Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread MkII

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LinK3

MaggieMay2 wrote: »
    LinK3 wrote: »
    Maggie, I could have written this post yesterday and again a few weeks ago! Yesterday in my first week since Jan I had a STS, this is probably because I drank loads! I think it was 3 weeks ago I joined the gym, had been 5 times and to 2 exercise classes and only lost half a pound! I think the only explanation is that the fat turned to muscle, so while we lost fat, we gained muscle so our weight stayed the same! Have you measured yourself? I bet you've lost inches so while it's not showing on scales body shape is changing!!!
    Sorry guys but our stand in leader said this week that unless we are in training for the 2012 olympics, fat won't turn to muscle.. The average woman or man doesnt exercise with enough intensity for that to happen!!

I know our leader said the same but I do agree that sometimes when you don't see the pounds going down on the scales you can lose inches thats why they say to measure yourself aswell.[/Quote]

Yes I agree with that too, wouldnt it be great though if we could change it to muscle:)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SAexpat

Hi All, been so unmotivated these last two weeks that I can't even find my calculator! Not gone wild food wise just not writing it all down and guessing the portions. Have to get back on track but it is harder over the school hols when my daughter is at home and no real routine! I finally found some hovis nimble wholemeal bread, I know it has been talked about on the forum - does anybody please have the points value per slice?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dammitj

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭MaggieMay2

dammitj wrote: »

Ha ha that picture is disgusting, enough to make me wanna work out, seriously!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Kay_80

SAexpat wrote: »
    Hi All, been so unmotivated these last two weeks that I can't even find my calculator! Not gone wild food wise just not writing it all down and guessing the portions. Have to get back on track but it is harder over the school hols when my daughter is at home and no real routine! I finally found some hovis nimble wholemeal bread, I know it has been talked about on the forum - does anybody please have the points value per slice?

1 slice = 1 pp
    2 slices = 3 pp
    3 slices = 4 pp

Hope that helps SA expat welcome back to the fold :)

• Advertisement

MaggieMay2 wrote: »
    Ha ha that picture is disgusting, enough to make me wanna work out, seriously!!! :D

LOL! I hear ya! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

dammitj wrote: »

Thanks for that. The paragraph about cellulite has made me more positive because I have been thinking the last few weeks that my legs will never get rid of the cellulite and excess skin.

Had WI in yesterday and STS. I was slightly relieved and disappointed. It was the eddie rockets after a night out that ruined my otherwise good week :mad: Had a blow out after WI because work was has been really stressful the last few days. But back on track today and looking forward to the week ahead. Just need to find time to exercise :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

To show us all how far we've come! Each lb lost equals:

1 pound = a Guinea Pig
    2 pounds = a rack of baby back ribs
    3 pounds = an average human brain
    4 pounds = an ostrich egg
    5 pounds = a Chihuahua
    6 pounds = a human’s skin
    7.5 pounds = an average newborn
    8 pounds = a human head
    10 pounds= An average Gallon of paint
    11 pounds = an average housecat
    12 pounds = a Bald Eagle
    15 pounds = 10 dozen large eggs (or 120 eggs)
    16 pounds = a sperm whale’s brain
    20 pounds = a car tyre
    22 pounds = 200 golf balls
    24 pounds = a 3-gallon tub of super premium ice cream
    25 pounds = an average 2 year old
    26 pounds = average weight of a Koala Bear
    30 pounds = Average Vacuum Cleaner
    31 pounds = Average amount of manure produced by a horse each day
    33 pounds = a cinder block
    36 pounds = a mid-size microwave
    40 pounds = a 5-gallon bottle of water or an average human leg
    44 pounds = an elephant’s heart
    50 pounds = a small bale of hay
    55 pounds = a 5000 BTU air conditioner
    60 pounds = an elephant’s peni$ (yep, weights more than his heart!)
    65 pounds = Lotus Mk3 – Aluminium Body Shell
    68 pounds = 40” Sony Bravia Widescreen TV
    70 pounds = an Irish Setter
    77 pounds = a gold brick
    80 pounds = the World’s Largest Ball of Tape
    90 pounds = a newborn calf
    100 pounds = a 2 month old horse
    110 pounds = Mature Rough Fell Ewe
    117 pounds = an average fashion model (and she’s 5’11”)
    118 pounds = the complete Encyclopaedia Britannica
    120 pounds = amount of trash you throw away in a month
    130 pounds = a newborn giraffe
    140 pounds = Ricky Hatton (Boxer / May 2009)
    144 pounds = an average adult woman (and she’s 5’4”)
    150 pounds = the complete Oxford English Dictionary
    187 pounds = an average adult man
    200 pounds = Vespa Moped
    235 pounds = Arnold Schwarzenegger
    300 pounds = an average football lineman
    400 pounds = a Welsh pony

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭hollyhock

newbee22 wrote: »

1 pound = a Guinea Pig
    5 pounds = a Chihuahua
    8 pounds = a human head
    12 pounds = a Bald Eagle
    20 pounds = a car tyre
    77 pounds = a gold brick
    200 pounds = Vespa Moped
    Ha,ha very good,where did you get ur stats????:)

It was on the ww uk site a few weeks ago!!Kept meaning to post it here for us!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 EnufisEnuf

Guys, what is STS?

