Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I never managed to finish the first one; I fired it up the other day after seeing this thread and pottered around for a little while to get back into things. Then I remembered why I stopped: the tedious & elongated fetch quests. Urrgh. A beautiful, atmospheric game, but god there's so much filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

pixelburp wrote: »
    I never managed to finish the first one; I fired it up the other day after seeing this thread and pottered around for a little while to get back into things. Then I remembered why I stopped: the tedious & elongated fetch quests. Urrgh. A beautiful, atmospheric game, but god there's so much filler.

I think you made mistake, it's not zelda it's witcher m8...

Yeah there are kill x monsters, but those are optional jobs. Usually simple quest can be very important. You see details in npc houses, which are not just enviroment, but clues etc. not paying attention can bite you in the arse. That's why witcher is so cool game, it constantly test you and make you think and take responsibility for your actions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thanks for the tip m8, not sure why you think to bring up Zelda, or that I was somehow baffled by the game's complexity. Oh my poor ickle head. :rolleyes: :D

Yes it had a deep, fairly engaging plot, but the actual sidequests were often tedious in the extreme; spent about 25 hours on the game, with a large portion of that spent trekking across the map areas for sidequests. Intentionally putting your quest objectives at the furthest point away from the quest-giver isn't clever, it was just frustration & bad game design imo. Wrapping it in more layers of the plot doesn't make it more satisfying tbh.

The game was great for the storyline, characters & all-around world building (one of the few RPG worlds that felt like it could exist), but the actual gameplay was pretty ropey in places. Some streamlining wouldn't have gone amiss (Which maybe #2 did, I dunno)

pixelburp wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip m8, not sure why you think to bring up Zelda, or that I was somehow baffled by the game's complexity. Oh my poor ickle head. :rolleyes: :D

Yes it had a deep, fairly engaging plot, but the actual sidequests were often tedious in the extreme; spent about 25 hours on the game, with a large portion of that spent trekking across the map areas for sidequests. Intentionally putting your quest objectives at the furthest point away from the quest-giver isn't clever, it was just frustration & bad game design imo. Wrapping it in more layers of the plot doesn't make it more satisfying tbh.

The game was great for the storyline, characters & all-around world building (one of the few RPG worlds that felt like it could exist), but the actual gameplay was pretty ropey in places. Some streamlining wouldn't have gone amiss (Which maybe #2 did, I dunno)

Skyrim players get sent out all over the world in to generic dungeons to meet cardvboard cutout characters :) . I better run a bit in witcher while being surrounded by life world, then what skyrim offers :)

If you haven't played witcher 2, then go get it. It's great great great. Last part of the of the game can be a bit dissapointing, buf the rest of the game is solid. I will need to replay it again, when I a finished with witcher 1. :D

Skyrim players get sent out all over the world in to generic dungeons to meet cardvboard cutout characters :) . I better run a bit in witcher while being surrounded by life world, then what skyrim offers :)

If you haven't played witcher 2, then go get it. It's great great great. Last part of the of the game can be a bit dissapointing, buf the rest of the game is solid. I will need to replay it again, when I a finished with witcher 1. :D
    At least Skryim let you choose to auto-travel to those locations - the distances are shorter in Witcher, but god when it started getting me to continuously backtrack across the same random lake (to and from some swamps iirc), and having to repeat the same dialogue with a ferryman over & over, that's when I said fook it. Bad game design is bad game design imo.

Anyway - Witcher 2. Might do, though not sure my PC could handle it if I'm honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I wasn't the biggest fan of The Witcher, but the 2nd one is fantastic. A much better game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Two of the best modern day RPG's imo, nothing even comes close to them. Witcher 1's story is a master piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I just checked STEAM there, was trying to remember what I had played of it and why I stopped.
    Only gave it 18 mins :o , another game must have come out or I reinstalled Windows or something, will deff give it another go this week.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Didn't want to make a new thread so found this one!

I'm finding Skyrim a bit too big a scope; like the only RPGs I've ever played is Zelda, Fable and maybe Diablo 2 an ice age ago. Like about as much upgrading i'm used to is like out of Dead Space...! Anyway i feel a bit 'left to my own devices' and i've no idea what i'm doing (i'd like a few different skill trees to upgrade, not 25 or so!) -- even if (say, pickpocketing and other stuff) opened out later it'd be a vast improvement so i have a better idea......I'm looking for something smaller in scope; similar but more tightly scripted.

So i remembered.......i think it was Shadowhearth who recommended Witcher 2 instead. I've a couple q's about Witcher 2 :

How long is the game?
    is there joypad support? (deal breaker for me, i'm a new pc gamer)
    Is it open world or a defined path to go through?
    How big is the skill trees and that kind of thing?
    Are there cutscenes?
    Pros and Cons when relating to Skyrim?

cheers :)

I am not at home now, but when I'll be back I'll give ya all the answers. Hopefully 20 mins ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Someone else can answer the rest but there is native joypad support.

jaykhunter wrote: »

I'm finding Skyrim a bit too big a scope; like the only RPGs I've ever played is Zelda, Fable and maybe Diablo 2 an ice age ago. Like about as much upgrading i'm used to is like out of Dead Space...! Anyway i feel a bit 'left to my own devices' and i've no idea what i'm doing (i'd like a few different skill trees to upgrade, not 25 or so!) -- even if (say, pickpocketing and other stuff) opened out later it'd be a vast improvement so i have a better idea......I'm looking for something smaller in scope; similar but more tightly scripted.

So i remembered.......i think it was Shadowhearth who recommended Witcher 2 instead. I've a couple q's about Witcher 2 :

How long is the game?
    Are there cutscenes?

1.Think the game is about 18 hours or so probably a bit longer depends on if you do side quests.

2. Yes it does though I personally haven't used one, the game lends itself to mouse and keyboard.

3. It's a zone based RPG it's not a open world, generally your giving a location and a number of quests to do in that zone and then you move on. The zones themselves can be quite large.

4. Skill Tree is quite critical if you do a bad build you ll probably struggle.

5. Yes and some of the best story telling by a western RPG probably in the history of the genre.

6. Really Skyrim and Witcher share nothing more then being dubbed RPG's, like comparing apples and oranges.

Honestly for me the first Witcher was my favourite RPG ever made, then Witcher 2 blew things out of the water for me. The ending your either going to love or hate.

How long is the game?
    Are there cutscenes?

how long: Very long, i did it in 25hours and i was on hasty side, if you will do it properly, you can be stuck there for freaking ages. then there is very important thing. in the end of chapter 1 you will have to choose. trust it, it will be a hard choice m8. now from that moment on your game completely changes. and i mean it does not changes as just a few dialogs down the line, no, you will be on the other side of war. so after chapter 1 you got 2 separate games.
    is it open world? Its not as open as skyrim, but it is not a liniar game. where skyrim takes you with quantity, witcher takes you with quality with a capital Q.
    complexity: well, its not hard to jump in and start. skill trees are easy to understand, but other stuff might be a bit tricky. thought its not a rocket science.
    cutscenes: there are a few, but game it self very cinematic and reeks with quality and visuals. This game is going to push your rig m8. Its most beautiful game last year.

pros and cons:

just go get witcher before i put a cap in your arse. are we clear?

Stev_o wrote: »
    1.Think the game is about 18 hours or so probably a bit longer depends on if you do side quests.

2. Yes it does though I personally haven't used one, the game lends itself to mouse and keyboard.

3. It's a zone based RPG it's not a open world, generally your giving a location and a number of quests to do in that zone and then you move on. The zones themselves can be quite large.

4. Skill Tree is quite critical if you do a bad build you ll probably struggle.

5. Yes and some of the best story telling by a western RPG probably in the history of the genre.

6. Really Skyrim and Witcher share nothing more then being dubbed RPG's, like comparing apples and oranges.

Honestly for me the first Witcher was my favourite RPG ever made, then Witcher 2 blew things out of the water for me. The ending your either going to love or hate.

well ending was a bit... crap... lets be honest... and not that how it wraps up the story, but just how last chapter felt. Even so, its still my GOTY.

i will need to install it again, i newer got around to check out new quest added. enchanched edition is coming out in april too. free for pc people!

i love cd project red!

thanks guys. What's this Enhanced Edition? Should i hold out for that? Also where'd be the cheapest play to buy it - i looked in brick and mortar stores today and couldn't find it :mad: gog? steam?

wow, this end of chapter one thing sounds pretty amazing and 25 hours + side quests sounds much more doable. i'll have to play it :)

thanks guys. What's this Enhanced Edition? Should i hold out for that? Also where'd be the cheapest play to buy it - i looked in brick and mortar stores today and couldn't find it :mad: gog? steam?

wow, this end of chapter one thing sounds pretty amazing and 25 hours + side quests sounds much more doable. i'll have to play it :)

i would get it on gog just because all the money will go to developer. though check the prices online, it should be around 20eu.

now this will blow your mind, but witcher was giving the upgrades and DLC for free to all pc people. yes, that stuff that other charge you a **** load money for, cd project red gives for free. so now with enhanced edition which is coming out for xbox 360, will be an free upgrade to all pc game owners. yup, free too.

so there is no point to hold out m8. just go and find best deal online to take that awesome game!

It's the most up to date version of the game with added content. It generally tends to be the best version of the game.

Ha well that will depend on how well you engage with the story and like your writing/characters.

It's not out yet but if you buy the game for the PC you'll get a free download next month sometime to upgrade.

alright alright i'm buying it! :) GOG and Steam are €40 though. Any other sites i can check for better prices? I mean for download, I see it for ~20 on play. Dunno if i can wait ~2 weeks to play it!

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

The Enhanced Edition that gets released next month adds 3 to 4 hours of extra content via side missions and cutscenes. There's supposed to be 30 - 40 mins more of those.

I think the extra content is going into Chapter 3.

It's an excellent game with incredible visuals. The storytelling and characters are top notch and I love the improvements they made to the combat system from the first one. I died many times but long I played the better I got with the combat system.

It's a game that will offer you two play-through's at least due to the choices you can make in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

alright alright i'm buying it! :) GOG and Steam are €40 though. Any other sites i can check for better prices? I mean for download, I see it for ~20 on play. Dunno if i can wait ~2 weeks to play it!

Gamestop.ie have it listed for €24. It's the premium edition too with some extra content like the soundtrack and game guide.

http://www.gamestop.ie/36305_PC_The_Witcher_2_Assassins_Of_Kings_Premium_Edition.aspx

You might need to email them and check they actually have it though. They've been known to list games as in stock on older titles and then not fulfill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

It should show up on sale during the Steam Easter Sales but that would also involve waiting.

CD Projekt Red are giving away a "legendary" PC RPG for free on GOG.com today. They have a press conference at 5pm gmt, and anyone who bought The Witcher 2 will get whatever it is for free. Probably just The Witcher 1, but i'm still hoping it's Witcher 1, in the Witcher 2 engine :P

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-02-witcher-dev-giving-away-legendary-pc-rpg-free-on-gog-com-on-thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I cant wait for this to be out on Xbox.

Kiith wrote: »
    CD Projekt Red are giving away a "legendary" PC RPG for free on GOG.com today. They have a press conference at 5pm gmt, and anyone who bought The Witcher 2 will get whatever it is for free. Probably just The Witcher 1, but i'm still hoping it's Witcher 1, in the Witcher 2 engine :P

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-02-witcher-dev-giving-away-legendary-pc-rpg-free-on-gog-com-on-thursday

TW1 would be kind of disappointing, as a very large number of people who own TW2 will also own TW1.

Live stream here. Actually looks really good on the 360.

http://www.gog.com/news/spring_conference

Holy ****, 10GB update for the PC!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Fallout! F*ing awesome!!!

humanji wrote: »
    Fallout! F*ing awesome!!!

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The free game they're giving away to celebrate.

Advertisement