Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frontline to debate hunting issues in countryside (MOD NOTE #26)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Yes - I find the Frontline rather tedious at the best of times and will probably just read people's comments on here in case anything vaguely interesting comes up!!

A it can be good, some times

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

johngalway wrote: »
    You know that friends request I approved yesterday Tack...

:D

Hate to disappoint but I won't be watching never mind considering taking part. If it's anything like last time out it'll be a badly moderated rant fest that achieves SFA and is forgotten about withing minutes, or seconds if something better is on the other side.

I prefer to talk to people on here, or in person, or talk to/write to TD's etc. Catch more with honey than vinegar, and there's going to be a famine of one and a flood of the other on that programme.

Most of us will likely have had debates with more depth in the playground in 6th class.

In all fairness John,if it's any thing like the last couple of televised rants against hunting,it's bound to be a pretty good laugh:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭TippFan77

Ezridax wrote: »
    You mean divide the shooting community as a whole? So now "target Shooters" can sit back and say nothing bothers them as they do not hunt? Then allow those opposd to hunting to attack a smaller demographic? please.......... :rolleyes::confused:

I will never label myself to one category of shooting to make it more palatable for those that do not shoot. As i take part in most forms of shooting i do not need to don the "hunting" hat when out on a stalk, then the "target" hat when on the range. I know what i am, and do not feel the need to "justify" it to others.

Have no idea where this came from. Otters have the highest level of protection, and not just under Irish law, but European directives also. Meaning it is an offence to shoot, trap, even interfere with their habitat.

See post #26.

Refer to my first point.

I still do not adhere to this notion of "labeling". So others that have never, and will most likely never partake in shooting can easily identify me, and my preferences then choose to subject me to ridicule based on my "label". I think not.

Interesting points you make and I don't entirely disagree with you. Why I raised this at all is that a local woman told me she was "anti-hunting". I asked what was wrong with the gun club and she looked confused, declaring she had nothing against shooting! She was referring to a foxhunt. This is what I mean by confusion over the terms shooting and hunting.

Here's another example to maybe underline my point: In Britain they've got the "Hunting Act" and what people over there casually refer to as the "Hunting Ban". But that Act deals only with chasing foxes and stags with hounds, and hare coursing (which nobody at all thinks of as "hunting") and the "Hunting Act" does not in any way affect shooting or vermin control by gun clubs.

So I suggest that when someone says to a non-fieldsporting friend "I'm going hunting", he might usefully add: "that's with my gun of course..." Otherwise people out there in our increasingly urbanised society could get their wires crossed.

I agree with you to an extent about the "labelling issue", but I know the local gun club lads wouldn't want to be lumped in with guys who do things that no gun club in Ireland would stand over, but that still can be referred to loosely as "hunting"

Re otters...you are correct re their legal status...I was just making the point that the tracking down of otters with hounds...was also referred to as "hunting"...yet obviously not "hunting" in the sense that game shooting is, or as acceptable to the wider public.

Clarification is what is needed on these matters.

I wonder what the data capacity of this forum is,cos by jaysus we're filling it up fast,and the show won't be over for two and a half hours:):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

A it can be good, some times

;)

Class:D - laughable that one of RTE's grossly overpaid divas thinks he can identify with the common man:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

TippFan77

I completely get your point. You want/would like a differentiation between the distinctive "classes" of hunters/shooters. I also get the "do you ride around on horses with dogs ......." comments when i tell people i hunt. I explain to them that i use a gun, and they either do not care, or understand the difference.

However other than my points on labeling myself for the benefits of others, and i mean others as shooting people that i associate with know the difference, i still do not feel the need to explain my 100% legal pursuits to others.

If a person enjoys cycling i don't give them a hard time for being on the roads, not paying tax, etc, etc. I know there is a world of difference between the two activities however you get my point.

Shooting (in all its forms) is a more high profile topic than any other.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Da bould Ming takin some sense there!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

its about rural economy etc havnt heard shooting mentioned yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

the fella's arms holding the mic must be killing him

Mayo Ramblers, closest thing to us so far

• Advertisement

TippFan77 wrote: »
    I understand RTE's Frontline will debate hunting as part of a wider debate on countryside issues tomorrow night (Monday). ARAN will represent the anti side. While I share ARAN's anti-hare coursing stance, I wouldn't be happy with its anti-shooting views.

Just wondering where you heard there would a debate on hunting here!!!

Huntin, shootin, fishin - there it is, blink and you missed it:rolleyes:

PS: Apparently its just for the Germans though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

I want my hour back:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Glad nobody made a fuss over it so far - can't see how anything positive could come out of being mentioned in there.

why am i missing i am legend to watch this absolute non hunting related crap?

I'M GOING FOR A FECKIN PINT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ya aint missing much there either Garv..:D:P
    Just got in from work....By the sound of things I missed nothing then???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Ya aint missing much there either Garv..:D:P
    Just got in from work....By the sound of things I missed nothing then???

brill film :D

hunting wasnt mentioned, it was more about jobs in rural ireland and crap bla bla i wanst paying attention:o

You missed feck all grizz,oh,by the way garv,28 weeks later was on Ch4. Much better zombie flick!:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

TippFan77 wrote: »
    I understand RTE's Frontline will debate hunting as part of a wider debate on countryside issues tomorrow night (Monday). ARAN will represent the anti side. While I share ARAN's anti-hare coursing stance, I wouldn't be happy with its anti-shooting views.

I blame you:D your sources aren't great LOL I am legend was missed because of it :{

• Advertisement

Longranger wrote: »
    You missed feck all grizz,oh,by the way garv,28 weeks later was on Ch4. Much better zombie flick!:):)

seen it recently. was flicking onto that too abit. i am legend is better. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

shawshank redemptions on chnl 4 :rolleyes:

84 posts, what an Anti Climax :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Told ye not to be getting all wound up

Enjoyed the open steak sandwich tho

84 posts, what an Anti Climax :(

Bit like a bad first date. All the fuss and nobody puts out:)

djflawless wrote: »
    shawshank redemptions on chnl 4 :rolleyes:

what channel 4 have you got? "the event" is on mine:rolleyes:

Never mind,this Smithwicks is lovely! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

garv123 wrote: »
    what channel 4 have you got? "the event" is on mine:rolleyes:
    thanks for that correction :D tis actually itv :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Spunk84 wrote: »
    I blame you:D your sources aren't great LOL I am legend was missed because of it :{

Now Spunk ya should know by now, thats always the way with the anti hunting lobby :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

djflawless wrote: »
    thanks for that correction :D tis actually itv :)

channel 4 +1 its nearly over:D wonder what the anti's stance on hunting zombies with dogs is, or would ya need a deer legal caliber

Advertisement