Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG Optimus 7 €265 sim free [Expansys] - *Now €199 @Amazon.de*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

What is the difference in these: http://www.amazon.de/LG-Smartphone-Touchscreen-interner-Speicher/dp/B0044BCTU0

and

http://www.amazon.de/LG-Optimus-Smartphone-Vodafone-Branding/dp/B0049I4EFG/ref=lh_ni_t

Why is there nearly €20 in the difference? Are they both unlocked and come new with box and accessories?

Has anyone bought the cheaper one and received it? If so is there any problems with it? cheers
    I too would like to know the answer to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

What is the difference in these: http://www.amazon.de/LG-Smartphone-Touchscreen-interner-Speicher/dp/B0044BCTU0

and

http://www.amazon.de/LG-Optimus-Smartphone-Vodafone-Branding/dp/B0049I4EFG/ref=lh_ni_t

Why is there nearly €20 in the difference? Are they both unlocked and come new with box and accessories?

Has anyone bought the cheaper one and received it? If so is there any problems with it? cheers

I don't think there is any difference in the product being offered, if you look at the entire range of offers there are sellers with this phone priced all the way up to €500.

[edit] Sorry just realised there are two separate listings one saying Vodafone branded and one not.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I too would like to know the answer to this!

One is Vodafone branded, the other isn't?

That doesn't mean its locked to vodafone does it?

That doesn't mean its locked to vodafone does it?

At least 2 people have bought the Voda branded one from Price guard and report that it is not locked and the branding is minimal. See posts 97 & 99 & 163

Just bought it myself from Elektronik-Versand so will know in a week or so!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Does anyone know if this has an FM radio? And has anyone used it on Three Ireland yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

GarIT wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this has an FM radio? And has anyone used it on Three Ireland yet?

Yes the phone does have a FM radio.

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Yes the phone does have a FM radio.

Its the most simplest of things but that's me sold :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Just buckled myself, Bought the Vodafone branded one. Annoyed coz Im going to Berlin on Friday so can i Not just pick it up!!!!!

I was considering the HTC, but it only has half the memory of the LG so i stuck with the Optimus. It is a shame the camera isnt better on it but its fine for me. Couldnt care that it doesnt have the amoled display. Its fine once you dont compare it alongside other better screens.

Ive never used the Windows Phone 7, but this is my first delve into the Smartphone market so that wont bother me. It looks simple fast and easy to use from all the videos.

For the price it really is a good deal. All the Windows Phone 7s will be because Microsoft's specifications apparently demand it of the manufacturers. Im coming from a nokia that cost 39euro on prepay so This phone will probably be a challenge!!

When im ordering the phone off amazon.de, in the address it says Irland for Ireland... can you change that or did it get to your house in ireland even though it said Irland on the package?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Couldnt care that it doesnt have the amoled display. Its fine once you dont compare it alongside other better screens.

Well whatever you do dont put it side by side with a superamoled screen :D believe me you dont want to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

When im ordering the phone off amazon.de, in the address it says Irland for Ireland... can you change that or did it get to your house in ireland even though it said Irland on the package?

Ireland is Irland in german and yes it will get to you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yup mine said that too. And it arrived just fine!:pac:

I showed my LG to some friends just there, and they thought it was very slick indeed. The interface made sense straight away without having to explain anything. Now, these friends wouldn't be the most technically minded people in the world so I suppose that says a lot about the OS. I'm not saying it doesn't need work (because it definitely does!!) but, what's there already works very well indeed.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ive been using mine now for a few days. I have to say, its a very straight forward phone. Its not Android, and I miss alot of the features of it, buts its a decent phone. Best way for me to describe it: If you use your phone as a phone (calls/texts) as well as an internet phone (including emails) than this is for you. Browsing experience is fantastic, the slickness and speed of the menu system is fantastic. If you are a hardcore android phone, you may not like this phone. The reason being is that as it a relatively new OS, there is not a huge amount of customisation and custom versions. Shortcuts and handy quick steps, which are on the android, are not on this OS.

As somebody who has an iPhone 4, HTC Desire and Blackberry Bold, the LG can fight along beside them. A few small issues, as mentioned above, but the quickness and battery life will have you having an affair with WM7 versus the others!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

If ya jailbreak your phone ya can pin data WiFi airplane mode and etc to the first page to quick access them :) search around the web :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

If ya jailbreak your phone ya can pin data WiFi airplane mode and etc to the first page to quick access them :) search around the web :)

Just realised that you need to hack the phone to enable USB tethering :eek:

Does anyone know if this will be addressed in the next OS update?

Are there any other possibilities to provide internet access via the handset for my PC, such as via bluetooth or wifi that don't require hacking the handset?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

This post has been deleted.

Ordered mine on Sat 21st. Arrived on Thu 26th.

Miss a few features and taking a while to find a few more, but delighted with it overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭WebGeek

Right...im in impulse buy mode so i've just bought it!

Hahaha here's hoping it's good!

Cheers
    Impulse buys are always the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Right, ordered on Thursday, got it today. Being playing around with it for a while, two things are annoying me.
    1. Contacts - Everything has been imported from facebook and messenger, and it's near impossible to find a contact through the mess.
    2. Zune - I have never come across something as poorly designed as zune. If it came with the computer, I'd call it bloatware. It seems to want total control over my computer, and it's just not getting that.

I like it in general though. It seems a pretty decent phone, but I don't seem to be able to get the marketplace working too well. Whenever I try to download an app, I get the error "Can't get this information at the moment. Check again in a little while". Any solutions?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Im still not sure abut whether to get the LG or the HTC trophy.... im leaning towards the LG due to slightly faster performance, metal back, double storage, but the HTC has the slightly better screen, handy apps like Flashlight and HTC youtube, and the handy LED notification on the top of the phone...

hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

I ordered mine last Wed, its currently sitting at home waiting for me. Moving from a Nokia E63 so it should be a big change for me. Can anyone tell me what it is like to text with as I am so use to my qwerty keyboard on my Nokia.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Right, ordered on Thursday, got it today. Being playing around with it for a while, two things are annoying me.
    1. Contacts - Everything has been imported from facebook and messenger, and it's near impossible to find a contact through the mess.
    2. Zune - I have never come across something as poorly designed as zune. If it came with the computer, I'd call it bloatware. It seems to want total control over my computer, and it's just not getting that.

I like it in general though. It seems a pretty decent phone, but I don't seem to be able to get the marketplace working too well. Whenever I try to download an app, I get the error "Can't get this information at the moment. Check again in a little while". Any solutions?

I don't know what you mean about the Zune software, it seems grand enough to me.

As for the error your getting, connect your phone to the PC and get all the updates. Everything worked grand for me after that, i've downloaded a few apps without issue.

As for the contacts issue, i didn't have major trouble with mine, i did have to go through my contacts and correct a few things, i probably did this the long way but meh, it only took a bit of time and now it's all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Go into settings, scroll to the right to access the application settings, scroll down to people and select it. In the options for people, set the Facebook option to only add Facebook info to existing contacts. That should make a big difference.

You can also link MSN Live contacts to Facebook contacts to outlook contacts if duplicate contacts are appearing in your contacts list. To do this select the contact in your address book, select the link option at the bottom of the screen and link to one/all of the other dupicates.

I've no problems with Zune, it works well for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Linking contacts is a fantastic feature.

To navigate contacts, click the box with a letter in it and you can dive straight to the contacts beginning with a selected letter.

Also its worth finding a guide to handy features. There a few ones you would not figure out just by messing about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

K3v wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what it is like to text with as I am so use to my qwerty keyboard on my Nokia.
    This phone is a joy to type on, definitely one of the better phone keyboards I've used. The screen is very accurate, and the spell check is wonderful compared with the iPhone's. I'm also liking the conversation display. From A texting standpoint, this phone is very good. Definitely up with the best on the typing front, and I'm using the phone to post this.

Thanks to everyone for their tips, I've nearly fixed my contacts issue, just got to do something about my messenger contacts festering about :D

Has anyone gotten this exact phone from the same people from Elektronik-Versand with Vodafone branding? Is there any branding you cant remove? Its unlocked yeah? The price of the un branded one has gone up to €198 has gone up and i'd like to save the 30 quid! or am I better off spending the extra fiver and getting the Vodafone branaded one from pricegaurd?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Found this site:

http://www.es-mobilfunk.de/Mobilfunk/Handys_und_Smartphones/LG/E-Serie/LG_E900_Optimus_7_black_Vodafone_Branding_i159_577_0.htm

They're selling the vodafone "branded" version for €160 and the non-branded for €172.89.

If you pay with PayPal, it's going to end up costing you €179 including shipping with DHL.

If you select vorauskasse, which I think means payment in advance, you can get it for €175.50.

^^ Those prices are for the vodafone branded one (Which I'm going to order as soon as I sell my iPhone.)

Do-more wrote: »
    Just realised that you need to hack the phone to enable USB tethering :eek:

Does anyone know if this will be addressed in the next OS update?

Are there any other possibilities to provide internet access via the handset for my PC, such as via bluetooth or wifi that don't require hacking the handset?

Anyone got any info on this?
    GarIT wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten this exact phone from the same people from Elektronik-Versand with Vodafone branding? Is there any branding you cant remove? Its unlocked yeah? The price of the un branded one has gone up to €198 has gone up and i'd like to save the 30 quid! or am I better off spending the extra fiver and getting the Vodafone branaded one from pricegaurd?

I ordered from Elektronik-Versand yesterday and it was despatched this morning so I am hoping to have it before the weekend, but it's a public holiday here in Sweden on Thursday so it may not work out.

I'm hoping it will be the same spec as Alanstrainor got, if you look at his post about the Vodafone branding it doesn't seem to be a problem, perhaps Al can let us know which listing he bought his from?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Do-more wrote: »
    I'm hoping it will be the same spec as Alanstrainor got, if you look at his post about the Vodafone branding it doesn't seem to be a problem, perhaps Al can let us know which listing he bought his from?

This is the box mine came in. And mine was from Price-Guard.

The theme was the vodafone red theme, and there was a link to some vodafone related app. But I just uninstalled all of them and it's grand. There's no vodfaone symbols on my device, there's also no branding when you turn it on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement