Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 'improvers' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Now I'm worried that psychologically quitting at 17.6 shows a risk for the marathon. I think since that pace is PMP maybe i went too fast. After all that rambling I guess my question is how would you feel? Just put it down to a bad run or what?

Way too fast!

If you're targetting 3:50 you should be running your LSR's at 9:25 - 9:40 pace, some of the more advanced programmes have paced long runs but they generally grow to around 18/20 miles with 14/15 @ pace and there's only a handful in the program.

If you keep running full speed you'll burn yourself out! On the positive side take heart that you're at a level where you can run almost 18 miles @ MP so you'll make 3:50 handy enough I predict.

Put it down to a clerical error, follow the program guidelines and you'll have a great day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Hi I'm following Hal Higdon Intermediate 1 for my second marathon and my training has been good to date. I'm aiming for 3:50 and feel my training is on course. I did DCM 2 years ago with a similar goal, blew up after 14 miles and came home in 4:14, was happy enough but know I can go faster.

As I said training is good and my race times are good, 10mile 76 mins & half 1:43. My problem is I'm just in from my LSR which was due to be 18 but I had planned 20 (as I felt my weakness last time was not enough 20 miles), first 12 were fine but started to feel wrecked at 13 and finished at 17.6 miles in 2:33. I felt a bit sick so didn't want to push.

Now I'm worried that psychologically quitting at 17.6 shows a risk for the marathon. I think since that pace is PMP maybe i went too fast. After all that rambling I guess my question is how would you feel? Just put it down to a bad run or what?

Thanks

I think this is the culprit. Normally would not suggest more than 15 miles at MP anything more at that pace and you are compromising your overall training with the recovery that is needed. You also need to factor in the weather. Today was a very windy day in most parts and your pace should reflect this especially when you are entering more steady state paces.

Rememeber come race day your body should feel fresh from taper and this should make a big difference in running either longer or quicker than you did in training easier as your legs dont have the heaviness they would have in your specific training phrase.

Dont let this affect your confidence as I think you are well on track for your target.

Normally with my athletes their last Long run before taper is a 15 mile MP. By this stage they have many 20+ miles in their legs so the distance is an after thought its the pace that is the only worry and if they can tackle 15 miles MP straight normally I feel they are well able to hit that pace for the full (after a taper)

Focus on time on your feet over the next few weeks alternating between including PMP miles every other week in the long run. Remember Long Easy runs have a place in your training just as much as PMP miles

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Plan was to head out for 20 miles with 6 miles slow and 14 miles at PMP today.

Did longford half @ 7.38 pace and my last PMP on my own was 16 miles with 6 slow and 10 @ 7.58 which was grand.

Last week my long run fell apart due to few things that i put down to tirness from longford and new runners too small.

This week went really well, 2 good 10 mile runs(8.57 and 8.30 pace) and a great tempo where i felt i could do 17 fast miles instead of 7 @ 7.38 pace.

So did the first 6 miles slow. Started the 14 miles for PMP and after 2 miles my legs were dead and felt like breaking in half. Did a further 2 miles at PMP and decided just to run the distance but at 11 miles legs were gone. They really feel like breaking in half.

4 weeks now since long run over 13 miles, but there was a 10 mile race and half marathon race @7.38 pace for two of those weeks.

Can i get advice from people on whats going on or am i right in starting to think my marathon is over if i dont get a 20 mile in next weekend. My plan time is 3.39.

I have done 2 marathons in the past, a 4:07 and 3:47 but in Dublin.

Also i have done a good few LSR's before this with a 20 miler before the 10 mile race. So i have put the training in. This is why it hurts it more, in that i have done the training.

Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

mod note - I'm trying to keep all the marathon training questions into these three logs

Hi Raycun;

If i dont get many responses can we move it then to the normal forum, as maybe the lads with the knowledge not running dublin might not read this thread and need feedback pretty badly.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hi Raycun;

If i dont get many responses can we move it then to the normal forum, as maybe the lads with the knowledge not running dublin might not read this thread and need feedback pretty badly.

Thanks

what was your weekly mileage like bfore todays run? Do you normally run that much mileage in a week? would you normally do 2 fastish 10 milers midweek?

20 w/14 @PMP sounds like a very tough session. P&D only go as far as 18 w/14. Just chalk it down as a bad run and try again.

10 miler on monday would be normal.
    10 miler on thursday was maybe a little bit faster, we learn sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just reading your log, you did a 10 miler on monday, tuesday(w 7 tempo) and thursday. Thats 3 medium long runs in a week. If you're not used to it that'll take it out of you. Trying to do 50 miles in 4 runs over 6 days is a lot (especially when 20+ of them are at either tempo or marathon pace).

Trying to cover 50 miles in a week is good, but you should try to do it over 5/6 runs and at least 2 of them should be easy/recovery runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

You have had 3 hard runs in the last month. 2 back to back races Farnk Duffy 10 and Longford Half, and the a 20 miler with 14 @ PMP.

I have experienced this before its your body telling you to give it a break. Some slow easy runs are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I am all over the place with my training. Last year I did Hal Higdon Intermediate 2 for a crack at a sub 4 in Connemara. I did all my runs at around 9.45/10 minute pace and I felt I cracked on the day trying to hold a faster pace then I was used to, came in at around 4.17

This year I am trying to remedy this and I am doing the Furman plan. I am finding the long runs hit or miss. My McMillian time gives me a 3.21 off my ten mile time. I dont think I can do this so I decided to bring the training paces back for a 3.30 which I am having huge doubts about also now.

I have held the MP+10 for a 15 mile stint last week but I cracked badly yesterday trying to hold an easy pace of 8.24 progression run for 18 miles.

My question is - I am burying myself every weekend with these long runs fighting hard to hold the pace from mile 10 on - I really only want to break sub 4 comfortably but I dont want to undersell myself either. Should I try and continue with the 3.30 plan for as long as I can and drop it for say 3.45 on the day if I don't think I can do it or should I drop the 3.30 plan now and put the pace down for say a 3.45 marathon which I would take gladly.

My recovery is quick - the long runs aren't effecting my midweek tempo runs or anything like that. I am holding all of them comfortably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Catweazle - I just did a quick google on the Furman plan - it seems to be advocating 3 runs a week plus 2 hard cross training sessions. Is this what you're doing? Can you possibly provide a link to the plan you're following or give us a summary of what you have done?

Without knowing any more my guess is that the relatively small amount of running in the plan would tend towards making the long runs a little bit harder to complete. As a general rule I wouldn't be killing myself in any individual run but if I was only doing 3 runs a week I might change my mind :). If there are any guidelines on effort in your plan then I'd follow them and let the pace look after itself.

Clearlier wrote: »
    Catweazle - I just did a quick google on the Furman plan - it seems to be advocating 3 runs a week plus 2 hard cross training sessions. Is this what you're doing? Can you possibly provide a link to the plan you're following or give us a summary of what you have done?

If there are any guidelines on effort in your plan then I'd follow them and let the pace look after itself.

Thanks Clearlier I might not have explained this as well as I should, the times are pulled from Furmans prescribed times for my current 5k pb which matches up with a 10 miler I did last year, with me only coming into DCM training late after tri season I couldnt do the Furman 18 week plan so I did the Runners World 12 week plan here which has only two key runs a week

The reason for the 3 run a weeks is that I am more into triathlons and I thought this would give me more time to swim and cycle - with an eye on next year as well. With tri season over though I am concentrating on the marathon running so I am heading out at least 5 times a week, those two key sessions a hill running session and some easy runs of about 5/6 miles on the other days.

catweazle wrote: »
    Thanks Clearlier I might not have explained this as well as I should, the times are pulled from Furmans prescribed times for my current 5k pb which matches up with a 10 miler I did last year, with me only coming into DCM training late after tri season I couldnt do the Furman 18 week plan so I did the Runners World 12 week plan here which has only two key runs a week

The reason for the 3 run a weeks is that I am more into triathlons and I thought this would give me more time to swim and cycle - with an eye on next year as well. With tri season over though I am concentrating on the marathon running so I am heading out at least 5 times a week, those two key sessions a hill running session and some easy runs of about 5/6 miles on the other days.

Thanks for the links Cat, it does make it a lot clearer.

First a couple of thoughts on that article. It was written in 2004 by Scott Douglas and references Renato Canova, Brad Hudson and a couple of others I haven't heard of. Scott Douglas was co-author with Pete Pfitzinger of a very popular book called Advanced Marathoning. I've known lots of people who have had lots of success with it. Importantly it advocates the exact opposite to this training plan and goes down what was called the traditional route. Renato Canova is an Italian coaching in Kenya. He's had huge success and regularly posts on a site called letsrun.com. He talks about a key difference between Kenyan and European/American children being the amount of running they do. He makes the point that Kenyan's will have thousands of hours/miles more running as a young adult than any equivalent western person. Brad Hudson trained Dathan Ritzenhein for several years (before he left for one successful season with Alberto Salazar and then constant injuries). He had Ritzenhein averaging well over 100mpw (think it was 130 - 140 but not sure).

Take what I've written above and then note that this article suggests that you need to be running at least 20-30 mpw before starting this. You sure do - actually you'd need to be running at least double this and ideally treble or quadruple it. It's the classic example of why performances stagnated in the US and Europe during the 90's at long distance events. Everybody looking for a quick and easy way to get results :(. Fundamentally that's why you're finding it difficult to do the hard runs - they're designed more for somebody doing highish mileage.

I'm going to make a couple of suggestions that you should feel absolutely free to ignore :D. At the end of the day this is your marathon.
    All the above should give a little background and perhaps some insight in to why I suggest what I'm going to suggest. One caveat to note is that I have no experience of how triathlete training influences marathon training. I'm going to assume that you have an advantage from a cardiovascular point of view and that you're less likely to get injured because you'll have a stronger all round body but I could be totally wrong - it's just what seems logical to me.

Right now if I've got it right your training is: 2 sessions from the plan you linked to, 1 hills session and 2 easy runs of about 5 or 6 miles. There's 7 weeks to go which is cutting it tight but if you can taper agressively (only you know how agressively you can taper) it should give you just about enough time to get one serious cycle of improvement in. Given your current training and your tri background I'm going to assume that you can absorb three harder runs per week. If you can't then just do two of them - there's no point in being extremely fit and injured at the start of a marathon :).

I think that you need to move towards a plan that continues the long run, changes the 2nd session to alternating weeks of longer marathon pace and tempo runs and most importantly adds in a longer run during the week. I'd drop the hills - not because they're not a good training tool but because you'll get more out of other sessions and Dublin isn't hilly so there's no need for specific hill training.

Long runs: If you can manage them I'd continue with the suggestions that the plan outlines with the caveat that you can start off slowly. They suggest a pace of MP + 10%. For the first 5 miles I'd just jog along at a comfortable pace before picking it up to something close to their suggestion. Also, if the longest runs look like they're going to take more than 3 hours cut them short at 3 hours and don't make them progressive (in their definition of the word progressive). Don't do the half marathon race or if you absolutely must then do it at marathon pace with a few miles to warm up and a couple to warm down

Tempo/Marathon pace runs: I'd get rid of the gap between the sections i.e. instead of 3*2miles with 0.5 steady in between just do 6 miles straight with a couple to warm up and another 1 or 2 to warm down. Do a 5 mile/10k race a couple of weeks out instead of one of these sessions.

Longer midweek run: Do this by time. Start at 90 mins this week and get to 120 mins as soon as you can. Stay there until you start tapering. Go at whatever pace you feel like. After a few weeks of these the long runs will become easier.

Other runs: Where and whenever you can but always very easy and don't let them impact the above three type of runs.

N.B. I'm suggesting some pretty agressive changes to your training load here because I think that you're probably not likely to get injured. I wouldn't recommend it for many and it's important that you interpret the suggestions in the way that works best for you. Also, if you haven't had an easier week yet you'll have to put one in somewhere.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

Originally Posted by average_runner
    "Last week my long run fell apart due to few things that i put down to tirness from longford and new runners too small."
    I have suffered since Longford as well - I managed 38 Mile total the week after but I really struggled to do 13 mile on the Sunday when I was targetting 18 mile so I took a the weekdays off last week and tried for 20 miles on the Sat but had to give up after 10 mile - The days off made me feel lame and I was struggling from the off - I did 10 km on the Sunday but felt tired - I only have one 15 miler in and I am doing the Dublin half on Saturday though I have decided to go for 2hour marathon pace rather than trying to push for 1:50 - I only have 1 week then to try and get a long run in before the Athlone 3/4 - I am running out of weeks to get some high mileage LSR's in - which is worrying

JimH - It might be worth your while running 5 directly before the half as a kind of an extended warm up. Turn the race into part of a long run. It's always better to run the extra miles beforehand if possible because unless you have a will or iron you'll bail on the extra miles afterwards :D

Thanks very much for taking the time to write such a detailed response Clearlier, its much appreciated.

Thanks for the links Cat, it does make it a lot clearer.

First a couple of thoughts on that article. It was written in 2004 by Scott Douglas and references Renato Canova, Brad Hudson and a couple of others I haven't heard of. Scott Douglas was co-author with Pete Pfitzinger of a very popular book called Advanced Marathoning. I've known lots of people who have had lots of success with it. Importantly it advocates the exact opposite to this training plan and goes down what was called the traditional route. Renato Canova is an Italian coaching in Kenya. He's had huge success and regularly posts on a site called letsrun.com. He talks about a key difference between Kenyan and European/American children being the amount of running they do. He makes the point that Kenyan's will have thousands of hours/miles more running as a young adult than any equivalent western person. Brad Hudson trained Dathan Ritzenhein for several years (before he left for one successful season with Alberto Salazar and then constant injuries). He had Ritzenhein averaging well over 100mpw (think it was 130 - 140 but not sure).

Take what I've written above and then note that this article suggests that you need to be running at least 20-30 mpw before starting this. You sure do - actually you'd need to be running at least double this and ideally treble or quadruple it. It's the classic example of why performances stagnated in the US and Europe during the 90's at long distance events. Everybody looking for a quick and easy way to get results :(. Fundamentally that's why you're finding it difficult to do the hard runs - they're designed more for somebody doing highish mileage.

I do have some milage behind me, I did well over 1000 miles last year and I am not far off hitting 1000 miles for this year in the next week or two. Running was mainly for a 1/2 Ironman in July so around 13 miles long run every weekend since January, but all ran at a relatively easy pace, coming home around the 1.55 mark for 1/2 marathon pace

I'm going to make a couple of suggestions that you should feel absolutely free to ignore :D. At the end of the day this is your marathon.
    All the above should give a little background and perhaps some insight in to why I suggest what I'm going to suggest. One caveat to note is that I have no experience of how triathlete training influences marathon training. I'm going to assume that you have an advantage from a cardiovascular point of view and that you're less likely to get injured because you'll have a stronger all round body but I could be totally wrong - it's just what seems logical to me.

You are right I have been lucky touch wood and have had no injury problems.

Right now if I've got it right your training is: 2 sessions from the plan you linked to, 1 hills session and 2 easy runs of about 5 or 6 miles. There's 7 weeks to go which is cutting it tight but if you can taper agressively (only you know how agressively you can taper) it should give you just about enough time to get one serious cycle of improvement in. Given your current training and your tri background I'm going to assume that you can absorb three harder runs per week. If you can't then just do two of them - there's no point in being extremely fit and injured at the start of a marathon :).

I have never felt much of a benefit from tapering yet plus I am prone to high bouts of taper madness so the less tapering I can get away with the better

I think that you need to move towards a plan that continues the long run, changes the 2nd session to alternating weeks of longer marathon pace and tempo runs and most importantly adds in a longer run during the week. I'd drop the hills - not because they're not a good training tool but because you'll get more out of other sessions and Dublin isn't hilly so there's no need for specific hill training.

Long runs: If you can manage them I'd continue with the suggestions that the plan outlines with the caveat that you can start off slowly. They suggest a pace of MP + 10%. For the first 5 miles I'd just jog along at a comfortable pace before picking it up to something close to their suggestion. Also, if the longest runs look like they're going to take more than 3 hours cut them short at 3 hours and don't make them progressive (in their definition of the word progressive). Don't do the half marathon race or if you absolutely must then do it at marathon pace with a few miles to warm up and a couple to warm down.

MP + 10% :eek::eek::eek: I must look at that plan again, I think I have a half assed attempt at the Furman intermingled with that Runners World plan. I am doing those runs at MP + 10 seconds etc etc and not by %. So far the 13 and 15 mile long runs have been ran at just under 8.10 pace. So thats why I have found the midweek tempo runs pretty easy compared to the destruction of the long runs. Is that unsustainable, I keep looking at the 20 and 22 miles in the plan with a deep sense of foreboding. Even the easy pace Furman gives me is 8.26 pace which I don't find anything easy about when I go over ten miles. I am on week 6 alright but was planning to do more than a 1/2 marathon race, this weekend I was thinking of doing another 18 miler but at a much easier pace eg 9.07 pace just to get the time in my feet as I am conscious I am up to 20 miles the following one

Tempo/Marathon pace runs: I'd get rid of the gap between the sections i.e. instead of 3*2miles with 0.5 steady in between just do 6 miles straight with a couple to warm up and another 1 or 2 to warm down. Do a 5 mile/10k race a couple of weeks out instead of one of these sessions.

I was planning on doing the Galway Bay Half Marathon on October 2nd and basically use it as my pointer for Dublin. Unless I comfortably get under 1.40 I was going to row back on a 3.30 attempt. The plan gives me a 16 at MP + m10 seconds that weekend. Is this too near Dublin, I had thought 4 weeks out would be ok

Longer midweek run: Do this by time. Start at 90 mins this week and get to 120 mins as soon as you can. Stay there until you start tapering. Go at whatever pace you feel like. After a few weeks of these the long runs will become easier.

I think you are right with this, its something I have been looking at recently, I thought it was the best part of last years Hal Higdon. I finished the three 20 milers in training relatively comfortably but I reckon my legs couldn't stand the MP pace on the day as I broke around 18 miles, (hence this different approach) although those bastarding hills around Connemara didnt help matters. But I think another decent length mid week run would be a big help

Other runs: Where and whenever you can but always very easy and don't let them impact the above three type of runs.

N.B. I'm suggesting some pretty agressive changes to your training load here because I think that you're probably not likely to get injured. I wouldn't recommend it for many and it's important that you interpret the suggestions in the way that works best for you. Also, if you haven't had an easier week yet you'll have to put one in somewhere.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Once again thanks for you thoughts Clearlier, as I mentioned to a friend earlier I was talking to two girls today in the gym who are doing their first marathon in Dublin and they are as excited as they come, not an idea on time goals. It was a good reality check for me, you wouldnt think it the way I am going on but I am really looking forward to Dublin I do enjoy the running but sometimes I get too caught up in times during training and should just relax a little and let what comes on the day come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 paddi

