Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2011: Round 06 - Monaco Grand Prix

Options
  • 25-05-2011 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

In a sport that changes seemingly every second Monaco is the one shining example of consistency in a sport. The challenge facing the drivers this weekend is the same as the task that was faced by Juan Manuel Fangio in 1950.

Monaco is a circuit that every single corner echoes of the history of Formula 1 and this year is no exception with the race taking play on the 61st anniversary of Stirling Moss’ superb victory for Lotus. That victory was also the first Formula 1 success for the Norfolk based team that went on to win another six times around the streets of the Mediterranean Principality. Their last win at the circuit was in 1987 with Ayrton Senna at the wheel before he moved to McLaren the next season.

It is impossible to think of Monaco without thinking of the Brazilian who had arguably his most impressive performances on the street circuits. Whether it was his incredible performance in his first appearance at the circuit in 1984, when a red flag before half distance robbed Senna, and indeed Stefan Bellof, of the chance of challenging Alain Prost for victory, or his sixth and final dominant Monaco victory in 1993 the circuit the triple world champion left his mark at every corner.

The Monaco Circuit
    monaco.png

Monaco is unique in every way. Even though numerous street circuits have come onto the calendar in recent years Monaco has retained its position as the jewel in the crown of Formula 1. One element that sets Monaco apart is its timetable with practice taking place on Thursday before a rest day on Friday for promotional activities.

The track evolves heavily throughout the weekend with the goal posts constantly moving with more and more grip being put down onto the circuit. With the track getting faster and faster it is crucial for a driver to adapt to the circumstances lap on lap and make tiny adjusts on every corner to what they had done up that point.

Reigning world champion, Sebastian Vettel, has yet to win on the streets of Monte Carlo but he is relishing the challenge that this weekend will place before the field.

"It's remarkable to drive an F1 car around Monaco,” said the German. “It's a completely unique track and a unique challenge for the driver. You have to push as hard as on a normal race track, but the smallest mistake can bring a big penalty. Grid position is very important and can determine your race, as traditionally overtaking in Monaco is very tricky.”

The desire to push yourself further, to dig deeper is key to a fast lap in Monaco. But crucially, unlike at other circuits, overstepping the mark will lead to an inevitable crash and the lost track time will make it all but impossible to catch up to your rivals.

The tunnel is perhaps the most famous feature of the Grand Prix circuit with drivers diving into the darkness flat out through a right hand bend before braking heavily into the seafront chicane, perhaps the only legitimate overtaking position on the circuit.

Monaco resident Nico Rosberg says that: “The drive through the tunnel at 280 kph is always a real adventure. You are so close to the barriers that you can really feel how fast the cars actually are. This year, the race has the potential to be more exciting than ever. If KERS and the DRS do make overtaking possible, it will be great for the fans."

Setup is crucial at Monaco. Drivers want a car that allows them to “point” it at the apex of corners and get on the power as early as possible, just like at most circuits, but the challenge for engineers is that the road surface is so different to anything else on the calendar. With a high crown in the middle of the road surface and drains at the apex of corners a car needs to be able to glide over the bumps.

Sam Michael, Williams’ technical director has faced this challenge on numerous occasions.

“Monaco is a low grip street circuit,” said Michael as he commented on the challenges of setting up a car for this track. “Requiring the softest springs and highest ride heights that we operate over the whole season. Normally reducing understeer and improving traction are the keys to a good laptime.”

What to expect this weekend

Each race weekend of 2011 has sprung surprises as teams get to grips with the new regulations and the new Pirelli tyres and as a result the lottery that is the Monaco Grand Prix is almost impossible to predict.

Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel will once more start as firm favourites but the opposition can have reason for confidence this weekend with McLaren sure to be confident of their competitiveness. The Woking based team is the only in the pit lane that can boast having two previous winners of this race driving this weekend and Lewis Hamilton will surely be in his element on the tight and twisty confines of Monaco.

The Englishman, victor of a wet 2008 race, was inspired in Barcelona and that competitiveness will surely inspire him this weekend. Encouragingly for McLaren they can point to their strong performance in the final sector of the lap in Barcelona as a true indication of their potential this weekend. That section of the Spanish circuit is full of the type of stop start corners that make up the lap in Monaco.

"After such a strong showing in Spain, I'm really looking forward to Monaco this year because I think we'll see a different race from previous years,” said Hamilton. “I think a combination of DRS, KERS Hybrid and the tyres will really make the racing come alive, and I'd love to see some overtaking action and some hard racing this year.”

Whether or not there will be overtaking is debatable but this year’s race has all the elements to be a classic. The new regulations have made Formula 1 incredibly exciting and the battle at the front looks set to be just as dramatic this weekend as it was last.

Fernando Alonso’s unbelievable qualifying performance and opening third of the race in Spain was one of the biggest shocks of the season thus far. The Ferrari seemed hopeless for much of the Spanish weekend and it was only the team’s inability to make the harder tyre work in Spain that saw Alonso struggle in front of his home crowd.

This weekend however, he will not have to deal with the hard tyre as Pirelli will bring their two softest compounds to the Principality. This could be all Fernando needs to challenge at the front of the field. He is yet to win in Monaco and that is surely a statistic that the Spaniard will look to put right this weekend.

Mark Webber needs to assert himself this weekend. After taking pole position in Spain the Australian faded to fourth place at the flag and unless Webber can start winning races he has no chance of getting back into title contention.

It is clear that the new regulations do not suit him quite as much as the old but the Australian is a fast racer and once he unlocks the code to the new style of racing he could become a force to be reckoned with again. His domination last year in Monaco was absolute and it is crucial that he repeats such form.

Monaco is one of the few circuits where the driver can make the difference. Michael Schumacher knows this as well as anyone on the grid and the German showed signs of returning to form in Barcelona with a strong performance in the race. The seven times world champion will not challenge for the victory this weekend but another strong performance would surely show that he is making the progress expected of him in 2011.

Strategy has proved to be quite uniform in 2011 with the majority of the front runners all marking the cards of each other by finishing the races with similar strategies. This could all change in Monaco.
    The tyres look set to be as much of a handful as ever and a three stop strategy looks to be the fastest strategy in the race, but is it the best strategy?

Three stops are only best if a driver can get in clean air throughout the race and with the possibility of a safety car or traffic ruining an in or out lap it could be a risky strategy. Even so I expect the majority of the leading field to once again act in unison.

Jenson Button has tried contrary strategies in the last two races and has been rewarded in one and hindered in the other. This weekend the Englishman will use a two stop strategy and will try and get out ahead of his rivals after their second stops. Armed with fresher tyres the likes of Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso and Webber will be well placed to attack Button but the 2009 winner has shown that he can absorb a lot of pressure and maintain his cool. This race could echo 1992 when Senna kept Nigel Mansell at bay even though Mansell caught him by four seconds a lap!
    F1 2011 revolves on tyres

Pirelli will bring the super-soft tyre to a race for the first time in 2011 along with the soft compound that has been used throughout the year thus far.
    Paul Hembery the Italian manufacturer’s motorsport director is clearly looking forward to this weekend:

"Monaco is a fantastic race that makes no sense on the one hand as it's so different from everywhere else, but it's still the jewel in the crown of the calendar on the other. We're very excited to see our PZero Red super-soft tyres making their debut around the twisty streets this weekend, although this type of circuit will obviously be a completely new experience as we've only tested on permanent tracks.

"The super-soft rubber is designed to provide outstanding performance over a short period of time but this comes at the price of durability, so all the teams will have to consider their strategies carefully. Getting it right will make the difference between winning and losing. For longer runs, the PZero Yellow has already proven itself to be a reliable and popular product so far this year, contributing to extremely close racing while providing the drivers with all the confidence they need to push to the maximum. We said from the start that we wanted to give racing back to the racers, and we're hoping very much that Monaco will be a classic example of this."

Lewis Hamilton shares Hembery’s excitement ahead of this race:

“I think the tyres will probably give us the greatest scope for excitement and the best chance of passing,” said the Englishman. “While I don't think the Super-Soft and Soft compounds will be as critical around Monaco as they were at a place like Turkey, I still think the drop-off we encounter as the tyres go off should create opportunities for overtaking. And I don't think the marbles will be as bad as people fear, because they tend to occur at the exits of high-speed corners, and Monaco is generally quite a low-speed track”

This evolution of the circuit will make qualifying exceptionally challenging for the teams. Whereas in recent races everyone has done their best to keep a spare set of fresh option tyres available for the race the constant quickening of the track and the difficulty in overtaking will make it impossible to take chances in qualifying.

The super-soft tyre should be worth something in the region of 0.6s per lap in qualifying and as a result it should be impossible to qualify on the harder prime tyre and still look to set a competitive time. The option tyre will not be a durable tyre, especially on full tanks at the start of the race, and as a result the drivers who fail to the top ten shootout should be well placed to move through the field at the opening round of pit stops.

Weather for the Monaco Grand Prix

The four day forecast for Monaco is for sunshine on Thursday but with clouds rolling in from Friday onwards. Rain is forecast for Saturday but whether it falls during qualifying will be a lottery. Race day should be warm and sunny however with temperatures expected in the low 20s.

Facts and figures:
    Total pitstop time: 24s
    Average margin of victory: 19.5s
    Average starting position of winner: 2nd
    Winners from pole position: 24
    Races where the winner led every lap: 18

BBC Schedule
    Thursday 26 May
    First practice: 0855-1035 BBC Red Button
    Second practice: 1255-1435 BBC Red Button
    Saturday 28 May
    Third practice: 0955-1105 BBC Red Button
    Qualifying: 1210-1430 BBC One
    Sunday 29 May
    Grand Prix live: 1205-1520 BBC One
    F1 forum: 1520-1620 BBC Red Button
    Highlights: 1900-2000 BBC Three

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Track position is almost all the matters. Ish. 3 seconds a lap is a lot but it still won't allow overtaking. It will be interesting to see who tries to go further on the tyres. Looking at last year it should be a 5-stopper, but I think it'll come down to who can pit latest and get track position. Using up a set of tyres in Quali may save a pitstop and a half in the race so it's going to be damn interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

where's DRS going to go, tunnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

michael schu to win. the rest are cab drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

where's DRS going to go, tunnel?

DRS is on the start finish straight with the drivers unable to use DRS in the tunnel at any stage during the weekend due to safety concerns

frostie500 wrote: »
    DRS is on the start finish straight

makes for an interesting last corner, having to be close enough to get any use out of it, potential for contact as is so slow and tight through there

with the drivers unable to use DRS in the tunnel at any stage during the weekend due to safety concerns
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I cant see DRS being of any use in Monaco. Monaco is just too tight and the straight isnt really a straight. Its all about strategy, tyres, the start and quali.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I thought I heard them say DRS was not being allowed this week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Really looking forward to this race!

Sheeps wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this race!

Indeed.. I think this will be a very close race at the top

Anyone else fancy Rosberg to have a good run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

amacachi wrote: »

I hope so, I'd like to see him win a race this year.

no

I wish he would but to be honest every time he seems to be going well it always gets messed up. 5th at best

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

Whats the reason for practice being on a Thursday?

Love Monaco as a race. Hope Vettels domination can be broke and see JB start his championship proper. Unfortunately unless there are a few mistakes and offs i don't see there being much change up front.

Just always has been in Monaco as far as I know.

-gilly-09- wrote: »
    Whats the reason for practice being on a Thursday?

I think Friday is some form of Holy day or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

vectra wrote: »
    I think Friday is some form of Holy day or something.

I'm not sure if Friday is a Holy day or not but I do know that historically Monaco occurs on the Sunday closest to X amount of days from Easter. Friday was originally kept free because the organisers wanted to have an extra day of tourism and also to allow a marketing/PR day involving the teams and drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

I'm not sure if Friday is a Holy day or not but I do know that historically Monaco occurs on the Sunday closest to X amount of days from Easter. Friday was originally kept free because the organisers wanted to have an extra day of tourism and also to allow a marketing/PR day involving the teams and drivers

totally PR day indeed. well whole weekend is bling-bling hassle there anyway. Today Gumball rally should arrive for a couple days!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Big crash for Rosberg just now

Walks away from it, but red flag

Just lost back end breaking coming out of the tunnel

Glad I didn't get around to putting a bet on Rosberg yet. :pac:

He'll be fine to get into the race with his Practice times so far at least.

BBC mess up their streams for anyone else? Live timing suggests Liuzzi's brought out the red flag to end the session, dunno what happened though.

• Advertisement

Any one elses red button gone bonkers?? I cant get the FP3 on now..Had it a few mins ago :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭dor83

Yeah it's the same for me, it's been wrecking my head going through every number to try and find the F1.

Back on :D

not after today I don't :pac:

Back now, 2 minutes of green at the end, loads pouring out for a lap :D

Looking like 22 starters tomorrow so.

Back now, 2 minutes of green at the end, loads pouring out for a lap :D

remember the red flag in Q2 in china, and everyone desperate for a run at the very end to secure Q3. Brilliant it was, when half the teams (the top half anyway) are only all going out for 1 lap they should make quali 5 mins long. that's enough time for an out lap and 2 flyers.

everyone would be fighting over each other, it'd be great :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Finally no more talking of cricket :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I'm by no means a big F1 fan but i always watch Monaco, i think its great! Although the overtaking is limited, what i like is if someone is in a drastically faster car they get impatient and try and force overtakes its makes for great watching.

Also the track itself is class, being so close to the walls / barriers makes it great for me. there should be more tracks like this rather than these new tracks that have maybe even less overtaking but with 1,000,000 times the run off zones ect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

rosberg out on track anyway which is good, using the super soft

Advertisement