Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

Gavarn wrote: »
    I said centrioles as well! Hope we're right :D

Hope so!

Hate that I know the information, the questions just make it so much more difficult to tell the examiner what i know. Frustrating...

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Hollzy

Mitosis generates heat?? O.o
    then why do we see a big temp drop at night, when this is the period we are growing most?

Well all that activity has to give off some amount of heat. That graph suggested a larger drop but generally the temperature doesn't drop by more than a degree at night and you have to factor in all the other movement that isn't happening while you sleep when you consider this drop in temperature.

Was that dotted line at 37 degrees just a red herring to throw us off? Were we supposed to take normal body temperature as 37 or 37.6 degrees?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

aranciata wrote: »
    Was that dotted line at 37 degrees just a red herring to throw us off? Were we supposed to take normal body temperature as 37 or 37.6 degrees?

normal waking temp on the graph was 37.6 (though i read it wrong and said point 3, but what the heck).
    Did people take the repeated low at the start or the really low one during the third night as their low mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

I said the temoerature range was 37-37.6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭sarah.

shan007 wrote: »
    Ahh I had that down and I crossed it out! Oh well it was a lovely paper overall :)
    If you wrote nothing else after it you'll still get the marks even if it's crossed out! :)

hunii07 wrote: »
    I said the temoerature range was 37-37.6

But it asked for the range under normal conditions, wouldn't that be 37-35.7=1.3?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

35.5 - 37.5

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bogger_92

A very very nice paper overall, I am quite happy with it. I need an A1 so hopefully I will have that!

although I did make one definite rookie error! I misread the ADP to ATP question and read it as ATP to ADP and went oh yeah easy catabolic question lol fail! Its clearly an increase as you start with ADP and P forming ATP and water. oh well!

oh and for the record I said the liver to the infamous short question as it was logically too big to be a gall bladder.

:D

Hollzy wrote: »
    Well all that activity has to give off some amount of heat.
    Does it? Off the cuff i would have assumed copying all those chromosomes, creating cleavage furrows and new cytoplasm would take in energy in anabolic reactions, that energy coming from ATP which would have taken heat energy to make?
    I honestly don't know im just asking. Can you explain it in terms of chem. reactions or the kinetic energy of molecules? Id understand it better that way xD
    Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Gavarn wrote: »
    I said centrioles as well! Hope we're right :D
    Aren't the centrioles the parts at the end of the chromosome where the spindle fibres are generated? My answer to that question was "Attached to the centromere by spindle fibres"

Aren't the centrioles the parts at the end of the chromosome where the spindle fibres are generated? My answer to that question was "Attached to the centromere by spindle fibres"

I think it's the centrioles that are attached to the chromatids by the spindle fibres. That's why when the centrioles contract, the chromosomes are separated? Maybe..

The spindle fibres are created by the microtubules i think

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

I'm quite annoyed, as I really needed an A in Biology but I doubt I got it. I studied and knew more than just photosynthesis, reproduction, respiration etc, but many of the questions were unclear or strange imo, and there were WAY more "apply your knowledge" type questions than ever before. Not only did they leave out the parts that most people knew best, none of the "nice" bits of the course such as the heart or breathing system or viruses were on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

I think it's the centrioles that are attached to the chromatids by the spindle fibres. That's why when the centrioles contract, the chromosomes are separated? Maybe..

The spindle fibres are created by the microtubules i think

I think the spindle fibres are the entire apparatus used in seperating chromosomes including the microtubules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 smileeey

what did ye say for where electrons go after oxidative phosphorilation?

i said krebs cycle but it was a guess

oh and in what molecule is energy stored?

is ATP right??

jesus i said the chromosomes were attached to spindle fibles fock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

smileeey wrote: »
    what did ye say for where electrons go after oxidative phosphorilation?

i said krebs cycle but it was a guess

oh and in what molecule is energy stored?

is ATP right??

jesus i said the chromosomes were attached to spindle fibles fock

I think the electrons reduce hydrogen and then combine with oxygen to form water.

I think spindle fibres were what they were looking for.

In metaphase the chromosomes are attached to the spindle fibers, has anyone bothered to look in the book :p thats what I wrote anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭terryincork

Bogger_92 wrote: »
    In metaphase the chromosomes are attached to the spindle fibers, has anyone bothered to look in the book :p thats what I wrote anyway

I knew it was something like that..

Although I wrote down "stringy __"

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

"_" can be read as "line"
    So yes! They are connected to stringy lines!
    A1!

:P nice I nearly wrote down that the ducks migrated further south because they were gay!

In the end I went for a more politically correct answer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭terryincork

PJelly wrote: »
    "_" can be read as "line"
    So yes! They are connected to stringy lines!
    A1!

Hell yeh..thats obviously what I had in mind :pac:
    :P nice I nearly wrote down that the ducks migrated further south because they were gay!

LOL gay ducks??? Ohh heyyy

I didn't realise how important it is to not mention stuff about homosexuality and racism etc. in LC essays. You never know, your corrector could be homophobic, racist, sexist or all of the above!
    I was about to put something about gay rights in one of my English essays, but thought it would be safer not to.

I didn't realise how important it is to not mention stuff about homosexuality and racism etc. in LC essays. You never know, your corrector could be homophobic, racist, sexist or all of the above!
    I was about to put something about gay rights in one of my English essays, but thought it would be safer not to.

you really are right there, it is better off to err on the side of caution I was about to do the same in my english ( I presume you did the discrimination one) but I decided not to just incase I offended someone. You never know!

back to biology though eh?

you really are right there, it is better off to err on the side of caution I was about to do the same in my english ( I presume you did the discrimination one) but I decided not to just incase I offended someone. You never know!

back to biology though eh?
    It was actually "What I find indispensable"
    Now I realise that going on about how progresive Ireland is in relation to gay rights would have been irrelevant, but still!

Yes, biology. I actually decided to send an email to the SEC there. About that Gall Bladder/Liver question. Just saying how I thought there was an inaccuracy. Both liver and gall bladder should be there. The size suggests liver, but the bile duct and lack of a branch off of the duct, kinda suggests gall bladder.
    Just thought I'd point it out to them!

It was actually "What I find indispensable"
    Now I realise that going on about how progresive Ireland is in relation to gay rights would have been irrelevant, but still!

Yes, biology. I actually decided to send an email to the SEC there. About that Gall Bladder/Liver question. Just saying how I thought there was an inaccuracy. Both liver and gall bladder should be there. The size suggests liver, but the bile duct and lack of a branch off of the duct, kinda suggests gall bladder.
    Just thought I'd point it out to them!

well that was a good thing to do as the clarity of the diagram was an all time low ( even for the abysmal standards the biology exam has had in the past) but If you look at the diagram you can see that the bile duct is originating from the organ, in reality the bile duct does originate from the liver, splitting up to go to the gallbladder and the pancreas. That said it was a crappy diagram :P

well that was a good thing to do as the clarity of the diagram was an all time low ( even for the abysmal standards the biology exam has had in the past) but If you look at the diagram you can see that the bile duct is originating from the organ, in reality the bile duct does originate from the liver, splitting up to go to the gallbladder and the pancreas. That said it was a crappy diagram :P
    I maintain the fact that if a liver is present in a diagram with a bile duct, the gall bladder should be included :p

I should have included the duck question too....

I maintain the fact that if a liver is present in a diagram with a bile duct, the gall bladder should be included :p

Oh it should have without doubt its essential.. well not really! people have none perhaps that was a diagram of someone whos has a gallbladder-ectomy.. its something like choleo... blah.. I cant pronounce it never mind spell it :P haha

yes, you should have congradulated them on attempting to inject some humour into the exam. BRAVO! x)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

They're perfectly fine as answers. So long as what you say is valid the examiners will mark it correct. AFAIK they're allowed to give you the marks for something even if it's not strictly speaking on the marking scheme so long as it's sound and correct.
    Thanks very much! That kind of relaxed me, thanks a mill! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

A very very nice paper overall, I am quite happy with it. I need an A1 so hopefully I will have that!

although I did make one definite rookie error! I misread the ADP to ATP question and read it as ATP to ADP and went oh yeah easy catabolic question lol fail! Its clearly an increase as you start with ADP and P forming ATP and water. oh well!

oh and for the record I said the liver to the infamous short question as it was logically too big to be a gall bladder.

:D

I did that too! :p

Advertisement