Been reading this board and learned a lot. i'd like to seek advice on remaining week's preparation. Last 16 wks my mileage built from 30 to 45mpw interrupted by 3ks of low mileage(20mpw) due to injury.
    LSRs were 9,11,13,15,13(HM race 1:51),17,17,19,19,0,0,0(injury), 13,16,19,22. All done with constant pacing @around 9:20.
    Other wkly runs are 40-60min tempo(8-8:10 pace duration-dependent) plus 3-5miles easy; and a 8-11 miles easy @ 9:08 pace.
    Restarted running early 2000(after 1/4 century lay-off). Did rotterdam in april 01 with 4:01, positive split 90sec.
    With 4 weeks(including this) before taper, my questions are:
    Would LSRs of 20, HM race, 18, 20 make sense? or should i do another 22?
    Should i attempt progressive pace? I've never done it before.
    Does the HM race make sense (i can skip if not)? how should i pace it? do i run flat-out, or at PMP?
    Lastly, I live and train in hot and humid (tropical) country, how do I factor in for my goal time target. I love to go under 3:50. Is it realistic? What else i need to prepare/do to achieve this target such as my midweek runs? do i throw in some VO2 Max sessions?
    Sorry my questions are all over the map. Much appreciate your comments/input

sorry i messed up. Should be restarted running early 2010. did Rotterdam april 2011 instead of 01.

catweazle wrote: »

I do have some milage behind me, I did well over 1000 miles last year and I am not far off hitting 1000 miles for this year in the next week or two. Running was mainly for a 1/2 Ironman in July so around 13 miles long run every weekend since January, but all ran at a relatively easy pace, coming home around the 1.55 mark for 1/2 marathon pace

Mostly I was just ranting at the plan you linked to for the benefit of other readers to be honest :o

I have never felt much of a benefit from tapering yet plus I am prone to high bouts of taper madness so the less tapering I can get away with the better

I think that you only find out what works by experimenting. Obviously the 3 week taper is most commonly used and a 2 week taper is not uncommon. I have a friend whose well capable of 2:45 but who keeps cramping up around the 16 - 18 mile mark when targeting 2:55 yet he can manage a 20 mile race at a faster pace 6 weeks before. I'm trying to persuade him to ditch the 20 mile race and run the marathon off a 1 week taper. Technically there's no need to taper at all but it does seem to help most people particularly if you're training hard. Best advice I've seen is to keep the same number of runs and cut back on the distance.

MP + 10% :eek::eek::eek: I must look at that plan again, I think I have a half assed attempt at the Furman intermingled with that Runners World plan. I am doing those runs at MP + 10 seconds etc etc and not by %. So far the 13 and 15 mile long runs have been ran at just under 8.10 pace. So thats why I have found the midweek tempo runs pretty easy compared to the destruction of the long runs. Is that unsustainable, I keep looking at the 20 and 22 miles in the plan with a deep sense of foreboding. Even the easy pace Furman gives me is 8.26 pace which I don't find anything easy about when I go over ten miles. I am on week 6 alright but was planning to do more than a 1/2 marathon race, this weekend I was thinking of doing another 18 miler but at a much easier pace eg 9.07 pace just to get the time in my feet as I am conscious I am up to 20 miles the following one

Well I think that you've just answered your original question about why you're finding the long runs so hard. Interesting that you're so precise about 9:07 pace. The key thing from a training point of view is actually effort level, pace is a product of that.

I was planning on doing the Galway Bay Half Marathon on October 2nd and basically use it as my pointer for Dublin. Unless I comfortably get under 1.40 I was going to row back on a 3.30 attempt. The plan gives me a 16 at MP + m10 seconds that weekend. Is this too near Dublin, I had thought 4 weeks out would be ok

If you were only running I would say absolutely not. I think that most but not all runners need to be running 70mpw+ in training for a marathon if they also want to race a half and do their best in both. 4 weeks out is cutting it a little fine too. Your tri background probably gives you greater powers of recovery. Is it worth taking the risk though? Most importantly what impact is it going to have on the rest of your training? If you race the half marathon and struggle through training the next week then you'll have lost the benefits of that week of training. I suppose I'm saying that racing a half 4 weeks out will probably have an impact on your marathon time.
    Once again thanks for you thoughts Clearlier, as I mentioned to a friend earlier I was talking to two girls today in the gym who are doing their first marathon in Dublin and they are as excited as they come, not an idea on time goals. It was a good reality check for me, you wouldnt think it the way I am going on but I am really looking forward to Dublin I do enjoy the running but sometimes I get too caught up in times during training and should just relax a little and let what comes on the day come.

You're welcome. It's good to have goals in life. Otherwise it's difficult to appreciate what you have achieved sometimes.

Enjoy Dublin!

paddi wrote: »
    Been reading this board and learned a lot. i'd like to seek advice on remaining week's preparation. Last 16 wks my mileage built from 30 to 45mpw interrupted by 3ks of low mileage(20mpw) due to injury.
    LSRs were 9,11,13,15,13(HM race 1:51),17,17,19,19,0,0,0(injury), 13,16,19,22. All done with constant pacing @around 9:20.
    Other wkly runs are 40-60min tempo(8-8:10 pace duration-dependent) plus 3-5miles easy; and a 8-11 miles easy @ 9:08 pace.
    Restarted running early 2000(after 1/4 century lay-off). Did rotterdam in april 01 with 4:01, positive split 90sec.
    With 4 weeks(including this) before taper, my questions are:
    Would LSRs of 20, HM race, 18, 20 make sense? or should i do another 22?
    Should i attempt progressive pace? I've never done it before.
    Does the HM race make sense (i can skip if not)? how should i pace it? do i run flat-out, or at PMP?
    Lastly, I live and train in hot and humid (tropical) country, how do I factor in for my goal time target. I love to go under 3:50. Is it realistic? What else i need to prepare/do to achieve this target such as my midweek runs? do i throw in some VO2 Max sessions?
    Sorry my questions are all over the map. Much appreciate your comments/input

Hi Paddi, your training looks in reasonable order to me.

For the long runs given that you've just gone 16, 19, 22 over the last three weeks I'd back off on this weeks on and do maybe 16 or 17. I'd follow it up with the half marathon preceded by 5 easy miles and I'd run the race at marathon pace effort. It gives you a long run, it gets you a long stint at your race pace in a race and it reduces the impact on the rest of your training. Of course if you want a HM pb then go for it but I think that it will have an impact on your marathon. The week after go back to 16 and the 4th week you could go 19 miles with the last 5 or 6 at marathon pace. In general as I've probably mentioned elsewhere I wouldn't recommend going over 3 hours for a long run so if needs be adjust your plan to meet that criterion. If you feel that you can handle more then do extra during the rest of the week.

If you can push your midweek 8 - 11 miler out a little further then you'll benefit from it but you're probably already running for 90mins every week on that so you're doing fairly well.

As for target time if the HM in 1:51 was an all out effort then that wouldn't bode well for 3:50. On the other hand a 4:01 effort with a 90s positive split suggests that you took it relatively handy, have been doing some other kind of endurance training or have amazing natural endurance. Can you compare how your training is going now compared to then?

Other things you could do which may help would be to add a few warm up/down miles to your tempo run and add in a short 5th run - just thoughts - do what you feel is best especially as you're not far off the taper now.

Running in hot humid conditions will mean that you'll probably find running in a cooler race a bit easier.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for your comments. really helpful and much appreciated.

For the long runs given that you've just gone 16, 19, 22 over the last three weeks I'd back off on this weeks on and do maybe 16 or 17. I'd follow it up with the half marathon preceded by 5 easy miles and I'd run the race at marathon pace effort. It gives you a long run, it gets you a long stint at your race pace in a race and it reduces the impact on the rest of your training. Of course if you want a HM pb then go for it but I think that it will have an impact on your marathon. The week after go back to 16 and the 4th week you could go 19 miles with the last 5 or 6 at marathon pace.

The HM and it's pb is not important to me. My sole focus is the marathon. So, great input about it's impact, it helps me decide not do it and keep focusing on DCM training.
    With your input plus considering my situation, how about doing LSRs of 17, 19(6 easy+13 @pmp? is the pmp distance too much?), 16, 20(with last 6 @pmp?).

In general as I've probably mentioned elsewhere I wouldn't recommend going over 3 hours for a long run so if needs be adjust your plan to meet that criterion. If you feel that you can handle more then do extra during the rest of the week.

With my pace, to cover the LSR, it will need to be over 3 hours. The 22 miles past weekend was done in 3:26. I'm a bit unsettled here as to what to do? This probably applies to others with similar pace capability.

As for target time if the HM in 1:51 was an all out effort then that wouldn't bode well for 3:50.

It was not quite all out and was done at early phase of this training. Also, since it was hot and humid, so I hope it could be more favourable under DCM condition. Anyway, i take it that 3:50 target for a 1:51 HM is not likely to be achievable, but hopefully I can get below 4 and get as close as 3:50.
    i guess it's crucial that i decide what should be my target, and set the pacing plan accordingly. May i ask for suggestion/recomendations on this?

On the other hand a 4:01 effort with a 90s positive split suggests that you took it relatively handy, have been doing some other kind of endurance training or have amazing natural endurance. Can you compare how your training is going now compared to then?

Compared to april race, total and wkly mileage is about similar (600 miles/avg 40-45/wk). LSRs for april were 4x16miles, 3x19, 1x20, 2x21, 1x22 with similar pace. One difference is that I feel noticiably easier doing LSRs this time. I did several more Threshold and VO2 max sessions in April with similar intensity, and again this time, i feel not as taxing.

Thanks so much for your comments. really helpful and much appreciated.

You're welcome.

The HM and it's pb is not important to me. My sole focus is the marathon. So, great input about it's impact, it helps me decide not do it and keep focusing on DCM training.
    With your input plus considering my situation, how about doing LSRs of 17, 19(6 easy+13 @pmp? is the pmp distance too much?), 16, 20(with last 6 @pmp?).

With my pace, to cover the LSR, it will need to be over 3 hours. The 22 miles past weekend was done in 3:26. I'm a bit unsettled here as to what to do? This probably applies to others with similar pace capability.

