Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread MkII

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 givee

sorry dunno what happened there it put two into one!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kareno.carlow

Was up 2.5 pounds at weigh in this morning, to be expected as id been in Italy for a week. My usual leader was away and there was a stand in. Now ill hold my hands up and admit that i did not stick to my points while i was away, i relaxed and allowed myself more wine, and ordered dishes i wouldnt normally eat here. That said i certainly didnt go crazy and pig out, and i was very active. I made the decision myself before going to relax the plan for the week. At weigh in, the leader said youve put on 2.5 pounds....silence. I said, oh i was on hols i expected it, she just looked at me. She didnt say a word to me at the scales, not even hello. She went on to talk about holidays during the meeting. She asked me if id share with the group how much i put on, and then spent 10 minutes saying how this can be avoided by walking and making the right food choices. Also asked if anyone had managed to lose weight on hols. I was mortified. Im about 5 pounds away from goal at moment, but i feel like ive been slapped in the face! Maybe im just being emotional so sorry for ranting :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 savy2011

they say sugar free diluting is free in the book somewhere

which one is it then as most say on the package no added sugar is that the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭MaggieMay2

Kareno don't feel bad about ranting I would be raging. Thats not support!! Thats making someone who already feels not great about gaining (although 2.5 is not bad at all for after your hols) feel even worse. If I was in that meeting I would have wanted to scream out that I did all those things I just relaxed a little because I WAS ON HOLIDAY!!!!!! Don't worry sure you'll have that gone in a week or two as long as you enjoyed your hols thats all that mattered....

savy2011 wrote: »
    they say sugar free diluting is free in the book somewhere

which one is it then as most say on the package no added sugar is that the same?

I always take no added sugar as sugar free. Sure double check the nutritional info on the bottle.... It's too low to be pointed with most brands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

Was up 2.5 pounds at weigh in this morning, to be expected as id been in Italy for a week. My usual leader was away and there was a stand in. Now ill hold my hands up and admit that i did not stick to my points while i was away, i relaxed and allowed myself more wine, and ordered dishes i wouldnt normally eat here. That said i certainly didnt go crazy and pig out, and i was very active. I made the decision myself before going to relax the plan for the week. At weigh in, the leader said youve put on 2.5 pounds....silence. I said, oh i was on hols i expected it, she just looked at me. She didnt say a word to me at the scales, not even hello. She went on to talk about holidays during the meeting. She asked me if id share with the group how much i put on, and then spent 10 minutes saying how this can be avoided by walking and making the right food choices. Also asked if anyone had managed to lose weight on hols. I was mortified. Im about 5 pounds away from goal at moment, but i feel like ive been slapped in the face! Maybe im just being emotional so sorry for ranting :rolleyes:

Don't feel bad about it. 2.5 lbs is a very small amount (I put on 3lbs on a weekend away in June!). Forget about her & focus on having it off again soon. Hope you had a great time in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

I was nearly not going to go to my meeting this week as I had been really hungry for 3 days over the weekend and for the first time ever had eaten all my 49 weeklies. But my husband reminded me that this is the time to go & not to skip it. I was 4.5 lbs over my goal weight, so didn't want to go & find out that I had put on more than 0.5lbs as this would mean I would have to start paying for the classes again.

So I went & was relieved to hear that I had stayed the same. I'm going to try extra hard this week & I have nothing to go to that will involve eating out, so shouldn't be too hard. I have my Dad's 70th birthday party Saturday week & I want to look fantastic - especially for all the photos that will be taken on the night!

On the topic of going out in the rain - I am a fair weather walker. I don't get any pleasure in getting wet, so I will just wait for it to dry up before going out.

Good luck everyone else with your WIs this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Kareno.Carlow - I'd gladly give up 2 and 1/2 pounds for a week in Italy, having been there a couple of times I know how good the food is and 2 1/2 pounds was great for a week there, I went away for a couple of nights only lately and was up pound and a half, imagine the damage I could do with a week :rolleyes::D;)

I think your stand in leader needs a stand back and look at her leadership qualities if this is the way she "supports" people. Just because these people are WW leaders and have achieved their goal weight does not make them infallible, will you look at Eircom sucks and the experience he has had.

There was a stand in leader one day at my meeting and one lady was on about how she can't eat her 29 propoints daily and would only use about 20, the SI leader told her that it was OK seeing as it was working for her, I was raging, I'm damn sure WW didn't put years of research into this new program for one of their leaders to say otherwise and to actually be advising people not to eat their allotted propoints.

You have done fantastically so far being so close to goal and though you may not have actively pointed or tracked whilst on holiday I feel there's always an "awareness" at the back of our minds of what we are actually eating/drinking and due to that we are more careful than we would've been pre WW.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 hotfire

Really nervous about WI later this evening.... Went over my ppts a few times during the week. Stayed the same last week so would love to be down 1 or 2 lbs.... shouldnt have had the fish n chip on Saturday, regretting it now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭donnamc5

STS this week. Not disappointed really as I did have a lot to drink at the weekend and I didn't do as much exercise as I ought to have. I've got a long weekend away this week so I wont be too hopeful for next weeks weigh in and then I just have to knuckle down over August. I've no big parties or special occasions so I should be able to just knuckle down and get back to basics. Onwards and Downwards :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ld2011

kareno don't feel bad, it took me 10 months to lose 10lb in ww - went to thailand for 2 weeks and put on 8lb!!!!!!!!!!!!! you did very well for your hols, a holiday is exactly that - a HOLIDAY you need a break every now and then don't regret one calorie!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LinK3

I weighed in this morning... Didn't feel like it because I ate constantly on Saturday.. I seemed to be grazing all day:( I had no alcohol though...all weekend!! Then I got an iffy stomach yesterday, threw up a couple of times.. But with kids I suspect it was just a 24 hr thing... Anyway went to Wi and was 1.5 down, so I've 1.5 left to stone and 2.5 left to target.. I should've been woo hooing but still feel a bit ill.. I hope that's not the only reason I lost weight this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 NimmyZ

MaggieMay2 wrote: »
    I always take no added sugar as sugar free. Sure double check the nutritional info on the bottle.... It's too low to be pointed with most brands

Sugar free means there is no sugar at all, be it natural or artificial. Robinson's do sugar free dilute drinks
    No added sugar means that while there is no artificial sugar added there is natural sugar like in fruit juices and in some dilute drinks.
    Any time I see no 'added' sugar I point it like a fruit juice - 2 points for a big glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Hey guys. I lost 3.5lbs at my weigh in!!! Delighted! Because I have now lost 4 stone 13.5lbs!!!! SHOCKED!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Ah thanks very much for all your comments you're all right, I enjoyed every bit of those 2.5 pounds! Just felt a bit like a bold child this morning.. My usual leader is fantastic, really encouraging and funny and realistic! I guess the other leaders manner is just so different to what I'm used to. Anyway I'm going to forget about it now! this thread is great I enjoy reading it every day :)

newbee22 wrote: »
    Hey guys. I lost 3.5lbs at my weigh in!!! Delighted! Because I have now lost 4 stone 13.5lbs!!!! SHOCKED!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Wow that's such an achievement! Well done you! That's practically 5 stone, you must feel great :)

NimmyZ wrote: »
    Sugar free means there is no sugar at all, be it natural or artificial. Robinson's do sugar free dilute drinks
    No added sugar means that while there is no artificial sugar added there is natural sugar like in fruit juices and in some dilute drinks.
    Any time I see no 'added' sugar I point it like a fruit juice - 2 points for a big glass.

Oh ok sorry about that NimmyZ. I was going by the one I use. That's why I said to check the nutritional info. I use the Tesco Orange and Lemon Squash Concentrate and I pointed 100ml and it came out 0pp. I guess you'd only use about 30-50ml before diluting?? But like that so many brands are different, couldn't live without my calculator.....

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Raspberries

I've completely fallen off the wagon, had a crazy week getting things done for the new house and then went out with work people. Ever since I've been stuffing my face. The funny thing is I can feel my body giving out that I'm not eating nice healthy things, so back to WW tomorrow. I hope I haven't put on too much, fingers crossed. Feel a bit stupid for loosing control to such a degree but I suppose everyone has a bad week every now and again...don't they?!!

We all have our off weeks! The best thing you can do is go to your weigh in, otherwise a bad week turns into 2 bad weeks! I'm sure you haven't done as bad as you think:)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Raspberries

We all have our off weeks! The best thing you can do is go to your weigh in, otherwise a bad week turns into 2 bad weeks! I'm sure you haven't done as bad as you think:)

Thanks for that newbee22, good to hear. I'll definitely be going to the WI tomorrow, I have to before I head down the west for 3 weeks for the Gaeltacht!

I'm hoping to keep WW up while I'm down there and not let all my good work go to waste. We'll be doing lots of activities but I'm sure we'll find time for a pint or two ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that newbee22, good to hear. I'll definitely be going to the WI tomorrow, I have to before I head down the west for 3 weeks for the Gaeltacht!

I'm hoping to keep WW up while I'm down there and not let all my good work go to waste. We'll be doing lots of activities but I'm sure we'll find time for a pint or two ;)

Jealous! From past experience of the gaeltacht you'll be doing loads of walking!! Are you going as part of college?!I had to go when I was in 1st year college and it was the best 3 weeks of my life! Ye'll burn off the alcohol at the ceilis!!

Fantastic! You must be over the moon. Well done you

MaggieMay2 wrote: »
    Oh ok sorry about that NimmyZ. I was going by the one I use. That's why I said to check the nutritional info. I use the Tesco Orange and Lemon Squash Concentrate and I pointed 100ml and it came out 0pp. I guess you'd only use about 30-50ml before diluting?? But like that so many brands are different, couldn't live without my calculator.....

Me too - I have a points app on my phone and I whip it out everywhere! Maybe I'm wrong about the sugar thing but I err on the side of caution (most times, not always!) and add at least a point for those drinks. But if it works out on the nutritional info as zero, well I can't argue with that!

Me too - I have a points app on my phone and I whip it out everywhere! Maybe I'm wrong about the sugar thing but I err on the side of caution (most times, not always!) and add at least a point for those drinks. But if it works out on the nutritional info as zero, well I can't argue with that!

Yea I saw someone else doing it in Dunnes at lunch the other day and it made me smile to myself, that I wasn't the only one own doing it...... Its a Godsend! In fairness I've learned that all brands are sooo different and check everything....

Ok I have a question. A few months back I used to have a large smoothie a day and point it as zero. I figured because fruit was free and I was using a dollop of fat free yogurt then the whole thing was free.

Then my world came crashing down when I was told one day at my class that fruit JUICE is not free, just the fruit itself

It took a while for my slow brain to process this. I mean if an orange was zero but the juice from that same orange was 1 PP....wait... what? :eek:

Then the whole thing fell into place. The energy spent by your body breaking down and processing the whole orange is equal to the point value of the fruit so it cancels out the point. If I just drank the juice, my body would not be working as hard to process and break it down - hence it would cost 1 PP (or 2 etc)

Since then I have stopped eating smoothies and considered them as evil tricks. I thought I had been doing fantastically by eating so much fruit but didn't realise that by blending all the fruit together in a machine I was stopping my body from working hard at processing the fruit.

So my question is - Am I right? How many points are in a smoothie? (I'm referring to Morton's smoothies - banana, strawberries, oranges, fat free yoghurt, a bit of fresh squeezed orange juice)

I do miss them but am wary of having them because I just don't know how to point them. I asked my leader and she wasn't sure - she put it to the rest of the class but most weren't sure either.

Any advice would be great because I usually have a zero point salad , 3 pieces of fruit and water for my lunch and would love to add a smoothie in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Ok I have a question. A few months back I used to have a large smoothie a day and point it as zero. I figured because fruit was free and I was using a dollop of fat free yogurt then the whole thing was free.

Then my world came crashing down when I was told one day at my class that fruit JUICE is not free, just the fruit itself

It took a while for my slow brain to process this. I mean if an orange was zero but the juice from that same orange was 1 PP....wait... what? :eek:

Then the whole thing fell into place. The energy spent by your body breaking down and processing the whole orange is equal to the point value of the fruit so it cancels out the point. If I just drank the juice, my body would not be working as hard to process and break it down - hence it would cost 1 PP (or 2 etc)

Since then I have stopped eating smoothies and considered them as evil tricks. I thought I had been doing fantastically by eating so much fruit but didn't realise that by blending all the fruit together in a machine I was stopping my body from working hard at processing the fruit.

So my question is - Am I right? How many points are in a smoothie? (I'm referring to Morton's smoothies - banana, strawberries, oranges, fat free yoghurt, a bit of fresh squeezed orange juice)

I do miss them but am wary of having them because I just don't know how to point them. I asked my leader and she wasn't sure - she put it to the rest of the class but most weren't sure either.

Any advice would be great because I usually have a zero point salad , 3 pieces of fruit and water for my lunch and would love to add a smoothie in there too.

You have to point smoothies bought in shops as there could be extra things added in like sugary orange juice or something else.

If you make a smoothie at home with just fruit, it is 0PP. If you add yoghurt, you have to point that accordingly.

I make smoothies with a handful of frozen raspberries, a banana, a dash of no added sugar summer fruits dilute and a dash of water and that is all 0PP. Gorgeous smoothie and the consistency and taste of the Innocent smoothies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Kareno I would have been livid may be I'm wrong but she had no right to single you out Like a bold child and 2.5 after being on holiday is not bad at all, I rem my sister being up 9 pounds in a week and I was up 5 it didn't last long had it gone in no time I would complain about your leader

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

I've not had a great week by my own standards foodwise and there for was thinking I'd be up but sneakily wishing for STS....

Had my little rendeez-vous with the scales this morning which to my surprise read 14st3.75 ...... that is a loss of 2.25LBS!!!!!!!:eek:

It brings me within .75LBS of 3stone lost, within 2LBS of going below 90kg, +3.75LBS away from having the scales returning a number starting with 13st!!!

But most of all ......... I now weight 199.75LBS, I'm below 200LBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:cool::D:cool::D:cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    I've not had a great week by my own standards foodwise and there for was thinking I'd be up but sneakily wishing for STS....

Had my little rendeez-vous with the scales this morning which to my surprise read 14st3.75 ...... that is a loss of 2.25LBS!!!!!!!:eek:

It brings me within .75LBS of 3stone lost, within 2LBS of going below 90kg, +3.75LBS away from having the scales returning a number starting with 13st!!!

But most of all ......... I now weight 199.75LBS, I'm below 200LBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:cool::D:cool::D:cool::D

Well done GT. Smashed through that mini goal and a few coming up too, that's great :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Perrin2040

Hi, sorry if not allowed to ask this, if so please tell me and I will edit/remove this post.

Just wondering if there was anyway of calculating how many propoint your allowed? My GF goes to the WW meetings and has been doing it for a while, but tbh I need to lose a bit (ahem understatement) myself.

I'm 5ft10 (1790 mm) and weight 14 1/2 stone (93kg) :(

I'm 27 and unfortunately at the moment my lifestyle is very sedate (very low activity).

I am currently finishing up a phd which is sucking up all my time, and even though I plan to start exercising after I finish, I really want to try and do something about it now so at least it doesnt get worse, and unfortunately I cant afford WW at the moment, so just wondering is there a way to work out points allowance for yourself?

As I said if not allowed ask this then I apologise.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement