Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 'improvers' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Thanks a million for reporting back, sorry it didn't go well for you but you've helped me greatly if that's of any comfort.

A lesson learned and a 20 min PB - it's not all bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

macinalli wrote: »
    A lesson learned and a 20 min PB - it's not all bad!

Congrats on that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

macinalli wrote: »
    Just back from the Liverpool marathon and was thinking of this one. My times this year have improved a lot and McMillan said that I should be ok for a 3.20 marathon. I wasn't too sure and would have been happy to break 3.30. On the day I decided to go off at 7.40 place but to be very careful for the first 10 miles and not to push too hard too early. Did this for the first 3 miles but then met some rolling hills (nothing much) followed by an exposed windy stretch. At that stage I deliberately dropped the pace to around 8 min miles and went through 10 miles in around 79.20. I had hoped to keep this going for the 2nd 10 miles but it wasn't to be (2 tough hills), did that split in 83. I dug in well after the hills but by mile 22 I was wrecked and started losing time, finished in 3.38.

I think Mr Slows point about McMillan being optimistic for improvers is spot on. I have run marathons before (5) and do have an endurance base. My thinking though is that this endurance base doesn't really match with the pace I'm running at now. In the case of itsalltrue and Mr Slow, I would be wary of basing a marathon pace on a half marathon time that has improved a lot in the last year. Obviously every case is different, but in hindsight I think I would have been better going for 3.30 straight from the start.

Sorry to hear that you didn't hit your target Macinalli. It sounds like you managed to race really well. If it helps at all a guy that posts on runners world who ran a controlled comfortable 2:35 in Abingdon last year struggled to a 2:39 in Liverpool. He described tough conditions. Windy, warm and hillier than expected. Looked at from that perspective you probably ran as solid a time as you possibly could have. Kudos for posting a report after a disappointment. There's many that wouldn't. Sub-3 for the next one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭itsalltrue

Had a good think about it at the weekend after my last long run (22 miles in 3:09). I have decided to run at about 7:50 a mile which will bring me around 3:25 if maintained but will give me a couple of minutes grace to fall under the 3:30. For my long runs i maintain roughly a 8:15 minute pace all the way so i'm hopeful in a race i can run 30 seconds quicker a mile.

Sorry to hear your race didn't go as planned but the conditions sounded hard

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Clearlier wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that you didn't hit your target Macinalli. It sounds like you managed to race really well. If it helps at all a guy that posts on runners world who ran a controlled comfortable 2:35 in Abingdon last year struggled to a 2:39 in Liverpool. He described tough conditions. Windy, warm and hillier than expected. Looked at from that perspective you probably ran as solid a time as you possibly could have. Kudos for posting a report after a disappointment. There's many that wouldn't. Sub-3 for the next one! :D

I didn't get the target time but I'm still happy with my race. There are a couple of small things that I'd do differently the next time, but a 20 min PB on a tough course counts as a positive result!

On the run up to the race I was thinking that I'd do no marathons for at least a year and focus instead on the shorter stuff. I think that lasted til about 20 minutes after the finish! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I'm looking for some feedback from more experienced runners on what time/pace I should be trying for in DCM. This is my second marathon having done it badly last year with practically no base built up and injury shortly before the race. I know how bad the last 6-8 miles can be without the right preperation or pacing incorrectly.

That was all in the past. This year I have been training all year and approaching 1000 miles for the year. Did the Dublin 1/2 in 1:42:25. Got injured after it and missed a week of training or proper training. Did my third 20 miler last weekend.

Have been monitoring McMillan for races during the year and it has been pretty accurate. Off my half time it suggests 3:36 for the full marathon. Depending on what day it is I have been leaning towards starting with the 3:45 pacers and trying to run with them or start somewhere between 3:45 & 4:00 pacers.

