Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12mb/25mb/50mb/100mb BB confirmed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

TheDoc wrote: »
    new Modem/router came today for the 50mb.

I posted earlier the speed jump before new modem, well here it is now

1291293536.png

It was an easy setup to get going, however having some issue on wireless and I'm betting its due to DNS servers.

Cant for love nor money find the DNS servers through in the new thompson router :(

Did you set up a new Username/password for the Wireless? If you reused your old SSID you way have to delete it on your PC and add it from scratch.

DNS is listed on the WAN page. They are set to UPC's DNS and aren't editable though.

If you specify DNS on the computer it should override this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Thats pants that I cant edit DNS on then router.

I've setup the new password etc

None of the wifi devices will connect and more worryingly when they scan they seem to constantly drop the network from the list, wondering if the actual wireless signal is pants from the router.

None of my iphones and ipods had to have static ips so I'm going to try that next to see if things get moving

They are all connecting just not working which indicates a DNS issue but more worringly really is how frequent and weak the signal looks

ok wow, it seems the problem is simply just the signal coming from the router is absolutely ****.

Went back to old router everything up and running, but ideally I should have to link off to another router to send the signal, thought the whole point was everything in the one box.

But yeah, this thompson router, ****ing woeful wireless signal around the house, wireless devices jsut cant hold the signal

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Do the new modems not allow you to change the start of the SSID so they all begin with "UPC....."

ok wow, it seems the problem is simply just the signal coming from the router is absolutely ****.

Went back to old router everything up and running, but ideally I should have to link off to another router to send the signal, thought the whole point was everything in the one box.

But yeah, this thompson router, ****ing woeful wireless signal around the house, wireless devices jsut cant hold the signal

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056265590

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Sounds like I might continue using my Linksys e2000 as router then.

fionny wrote: »
    Sounds like I might continue using my Linksys e2000 as router then.

Id wait till its confirmed by a good few others mate before id start worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I get a brilliant wireless N signal 55mb speed, streams so much better than my old non N router. Maybe its the card in your laptop/pc? Maybe the usb dongles arent that good?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

well that was a bit of a pallarva. :)

got there in the end tho, just about.

had the engineers out around 12 and they re-cabled me from the street to the house & replaced the box on the wall before installing the modem.

the modem was connected right away, but they said i had to wait for it to br provisioned which has been taking longer for the new modems than the old ones, but that it should be on in about an hour and they'd ring me to make sure.

the hour came & went and they called me, but it wasn't provisioned and they had to call head office and said it might take a couple of hours, which it did. :)

whilst i was waiting i connected my own router (a linksys E3000 running the tomato v1.28 custom firmware, with all other hosts connecting to it wired or wirelessly) into a single port on the thompson router and had a poke around in the UPC router config via 192.168.0.1 with blank username and admin as the password and disabled the UPC wireless completely, changed the access username & password and put my own router's IP into the DMZ as the exposed host.

at this point, i was having issues with some of my pc's connecting to the internet, although the 1st one had connected fine and it was then that i remembered that altho i'd disabled most of the features of the upc router, I'd left the firewall on and because they were not connected directly through the upc router, but via my own router it was classifying them as untrusted and blocking access.

if this happens to you then it's a case of either adding the mac addresses of any pc's on your network into the 'trusted computers' table of the upc firewall page, or (assuming you have another router behind the upc one with it's own firewall) disabling the upc firewall totally fixes the problem as well.

ironically enough, even tho i had no online connectivity on some pc's with the upc firewall blocking pc's that were not directly connected to it, the one thing that was still able to get online was skype, which was pretty impressive, you just can't keep that thing down! :D

i haven't actually done anything else with it yet other than a speedtest, so i'll probably have a play around with it later if i have time tonight, but i'm supposed to be working so i might not get a chance. :(

the speed itself isn't as fast as it could be, but i'll do some investigating when i get a chance. not over bothered tho considering the price, it's still pretty awesome. :D

1291310312.png
    I get a brilliant wireless N signal 55mb speed, streams so much better than my old non N router. Maybe its the card in your laptop/pc? Maybe the usb dongles arent that good?
    good afternoon mickey boy. :)

just onto them now

Setup static ips and things are starting to look like they are working

Walking round house just seeing if it keeps up

Was having a nightmare connecting this afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

bk wrote: »
    You need to ring up to upgrade, subject to a new 12 months contract *.

They may eventually automatically upgrade people, but it might be a few months before that happens.

* Hardly a hardship, these are great deals and there won't be anyone else come within miles of these offers in the next 12 months. It is only a problem for people who think they might have to move.

Each time they upgrade the speeds, I get a text message telling me that my broadband spaeed has been increased free of charge. I just switch off the modem and switch it back on. Easy, no phone calls needed. I better check my bills though to make sure I am getting the correct price deals.

Just tested after posting. was at 8mb before turning off modem. Now i am at 10mb after rebooting modem. I thought it would have been 12mb :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just onto them now

Setup static ips and things are starting to look like they are working

Walking round house just seeing if it keeps up

Was having a nightmare connecting this afternoon
    if you're walking round the house with a laptop anyway, you might as well get yourself a (free) copy of inSSIDer and do a wireless survey of your house and check for other wifi that may be on the same channel as you that may be blocking your wireless signal.

personally, i'd disable the 'auto' channel feature on the router and just pick a nice quiet channel with the least interference locally to you (bring the laptop running inSSIDer to each of your upstairs & downstairs windows to test) and you should get much better results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Yeah click on broadband, then click on the 50MB, after you do it youl probably get a call a few hrs afterwards or the next day. Its actually working out 2 euro cheaper for me also because we have a bundle!:D

ta. just rang armed with info from this thread and the UPC site and twitter and got the BB upgraded to 50mb for an extra fiver plus no 20e charge after saying i was told I couldn't upgrade online and that it's no 20e fee online!
    So I'll now have 50mBB/phone(just the phone)/Digital Value pack for 52.50!:D so my discounts weren't touched
    She just said the modem would be sent by courier but offered no timeframe so I said would that be in a few days or wekks and she said a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bountyfour

Hi guys,
    if someone could help me because I don't understand all :rolleyes:
    So, my products :
    - Fibre Power Broadband 30Mb
    - Go Digital Value Pack
    - Phone anytime world
    > 82 euros.

After upgrade what can I get and what will be the new price?
    Thank you
    Bounty:P

Bountyfour wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    So, my products :
    - Go Digital Value Pack
    - Phone anytime world
    > 82 euros.

Thank you

Just look at the bundles on UPC's page?

50meg
    Digital Max, Digital +
    Free time world

80euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Bountyfour wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    So, my products :
    - Go Digital Value Pack
    - Phone anytime world
    > 82 euros.

Thank you

im on that package, but i have another point upstairs, so its costs me 93 a months.

they upgraded me to the 50mb, and im playing less!!

paying like 89 now.

i had to pay 20 euro for the self install for the new router,

im so happy i ditched eircom and sky.

Half an hour after ordering the 50mb I now have almost 30mb/5mb wired and 22mb wireless on the old cisco
    Can't wait to get the new Thompson

All sorted

Changing the wireless channel and that started working.

Laptops maxing at 20mb ( wireless G ) but my dads only tipping 12-15mb and hes on wireless N

However cabled I'm getting 49mb and when I through my laptop in on cable got the same so I'm happy.

However the new venture is the modem, with its new domain IP range has RUINED my NAS setup and I'm panicing to solve it, but thats another threads talk ;)

Very happy camper here ( Dad moving back into main pc room next month and will be cabled so no probs with the wireless)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

For the 50mb connection, or euroDOCSIS v3.0, what modem will we be getting?

On 20MB ATM and have Cisco epc2425.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Im on the Digital max HD bundle. It works out at about 84 euro for 30mb internet with Digital + HD. If I call up will they upgrade me to 50mb ? Dont really care about the new price but would love the extra 20mb!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

86.25 ring a bell? Think I was on the same/similar triple play pack.

Call customer service. Ask for loyalty department. Ask to be moved to the newer ultimate package.

Did it yesterday and no problems.

Modem arrived today. Plugged it in and bingo. 50mb.
    Tusky wrote: »
    Im on the Digital max HD bundle. It works out at about 84 euro for 30mb internet with Digital + HD. If I call up will they upgrade me to 50mb ? Dont really care about the new price but would love the extra 20mb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GiddyUp86

I am getting a consistent upload speed of just under 11mb on the 100mb line just incase anyone is wondering, the site says its an upload speed of 7mb but in fact its 10mb

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Just onto them there to upgrade to the Ultimate bundle pack and told no. I have phone, broadband, Digital Max Hd and movies and multi room. I cannot believe they've refused me because I'm an existing customer. Asked to speak to Customer Loyalty, "no problem, if you just hold on I'll put you through" she says. So I wait and low and behold the main menu comes back on, I then remember someone earlier on this thread saying Customer Loyalty close at 5pm. Surely she knew this, VERY ANGRY!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

CorkMan wrote: »
    For the 50mb connection, or euroDOCSIS v3.0, what modem will we be getting?

On 20MB ATM and have Cisco epc2425.

This one:

The Technicolor (formerly Thomson) TWG870.

http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/original_thomson_twg870_manual.pdf

It definitely looks like it's hit and miss as to who you get, ring up in the morning and they'll put you through to the loyalty crowd. Actually if you get a good sales rep they'll probably do it there and then for you.

It's worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

My gf ordered the 50MB BB + TV + Phone bundle on Tuesday. The lady said it will be upgraded from 20MB and that was that, no mention of replacing the Cisco EPC2425. I read on here about needing the euroDOCSIS v3.0 to get 50MB and up and I told my gf to ring them. Apparently the Technicolor TWG870 is required to get 50MB.

She got told today by the man on the other end he would get back to my gf tomorrow. Should this be happening?

Out of curiosity those of you waiting for the 100meg to be installed have your myUPC accounts been updated to reflect that yet?

They have added the phone to my account but it still reads 30meg?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

It reads the same on mine

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Out of curiosity those of you waiting for the 100meg to be installed have your myUPC accounts been updated to reflect that yet?

My broadband package hasn't changed but they added.

− Call Forwarding
    − Call Barring
    − Phone Service

So they probably have activated the phone line at my end. Still say's 30Mb broadband and the standalone charge, Must have have to wait until the change the modem over to the new one for the 100Mb line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Same here, install tomorrow afternoon, presume they just wait until the installer calls through to activate it.

Incidentally, my phone service was up and running within 2 hours of placing the order, just plugged in the old phone I had from a previous install and it worked....all I had to do was reboot the Cisco Router.

Advertisement