Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 2 Broadcasting in HD now

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

fat-tony wrote: »
    Nothing in the stream - just the Mark I eyeball test;)If you can't tell, then either your TV is not HD, or not big enough or you're sitting too far away.l:D

Exactly! 32" screen from about 7 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

See this thread for some simulated comparisons. Source is crop of 1920 x1080 test card http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056094972

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Exactly! 32" screen from about 7 feet.

with Opera glasses?

That's equivalent to a 26" 4:3 roughly, comparing height!

watty wrote: »
    with Opera glasses?

That's equivalent to a 26" 4:3 roughly, comparing height!

Can't afford a bigger one at the moment watty! I'd be watching BBC1 HD, ITV HD etc a fair bit, so I'd be used to noticing the difference with the 32 inch screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Nothing in the stream - just the Mark I eyeball test;)
    If you can't tell, then either your TV is not HD, or not big enough or you're sitting too far away.l:D

It must be my eyeballs then ..

I have a 50" HD Tele and I'm finding it difficult to tell the difference between my Saorview RTE2 HD and my UPC RTE 2 ...

On sport, I find it easier to tell the difference, but on cartoons, I can't see it :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭John mac

Waybuloo is filmed in HD.

nok tok
    yojojo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

It's ordinary rte2 on saorview only.

Are transparent small dogs much more expensive or what??!!

Thats as equal an eyesore as the ordinary dog..in fact it's worse.
    It's not too bad, the "HD" bit is small enough whereas some other channels which have a HD stream have a unique DOG which tells you its HD BY SCREAMING IT AT YOU IN BIG LETTERS!!

To me, if you need to have a DOG, the BBC 1 HD DOG is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

bob11 wrote: »
    It must be my eyeballs then ..

I have a 50" HD Tele and I'm finding it difficult to tell the difference between my Saorview RTE2 HD and my UPC RTE 2 ...

On sport, I find it easier to tell the difference, but on cartoons, I can't see it :-)
    Something wrong here for sure. On a 50" HD set you should be able to tell the difference. Does the Saorview reception come direct from the TV's internal tuner or an external box? If it was from an external box, then I would suggest you check the signal was coming from the HDMI lead (and not SCART) and was not being downscaled by a setting on the box. If it's from the TV's internal tuner, I can only suggest Specsavers:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

watty wrote: »
    Perhaps they are DOG testing...

Watty, are you suggesting that RTE are dogging?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

There was a programme on about 20 minutes ago that was certainly not HD but had the HD DOG on screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    There was a programme on about 20 minutes ago that was certainly not HD but had the HD DOG on screen.
    Read back through the thread, Minstrel. Most (90+%) of the output is up-scaled ... they are trying to deceive us with their DOGgie:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Maybe it's just my screen, but the programme on RTE Two right now looks HD, it's carrying the HD DOG also (although that could be permanent)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ladder

it is pretty good alright there are a few different ways of getting it i have been looking at deals to get away from paying monthly bills but i also like the free to air channels that brodcast in HD who are the best companies doing the combo free to air and saorview ?

Something wrong here for sure. On a 50" HD set you should be able to tell the difference. Does the Saorview reception come direct from the TV's internal tuner or an external box? If it was from an external box, then I would suggest you check the signal was coming from the HDMI lead (and not SCART) and was not being downscaled by a setting on the box. If it's from the TV's internal tuner, I can only suggest Specsavers:)

I am watching Saorview through the inbuilt Tuner on the TV. A Panasonic 50V10 ..
    By the way, I forgot to say that my UPC box is a HD box as well, so I believe that it upscales the channels as well, so would it be fair to say that an upscaled RTE2 on UPC HD would be much the same as an Upscaled RTE2 HD on Saorview ??

I couldn't tell much of a difference on the Upscaled Cartoons ?

Hopefully the sport tomorrow will be a bit different ?

Or maybe I do need to visit Specsavers :-)

my UPC box is a HD box as well, so I believe that it upscales the channels as well, so would it be fair to say that an upscaled RTE2 on UPC HD would be much the same as an Upscaled RTE2 HD on Saorview ??

