Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

yes, you should have congradulated them on attempting to inject some humour into the exam. BRAVO! x)
    A form of humor would be..
    "Water was just split in photosynthesis! It's lost all it's electrons! It told me itself!"
    "Was it sure?"
    "Yes! It's positive!"

ba dum *pish*

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    I did that too! :p
    I read exocrine as endocrine for the kidney part. Led to a lot of confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

The kidney is an exocrine gland because it releases its chemicals (urine) into a duct (bladder).... right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

aranciata wrote: »
    The kidney is an exocrine gland because it releases its chemicals (urine) into a duct (bladder).... right?
    I said that too. The duct is a ureter btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I said that too. The duct is a ureter btw.

How many marks will i lose for that do you think?

OH SH*T WHAT IF IT'S THE COLLECTING DUCT?

• Advertisement

aranciata wrote: »
    Oh I know that. But as I thought it was "Endocrine" I mentioned something about the adrenal glands that are on top of them. Though that's something completely different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 helell

see www.facebook.com/leavingcertbiology for answers to todays paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bradleyboy

hey lads, for the Q5 9(i) i said small intestine? i know now that it is the duodenum but will i get any marks for my answer? does it havta be that specific? technically i'm not wrong?

bradleyboy wrote: »
    hey lads, for the Q5 9(i) i said small intestine? i know now that it is the duodenum but will i get any marks for my answer? does it havta be that specific? technically i'm not wrong?
    I think so. Every time I've seen a large or small intestine in a marking scheme. They always accept the specific part, or just "Large/Small intestine"

PJelly wrote: »
    I think so. Every time I've seen a large or small intestine in a marking scheme. They always accept the specific part, or just "Large/Small intestine"
    ah thanks! i need all the marks i can get!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

Feck it i thought the stomach was the big one!! since when is the liver bigger than the stomach??

The liver is a massive organ. Its the largest internal organ.

anyone doing DCG tomorow? any predictions? or link me to the thread i cant find it :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

bradleyboy wrote: »
    anyone doing DCG tomorow? any predictions? or link me to the thread i cant find it :/

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056243176

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ask and you shall receive, I guess, cydoniac! :rolleyes:

Ask and you shall receive, I guess, cydoniac! :rolleyes:
    All the cool kids have one nowadays.
    Where's yours?
    *snigger*

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

All the cool kids have one nowadays.
    Where's yours?
    *snigger*
    Where I've always kept it.

When some young lady isn't using it, that is. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

I said for the question in mitosis,

What is the role of mitosis in single celled organelle?

I said ASEXUAL reproduction? Is that wrong? :confused:

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    I said for the question in mitosis,

What is the role of mitosis in single celled organelle?

I said ASEXUAL reproduction? Is that wrong? :confused:
    Organelle? I think you mean organism?
    And yeah, in single celled organisms it's for reproduction. Don't think it mattered if you specified asexual or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

I read exocrine as endocrine for the kidney part. Led to a lot of confusion!
    I didn't even read that question! Then while revising, I saw that at 12:27 and freaked out so haven't a clue what I wrote! I made a lot of silly mistakes! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

I was so disappointed ALL the stuff I studied didn't come up. It was one thing being no photosynthesis or respiration but then as well no DNA, plants, reproduction, nutrition, the heart, human defense system at all on the paper? All the meaty stuff.....where were any of you? I knew all those so well........

I know a lot hate the plants and DNA chapters and and a lot avoided them. I actually liked them and was hoping the'd be on the paper. But no! So the people who avoided them got away with it and maybe will even get a better grade than me even though I know a lot more biology than them......

The only meaty stuff that came up on the paper was excretion but even that the answers were only short. Plant responses, osmosis, enzymes didn't study in detail as much...and avoided genetics because I couldn't understand it.

I bet now all the stuff I wanted to be on the paper will be on next years exam....+more of a chance there won't be a long question on genetics so even more of a chance everything I had wanted will be on next years paper.

Oh, I'm not repeating anyway! I think I got a lot of the question right though. But I could only write 1 or 2 sentences on the questions whereas I could write reams on the stuff I wanted to come up.....but none of it came up.

Also was most of those long questions on unit 3? I thought 80% of them were supposed to be on unit 1 and 2?

Anyone feel the same way as me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

(iii) The nutrition of Rhizopus is described as being saprophytic.
    1. What does the term saprophytic mean?
    2. Explain the importance of saprophytic nutrition in the overall scheme of nature

For Q2 I said "because if there were no saprophytes the world would be full of dead stuff", yeah I was getting tired by that stage! :(

:cool:

Apart from that the paper was ok.. And for DNA joined together, I said weak hydrogen bonds?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

What did people get for that genetics question? Didnt seem too difficult but after staying up all night i just couldn't seem to work out a proper answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

That exam was difficult and challenging, but fair. It screwed over the people who abided by the predictions, and rewarded those who understood the course broadly. Most difficult paper in years, but definitely the best..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Gav77 wrote: »
    What did people get for that genetics question? Didnt seem too difficult but after staying up all night i just couldn't seem to work out a proper answer!
    1:1:1:1 with each combination of the two traits being present.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Apart from that the paper was ok.. And for DNA joined together, I said weak hydrogen bonds?
    The wording of that question confused me. I said "The use of an enzyme such as DNA Ligase" which is joining two strands of DNA together in the likes of genetic engineering followed by "Double helix held together by complementary base pairs". I was tempted to add hydrogen bonding too but there was no space to write any more. It was one of the many vaguely worded questions on the paper.

The wording of that question confused me. I said "The use of an enzyme such as DNA Ligase" which is joining two strands of DNA together in the likes of genetic engineering followed by "Double helix held together by complementary base pairs". I was tempted to add hydrogen bonding too but there was no space to write any more. It was one of the many vaguely worded questions on the paper.

Hmm.. I just checked my book and indeed it says "weak hydrogen bonds" but I will agree the question was phrased rather oddly! As were another few.

I don't know WHY but I read this:
    1. Suggest a way in which the scientists may have sterilised the compost.

as: Suggest "why" the scientists may have sterilised the compost

:(

Such a stupid mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

I was just looking at that Facebook page with the answers to the test and I realised I misread the end of the respiration short question.
    It said what is the electron transferred to at the end of the transport chain.
    I read, what is it REFERRED to. *facepalm* My answer was a low energy electron. -.-
    I'm such a noob. Lesson learned to not only re-read my answers, but re-read all the questions. :P

I still think I have my A1 :D I was one mark away in the mocks but I feel this exam was a massive improvement. I hate all this analysing :P

^^^^^^^^ your name is very appropriate for the Biology 2011 thread :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Megan.mcgowan

I think I got on pretty well! I'd say I got my B anyways! :D But thought the paper was kinda unfair on those people on the border of passing failing/and were just hoping to pass. You really had to have a really broad knowledge of the course! A few of my friends were banking on reproduction, the heart, digestion and resp/photosyn as a long question and a few came out crying! Felt so sorry for them..

Also though the long ecology questions was weird? Like i wasnt really sure if i was giving a valid answer or not! But my Bio teacher said there were a few different valid answers so hopefully i got them :L

The food short qu's were trickier than usual aswell! Normally I get full marks but think i got a few wrong..

And can anyone remember the question on Mitosis.. Cant remember the exact wording but it was something like what cell develops a cell plate in the last stage of mitosis?
    Never heard of a cell plate in my life!! haha

Supposedly the DNA cross was really easy, was kinda bummed I didnt revise it and did reproduction instead! But i answered every other question so hopefully I did ok.
    Exps were weird aswell but think I did well on them!

Overall I thought it was a good paper, just felt bad for those who were depending on the big topics and would have been thrown off by the itty bitty random questions and the long ecol question!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

a few came out crying!

I was one

Advertisement