Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

i'm honestly not trying to be mean to anyone but the minute i looked at it i said "liver", gall bladder never even entered my mind until i saw people here saying it :p yes it must be a massive gall bladder full of gall stones??! :o:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    gallbladder.gif

im gonna say a massive gall bladder

That diagram shows the bile duct connecting to the liver...??
    I'd say it's the liver.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭doctorg

I will refer back to my original answer for this

"Well both answers can be right as the bile duct splits into two, One goes to the liver and other to the gall bladder."
    Wayy back at post #368 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 obamaosama

Give the name and state a function of the part labelled A. in the rhizopus question....if u said mycelium and anchorage instead of rhizoid and anchorage would you lose all marks or half marks???

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TheNuttyBrowny

Ok so i know this could possibly sound like a stupid question but for the question "role of pancreas in digestion" could you have said its breaks down sugars??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭sarah.

****ed up my experiments, never learned the DNA one! Completely forget it like an eejit and kind of neglected the scientific method! FML.
    And the ducks? STUPID question, thought it was one of the hardest papers ever, purely because of the airy fairyness of some of the questions. That said it was OK. :\ Won't be getting an A1 though :( Oh well.

obamaosama wrote: »
    Give the name and state a function of the part labelled A. in the rhizopus question....if u said mycelium and anchorage instead of rhizoid and anchorage would you lose all marks or half marks???

you will get half marks for the anchorage in my opinion! usually those questions when you have to give two points and if one of them is right you will get your 3 out of 6 or whatever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jawn

SECTION A:

1)

(a) Fat / lipids
    (b) Phosphorus -> structure
    (c) Brick Red
    (d) Formation of the phospholipid bilayer
    (e) Detoxification
    (f) 20

2)

(a) Growth / Repair
    (b) Cancers / Mutations
    (c) Carcinogens, ie: smoking&radiation / Mutagens
    (d) Metaphase
    (e) Spindal fibres
    (f) Plant (cleavage furrow in animal cell)
    (g) Mitosis is multiplying by 2 (n -> 2n)
    Meiosis is dividing by 2 (2n -> n)

3)

(a) parasitism
    (b) producers
    (c) community
    (d) decomposers
    (e) symbiosis
    (f) competition
    (g) predation

4)

(a) (i) organism that produces its own heat
    (ii) ectotherm / cold-blooded
    (iii) ability to regulate temperature
    (b) (i) 35.7 -> 37.6 (1.9 range)
    (ii) 4.30am
    (iii) person is asleep & metabolic rate is slower
    (iv) faster metabolic rate due to growth/repair & higher levels of activity

5)

(a) (i) breakdown of ingested food
    (ii) to attain nutrition from food
    (iii) mechanical: physical breaking down of food, eg: with teeth
    chemical: breaking down of food with enzymes etc
    (b) (i) duodenum
    (ii) liver
    (iii) stomach
    (iv) produces digestive enzymes such as pepsin

6)

(a) (i) stage 2 requires oxygen, stage one does not
    (ii) stage 2 yields more energy than stage 1
    (b) cytosol
    (c) anaerobic respiration / fermentation
    (d) lactic acid / ethanol&co2
    (e) ATP (wasn't 100% sure of what they wanted here)
    (f) breaks down and bonds with electrons to form h2o (again, wasn't 100%)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    gallbladder.gif

im gonna say a massive gall bladder

Allow me to visually illustrate how you've just proven yourself wrong.

0TLyX.jpg

f47Ih.jpg

I think we can call it the liver and move on with our lives then, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

Wow. I can't believe all the complaints. I must say I really liked the paper but having given it some thought and after reading what's written here I think maybe it just suited me. Like everyone else I'm focusing on the little nitty gritty things I know I got wrong but I still think I got my A1 *touches wood*.

I imagine they'll accept liver or gall bladder; I said liver myself. It was ridiculous to give such a terrible diagram. Personally, I didn't like the nephron diagram, it was kinda unclear but that was still a nice question. I was horrified by the experiments at first but I think they just required some thought. I answered everything with reasonable confidence after a while. I think you can say that about the paper as a whole. It made you think; it really tested your understanding instead of what you learned off by rote and as an aspiring zoologist I liked that!

Speaking of zoology, I thought the ecology question was LOVELY! Again, I realise I'm biased but I wouldn't be too worried about the ducks. Any step in the right direction should get the marks. They're not looking for some scientific journal style answer, they just wanted you to think.

Anyway whether we're happy with it or not, it's done and there's nothing we can do about that now! That's the key thing to bare in mind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

doctorg wrote: »
    I will refer back to my original answer for this

"Well both answers can be right as the bile duct splits into two, One goes to the liver and other to the gall bladder."
    Wayy back at post #368 :)

As regards that question, technically the bile duct comes from the liver, and the cystic duct comes from the gallbladder. They join together to enter the duodenum. The cystic duct was on a diagram someone quoted earlier on, but I don't think thats from leaving cert notes, as I don't remember there being a specific differentiation between the 2. It is completely understandable that people were confused, they should have given the exact shape/orientation of the liver, or else included the gallbladder as well. It'll just depend on how many people made the same mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 smileeey

for joining DNA - is ligation right?

i got
    anabolic
    anabolic
    anabolic

and also said no to proteins AND glucose in the urine.

please some one tell me if these are right
    otherwise i wont get a wink of sleep..

wasnt gone on the paper.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

smileeey wrote: »
    for joining DNA - is ligation right?

i got
    anabolic
    anabolic
    anabolic

and also said no to proteins AND glucose in the urine.

please some one tell me if these are right
    otherwise i wont get a wink of sleep..

wasnt gone on the paper.....

3 anabolics, imo, is right. As is the proteins/glucose question :)

Seems to be some misunderstanding in the DNA question. I'm not sure if anyone has come up with a definite answer, but I would think its hydrogen bonding between the complementary bases. Not to worry though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

jawn wrote: »
    SECTION A:

1)

(a) Fat / lipids
    (b) Phosphorus -> structure
    (c) Brick Red
    (d) Formation of the phospholipid bilayer
    (e) Detoxification (Iffy I would say a participant in chemical reactions)
    (f) 20

2)

(a) Asexual reproduction
    (b) Cancers / Mutations
    (c) Carcinogens, ie: smoking&radiation / Mutagens
    (d) Metaphase
    (e) Spindal fibres
    (f) Plant (cleavage furrow in animal cell)
    (g) Mitosis creates two identical daughter cells
    Meiosis creaters 4 non identical daughter cells

3)

(a) parasitism
    (b) producers
    (c) population
    (d) decomposers
    (e) symbiosis
    (f) competition
    (g) predation

4)

(a) (i) organism that produces its own heat
    (ii) ectotherm / cold-blooded
    (iii) ability to regulate temperature
    (b) (i) 35.7 -> 37.6 (1.9 range)
    (ii) 4.30am
    (iii) person is asleep & metabolic rate is slower
    (iv) faster metabolic rate due to growth/repair & higher levels of activity

5)

(a) (i) breakdown of ingested food
    (ii) to attain nutrition from food
    (iii) mechanical: physical breaking down of food, eg: with teeth
    chemical: breaking down of food with enzymes etc
    (b) (i) duodenum
    (ii) liver
    (iii) stomach
    (iv) produces digestive enzymes such as Amylase+Lipase

6)

(a) (i) stage 2 requires oxygen, stage one does not
    (ii) stage 2 yields more energy than stage 1
    (b) cytosol
    (c) anaerobic respiration / fermentation
    (d) lactic acid / ethanol&co2
    (e) ATP (wasn't 100% sure of what they wanted here)
    (f) breaks down and bonds with electrons to form h2o (again, wasn't 100%)

I think there's some iffy answers here. Feel free to correct me.

i got all anabolic but that prob aint right :p but the last one it said the product molecules were bigger than the substrate molecules....if the product is bigger would that not be a build up from small to big i.e anabolic? i'm probably wrong but i'm just curious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭sob1467

This thread is turning into a hl maths paper1esc thread.
    I was relatively pleased what came up but I could really have done with a respiration long question. I knew that topic like the back if my hand

sob1467 wrote: »
    This thread is turning into a hl maths paper1esc thread.
    I was relatively pleased what came up but I could really have done with a respiration long question. I knew that topic like the back if my hand

yeah me too, and a good photosynthesis one but no! :o went over both well this night and this morning, oh well, you'll have that with exams :P

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

3 minutes before the exam I was literally going to ask for an ordinary level but my friends talked me out of it
    Now I have no science subject hence 0% of college and looks like ill have to repeat for what I want but theres no way in hell im repeating so looks like im in a sh** dead end job for the rest of my days

I'd prefer to repeat TBH.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

seems to me as though all of you are deciding whether you got your A1 or A2 and I'm really really pleased for all of you and I've no doubt you did really well .
    I think you guys should enjoy this summer and stop stressing .
    I just wanted to say that before I stop posting in this thread ,
    Seeing everything I got wrong is depressing . Whats even worse is I was stupid enough to get talked into doing the higher level.
    Good Luck to you all tho
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

NotExactly wrote: »
    I'd prefer to repeat TBH.:rolleyes:

I'd repeat if I didnt consider my school days the worst days of my entire life

• Advertisement

oh and what did ye say for why a child had a higher body temp

seems to me as though all of you are deciding whether you got your A1 or A2 and I'm really really pleased for all of you and I've no doubt you did really well .
    I think you guys should enjoy this summer and stop stressing .
    I just wanted to say that before I stop posting in this thread ,
    Seeing everything I got wrong is depressing . Whats even worse is I was stupid enough to get talked into doing the higher level.
    Good Luck to you all tho
    :)

don't you worry one bit, you will pass! :) if you had been doing honours until now you just freaked a little, and then felt the exam wasnt great, it went far better than you thought no doubt!! just did the calculations....section A and B is a pass so if you got a good bit in them and part (a)'s in Section C even you will pass, dont sweat, good luck to you too and to everyone else :D

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

heya, thanks for the answers to section A.
    Just wondering if lipids (use of them in cells question) can only be used for the formation of the phospholipid bilayer? I wrote that and then cut it out and wrote used to store energy (:P) will i lose marks because of that?
    And as for the role of water, I said transportation, is that correct?

Oh, and I know it's not quite possible but I was wondering if someone could kind of give me an idea as to how the 20 marks will be broken down for each part?

Thanks! xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭richieffff

Faster metabolism, was a guess though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

I said they have a higher rate of metabolism because they're still growing and mitosis occurs more generating heat...

Hollzy wrote: »
    I said they have a higher rate of metabolism because they're still growing and mitosis occurs more generating heat...

sweet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

Hollzy wrote: »

Mitosis generates heat?? O.o
    then why do we see a big temp drop at night, when this is the period we are growing most?
    Ignore that i really want to talk about the sleep graph. The first two cycles were ordinary and the end went very differently.
    For my temperature range, i took the really low temp which was on the unusual part, rather than the slightly higher bit on the normal first part, with the normal max.
    Is anyone else worried/confused by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

During metaphase the chromosomes are attached to the centrioles, right? I know they're attached BY the spindle fibres, but the answer to that short answer question was centriole.... i think.... maybe? anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Gavarn

aranciata wrote: »
    During metaphase the chromosomes are attached to the centrioles, right? I know they're attached BY the spindle fibres, but the answer to that short answer question was centriole.... i think.... maybe? anyone?

I said centrioles as well! Hope we're right :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    heya, thanks for the answers to section A.
    Just wondering if lipids (use of them in cells question) can only be used for the formation of the phospholipid bilayer? I wrote that and then cut it out and wrote used to store energy (:P) will i lose marks because of that?
    And as for the role of water, I said transportation, is that correct?
    They're perfectly fine as answers. So long as what you say is valid the examiners will mark it correct. AFAIK they're allowed to give you the marks for something even if it's not strictly speaking on the marking scheme so long as it's sound and correct.

Advertisement