Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

s_gr wrote: »
    whats the update on new fixed firmware, are ferguson aware of the problem or have they assumed its been fixed??

Do we all need to email them again?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Guys does anyone have the facility to record TV3 and ITV Hd london via hdmi and then send them as a file to me or put the results up on you tube or similar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

200motels wrote: »
    I can't for the life of me understand how you have to go to all the bother of recording Irish channels with boxes from all over the place. Get Sky for 23 euro a month and record away at your hearts content

I disagree, 23 x 12 is still €276 a year, every year.:eek:
    The whole point of this unit is the fact it won't cost you a penny when it's all set up and running.
    It's a no-brainer really, 4 months of that Sky sub would pay for this unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rochep

Hi 200 motels,

It is all about the stisfaction of aquiring the ability to use technogy
    for yourself.
    With your Sky box you can only do what it tells you to do.
    You can record all you like, but can it produce a HD DVD of a BBC 4 ballet to give to your relation on the Northside ?

rochep

Tony wrote: »
    Guys does anyone have the facility to record TV3 and ITV Hd london via hdmi and then send them as a file to me or put the results up on you tube or similar ?
    Hi ,
    I think I can - If I connect the Ariva 120 to a MultiMedia drive with a HDMI cable,
    record from TV3 & ITV1 Hd , connect the MultiMedia drive to the PC, upload the files & then Email them to you, would that work ?

Rochep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Small point: DVDs and BBC 4 are not HD.

Thanks Rochep

rochep wrote: »
    Hi ,
    I think I can - If I connect the Ariva 120 to a MultiMedia drive with a HDMI cable,
    record from TV3 & ITV1 Hd , connect the MultiMedia drive to the PC, upload the files & then Email them to you, would that work ?

Rochep

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Where is the best place to pick up one of these?

Hi ,

Rochep
    oops! my multi media Iomega has HDMI output only - sorry Tony.
    If I can record some other way, I will try.
    Rochep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Mexecutioner

JDxtra wrote: »
    Small point: DVDs . . . are not HD.

Have you forgotten HD DVD already?

• Advertisement

oops! my multi media Iomega has HDMI output only - sorry Tony.
    If I can record some other way, I will try.
    Rochep

No problem thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OK - so new box just connected up.

Using default load list
    FTA - went through each - at least on live playback no lag or sync issue spotted.
    Saorview - no signal from my aerial - so need to have a look at that, hopefully it is just something simple but as I had not used that cable in this house before I am unsure for the moment.

PVR - not tested yet to see if there is any lag.

Method of connection.
    Scart to composite to TV Sender unit...
    HDMI connection is not an option for me.

Thrilled to have TV back - as I said just my initial run through so as I get more updates will let you know - but as yet no lag...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

willyb007 wrote: »
    I am uploading my completed New Channel List & Favourites to here for anyone interested in downloading it. I have put a lot and lot of time in to compiling this just the way I want it. I have Channels organised in favourites also. The TV & Radio channels are based upon the order FTA Channels are listed on a S*y Box with a few exceptions. BBC & ITV Streams are also on this and have their own section in the favourites. If you choose to use it you might have to manually change name of the favourite groups on the combo box itself as the editor seems to have a glitch in that respect. Hope you will enjoy it if you choose to use it! :D

http://www.mediafire.com/?ffjsx0dixdpal49

PS: Bear in mind i am using the Carinn Hill Transmitter so you prob wont pick the Irish Channels up depending on where you are in the Country!

Hi tried your list and its excellent, all works apart from the RTE's. I am receiving from Clermont Carn so thats my problem. Is there any way to edit manually rather than do a rescan as this will mess up your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Thats a different point of view but 23 euro a month is forever, a combo box and hard drive are one off costs. Sky boxes come from all over the place too.
    That's all fine and dandy and if your into combo boxes fair enough, but Sky Atlantic HD where else would I get this fantastic channel? Not with freeview, not with freesat, or any combo you can think of, that's why I have Sky and the simple way to record. But hey that's only my opinion. Whatever rocks your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

That's all fine and dandy and if your into combo boxes fair enough, but Sky Atlantic HD where else would I get this fantastic channel? Not with freeview, not with freesat, or any combo you can think of, that's why I have Sky and the simple way to record. But hey that's only my opinion. Whatever rocks your boat.

Sky Atlantic only shows old repeats of stuff originally shown on the fta channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭philahern

I know they say don't feed the trolls but what is the point of your comments here? We are all interested in this unit and this thread is about it and nothing else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

If you are happy to pay so much money( and to continue paying indefinately!) to watch what alot of other people have already seen elsewhere...... then work away bai...whatever floats your boat;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

pissed wrote: »
    Hi tried your list and its excellent, all works apart from the RTE's. I am receiving from Clermont Carn so thats my problem. Is there any way to edit manually rather than do a rescan as this will mess up your list.

Only rescan the DTT stations. It will add the channels to the full list. Select Germany as the country. Then delete the DTT ones that show no signal.

Only rescan the DTT stations. It will add the channels to the full list. Select Germany as the country. Then delete the DTT ones that show no signal.

Will that not mix them all up again? When I got the box first and was playing about with it I sorted my satellite channels then done a terrestrial one. Ended up with the channels all over the place again. I thought there might be a way of editing each station and just instert whatever has to be changed and save but I dont see any options re frequencies on the editor.

Taltos wrote: »
    Thrilled to have TV back - as I said just my initial run through so as I get more updates will let you know - but as yet no lag...

Thanks for the update, it seems the scart is ok for almost everybody but the HDMI output is still showing a problem here on ITV HD London feed.

• Advertisement

Will that not mix them all up again? When I got the box first and was playing about with it I sorted my satellite channels then done a terrestrial one. Ended up with the channels all over the place again. I thought there might be a way of editing each station and just instert whatever has to be changed and save but I dont see any options re frequencies on the editor.

On my box there is actually three channel lists. A SAT list, a DTT list and an all list. The all list is the SAT + DTT list combined.

I had the same problem with the DTT stations too. I did a DTT rescan and it added the DTT stations to the beginning of the already sorted SAT list.

Remember only do a rescan of the DDT channels not the SAT channels. It should not mess up your SAT channels list but it will duplicate the DTT channels (one will work, one wont, delete the non working one)

I think we can take it as read that since the thread has been titled combo box that most here are interested in that and freesat channels .

Dont mean to be harsh but I think your particular view could be easily discussed on another thread and I do not see the value in discussing the sky v freesat argument in this thread which is specifically about one product.

That's all fine and dandy and if your into combo boxes fair enough,

There is a way , as suggested earlier just do a terrestrial scan . First delete the terrestrial channels that you cannot receive then do a terrestrial scan , you can do a manual scan if you know the freq , make sure you change VHF to UHF . The channels when scanned will appear at the end of your channel list just use the edit channel function on the box to move them forward to whatever number works for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭An.Duine.Eile

You might find this thread more relevant for you
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056288476

On my box there is actually three channel lists. A SAT list, a DTT list and an all list. The all list is the SAT + DTT list combined.

I had the same problem with the DTT stations too. I did a DTT rescan and it added the DTT stations to the beginning of the already sorted SAT list.

Remember only do a rescan of the DDT channels not the SAT channels. It should not mess up your SAT channels list but it will duplicate the DTT channels (one will work, one wont, delete the non working one)

Thanks again, will give it a go tomorrow when I finish work :)

Update: Had a chance to play with the box again this evening. I attached it with scart (first time since new firmware) and it is much better but still out. Only a little but I notice it and it would drive me mad after awhile. I have sync problems to varying degrees on all channels via scart and hdmi.

Good news on the web radio / internet connection though. I plugged it into a different router and hey presto it works fine. Don't know what the difference between the routers could be.

If the sync problems get sorted I will be very happy with this box.

Phil if you are noticing it on mpeg2 channels via scart then I'd speculate there something else going on other than the original software problem.

philahern wrote: »
    Update: Had a chance to play with the box again this evening. I attached it with scart (first time since new firmware) and it is much better but still out.

Tony can you recommend another combo box that has one channel list and will play divx movies from an attached hard-drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

Just after buying one of these. I'm a scart only user...... and working from 3 rock (I think, or is it Kippure!).

Anyway, will be interesting to try it out at least. If the synch isn't too bad I'll be very happy - should also cut down on the 4 or 5 remotes syndrome.

• Advertisement

Phil if you are noticing it on mpeg2 channels via scart then I'd speculate there something else going on other than the original software problem.

Actually I could only test scart with dtt tonight as main tv was occupied. Since the firmware I can still see problems on:

satellite sd via hdmi
    satellite hd via hdmi
    dtt via hdmi
    dtt via scart

Didn't try mpeg2 via scart yet since upgrade of firmware but did try it on old firmware and yes the sync problem was there.

Advertisement