Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG Optimus 7 €265 sim free [Expansys] - *Now €199 @Amazon.de*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mr Woods wrote: »
    Thanks Bambi, very informative...I'm sold :)

For anyone who's interested, I found this app for SIP functionality :

http://wp7.apphab.com/cheap-call-by-progile/

Bear in mind thats all based on two days of use...honeymoon period review :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

Just wondering, what do I need to do to go online while not using wifi. No problem connecting to wifi at home or in work, but not managing to connect otherwise.

Also, is it possile to change profiles.........such as silent mode or the like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Does WP7 have a handy app where as you can check what your 3G data usage has been so far, so if you have a limit for a month say? I know android has a great app that is very useful in that term, it also lets you know when your near over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Jomcc wrote: »
    Just wondering, what do I need to do to go online while not using wifi. No problem connecting to wifi at home or in work, but not managing to connect otherwise.

Also, is it possile to change profiles.........such as silent mode or the like?

Go into settings and mobile network and enable data if you want to go on net without wifi using your mobile data.

If you cant connect to data look at LG's marketplace there should be i think an app to configure the APN settings automatically for your provider.

Only profiles are General, Silent + Vibrate (you can turn of the vibrate) Just press the volume button either way once and in the right top corner there will be a bell or vibrate icon. You can toggle profiles that way :)

Go into settings and mobile network and enable data if you want to go on net without wifi using your mobile data.

If you cant connect to data look at LG's marketplace there should be i think an app to configure the APN settings automatically for your provider.

Only profiles are General, Silent + Vibrate (you can turn of the vibrate) Just press the volume button either way once and in the right top corner there will be a bell or vibrate icon. You can toggle profiles that way :)

Thanks for that.......had been looking in mobile network in settings an had it enabled but noticed that the APN settings were blank. Will have to try the marketplace, but at first glance am not finding anything.

Would like more profiles, because I found one on my own phone where I could set only certain groups of contacts to be able to ring at night time.

• Advertisement

Well even if the settings are set it will be empty. They will only fill up if you add them manually. What network are you on?

vodafone

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

For Vodafone just stick in live.vodafone.com and it will work

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    For Vodafone just stick in live.vodafone.com and it will work

Working a treat.......thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I buckled last night. SE W705 is starting to fail (buttons not working, nearly every call dropped), so it's somewhat excusable, I suppose.

Delivery info: Status from Fri, 27.05.11 13:35 hours - The instruction data for this shipment have been provided by the sender to DHL electronically

What exactly is supposed to happen now? Is the delivery going to progress over the weekend, or stagnate until Monday? I have little experience of DHL, and even less of deliveries from Germany.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

What is the difference in these: http://www.amazon.de/LG-Smartphone-Touchscreen-interner-Speicher/dp/B0044BCTU0

and

http://www.amazon.de/LG-Optimus-Smartphone-Vodafone-Branding/dp/B0049I4EFG/ref=lh_ni_t

Why is there nearly €20 in the difference? Are they both unlocked and come new with box and accessories?

Has anyone bought the cheaper one and received it? If so is there any problems with it? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭gip

Following this thread for last two weeks and eventually gave in. Ordered mine last night and am waiting in anticipation for arrival of postman Pat.Have been checking reviews and anything else related to this Smartphone since thread was originally posted. Great find OP,can't wait.:D

I buckled last night. SE W705 is starting to fail (buttons not working, nearly every call dropped), so it's somewhat excusable, I suppose.

Delivery info: Status from Fri, 27.05.11 13:35 hours - The instruction data for this shipment have been provided by the sender to DHL electronically

What exactly is supposed to happen now? Is the delivery going to progress over the weekend, or stagnate until Monday? I have little experience of DHL, and even less of deliveries from Germany.

As far from my experience your order will start being proceeded first thing monday morning. Obviously get in to the que ;)

But its usually the same day dispatch if its not that busy. Its not snowing so wont take that long for it to get here eithe :) Generally 1 week

Deliveries when ordering from Amazon and especially courier services are quick. Couriers can do it in over a couple of days. Post office a week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Apologies if I missed it, did anyone have the error "can not be shipped to the selected address"?

I've tried two different addresses and I keep getting this message.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

-Chris- wrote: »
    Apologies if I missed it, did anyone have the error "can not be shipped to the selected address"?

I've tried two different addresses and I keep getting this message.

Use the other sellers on the right hand side. Price-guard €185.90 + €6.90 P&P (shipping is actually €17.90 so will be total = €203.80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Davy wrote: »
    Use the other sellers on the right hand side. Price-guard €185.90 + €6.90 P&P (shipping is actually €17.90 so will be total = €203.80

That worked like an absolute charm, damn you and your helpfulness.

And two fingers to the rest of you, making me buy a new phone that I don't need. Do you know how much trouble I'm going to be in with my wife?? No, I didn't think so. You didn't think about that when you were positively reviewing your new toys...

Now for the hard bit - waiting for my new gadget! C'mon postal system. C'mon, c'mon, c'mon!!!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

As far from my experience your order will start being proceeded first thing monday morning. Obviously get in to the que ;)

It seems the Germans have gone out of their way to prove you wrong.
    Just rechecked, and apparently, my package ended up in Cologne overnight. Currently, "The shipment is being transported to the destination country" (Sat, 28.05.11 05:29 h Köln, DE).
    That's at least 500km (From Regensburg) in a manner of hours. If it can keep that pace until it gets to my door, I'll be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

What do you guys think of the camera? I have not had any chance to try it out yet. Is the camera as good as the one on the iphone 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Trevor451 wrote: »
    What do you guys think of the camera? I have not had any chance to try it out yet. Is the camera as good as the one on the iphone 4?

Good in daylight, brutal any other time.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The camera wouldn't be one of this phones strong points imo. But i was out last night and snapped a few pics and i think it's acceptable. It's no DSLR, but it does the job. It's actually one of the quickest cameras on a phone i've come across. Any other phone i've used, it seems to take too long from pressing the camera button to the device actually taking a picture. But this is very fast.

I'm actually liking the OS. It's very slick and fast. There's a couple of things that annoy me. It's already been mentioned on thread, but not having any notification after the initial tone you get for a text/call is annoying.

And one annoying thing that i noticed is the way the OS handles the volume. If i'm listening to a song through my headphones, i'll most likely turn down the volume quite a bit, otherwise i'd have sore ears! But turning down the volume, means it turns the volume down for EVERYTHING. So when i stop listening to music, my ringtones are now set to a very low level. This seems like a crazy oversight be microsoft tbh. Any phone i have ever had could control it's audio better than this.*

*If i have missed some option to change this please let me know!

Trevor451 wrote: »

Its device specific. Camera on HD7, Dell Venue wasnt great.

LG optimus sort of follows http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/22/lg-optimus-7-review/ you can find camera samples if you scroll down below

Today blogs reported WP7 marketplace hitting 20k apps.

You can look at top apps here ;)http://www.bing.com/browse?g=wp7&qpvt=WP7+Apps&FORM=Z7FD1#toc=0 or download zune and go into the marketplace there and see whats out there ;)

Browsing is perfect. The biggest downside is that if you go into landscape there will be no address bar. That will be fixed up in the next update. But there are plenty alternative browsers :)

Try surfcube browser :) I guarantee you will love it :) In my opinion the most innovative and best browser to date on any platform in terms of speed,ui and easy of use :)

The new version has the tabs :) also you can get the lite version with adds on the bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

For those who already received theirs, was it delivered by DHL courier or by An Post?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Almost identical specs to the LG- with the very notable exception that it has a S-LCD capacitive touchscreen versus the TFT capacitive touchscreen on the LG, and the HTC has hardware Dolby mobile, versus a software iteration in the LG- so it should sound a lot better (via the stereo phone jack- it has a similar 2 watt speaker). From a operating system performance perspective- the HTC has extra memory (576 MB RAM, 512 MB ROM) over the LG (512 MB RAM, 512 MB ROM).

On the bad side- the HTC has only 8Gb of internal storage versus the 16Gb in the LG- and neither phone has a card-slot, so you're stuck with either the 8Gb or the 16Gb- which despite the superior specs of the HTC- may be a deciding factor?

Personally- I'd get the HTC- just for the screen- though the lack of a cardslot as an upgrade avenue, would have serious implications for me.......

I didn't realise that none of the Windows 7 phones have card-slots, is that a Microsoft mandated spec I wonder? They do seem to have different processors, and different chipsets though...... Hmmmm......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

smccarrick wrote: »
    Almost identical specs to the LG- with the very notable exception that it has a S-LCD capacitive touchscreen versus the TFT capacitive touchscreen on the LG, and the HTC has hardware Dolby mobile, versus a software iteration in the LG- so it should sound a lot better (via the stereo phone jack- it has a similar 2 watt speaker). From a operating system performance perspective- the HTC has extra memory (576 MB RAM, 512 MB ROM) over the LG (512 MB RAM, 512 MB ROM).

On the bad side- the HTC has only 8Gb of internal storage versus the 16Gb in the LG- and neither phone has a card-slot, so you're stuck with either the 8Gb or the 16Gb- which despite the superior specs of the HTC- may be a deciding factor?

Personally- I'd get the HTC- just for the screen- though the lack of a cardslot as an upgrade avenue, would have serious implications for me.......

I didn't realise that none of the Windows 7 phones have card-slots, is that a Microsoft mandated spec I wonder? They do seem to have different processors, and different chipsets though...... Hmmmm......

This short vid comparing Samsung Omnia 7 vs HTC 7 Trophy vs LG Optimus 7 might be of interest, it's always better to compare in real life, but from the vid I would prefer the LG's screen to the HTC.

For whatever reason the LG is also significantly quicker than the HTC when loading NFS Undercover.

What with the extra storage and the bigger battery and slightly cheaper price I think I would plump for the LG.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Thats because LG and Samsung use internal NAND storage. Where HTC just uses MicroSD inside.

The internal memory requirement was made by microsoft in order to keep performance approx the same on all devices. Obviously HTC just went the usual way they do and just add a crappy MicroSD

Reason why its internal because the user wouldnt be able to touch them or swap them.

The MicroSD cards in WP7 have to be approved by Microsoft to fit requirement for random access rate (not the speed of the card class)

Hence why users arent allowed to swap them as certain cards wouldnt be up to scratch with the requirements and would reduce the performance of the handset. Something that has been happening constantly with Nokia and Android handsets where other memory cards were used and it takes alot longer to load music or apps.
    A microSD card inserted into a Windows Phone 7 device and integrated into the device's file system is intended to be a permanent modification to the device. Once a microSD card has been integrated into a Windows Phone 7 device's file system, it will no longer be readable or writable on any other devices such as computers, cameras, printers, and so on. This includes an inability to format the microSD card for use in these devices

Personally i think MicroSD cards shouldnt be allowed on WP7 as they reduce performance and battery life of the handsets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement