Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frontline to debate hunting issues in countryside (MOD NOTE #26)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I hope so - though I've often found the standard of debate on this show to be rather poor:(. It would be great to get someone who can eloquently highlight the benefit of hunting in terms of protecting irelands native wildlife etc.

Look for Tickets!!

And go on, you don't have to tell anybody you are going. I know plenty that were on the show in recent months.

The Audience is always loaded, and the people who ask Questions are in teh front row, but if you wait until they are talking to someone beside you that's how you will get to make your comment that was un rehearsed and they will not be expecting it. Liven the Plank up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

james4510 wrote: »
    You will find 90% of the people who are anti shooting etclive in the city

Who told you this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Look for Tickets!!

And go on, you don't have to tell anybody you are going. I know plenty that were on the show in recent months.

But I have a face for RADIO only!!:(;) - Seriously though I would go on if it wasn't for the fact that I'm tied up at work till late = so much for being self-employed with a shortage of cash and help:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Longranger wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity,who'll be speaking on behalf of the hunting community? Will they able to quieten this lot?

I hope the don't wheel out the same guys they had on The Frontline for the rise campaign.

But I have a face for RADIO only!!:(;) - Seriously though I would go on if it wasn't for the fact that I'm tied up at work till late = so much for being self-employed with a shortage of cash and help:(

I'm supposed to be studying for exams, with the brother on the ride on lawn mower outside, and the Boss from work just rang me on my Day off/Study leave to ask me some silly Question.

If you want to go on the frontline, you have to be there for nine, they have a few "scabby sandwiches" on arrival "no frills, and Instant coffee.

Except No Alcohol like on other RTE shows.
    Yer one the researcher will be on the front desk and if you're name is on the list you get in, if not you don't.

I've a headache from looking at revision notes and listening to recorded lectures.

Would love to be in the Audience and ask a few questions to these So called groups. If anyone goes there, the 4th Row seats are the best seats to be in to get your point across without having to play musical chairs. (anyone who was at the show will know what I mean by musical chairs)

Now behave lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

my god!!!BRILLIANT:D
    he seriously should be put forward for next elections ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I hope he's not on our side :eek:

johngalway wrote: »
    I hope he's not on our side :eek:

I reckon Sparks yerself and Irl connor should go!
    We need someone who speaks higher leaving cert English to be the main speaker and someone to clap on queue :)

Who ever goes needs to be clean cut, speak well and have a squeaky clean image.
    I'd send Pedro, except I don't know what he sounds like :confused:

I would go if it were not for the fact that I should be studying :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Thanks tack, but myself and IRLConor don't hunt! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

Christ I remember that one; laughed my hole off at it:D:D

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »

Yee could tell Johns stories and John could clap on queue and say here here, All though that Galway Brogue might work as part of a tag team effort.

Give yer wan Jo Smith a call, she works late so she might be able to squeeze yee in tonight.

You have been moderating on the hunting forum long enough so you should be able to string a couple of sentences together about "hunters you know", and then introduce John

a couple of hunded look at boards on any given occasion, but thousands view front line.

We need a few speakers "Just in case Bernie Wrong is on a high"

a couple of hunded look at boards on any given occasion, but thousands view front line.
    We have a few more than that watching here on any given day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

We need someone who speaks higher leaving cert English to be the main speaker and someone to clap on queue :)

Who ever goes needs to be clean cut, speak well and have a squeaky clean image.
    I'd send Pedro, except I don't know what he sounds like :confused:

I would go if it were not for the fact that don't meet the above description.

fyp:rolleyes::p:p

We have a few more than that watching here on any given day :pac:

Watching a myriad of threads, not a specific thread

You love a good debate, well go on The Frontline!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭.243

and right there lies the divide of support between hunters that shoot and plain shooters :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

.243 wrote: »
    and right there lies the divide of support between hunters that shoot and plain shooters :rolleyes:

I think it's plain that he meant he felt they wouldn't be suitable advocates as they might not know enough or might misrepresent something. Unless you're going to hire professional PR teams, you have to advocate your own position.

garv123 wrote: »
    fyp:rolleyes::p:p

Have not shaved in a week, spake proper is not my natur.
    And I was never big on English ;)

Of course the whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaterford accent would work well on RTE-FL ;)

Thats why I maintain that JG, IRL C, And Sparks should go, and Vegeta for that matter.
    That would be South West East and send one from the BMW region for good measure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭TippFan77

I hope so - though I've often found the standard of debate on this show to be rather poor:(. It would be great to get someone who can eloquently highlight the benefit of hunting in terms of protecting irelands native wildlife etc.

On this "benefit to hunting" idea...I often think it would be a good idea to define exactly waht we mean when we say hunting. In the USA, a man who goes shooting calls himself a hunter, and is referred to by most peopel as such. Here, he'd be called a shooter. In the USA a shooter is someone usually who's in a rifle club.

There's some confusion over this because you'd be surprised at how Americans think what many in Ireland call "hunting" is game shooting, whereas most Irish people think of hunting as foxhunting with hounds, maybe otter-hunting, stag hunting, or generally something not quite as acceptable as killing (more or less humanely) with a bullet or a sprinkling of lead.

In ancient times, man hunted and killed for his food, so I reckon all those who shoot "for the pot" should be termed hunters, and those who engage in chasing foxes or fox cubs with hounds, "digging out" etc, should be called something else, to avoid confusion. It's unfair in my view to lump in game shooting with those activities, as unfortunately anti-hunting campaigners occasionally do...

I shoot deer for the pot, Rabbits and deer for the farmer, and Foxes for hats;)

I always called myself a hunter. as I have to hunt down my prey. To me shooting is more target shooting.

Rough shooting is birds, waterfowling is duck geese.
    And varminting is anything that has open season that affects the farming community

I have shot almost every game and vermin/varmint species this island has to offer.

I would not be offended by Hunter or shooter as I also shoot targets occasionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

TippFan77 wrote: »
    On this "benefit to hunting" idea...I often think it would be a good idea to define exactly waht we mean when we say hunting.

I think everyone on this thread and this forum in general is pretty clear on what the noun (and occasional adjective) "hunting" means. So, no confusion here, really.
    In the USA, a man who goes shooting calls himself a hunter, and is referred to by most peopel as such. Here, he'd be called a shooter. In the USA a shooter is someone usually who's in a rifle club.

I'm not exactly sure what on earth you're talking about here.
    A hunter is a hunter is a person who carries out the act of hunting.
    A shooter is a shooter who carries out the act of shooting.
    Where's the confusion?

In the US (for whatever relevance it has to here and now), a Hunter is called a Hunter, just like here. The only people I know who call people who shoot "shooters" are actually shooters themselves - I've NEVER heard anyone outside of the hunting or shooting communities use that term TBH.

A hunter can be a shooter
    And a shooter can be a hunter

But neither of those two descriptions are mutually exclusive nor inclusive.
    There's some confusion over this because you'd be surprised at how Americans think what many in Ireland call "hunting" is game shooting, whereas most Irish people think of hunting as foxhunting with hounds, maybe otter-hunting, stag hunting, or generally something not quite as acceptable as killing (more or less humanely) with a bullet or a sprinkling of lead.

Again, I have to admit (that despite my reasonable command of the english language and a couple of attempts to elicit some sense out of your last post) I'm absolutely stumped as to figuring out WTF you are talking about? Confused? You bet I am!

You're the one introducing an element of confusion into the thread, where previously there was none.

At the risk of an accusation of "back-seat modding", you're heading a bit too close into the "morals of hunting" debate with that last paragraph too IMHO.
    In ancient times, man hunted and killed for his food, so I reckon all those who shoot "for the pot" should be termed hunters, and those who engage in chasing foxes or fox cubs with hounds, "digging out" etc, should be called something else, to avoid confusion. It's unfair in my view to lump in game shooting with those activities, as unfortunately anti-hunting campaigners occasionally do...

"Ancient Times"? Eh? When exactly were these ancient times? Prehistory? Early to Late Mesolithic? BCE? Early Medieval? Late Renaissance? or just back to Pre-Elizabethan? Ancient Times, my hairy left one....

Depends when these "ancient times" start and finish e.g. the Egyptians hunted lions (Nope, I don't think they ate them), the Romans hunted pretty much anything that moved (to extinction in some cases, and yes, whilst the Romans also would pretty much eat anything that moved, they didn't eat everything they hunted and killed), the Babylonians also hunted lion and mountain cat (and you guessed it, I don't think they ate them either). And before you ask, yes I was there, I'm currently in my 27th Incarnation at the moment.:D

Again, the only one in any form of confused state here seems to be your goodself....If you need to define, re-define, or categorise such activities which you mention above in some manner which leads you to a better understanding of hunting and shooting activities (and where the overlap might be), then by all means: make such categorisations for yourself......

I just don't think the rest of us need such "redefinitions" to know where we stand on these matters.

And your comment shows where mods here stand - damned if we do (you're no hunter, who gives you the right to oppress us like this) and damned if we don't (typical target shooter, doesn't care about hunters at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

And your comment shows where mods here stand - damned if we do (you're no hunter, who gives you the right to oppress us like this) and damned if we don't (typical target shooter, doesn't care about hunters at all).

Sparks, you just know us target shooters love hunters. They're so big and cuddly!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D.....But if one came into my garden.....well, dammit, they'd know what hit em (after I put on my jacket, sling, glove, got my mat out, adjusted my zero,).....oops where'd they go...... :)

(Lads, that's very much a joke!!!!! You may fire at will!)

The RTE webpage for this programme is now up:
    Is the survival of rural Ireland is at stake?
    Monday, 9 May 2011

All across RTÉ this week the Heart|Land series celebrates rural Ireland. And it is an Ireland that is changing and fast. Post offices, pubs, shops and marts are all closing down and there are plans afoot to amalgamate smaller schools. Tougher drink-driving laws, a ban on hunting and turf-cutting mean many in the countryside believe their way of life is under threat like never before. Are they right when they claim the very survival of rural Ireland is at stake?

Or is this just the farming lobby once again demanding special treatment which the country can now no longer afford? Is the demise of rural Ireland in fact greatly exaggerated? The agricultural sector supports 250,000 jobs and food exports are one of our few economic success stories. Should we be doing more to encourage the industry and save the way of life, and will we all regret it if we don’t?

Minister for Agriculture Simon Coveney will be joining us tonight along with audience members from all over the country. It promises to be a lively debate so please do tune in and if you have anything to add just post your comment below or email thefrontline@rte.ie.
    You can add comments or questions there and they might make it to the show...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

On this "benefit to hunting" idea...I often think it would be a good idea to define exactly waht we mean when we say hunting.

You mean divide the shooting community as a whole? So now "target Shooters" can sit back and say nothing bothers them as they do not hunt? Then allow those opposd to hunting to attack a smaller demographic? please.......... :rolleyes::confused:

I will never label myself to one category of shooting to make it more palatable for those that do not shoot. As i take part in most forms of shooting i do not need to don the "hunting" hat when out on a stalk, then the "target" hat when on the range. I know what i am, and do not feel the need to "justify" it to others.
    ............. most Irish people think of hunting as foxhunting with hounds, maybe otter-hunting, stag hunting,........

Have no idea where this came from. Otters have the highest level of protection, and not just under Irish law, but European directives also. Meaning it is an offence to shoot, trap, even interfere with their habitat.
    ....... or generally something not quite as acceptable as killing (more or less humanely) with a bullet or a sprinkling of lead.

See post #26.
    ........., and those who engage in chasing foxes or fox cubs with hounds, "digging out" etc, should be called something else,........

Refer to my first point.
    .............. to avoid confusion. It's unfair in my view to lump in game shooting with those activities, as unfortunately anti-hunting campaigners occasionally do...

I still do not adhere to this notion of "labeling". So others that have never, and will most likely never partake in shooting can easily identify me, and my preferences then choose to subject me to ridicule based on my "label". I think not.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

I'm wondering if there'll be much discussion on hunting at all. Sounds like there's a good few points to address and i'd imagine that pubs closing,drink driving and the fact that farmers all over the country are getting sh@t on by the govt will take centre stage...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Irish-Rural-Link/135038589882156

http://twitter.com/#!/rtefrontline

Might be of interest to some on here

Keep comments to 25 well chosen words if you want to try and ensure your comments are read out

Longranger wrote: »
    I'm wondering if there'll be much discussion on hunting at all. Sounds like there's a good few points to address and i'd imagine that pubs closing,drink driving and the fact that farmers all over the country are getting sh@t on by the govt will take centre stage...

I think you may be right - if Ming Flanagan is on and the subject of turf comes up, then that will take up half an hour for a start:pac:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

and John could clap on queue

You know that friends request I approved yesterday Tack...

:D

Hate to disappoint but I won't be watching never mind considering taking part. If it's anything like last time out it'll be a badly moderated rant fest that achieves SFA and is forgotten about withing minutes, or seconds if something better is on the other side.

I prefer to talk to people on here, or in person, or talk to/write to TD's etc. Catch more with honey than vinegar, and there's going to be a famine of one and a flood of the other on that programme.

Most of us will likely have had debates with more depth in the playground in 6th class.

• Advertisement

johngalway wrote: »
    :D

Hate to disappoint but I won't be watching never mind considering taking part. If it's anything like last time out it'll be a badly moderated rant fest that achieves SFA and is forgotten about withing minutes, or seconds if something better is on the other side.

s.

Yes - I find the Frontline rather tedious at the best of times and will probably just read people's comments on here in case anything vaguely interesting comes up!!

Advertisement