I couldn't tell much of a difference on the Upscaled Cartoons

More than likely yes. Have you the UPC HD box connected to the TV with a HDMI lead?

Hopefully the sport tomorrow will be a bit different

Definitely on a 50 inch TV.
    Or maybe I do need to visit Specsavers :-)

Not yet. Magners League Final kicks off at 5pm. Wait till after that starts until you decide!

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    More than likely yes. Have you the UPC HD box connected to the TV with a HDMI lead?

Yes ..

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

By the way, I forgot to say that my UPC box is a HD box as well, so I believe that it upscales the channels as well, so would it be fair to say that an upscaled RTE2 on UPC HD would be much the same as an Upscaled RTE2 HD on Saorview ??)

I would say definately not. The RTE2 signal coming to your UPC HD box is fairly low bitrate. The upscaled SD on Saorview will look much better.

I think in terms of quality on RTE2 for SD content: Soarview > Sky > UPC. Maybe some one else can confirm that.

The Simpsons was still in the wrong aspect ratio earlier and had the HD DOG. Seems they just have the HD DOG on for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

I thought they are only going to have the hd dog when its shown in true hd. how are we going to sure if it is then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Apogee

sky23 wrote: »
    I thought they are only going to have the hd dog when its shown in true hd. how are we going to sure if it is then?

They are probably still fiddling/testing at the moment. It should be easily noticeable whether the source is HD or not. Look for the blades of green grass on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Apogee wrote: »
    They are probably still fiddling/testing at the moment. It should be easily noticeable whether the source is HD or not. Look for the blades of green grass on the pitch.

I thought 'testing/fiddling' was what they have been doing for the last two years and ten months. They started broadcasting the current DTT format on the 1st August 2008. It has not changed much since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Apogee

I thought 'testing/fiddling' was what they have been doing for the last two years and ten months. They started broadcasting the current DTT format on the 1st August 2008. It has not changed much since then.

Maybe they like testing/fiddling!

To be honest, it's a bit odd that the introduction of RTÉ One +1 and RTÉ jr, as well as the HD content on 2 was left until now. But ours is not to reason why...

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Perhaps HD dog is being included for new SAORVIEW adopters following launch this week ? Accentuating HD is new ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Just had a look back to see when this started - Tuesday 5th August 2008 at about 16:00, MPEG-4 engineering test transmissions from Three Rock.

2 years, 9 months, 21 days later we finally have an operational DTT service. Counting down now to ASO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 pof233

Hey, I have a 50" Full HD Samsung, I currently use UPC.

To get RTEHD do i just need to get one of them old aerials, unplug the upc, stick the aerial in and try to manually tune in RTE and itll now be in HD format?

are they showing the CL final in HD tomorrow nite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

pof233 wrote: »
    Hey, I have a 50" Full HD Samsung, I currently use UPC.

To get RTEHD do i just need to get one of them old aerials, unplug the upc, stick the aerial in and try to manually tune in RTE and itll now be in HD format?

are they showing the CL final in HD tomorrow nite?

If your television is MPEG4 compatible then yes.

Champions League is in HD tomorrow night according to an advert on the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

I still think those ads were a bit ambiguous, they were only definite about the rugby and hurling on Sunday being in HD. I've seen no specific mention that the Champions League will be in HD, although I'll happily be proven wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

An Tarbh wrote: »
    I still think those ads were a bit ambiguous, they were only definite about the rugby and hurling on Sunday being in HD. I've seen no specific mention that the Champions League will be in HD, although I'll happily be proven wrong!

Is was fairly explicit in the RTE Guide. It said Champions League, photo of Messi and all! :D Although it didn't say the hurling, only rugby and soccer. I'm sure it'll be all 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

An Tarbh wrote: »

RTÉ Guide article
    The Cush wrote: »
    Saorview launch article from next weeks RTÉ Guide (28 May - 3 Jun), out today.

eqcnz5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

that's grand, cheers for that

Advertisement