Also, I know it is relative to the cake and the cream and all, but a slice of cream birthday cake, the likes from superquinn or a bakery... all cream no substance.. what would you reckon.
    I'm saying 10... but don't know. Someone else said 6.

AND, for work, I have a kitchen not a canteen, so need to bring in my own lunch ... so looking for ideas.. I dont' like sandwiches so much as there's little eating in them. They are gone before you know it! But salads are getting a tad boring.......... :rolleyes:

I've been going to WW now since 12th April and GAINED 1.5 pounds.

THIS WEEK I bought me a TRACKER book and I've commited to giving it twelve weeks.
    I'm 5'3 (squit) and 16.3 stone!!!!! and I'm 36.

This is it now...... I'm not bringing this weight with me into my 40's

So I appreciate all your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

1 pound = a Guinea Pig
    5 pounds = a Chihuahua
    8 pounds = a human head
    12 pounds = a Bald Eagle
    20 pounds = a car tyre
    77 pounds = a gold brick
    200 pounds = Vespa Moped

I've lost just over an average human leg, cant wait till I loose an elephants penis!!!

If I lost a Vespa Moped or a Welsh Pony for real I'd be quite dissapointed.....in terms of weight I could let it go :) I wonder who had the pleasure of weighing an elephants penis, em no thanks!!

EnufisEnuf wrote: »
    Guys, what is STS?

Also, I know it is relative to the cake and the cream and all, but a slice of cream birthday cake, the likes from superquinn or a bakery... all cream no substance.. what would you reckon.
    I'm saying 10... but don't know. Someone else said 6.

AND, for work, I have a kitchen not a canteen, so need to bring in my own lunch ... so looking for ideas.. I dont' like sandwiches so much as there's little eating in them. They are gone before you know it! But salads are getting a tad boring.......... :rolleyes:

I've been going to WW now since 12th April and GAINED 1.5 pounds.

THIS WEEK I bought me a TRACKER book and I've commited to giving it twelve weeks.
    I'm 5'3 (squit) and 16.3 stone!!!!! and I'm 36.

This is it now...... I'm not bringing this weight with me into my 40's

So I appreciate all your help!

A STS is a stay the same! For lunch I'm trying different things as much as possible and if you have a kitchen even better. Leftovers can be low in points and substantial so make extra the night before and reheat. I love having a microwave as well as sometimes I prefer a veg dish instead of salad or scrambled egg/beans on toast..... try reading a few receipes on here or the WW website for ideas? Defo requires being prepared tho.....

• Registered Users Posts: 30 EnufisEnuf

Wow that's such an achievement! Well done you! That's practically 5 stone, you must feel great :)

What a phneominal achievement - as you have done so well... any tips n trix....

What were you favorite, lunches, meals, time savers.
    Did you exercise a lot

etc

I technically have 7 stone to loose but I'd be tickled PINK with yellow spots and purple stripes if I lose 5 stone!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

Haha newbee I LOVE this!
    Well, I had WI tonight and I was down 4 pounds and got my second silver seven! Delighted, that's a stone and two pounds gone since June and I feel so much better for it. Definitely keeping this up, it can be hard at times but by jesus the rewards are fantastic.

Oh, and according to Newbee, I've lost a sperm whale's brain. WOOHOO! :)

I've lost a Sony Bravia Wide Screen telly and a guinea pig!!Roll on the gold brick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

WI tonight and 2 pounds down. I am thrilled! I have lost 200 golf balls and a guinea pig to date, i.e. 23 pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

First WI tonight and down 5 and a half pounds! delighted hope I can keep it up

Just realised I'm half a pound away from losing an irish setter!!!Come on half pound at next weigh in!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Tmeos

2lb gain this week, my first since starting 15 weeks ago. Totally deserved and I'm trying hard to turn it into a positive, have been very careful with my eating this week and upped the exercise. Will get it back off and more before long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Tmeos wrote: »
    2lb gain this week, my first since starting 15 weeks ago. Totally deserved and I'm trying hard to turn it into a positive, have been very careful with my eating this week and upped the exercise. Will get it back off and more before long :)

Excellent attitude! It's easy to say feck it I can't do it but it takes balls to get back up and dust yourself off and back in the game. Fair play:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jeans_vs_food

SAexpat 1pt / slice. enjoy!!
    ps i get it in lidl.

still here anyway!!! another disappointment, only down 0.5lbs....