The plan seems reasonable with the caveat that I wouldn't go longer than 3 hours. If for example you were running LSR's @ 10mm then I wouldn't suggest ever going further than 18 miles. 3 hours is a long time on your feet. The longer you're on your feet the greater your chance of injury and the greater the impact on the following weeks training. Also I don't believe that you get much greater benefit from running for 3:30 compared to 3 hours. The one thing to mention here is that can give some a mental boost but you've already run a marathon, you know you can get the distance. Now it's a question of optimising your training.

As for target time if the HM in 1:51 was an all out effort then that wouldn't bode well for 3:50.

It was not quite all out and was done at early phase of this training. Also, since it was hot and humid, so I hope it could be more favourable under DCM condition. Anyway, i take it that 3:50 target for a 1:51 HM is not likely to be achievable, but hopefully I can get below 4 and get as close as 3:50.
    i guess it's crucial that i decide what should be my target, and set the pacing plan accordingly. May i ask for suggestion/recomendations on this?

Compared to april race, total and wkly mileage is about similar (600 miles/avg 40-45/wk). LSRs for april were 4x16miles, 3x19, 1x20, 2x21, 1x22 with similar pace. One difference is that I feel noticiably easier doing LSRs this time. I did several more Threshold and VO2 max sessions in April with similar intensity, and again this time, i feel not as taxing.

You will get some benefit simply from having been running for longer but realistically if you're doing roughly the same training (same miles, same pace) as you did for the first one you won't be an awful lot faster. If you feel that you can up your intensity a little without getting injured you may get a little closer to 3:50.

As for pace on the day it's a little far out to be making a call but I'd guess you're heading towards a place where if you went out in 1:58 you'd be able to come back in something very close to that time and comfortably get in under 4 hrs. You might be able to manage faster but if sub-4 hrs is a milestone you'd like to get to then given your previous near even split performance this is the way I'd recommend going about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭griffin100

Some great advice on this thread. I’m thinking of doing Dublin this year and am not sure as to how to structure the few weeks training that are left. Some history:

I did Dublin last year in 3.53. I paced it really badly – I did the first 10km in 56mins / hit 21kms in 1.52 / 30km in 2.39, and blew up completely over the last 10km. I also ended up getting a foot injury / strain of some sort that took two months and a few visits to the physio to sort out. This was my first stand alone marathon. Prior to this I had done my first marathon around 12 weeks before in 4.40hrs as part of an Ironman Triathlon.

This year I’ve run a bit more that last year. I’ve done around 1,200kms this year to date. Two weeks ago I did a 4.29hr marathon as part of another Iron Man (slow I know but I had just cycled the Ring Of Kerry). When training for this I was running 3-4 times a week. Usually I would do a Monday recovery run of 5-7 miles at slow pace – 9.15+mm; my second run of the week I would do at a ‘fast’ pace, again 6-8 miles at usually around 7.30-40mm pace; if I had time I would do a third weekday run of 6-8 miles at 8.15ish pace and then my LSR at the weekend. My LSR’s once they got above 15-16 miles were all run on heart rate with no reference to pace. I would run with my HR at around 15 bpm below my LT. These runs would come in at around 9.05 – 9.15mm pace. My longest runs were a 20 mile and a 22 mile. My biggest mileage week was around 41 miles, not huge but I was cycling and swimming as well.

I’ve no real times for shorter races as I haven’t done a short race in a long time but my PB’s are 45.45 for 10km and 1.49hrs for HM (I’ve gone slightly faster for a HM distance in training).

For the last two weeks I’ve been in recovery mode, I’ve run 4 times up to a maximum of 8 miles, all relatively slow. There are 7 weeks left to Dublin counting this week and I’m thinking of entering but only if I can go better than last year. I'm not cycling or swimming at the minute so I have more time to devote to running. I would be happy with a 3.40-45hr. Anyone any thoughts on the feasibility of this / what do concentrate on over the next few weeks?

griffin100 wrote: »
    I would be happy with a 3.40-45hr.

Did you see the pacers for the 3.45, there will be plenty of gossip ;)

griffin100 wrote: »
    Some great advice on this thread. I’m thinking of doing Dublin this year and am not sure as to how to structure the few weeks training that are left. Some history:

I did Dublin last year in 3.53. I paced it really badly – I did the first 10km in 56mins / hit 21kms in 1.52 / 30km in 2.39, and blew up completely over the last 10km. I also ended up getting a foot injury / strain of some sort that took two months and a few visits to the physio to sort out. This was my first stand alone marathon. Prior to this I had done my first marathon around 12 weeks before in 4.40hrs as part of an Ironman Triathlon.

This year I’ve run a bit more that last year. I’ve done around 1,200kms this year to date. Two weeks ago I did a 4.29hr marathon as part of another Iron Man (slow I know but I had just cycled the Ring Of Kerry). When training for this I was running 3-4 times a week. Usually I would do a Monday recovery run of 5-7 miles at slow pace – 9.15+mm; my second run of the week I would do at a ‘fast’ pace, again 6-8 miles at usually around 7.30-40mm pace; if I had time I would do a third weekday run of 6-8 miles at 8.15ish pace and then my LSR at the weekend. My LSR’s once they got above 15-16 miles were all run on heart rate with no reference to pace. I would run with my HR at around 15 bpm below my LT. These runs would come in at around 9.05 – 9.15mm pace. My longest runs were a 20 mile and a 22 mile. My biggest mileage week was around 41 miles, not huge but I was cycling and swimming as well.

I’ve no real times for shorter races as I haven’t done a short race in a long time but my PB’s are 45.45 for 10km and 1.49hrs for HM (I’ve gone slightly faster for a HM distance in training).

For the last two weeks I’ve been in recovery mode, I’ve run 4 times up to a maximum of 8 miles, all relatively slow. There are 7 weeks left to Dublin counting this week and I’m thinking of entering but only if I can go better than last year. I'm not cycling or swimming at the minute so I have more time to devote to running. I would be happy with a 3.40-45hr. Anyone any thoughts on the feasibility of this / what do concentrate on over the next few weeks?

The first thing to say is that I really don't know what time you'd be capable of doing in Dublin. I wouldn't doubt that you'd hit 3:45 and probably faster if you had this as your sole focus. Given that you're two weeks since an Ironman you've got a tough balancing act to get the best out of yourself come Dublin.

I imagine that the effects of an ironman are at least as bad as an all out marathon and possibly worse? That being the case I'd stick predominantly to easy running but I'd try and build the miles up relatively quickly.

Given that you'll have a relatively large amount of training time available but a relatively low capacity to absorb training in the aftermath of your ironman I'd suggest that you spent a fair amount of time working on your running form. This can mean drills, strides (do both of these after most of your runs), strength (particularly core) and flexibility.

I'd consider doing a two week taper rather than the traditional three and if your body feels up to it I'd put in a steady run 5 weeks out, a marathon pace run 4 weeks out and a tempo run 3 weeks out. Other than a dress rehearsal 2-3 miles on marathon week and strides I wouldn't do any other running faster than easy but I would do as many miles as I could manage comfortably. Your biggest challenge will be to get in some training whilst also managing to be fresh for Dublin. As I said before though I unfortunately have no idea what time this approach would give you.

Clearlier wrote: »
    The plan seems reasonable with the caveat that I wouldn't go longer than 3 hours. If for example you were running LSR's @ 10mm then I wouldn't suggest ever going further than 18 miles. 3 hours is a long time on your feet.
    As for pace on the day it's a little far out to be making a call but I'd guess you're heading towards a place where if you went out in 1:58 you'd be able to come back in something very close to that time and comfortably get in under 4 hrs. You might be able to manage faster but if sub-4 hrs is a milestone you'd like to get to then given your previous near even split performance this isish the way I'd recommend going about it.

Clearlier,
    thanks so much again for the comments. i'm going to incorporate them into remaining of my training. (keep LSR within 3 hour etc). Am also thinking to inject 3:50'ish-equivalent PMP into LSRs and see how far I can get to set my final target. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭griffin100

Thanks Clearlier. The 2 week taper is an interesting suggestion, I was leaning towards this myself as I only tapered for 2 weeks coming into IM and it worked well as I hadn't been putting in big mileage / time weeks (average 10hrs training / week). I'll aim for less speed work and more mileage in the few weeks left.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wilmaa

Hi Guys you are a wealth of info, will sit tonight and try and inwardly digest previous entries.

I have a challenge for you all.

Am I insane, I plan to try and attempt Dublin again this year after a few years break and a couple of children. I would consider ye guys as greyhounds and me as a minature Jack Russell. Made the commitment the end of July.

Had been cycling consistently 100miles plus each week since end of March, and had been on the turbo trainer, before that. During the summer I completed some of the an Post longer cycles. Took to cycling post baby as ligaments were allover the place and kept getting injured.

TRaining time is limited, I work full time, run around after my little ones, have a very supportive other half, but he works shifts that change from week to week, so routine is haphazard.

Sitting here minding a chest infection and worrying about missing out on training this week, was planning to do another 13miles this weekend might still.

The Challenge is get me to the finish I'm not bothered about my time as long as I get around injury free and before I get too hungry!

Should I chicken out and look to next year??????

What do the seasoned marathoners think? Have to respect the distance.

Hi Wilmaa,

Have you done any running training or just cycling? If you have done some running can you give us the details please? If you have only been cycling then I'd suggest postponing unless you're a masochist :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 wilmaa

Hi guys was away for weekend, just back.

No I'm not a masochist! Prior to August running 6miles / 10k per week plus the cycling, so from 31st July when I kind of made the commitment, slowly upped the distance, managing 20 miles (the occ 30miles but this was rare) per week. managed a few 10s and a couple of 13's with no ill effects, average 10 - 11 minute miles, slow and steady.

Watched the great north run this morning which was the start of all this 10 years ago!

But seriously, I think I'll read all you tips, and aim for next year, am still feeling not to great and didn't get any miles in this weekend. I won't competely throw the towel in yet, otherwise I'll be back to where I was but next July!

I'll listen to those in the know.

Thanks, W

Advertisement