Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2011: Round 06 - Monaco Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

one of the best races or recent times, possibly the potentially best last 10 laps ever cut short and ruined. Pity :(

Another race gifted to Vettel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sheeps wrote: »
    i really dont like vettel now. jammy bastard

He's a great driver, & definitely in the same league as Alonso, Hamilton (2008 :p), & recent champions. But man, its getting very dull watchjing things falling into place for him week after week.

Did anyone hear Brundle saying "Everyone elses misfortunes played into Red Bulls hands today"? Not just today martin, every race something happens, or a chain of events happen that play heavily into Vettels hands.

At least in 2010 they had reliability issues to balance things out, now though the race is decided on Saturdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Difference in class between Di Resta and Hamilton is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

God dam red flag, robbed of a stunning final few laps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Hah Eddie in the pool.
    Brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭Trampas

DC begging not to get thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

If you want to get nicely drunk in the afternoon, take a shot every time Lewis is on the radio blaming tires / complaining / blaming someone else.

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    If you want to get nicely drunk in the afternoon, take a shot every time Lewis is on the radio blaming tires / complaining / blaming someone else.

Today was one of the best yet "I think I have a puncture!" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Felt a bit bad for eddie, wonder what he lost, would be a shame if Hamilton missed Canada. He did have two drivers run into the back of him and the team screw up with his tyres, so wasn't all his fault

Felt a bit bad for eddie, wonder what he lost, would be a shame if Hamilton missed Canada. He did have two drivers run into the back of him and the team screw up with his tyres, so wasn't all his fault

Has to be a DQ or a race off IMO. He shouldn't be allowed points from today and a DQ is the only way to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭Trampas

I think EJ lost his glasses or contacts.

Surprised he didn't lose his barnet. I think even DC or Jake heard say it to the other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

20sec penalty for hami
    Drive through penalty for Lewis Hamilton for collision with Maldonado. 20 seconds added elapsed time

sutil was a lap behind him so makes no difference

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Would have preferred he got a DQ for his amateur attempt at the overtakes he made rather than a race ban that's been suggested... 20 seconds... bit of a con tbh, he deserved worse. And I'm a fan of his :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Jammy? Recovering from a calamity pitstop with the wrong tyres put on the car and making the call to drive round Monaco on 50 lap old "soft" tyres to go for the win, is far from jammy. With his points lead he could easily taken the safe option of stopping for fresh tyres and finishing 3rd/2nd
    I was disappointed Jenson held back hoping for Alonso and Vettel to tack each other out when he caught up. SC/Red flag ruined an epic finish to the race.
    Did Hamilton back off to much when he saw Sutil causing the pileup? Not blaming him its a natural reaction.

Didn't watch the forum What was Massa/Maldonado reaction to being called idiots for not getting out of the way? I hope Ferrari get the HorseWhisperer to do a rant on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

cadaliac wrote: »
    Doesn't look good for tyre ware for Mercedes GP. Shui back in 11th. Rosberg getting passed.

Yeah, guess my prediction really ended up being off the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SD7792

Similar to the last poster I think Vettel is getting an unnecessarily hard time here. Sure he may not have won the race had the restart not happened but he drove pretty much a flawless race, the only mistake made was by his team during the pit stop.

People seem to be ignoring the fact the team took a punt by staying out there when most other teams would have brought the driver in and it paid off. Not only that but Vettel drove fantastically well to block off two of the best drivers in the sport while his tyres were 50 laps old..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Grim. wrote: »
    20sec penalty for hami

sutil was a lap behind him so makes no difference

Sounds fair enough :D Think a ban or DQ would have been harsh considering they were 50:50 moves up the inside

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Sounds fair enough :D Think a ban or DQ would have been harsh considering they were 50:50 moves up the inside

Well to be fair they did turn in on him :pac:

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Jammy? Recovering from a calamity pitstop with the wrong tyres put on the car and making the call to drive round Monaco on 50 lap old "soft" tyres to go for the win, is far from jammy.

In fairness pausing the race & allowing the leader to replace his worn out tyres, then resuming the race is indeed jammy. Alonso would have got him I've no doubt, not sure about Button, but Alonso would.

As I mentioned though, he's a propely fast & skilled driver...my gripe is that lady luck just has a bit of a crush on him.

Ficus wrote: »
    All you ever wanted to know about lewis is in this interview in my opinion.

Ouch, there's a PR mess to clean up. I'm sure its intensly frustrating at times, but that's what sorts the men from the boys. As a Lewis fan (and an albeit flailing one over things like this), I can say he seriously needs to rethink his attitude. He will be kicking himself after that interview, you can actually see him cooling off half way through it & resorting back to corporate mode, but whats said is said.

Six races into, thirteen left to go & the nearest person Vettel clearly knows he can't catch him. Unless this blown diffuser regulation change affects things, Hamilton is just going to have to get used to being beaten by a young kid who works for a drinks company (another recent clanger by him).

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ouch, there's a PR mess to clean up. I'm sure its intensly frustrating at times, but that's what sorts the men from the boys. As a Lewis fan (and an albeit flailing one over things like this), I can say he seriously needs to rethink his attitude.

TBH I'm more worried about him taking his frustration out on the track than in the interview.

amacachi wrote: »
    TBH I'm more worried about him taking his frustration out on the track than in the interview.

His attitude in both senses of the word.

In fairness pausing the race & allowing the leader to replace his worn out tyres, then resuming the race is indeed jammy. Alonso would have got him I've no doubt, not sure about Button, but Alonso would.

As I mentioned though, he's a propely fast & skilled driver...my gripe is that lady luck just has a bit of a crush on him.

Yeah i think Alonso might have got him but he was in the right position when the red flag came by skilful driving and a brave call to stay on the soft tyres not by luck. You make your own luck in F1 by being in the right position to take advantage.

Yeah i think Alonso might have got him but he was in the right position when the red flag came by skilful driving and a brave call to stay on the soft tyres not by luck. You make your own luck in F1 by being in the right position to take advantage.

Have a chat with Fernando, I'm sure he'll back me up. I don't begrudge it to Vettel, he's a proper racer. But no matter what you say, Mclaren handed him the win today. That I can handle, but allowing him to change tyres with the race paused was out of his hands - and that, makes it complete & total luck.

Have a chat with Fernando, I'm sure he'll back me up. I don't begrudge it to Vettel, he's a proper racer. But no matter what you say, Mclaren handed him the win today. That I can handle, but allowing him to change tyres with the race paused was out of his hands - and that, makes it complete & total luck.

I will ask him next time in talking to him!

He was lucky with the timing of the red flag, but keeping the car out of the barriers whilst still doing a respectable lap time on shot tyres and holding off Alonso on fresher tyres was not luck! It was the car!

I guess Alonso was lucky McLaren made a stupid call bring Button in anticipating the safety car and put the wrong tyres on, meaning he would have to do an extra stop. He also got fresh super softs to hold off Button during the red flag!

He was lucky with the timing of the red flag, but keeping the car out of the barriers whilst still doing a respectable lap time on shot tyres and holding off Alonso on fresher tyres was not luck! It was the car!

The red flag is what I was referring to originally, there's no doubt to his racing abilities.
    EvilMonkey wrote:
    I guess Alonso was lucky McLaren made a stupid call bring Button in anticipating the safety car and put the wrong tyres on, meaning he would have to do an extra stop. He also got fresh super softs to hold off Button during the red flag!

What the hell is going on at McLaren lately

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ficus wrote: »
    All you ever wanted to know about lewis is in this interview in my opinion.

What an absolute arrogant prat,God forgive me but i have never disliked a driver so much as long as im a motorsports fan, horrible horrible person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Dcully wrote: »
    What an absolute arrogant prat,God forgive me but i have never disliked a driver so much as long as im a motorsports fan, horrible horrible person.

Petulant and childish as well as arrogant. It's all going to his head. *sshole!! I've never been a massive fan, but I have never disliked the guy either. Until now. As long as he keeps this "me against the world" mentality he is going to continue to p*ss off the stewards and the other drivers.

He will be defended by those that say that sportsmen in any sport should never be interviewed in the heat of the moment after the race or match, and they cant be blamed for their emotions getting the better of them. If this had been a one off on an otherwise unblemished pattern of behaviour, then it might be excusable. But it seems to me that he is consistently shows this kind of arrogance now.

I have no doubt that mclaren have a psychologist on the team, and I think he is due some time on their couch!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Didn't watch the forum What was Massa/Maldonado reaction to being called idiots for not getting out of the way? I hope Ferrari get the HorseWhisperer to do a rant on it!

They didn't appear on the forum if I remember correctly, no doubt they wouldn't have been impressed.

I thought it was an exciting race and Vettel did superb to manage the mistake/problem at the pitstop, pretty much any other track and he would have been passed though. Shame we were robbed a proper battle in the last few laps, although it would have just been between Vettel and Alonso it seems. Button looked happy to sit back and wait/hope for a collision.
    Allowing the teams to work on the cars after the red flag seems a silly rule, other than robbing us a fight it gifted Hamilton a chance for points, surely he would have retired with the rear wing damage? Then he wouldn't have been able to punt Maldonado off.

Losing a lot of respect for Hamilton this year, his attitude getting even worse of late. He seems to think just because he "tries his best" on track that he should be given the right of way when trying to pass or that he deserves victories every week. His raising the hand when finally getting past Schumacher was typical of this and his comments about Massa and Maldonado both turning into him were laughable - in neither case was he anywhere near along side for them to see him. You'd expect those crazy moves from a rookie. His public slating of the team again was very poor form, question decisions and give out all he wants behind closed doors - not on live tv. Seems he can't get a handle on his emotions in and out of the cockpit which will ultimately only cost him and the team. Just accept Red Bull are doing a better job and concentrate on improving his own situation.

What are people's thoughts on Webber this year? Very nice chap but getting dominated by Vettel in the same machinery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Hamilton went down in my estimation today.

And while I don't think he'll be given a one race ban I certainly think he deserves it.

Advertisement