i just dont understand! kept with my dailies & used some weeklies for vodka&diet 7up & hang sandwiches at a party sat night. kept up exercise, though went back to cycling & walking instead of mountain climbing and over 2ltrs water everyday!!! leader will look at my tracker next week (at my request) (i couldnt stay 2day) but i just dont feel im getting the support/advice/explanations at the meeting. i mean this is the 3rd week where ive been "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?"(genuinely) she keeps talking about something catching up on me.. unless its dust i cant explain!

aaanyway my friend thinks im overpointing & therefore short dailies by 6-8pts (like 6points less than ive calculated ie eating approx 23 instead of 29 everyday) but would this have an effect?

keeping positive though, im eating veg almost everyday compared to almost never, my fruit intake is now daily and steady as is water intake and im more active consistently than ive ever been in my life! + + +!!!! : )

ive also ordered the kitchen scales to help with my points and portions! any1 find these useful?

well done foxy06!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wexchick

wi in morn, fingers crossed! up .5lb last week so really need a good wi!!

Wow I've lost a mid-size microwave and a bit more! (perhaps there was a ready meal in it) Hurrah! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Hi everyone, with a particular welcome to all the new people here :)

I'm aboslutely delighted that everyone is doing as well as they are and this thread consistenly stays on the front page of the forum which proves what an important motivational tool it's become for folk, and for that, many kudos.

BUT (there's always a but when someone with a bolded name get's involved :p) a couple of things are jumping out at me.

The last few pages have been little more than a series of "I lost x lbs!!" Now guys, that's fantastic, it really is, but how are you doing it? How are you losing the weight? Are you eating healthily or are you focussing on points and nothing more. I know I'm being a pain in the backside when I say this but this is the Nutrition and Diet forum, I have a responsibility to make sure this stays on the Nutritional side of things and doesn't descend into faddy eating, because if it does, it has to go.

It's not that long ago that we had the huge eruption about WW in the long term and how so few people keep the weight off. Well, if faddy eating is getting those lbs off then that's what will happen.

This thread is meant to be a Nutritional Motivator first, WW tracker second. Asking for points allowances on bags of fizzy cola bottles and treats?? Really?? Sorry folks but that's not what we're about.

I absolutely don't mean to single anyone out but Lainy my heart goes out to you right now - seeing weight gain from new contraceptives in utterly soul destroying, and a real catch 22. I can totally understand why you seem to have backed away from the thred a bit but lady, it's not the same without your recipes and your involvement :)

So can we please have less point loss posts and more recipes/ nutritional dicussion posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Anyone make their own oats health bars.

Looking for recipes or advice rather than buying expensive sugar ones in shops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

G'em you post inspired me to write about my experience thus far. I joined WW June 2010. I was 13syone 4lbs and by September I had lost 1stone and 2lbs. I did this my increasing my excercise and reducing my portions. I don't believe in depriving myself because thats not sustainable and if its not sustainable its not for me. I am not looking for a diet I am looking for a healtier way of living. I stopped attending in September as I started back in college 4 nights a week as well as full time work but the new habits I learned in the few months served me very well as when I rejoined this June I had only put back on 2lbs. I am down another 3.5lbs nows but more importantly for me I now eat fruit everyday and i have noticed I start to crave it. For me WW is about learning new habits and learning to make informed choices around food. I also noticed that over the years it wasn't until I became happy with myself and my body and learned to love me for who I am and what shape I am that I started shedding weight. For me this is a marathon not a sprint. Yes there I times when I would prefer to shed more but at the end of the day I can shed it next week, its keeping it off that is more important. I have a good bit to go before I reach my ideal weight according to the BMI but I am happy in myself and I enjoy shopping for clothes again. Some things I found that have helped me get to this point are:

1. Reducing portion sizes to a healthy amount.
    2. Taking up jogging, I am doing the couch to5k programme
    3. Not depriving myself but instead thinking about my food. Am I really hungry? Do i need a cinnamon whirl or would a banana do. Most times a banana will do but sometimes I say no actually i really do want a cinnamon whirl and I have it and point it. Sometimes it is worth it.
    4. Eating fruit, especially in summer when there are peaches, plums, pears which I love.
    5. Walking places instead of driving if its less than a 30 min walk - its better for my body, my purse and the environment. I have an umbrella and a rain jacket so our weather is not a reason to stop me.
    6. This was a toughy but training myself to feel my emotions rather than forcing them down with food. This was something i did, I used to eat very mindlessly when I was lonely, Sat nights I sat in alone and stuffed food into me because I couldn't just sit there and feel it. Through counselling and self discovery I learned to feel the loneliness and not be afraid of it. I eat less now. Though I still eat emotionally sometimes.

At the end of the day there is no secret to weight loss, its basic economics, if you take in more than you spend then you have a surplus, simple. So either take in less or spend more.

Anyway thats my experience so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement