Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frontline to debate hunting issues in countryside (MOD NOTE #26)

Options
  • 08-05-2011 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

I understand RTE's Frontline will debate hunting as part of a wider debate on countryside issues tomorrow night (Monday). ARAN will represent the anti side. While I share ARAN's anti-hare coursing stance, I wouldn't be happy with its anti-shooting views.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Would they ever just fcuk off and get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Why do these types get so much media exposure?? - their clueless BS on hunting, shooting and the legal control of vermin species etc. actually damages the cause of legitimate welfare and conservational issues such as abandoned horses/dogs and the damage the likes of mink are doing to our native wildlife etc.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Why do these types get so much media exposure??

The squeakiest wheel gets most oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Oh well,looks like we can look forward to a week of antis coming on here and talking sh!te about things they haven't got a fu<&ing bulls notion about!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

and the damage the likes of mink are doing to our native wildlife etc.:mad:

Yeah i know they do keep taking those pheasants:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Longranger wrote: »
    Oh well,looks like we can look forward to a week of antis coming on here and talking sh!te about things they haven't got a fu<&ing bulls notion about!

A week? I thought that was the eternal problem. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Ah come on fodda, you suggesting mink are harmless?

homerhop wrote: »
    Ah come on fodda, you suggesting mink are harmless?

Somebody tell him:rolleyes:

enlighten me oh great one ;)

homerhop wrote: »
    enlighten me oh great one ;)

Pheasants arent native wildlife they are as much an alien species as mink are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I think he's refering to the fact the phesants arn't native species either homerhop!! but then again neither are rabbits, fallow, sika and muntjac deer or raccons!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Whats Aran?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Animal Rights Action Network

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Whats Aran?
    I always thought it was a few islands and a type of wooly jumper!! But back to the OP i suspect that the audience will consists largely of a number of urban types most of whom don't live anywhere near the countryside and those that do are not trying to earn a living from farming or keeping any form of livestock except maybe a pet poodle or cat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭james4510

You will find 90% of the people who are anti shooting etclive in the city and see a fox and think its cute and never see mink etc or see grey crows or magpies as pretty birds sure what harm could a little bird do???? Dont comment on something you have no idea about and get a hobbie. i agree on some points like fox hunting i agree a bird of prey or gun should be used and not let the dogs at them but vermin is vermin - i bet they wouldnt worry about killing the poor little mice or rats that had infested their home lol

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

how do these crusties get so much air time??? its been done to death recently, we've more important issues to be discussing ffs. i wont even bother watching tbh im sick of this debate at the moment. i'd rather take the russell out along a river for some rats:D

I know they are not native fodda, but I would much prefer to see a couple of 100 pheasants released on the countryside than a couple of 100 mink released, but seeing as the animal rights lot such as bernie wright seem to take great satisfaction seeing mink released but yet they are up on their band wagon with hell fire and brimstone about those of us who hunt. They dont see the work that some gun clubs do such as cleaning up ponds, creating nest sites for birds, preserving habitat such as wetlands both locally and internationally but then they like to see us all as baby eating monsters who just shoot everything in sight.

Homer is was a joke that's all.

tired and cranky take no notice of me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

another sh?t stirrin city reporter who NEEDS to improve his ratings or face getting the sack...decides to pick on 1 of the arguments that he knows will kick up a stir and get him those few extra credits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Why do these types get so much media exposure?
    If it bleeds, it leads. And they're very good at bleeding for the camera.
    The report.gif button is your friend...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

i quite enjoy some of the Aran rants that have taken place;)on here. Shows you that most of them dont have a clue:D Even the ones that have abit of a clue always seem to lose it and then get banned:rolleyes: Very comical

Sparks wrote: »
    If it bleeds, it leads. And they're very good at bleeding for the camera.The report.gif button is your friend...

And a busy friend it may turn out to be for many of us Sparks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Jo Smith

Researcher
    The Frontline
    RTÉ Current Affairs

Phone (01) 2083640
    Email josepha.smith@rte.ie

If you would like to be part of The Frontline audience, please email thefrontlineaudience@rte.ie or phone (01) 2082941.

She is a very nice girl with Glasses. Ring or mail her tomorrow for tickets

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

..........looks like we can look forward to a week of antis coming on here and talking sh!te .....

We are all entitled to talk a little s**t at times, but as the title of this post states, allow this to be a warning TO ALL. The very first mention of morality of hunting, hunting is wrong/evil, etc and there will be NO WARNINGS. The offending poster will have their post deleted and face infraction.

Hunting is not illegal, and the hunting forum (aswell as the shooting forum in general) is a forum dedicated and devoted to the free exchange of chat, debate, discussion, ideas, photos, etc without "fear" of reprisals, insults, abuse. So while others are free and welcome to come on here and post away NO-ONE can say they did not know the rules.
    Sparks wrote: »
    .The report.gif button is your friend...

+1.

In keeping with that and the above point please lads, DO NOT resort to returning insults. If there is a post thats offends or breaks any of the charter rules including the discussion on the moralty of shooting just report it and let the mods handle it. We (or probably just me) mostly have no lives (:D) so one of us will respond quick enough .

======================================================================================

On a personal note i do not believe the programme tomorrow will be of any significant importance. It will be sensationalist, and have parties from both sides arguing passionately. Then in a week or less it will be forgotten about until the next time some programme chief or reporter needs to fill some air time/column space. It was only a few months ago we had a multiple page thread on a similar topic from the same programme.

It has come up in the past and will continue to come up. :rolleyes:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

John "Streaker" Carmody,and his bevvy of nudie beauties...;)
    Or his smear Enda Kenny with bloody handprints in Cork PR stunt...
    Anyone with half a brain should be able to demolish this guy as a PR seeker and exhibitionist whose street acts are cogs off PETA and are as original a cheese sandwich.Well you know too why girls find "those kind" of guys arttactive???:);)
    After all their ARAN family consists of about 12 people most of them girls.
    This will be an emotive barrage from them and can be demolished by keeping cool and factual.

WHY are they getting air time??Simple...they are on the backfoot and stand to lose their gains of the Stag hunting ban!!Their main allies are gone[Greens],their only suporters are a inner city independant Trotty type woman who inherited Tony Gegory's seat,A TV documentary that they thought would just show "their" side of the story only,and didnt,which they now claim is "biased "It was a PR disaster for them as they encouraged all their members to watch it.

No one else is intrested in them in the Dail as we really have more important things on our plate than stag or foxhunting bans.Most people are more concerned with lack of jobs,putting food on the table and keeping a roof over their heads than this bunch of loopers with their agenda.Same like the delusional Green party who are planning a grand comback in the local elections in 2014..They just cant take a hint!!:rolleyes:

It has gone quiet ,so the shte must be stirred to keep this in the public eye.Let them to it...More rope to hang themselves and show that in the worst disaster to hit this country since Black47 there are these minority crackpots running around more concerned with a few deer or foxes than reality! Their impatience will ultimately destroy them.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Just out of curiosity,who'll be speaking on behalf of the hunting community? Will they able to quieten this lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    After all their ARAN family consists of about 12 people most of them girls.
    This will be an emotive barrage from them and can be demolished by keeping cool and factual.

WHY are they getting air time??Simple...they are on the backfoot and stand to lose their gains of the Stag hunting ban!!Their main allies are gone[Greens],their only suporters are a inner city independant Trotty type woman who inherited Tony Gegory's seat,A TV documentary that they thought would just show "their" side of the story only,and didnt,which they now claim is "biased "It was a PR disaster for them as they encouraged all their members to watch it.

No one else is intrested in them in the Dail as we really have more important things on our plate than stag or foxhunting bans.Most people are more concerned with lack of jobs,putting food on the table and keeping a roof over their heads than this bunch of loopers with their agenda.Same like the delusional Green party who are planning a grand comback in the local elections in 2014..They just cant take a hint!!:rolleyes:

It has gone quiet ,so the shte must be stirred to keep this in the public eye.Let them to it...More rope to hang themselves and show that in the worst disaster to hit this country since Black47 there are these minority crackpots running around more concerned with a few deer or foxes than reality! Their impatience will ultimately destroy them.

Lads why are we getting all wound up about this before it has even been aired.
    As Grizzly says,the anti's are on the back foot,big time.
    Look at the disaster that was "the truth about coursing" a few weeks ago.
    I would say that if there is anybody decent on Frontline tonight arguing for the "Hunting" side,the anti's will be shown up for what they are-slightly loony.
    Course,I might be wrong but I'm goin to watch the programme tonight with an open mind and an open steak sandwich !!

Vizzy wrote: »
    Lads why are we getting all wound up about this before it has even been aired.
    As Grizzly says,the anti's are on the back foot,big time.
    Look at the disaster that was "the truth about coursing" a few weeks ago.
    I would say that if there is anybody decent on Frontline tonight arguing for the "Hunting" side,the anti's will be shown up for what they are-slightly loony.
    Course,I might be wrong but I'm goin to watch the programme tonight with an open mind and an open steak sandwich !!

+1 on the steak sandwich! I'll have mine bloody please:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Vizzy wrote: »
    !!

I hope so - though I've often found the standard of debate on this show to be rather poor:(. It would be great to get someone who can eloquently highlight the benefit of hunting in terms of protecting irelands native wildlife etc.

Advertisement