Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i think it auto adjusts the graphics quality based on your connection? so it might look great for a few minutes, then if you get a lag spike or something the quality might drop a little on your end until your connection gets better?
    not really sure how onlive works but I think that's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Is it worth getting this on PC?

Played skyrim and enjoyed it,is this similar?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I tried playing the Witcher 1 before but my PC nearly had a heart attack. I'm actually thinking of dropping the 10 bucks to give this a go on OnLive. Since I will be streaming the game from a server, can I presume I will be playing on highest graphics settings?

It is a compressed 720p stream essentially. Pretty good article on how it works here. It is from 2010 but I would imagine that onlive is still operating in broadly the same manner although they it is probbale that they have made advances in picture quality in the interm.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-onlive-article?page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭mhairt

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Hey bro, what program do i need to install to use this?

You need Pinnacle Game Profiler. Great program.
    http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/

The witcher is only $5 on gog at the moment

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

dan_ep82 wrote: »

It's a fantastic game. Less open world then Skyrim, and more of a focus on the story, but it's equally enjoyable (if not more so).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

dan_ep82 wrote: »

Yes get it for the PC, better graphics and frame rate than the 360 if your system is good enough.

It's not open world like Skyrim but it's not as linear as Dragon Age. In Skyrim you can keep playing after you finish the story but with this you can't. TW2 is a darker game, it's what Dragon Age 2 should have been.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_witcher

god damn, 5 dollars

buy it now even if you dont have a pc, you might grab one in a couple of years and then you can play it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

This game is amazing, I wasnt five minutes in and I had a hairy molly and nipples :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

This game is amazing, I wasnt five minutes in and I had a hairy molly and nipples :pac:

I haven't seem witcher 2 on my new pc, I wonder if I will have more poligons on Triss's nipples? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I tried playing the Witcher 1 before but my PC nearly had a heart attack. I'm actually thinking of dropping the 10 bucks to give this a go on OnLive. Since I will be streaming the game from a server, can I presume I will be playing on highest graphics settings?

They play fine once you have a reasonable connection. For a game like this that is at a slower pace its the right job. Pro evo it struggled with to be fair.

But you are getting 200 games for a tenner for the month. Plenty of older PC classics that will run on a average machine. I'm in the same boat my laptop struggles with any game bar point and click adventures but can run Arkham city at a pretty solid rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Bought both for 15 quid over the weekend from Steam/G2play

Only played a few minutes of the 1st one, looking forward to playing them after reading these threads.

So how did the console people finding witcher 2? Or is it out for consoles only on Friday?

So how did the console people finding witcher 2? Or is it out for consoles only on Friday?

Finest looking game Ive seen on the Xbox, also the gameplay is fantastic. Coupled with fantastic vioce work this is a game any RPG fan or anyone who simply likes a good yarn should buy.
    Im only a few hours in but its a great game so far and well worth the 50 quid admission.

Finest looking game Ive seen on the Xbox, also the gameplay is fantastic. Coupled with fantastic vioce work this is a game any RPG fan or anyone who simply likes a good yarn should buy.
    Im only a few hours in but its a great game so far and well worth the 50 quid admission.

Tip: get drunk with blue stripes. One of the best quests ( if you can call it ) in history of gaming. :)

Tip: get drunk with blue stripes. One of the best quests ( if you can call it ) in history of gaming. :)

That's one quest i'm going to miss on my next playthrough, as i want to go down the other path. Hopefully there's something as fun on their side.

Kiith wrote: »
    That's one quest i'm going to miss on my next playthrough, as i want to go down the other path. Hopefully there's something as fun on their side.

surely its in chapter 1? it wont change anything in the end of chapter 1 no matter what side you take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Encountered a few game breaking bugs very early on, hope the rest is not like that. Be very careful with saves.

Thankfully it's autosave system uses 3 saves on the xbox version at least. I had 2 of my own saves too.

The first bug was during the tutorial, it just would not let my throw the bombs, reloaded and it worked fine.

The next was when you go to the temple during the prologue, you have to kill some guards get a key and open the gate for the others, I let the guards chase me inside and killed them there and got the key and turned the wheel which I had no idea what it was for at the time, only when I back out did I get a prompt to open the gate, so back in I went but it would not let me press A to spin it again :mad: Thnaks to the autosaves I only lost 10 minutes, but I lost and nice lance type weapon that was on a weapon rack, loot seems to be random?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Man the Witcher series is my definitive gaming experience. The first one was incredible the second was like :eek: Tempted to pick EE for the 360 and give it a lash through again and side with old pointy ears.

How I wish CDR would do a Game of Thrones game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Stev_o wrote: »
    Man the Witcher series is my definitive gaming experience. The first one was incredible the second was like :eek: Tempted to pick EE for the 360 and give it a lash through again and side with old pointy ears.

How I wish CDR would do a Game of Thrones game.

You know you get the EE for free on the PC if you own the game already?

for some stupid reasonn I deleted the witcher 2 install files a while ago, dont know what I was thinking. have to download the entire 15 gigs now on my 3 meg connection :/
    I just hope the 15 gigs im downloading already includes the EE stuff and I dont have to download another 10 gigs on top of this

• Advertisement

installing it now from my boxed copy. i bough collectors edition back then :D. dont know if i will have a chance to play today though, gtg to bed soon. :( fecking work tomorrow!

i dont know if Ill even play much of it in the coming weeks, exams in may and trials evolution tomorrow.. but I just want to have it installed, should the mood strike me

I just hope the 15 gigs im downloading already includes the EE stuff and I dont have to download another 10 gigs on top of this

Not 100% sure, but i think you might be out of luck. I don't have a working dvd drive atm, and so i went to downloa it and it was around 14gb for the original game. There was an additional 10gb for the EE stuff. So i'm pretty sure its around 24gb to download the lot.

This wasn't from their site though, so maybe it's different there?

i doubt it, i remember the download being huge when I bought it. just at the time I had 50 meg so I actually enjoyed watching the download progress :)

10 gig for an update though... that's pretty incredible

Just installed from the disc and it is downloading 10gb now... ouch!

I just finished me play for today, Amazing game! I think i might buy part one and shelve this for the time being.

Downloaded just 1 gb so far. Will resume tommorow. :(

I just finished me play for today, Amazing game! I think i might buy part one and shelve this for the time being.

five dollars on gog.com

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

8 on steam of enchanced directors cut if that actually means anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Remember if your playing The Witcher expect the same response you'd get from playing Mass Effect if you only started with Mass Effect 2, you'll find a lot of things out dated and the combat is pants compared to 2. But it does have one of the best modern RPG stories even with a generic opening.

Advertisement