yourselves. It's time for change.

I'm fully in favour of legalisation, but I feel it should start with decriminalisation. For a start, make it OK to grow a plant for your own consumption in your own home. You're not doing any harm to anyone. Stop wasting the Gardai and the judicial systems' time for possession of small amounts. Put the effort into education in schools and help (not alienate) those that need drug treatment. I've seen how this works first hand in Holland 18 years ago, I lived there for 5 months. Dutch people are well educated about the effects of drugs. They take them casually. The high streets in Holland don't suffer from the social carnage we see here, except when there's an influx of foreigners mixing drugs and alcohol, hence the moves to close the coffee shops to outsiders.

Just to add, I am not a teenage stoner with a vested interest in legalising drugs. I'm a late 30's father of 2 teenage children. I grew up in a pub on a high street, I've seen first hand how our society is very messed up and I've seen how this backward attitude is getting us nowhere. Too many of our politicians come from or have an interest in public houses. Ming cried about this in Castlerea. People complained about the carnage on the streets on weekends, the town had many many pubs, no cinema, no pool hall, no bowling alley, no clubs. No other social outlets that didn't include alcohol. Yet these same people voted year after year for the local publican and expected change.

Open your minds and educate yourselves or things will never change.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

" backward" a typical vehicle term used by nihilist lefties .What does it mean ??????
    "There are many professionals" etc., etc the usual cliches are never far away . You think their children enjoy seeing a doped up father who behaves like a stranger to them ???? Could explain why the children have problems later ....." ....not doing any harm" Are you certain of this ?????? WHY HAS HOLLAND BLOCKED DRUG TOURISTS WITH PLENTY OF EUROS ??????They Mix loads of different things here too and the stories are horrendous .See Sun. papers !And of course the "blame the politicians" idea is never far away either....you have omitted the church though .To these people A NARROW MINDED person is somebody who won't accept liberal ideas .They have minds like Bins.... full of trendy rubbish out of pop culture and leftie rags .They have no argument put spew P.C nonsense out that sends a dangerous message to the young .Count the Absurd number Suicides in the last two decades many are drug related and unfortunately we have failed in the area of Alcohol Abuse too ....dismally. It's showing no signs of tapering off either only more awareness talk .We can't deal with it ..it seems . Fools have money and votes and the 'Machines' are on their side .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

DjDoody wrote: »
    10 days for a half once you did well.I know someone who served 2 years for around the same but he had them all in separate bags.What did they say in the article I would presume they labelled you as a drug dealer or exaggerated what happened

2 years for a half ounce oh hash ??? Unless maybe your talking about Weed..

I was talking about Hash though, Half ounce was only €60 but of course the Garda said it was worth €80 to the judge..Got the usual lecture about funding gang land crime..

charlemont wrote: »
    2 years for a half ounce oh hash ??? Unless maybe your talking about Weed..

I was talking about Hash though, Half ounce was only €60 but of course the Garda said it was worth €80 to the judge..Got the usual lecture about funding gang land crime..

Ah I see I was talking about weed.Still I wouldnt go near most of the hash in Ireland its all soapblocks thats why I only make it myself or know the person who made it

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

There are posters who are trying to bury my posts by making very long winded comments
    who lack brevity and conciseness .Don't be fooled by them .Probably a few Head Shop
    owners with huge stock using the treaty tailwinds to get to re-opening soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 36 asdf1234

Personally I am outraged at the notion of sufferers of Cancer, MS, Parkinsons and various other debilitating, painful and/or sleep depriving illnesses getting legal access to drugs that relieve their symptoms while offending my morality.

P.S, paddyandy, count the absurd number of suicides that are related to social intolerance and high-horseriding while you're at it. Clue: Regional suicide rates don't correspond to drug usage rates. They do, however, seem to align themselves pretty proportionally to the number of self-righteous cretins who preach and pontificate about how other people should live their lives. Next time you decide to claim the support of suicide victims for your random moralistic notions, maybe you should check out whether there is any basis in reality for your claims. Oh and:

paddyandy wrote: »
    There are posters who are trying to bury my posts by making very long winded comments
    who lack brevity and conciseness .Don't be fooled by them.

Who do you even think you are addressing here? Some loyal legion of followers you are educating with your magnificently constructed arguments?

who lack brevity and conciseness .Don't be fooled by them .Probably a few Head Shop

Or there not just talking out of their arse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Havent they found new evidence that links cannabis directly to schizophrenia?

Thats more to do with genetics.Weed just like nearly everything else doesnt agree with everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

They Mix loads of different things here too and the stories are horrendous .See Sun. papers !

Quality....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It can trigger it earlier as far as i know but as to whether it actually causes schizophrenia is debateable. THe amount marijuana consumption in the states has risen over the last century but the rate of schizophrenia has remained static. Either way there doesn't seem to be anything conclusive on it.

This article sheds a bit of light, couple of years old now though, can't find anything more recent: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2005559,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

who lack brevity and conciseness .Don't be fooled by them .

Since you refuse to read anything other than bullet points:
    • Just because a point isn't brief doesn't make it any less of a point.
    • Explaining your point properly can take a lot of text.
    • Just because someone has a different opinion to you doesn't invalidate it.

Probably a few Head Shop

I can assure you I'm no head shop owner, and I'll put money on it that none of these people are either.

" backward" a typical vehicle term used by nihilist lefties .What does it mean ??????
    "There are many professionals" etc., etc the usual cliches are never far away . You think their children enjoy seeing a doped up father who behaves like a stranger to them ???? Could explain why the children have problems later ....." ....not doing any harm" Are you certain of this ?????? WHY HAS HOLLAND BLOCKED DRUG TOURISTS WITH PLENTY OF EUROS ??????They Mix loads of different things here too and the stories are horrendous .See Sun. papers !And of course the "blame the politicians" idea is never far away either....you have omitted the church though .To these people A NARROW MINDED person is somebody who won't accept liberal ideas .They have minds like Bins.... full of trendy rubbish out of pop culture and leftie rags .They have no argument put spew P.C nonsense out that sends a dangerous message to the young .Count the Absurd number Suicides in the last two decades many are drug related and unfortunately we have failed in the area of Alcohol Abuse too ....dismally. It's showing no signs of tapering off either only more awareness talk .We can't deal with it ..it seems . Fools have money and votes and the 'Machines' are on their side .

From the desk of Holden Caulfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Where in my post did I say I take cannabis? I don't.

The very fact that you mentioned The Sun says it all, if that's your gospel there isn't much hope for this country. A debate is where 2 parties listen to each other and make points against each others arguments. Did you even bother to read up on Portugal? Other than that there is not a single valid point in your post.
    www.cato.org/pubs/wtpapers/greenwald_whitepaper.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Your first post here is a great example of thought disorder and delusional reasoning and your second is a great example of paranoia and persecutory complex. Have a look at these videos, your posts read like fragmented thoughts that keep flitting from you before you can fully articulate them just like these two schizophrenics who are also impassioned(and think they're right) but are completely and utterly wrong.

This post isn't to humiliate or make fun of you and we're anonymously posting on an internet forum so there's nothing personal in this. It just needs to be highlighted before people continue arguing with you that your opinion may be skewed by your mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

Maybe its time to move this thread to another forum... I think its connection to Mayo forum was lost some 19 pages ago.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

qrrgprgua wrote: »
    Maybe its time to move this thread to another forum... I think its connection to Mayo forum was lost some 19 pages ago.

I think you are correct about that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

This thread has gone way outside of anything to do with Mayo

Moving to After Hours

Mods please move to a more appropriate forum if not for After Hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

My God, I can't think of something less worthwhile to get involved in than the legalisation of cannabis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

LOL, when Ming has to ask Vincent for his name:D

I wish they'd just leagalise weed already and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

There would be absolutely no benefit in tourism terms, what a fallacy. Also maybe ask the hard drug user what drug was the first they ever took?

It was probably coffee or tobacco or alcohol. but there good drugs I suppose, nice tax earners.

My God, I can't think of something less worthwhile to get involved in than the legalisation of cannabis

Legalisation of peadophilia.

I've got loads more....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

mikom wrote: »
    Legalisation of peadophilia.

I've got loads more....

:D

Legalisation of cannabis is one of the few things that I don't have an opinion on. I just simply don't care. I think a lot of people feel like that, which is why I don't think it will ever get legalised in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Mayo cannot be mixed with cannabis.

Mayonnaise just doesn't burn well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

For cannabis to be legalised anywhere it needs to have respected, professional people like Doctors etc throwing their weight behind the cause, rather than people who refer to themselves as Ming the Merciless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

This video doesn't exactly do the marijuana pro people any favours, but it does cite scientific papers on the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Marijuana=cancer of the will. Best description I've ever heard. Legalise ahead, it will reduce the competition for jobs.

Advertisement