Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Megan.mcgowan

I was one

At least you didnt start crying in the exam hall! A girl sitting next to me, about 20 mins into the exam called the supervisor over to her.. She must have asked to drop down to pass and the supervisor told her she couldnt cause obv its against the rules, and tried to relax her and was encouraging her to keep reading over the q's and attempt everything..And she just started crying and shaking her head saying she couldnt do it. My heart went out to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Phareon

Overall, I thought the paper was great ^^ Was hoping for an A1, and I think I may have gotten it :D
    Only a few bits I'm not really happy about, and I'm sure they've been mentioned loads of times already!!

-Those bloody ducks! I'm sure I said it's 'cos the males just favour warmer climates :P
    -The childrens' heat, I said it's 'cos they're growing, they use more energy, so they make more heat!
    -The liver/gall bladder fiasco: I said liver!
    -This hydrogen bond craic: I do Chemistry too, and I was there thinking, 'nah it can't be hydrogen bonds! That's not Biology like! So I put down 'nitrogenous bases' :O
    -For short Q1 vi), I put down 3 amino acids, but I'm sure I had the other 5 parts right, so it's okay!
    -For the range of body temperature, I had 37.6-35.7 = 1.9C
    -And for Short Q6, was it not Glycolysis, and a product is water? That's what I had!
    -For the uses of Iodine, I had test for starch, and staining plant cells! But they're kind of the same thing :O
    -For uses of water baths, I had keeping constant temperature, and in the osmosis experiment!
    -The nephron Q was lovely! Except I said a kidney is an exocrine gland 'cos it had a good network of blood vessels :O
    -I said protein is normal in urine, 'cos it's in urea :O Gaagh I should've known that from Chemistry!
    -I completely forgot about the definitions in the Genetics Q, until about 5 minutes before I left, then squeezed them in at the end of the page!
    -14 b iii) I thought they couldn't all be anabolic (stupid mistake), so I said protein synthesis was catabolic!! D:
    -14 c viii) I said contractile vacuole!!!! :D

Now that I think of it, I actually had quite a few mistakes, so maybe I only got a B1/A2 :O Here's hoping!!

Also, before I forget, what did all you guys say for the scientist responsible for the Theory of Evolution? I thought I'd be a rebel, and said Alfred Wallace, since most people would say Darwin!!!

Edit: Just realised that the Paper's out of 400, so you can get an A with only 340 marks!! That's basically leaving out the experiments, and getting everything else perfect! Feeling a lot more confident of my little mistakes now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Phareon wrote: »
    Edit: Just realised that the Paper's out of 400, so you can get an A with only 340 marks!! That's basically leaving out the experiments, and getting everything else perfect! Feeling a lot more confident of my little mistakes now!
    Oh really?
    I feel way more confident now!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MarkTheBaby

It's cus the Female Ducks are such flirts!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭AbsentPonderer

Lads, I was devastated! I got my mobile and took off down town!! The annoying thing is that I knew so feicing much stuff like, especially for ecology and they do that to me aaaaagghh!
    Anyway tis done !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

The Irish Times article about Biology was ridiculous I thought. It said the short questions had "a calming effect" on students.... Er, what? :rolleyes: Also that all of the expected topics came up, when reproduction was missing and respiration and photosynthesis were just small parts. And the ecology question was not "lovely". :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭aoife_bennett

I think that's a positive test for diabetes or something ...not entirely sure

that's what i said :) PLEASE let that be right!!!!!!!! the only thing i could think of was my teacher yelling out 'if you've diabetes you've got lucozade piss!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

At least you didnt start crying in the exam hall! .

I did !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

that's what i said :) PLEASE let that be right!!!!!!!! the only thing i could think of was my teacher yelling out 'if you've diabetes you've got lucozade piss!!'

Yes it is. I said that the islets of langerhans produce insulin to take glucose out of the blood, when glucose is found in urine it means insulin isn't working which means diabetes more or less!

Patri wrote: »
    Yes it is. I said that the islets of langerhans produce insulin to take glucose out of the blood, when glucose is found in urine it means insulin isn't working which means diabetes more or less!

You're right, but it's because glucose doesn't fit through the capillaries of the glomerulus!! It's needed by the body, so it's reabsorbed! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

You're right, but it's because glucose doesn't fit through the capillaries of the glomerulus!! It's needed by the body, so it's reabsorbed! :D

You sure I don't think so, glucose is normally reabsorped in the proximal convulated tubule after ultrafiltration thru' the glomerulus right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 KoolAidRelic

You kind of contradicted yourself there: you said it doesn't enter the nephron and then said it's reabsorbed from it!

You kind of contradicted yourself there: you said it doesn't enter the nephron and then said it's reabsorbed from it!

I never said it's reabsorbed from the nephron!

Turns out it's proteins that are taken out before, and glucose after the glomerulus! Oh well, half right :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Just thought this might be slightly topical ... >_>

look_at_this_duck.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

To clear things up.
    Glucose CAN be filtered through the Bowman's Capsule. But's it's re-absorbed before it reaches the collecting duct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

What about protein? I have 3 contradicting notes on it.
    My first one says that glomular filtrate is like blood but does not contain certain substances such as proteins as they are too large.
    Then, we have amino acids, but these are reabsorbed.
    THEN we have Urea which results from the deaminiation of amino acids in the liver!?.. So that would be present!?

So, whats the answe!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

For some reason I assumed protein couldn't be absorbed by the nephron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

My first one says that glomular filtrate is like blood but does not contain certain substances such as proteins as they are too large.
    THEN we have Urea which results from the deaminiation of amino acids in the liver!?.. So that would be present!?

So, whats the answe!?
    Protein should not be found in urine. Protein molecules are too large to pass through Bowman's Capsule. Amino Acids are building blocks of proteins, not actual proteins themselves, so are much smaller so can pass through.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

They're not contradicting notes.
    Amino acids are reabsorbed after filtration - not in urine
    Deamination of amino acids = urea(not amino acids anymore) - in urine but not protein
    Protein molecules too large to go through bowmans capsule.
    Presence of protein would indicate nephron failure so it's not normal.

Would it be wrong to say that filtration takes place in the bowman's capsule? That's what I put i''ve now found out that its wrong that its actually the glomerulus. - damn confusing paper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

So, whats the answe!?

Protein molecules and blood cells are the only things that are too large to pass into the Bowman's capsule, they continue onto the efferent arteriole.

Amino acids should be completely reabsorbed in the proximal tubule.

Urea is small enough to be filtered into the Bowman's capsule, some is reabsorbed back into the blood, some is secreted from the blood into the tubules, so overall urea is found in the urine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Would it be wrong to say that filtration takes place in the bowman's capsule? That's what I put i''ve now found out that its wrong that its actually the glomerulus. - damn confusing paper...

The glomerulus is the capillary bed inside the Bowmans capsule, so you should be right?

It's probably outside the scope of the Biology syllabus, but:

'Although healthy people do pass small amounts of protein in the urine normally, above a certain level suggests that there may be damage to the filter mechanism (the glomeruli) or inflammation.'

From here http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/liverandkidney/203137.html

*Not sure if this counts as advertising :O Oops..

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MarkTheBaby

Yeah surely there is some level if not minute of glucose and protein in urine. I mean it can't be 100% filtered out can it? what about cells from the lining of the bladder, ureter and urethra for protein?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Im still confused. If I said no, its not normal, and gave the reason for them being to large, is that the right answer?

Im still confused. If I said no, its not normal, and gave the reason for them being to large, is that the right answer?

If you justify your answer, they can't say no to giving you marks, really :D

To be honest, I don't think it makes enough of an impact to worry over whether you got it right or wrong. Enjoy your summer guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Cydoniac wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't think it makes enough of an impact to worry over whether you got it right or wrong. Enjoy your summer guys!

Economics and physics : (

• Registered Users Posts: 13 shunter07

B_Fanatic wrote: »

sucks! but i have physics accounting spanish and chemistry.. its gonna b a long 2 days!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

No is the right answer. So if you said that and gave the reason, you got it right

• Advertisement

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    Construction Studies and Music here. Still have the weekend though! :)

Advertisement