Any thoughts appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

some people say McMillan is too optimistic for marathons. One alternative I've heard is to double your half time, and add 10%
    For you that would be
    102 x 2 = 204 + 20 = 224 = 3 hours 44

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

RayCun wrote: »
    some people say McMillan is too optimistic for marathons. One alternative I've heard is to double your half time, and add 10%
    For you that would be

Thanks Ray. That's why I wasn't even entertaining 3:36 to be honest. First proper Marathon so want to ensure the pace is right from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

pistol_75 wrote: »
    For you that would be

Thanks Ray. That's why I wasn't even entertaining 3:36 to be honest. First proper Marathon so want to ensure the pace is right from the start.
    I'm in the exact same position. Did the marathon in '09 in 4:14. have trained better this year and the 10 Mile in 76 and the half in 1:42. I'm aiming for 3:50 so am not sure whether to go with 3:45 pacers and maybe drop off or just go out at my own steady pace. I know you can't bank time but I feel my second half will be slower. Did my last LSR the other day, 21 miles in 3:09. Was much slower for final 8.

I think I will head out with the 3:45 guys and try and hang on, who knows with the rest of the taper I might get in with them

I'd be interested to see others advice for the two of us.
    Thanks

McMillan is optimistic, someone in the know told me that by serious standards most of the programmes we follow are great programs for half marathons and to achieve a Mcmillan time you'd want to be putting in 80 miles a week or more.

Pistol, even splits, you're in 3:45 shape, you quote your 20 milers but it's those back to back midweek sessions that'll see you through to the finish, trust in P&D!

Van Bosch, what program did you follow?

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same position. Did the marathon in '09 in 4:14. have trained better this year and the 10 Mile in 76 and the half in 1:42. I'm aiming for 3:50 so am not sure whether to go with 3:45 pacers and maybe drop off or just go out at my own steady pace. I know you can't bank time but I feel my second half will be slower. Did my last LSR the other day, 21 miles in 3:09. Was much slower for final 8.

I think I will head out with the 3:45 guys and try and hang on, who knows with the rest of the taper I might get in with them

Thanks

A little bit of taper madness setting in? :)

All other things being equal you're ready to run 3:45. Enjoy your ride in the armchair to halfway, concentrate to 20 and dig in for the last 10k. If all goes well on the day I think that you'll do it.

Now is the time to put in place all the little details:
    Get your gels or whatever you plan to take on board during the race.
    Plan on when you're going to take your gels.
    Work out what you'll bring with you in case it's cold/hot/wet/windy before the start.
    Make sure that your runners will be up to the task (actually a little late for this one but if they're in bits you're probably better off doing it than not doing it).
    Make a written list of the things that you want to bring with you on the day - writing it down is a million times better than trying to memorise it and if you write it down now you'll find yourself adding to it over the next week or two.
    Plan how you're going to get to the race.
    Visualise the whole day - getting up - breakfast - arriving - dumping your bag - going to the toilet - starting - enjoying the first half - starting to concentrate - running strong along the Merrion road - over Baggot st. bridge - saluting the crowds around Trinity and feeling the roar of the crowd for you as you fly down Nassau st. towards the finishing line.

Thanks

A little bit of taper madness setting in? :)

All other things being equal you're ready to run 3:45. Enjoy your ride in the armchair to halfway, concentrate to 20 and dig in for the last 10k. If all goes well on the day I think that you'll do it.

Now is the time to put in place all the little details:
    Get your gels or whatever you plan to take on board during the race.
    Plan on when you're going to take your gels.
    Work out what you'll bring with you in case it's cold/hot/wet/windy before the start.
    Make sure that your runners will be up to the task (actually a little late for this one but if they're in bits you're probably better off doing it than not doing it).
    Make a written list of the things that you want to bring with you on the day - writing it down is a million times better than trying to memorise it and if you write it down now you'll find yourself adding to it over the next week or two.
    Plan how you're going to get to the race.
    Visualise the whole day - getting up - breakfast - arriving - dumping your bag - going to the toilet - starting - enjoying the first half - starting to concentrate - running strong along the Merrion road - over Baggot st. bridge - saluting the crowds around Trinity and feeling the roar of the crowd for you as you fly down Nassau st. towards the finishing line.

Thanks. I followed HH Intermediate 2. I think 3:45 isn't beyond the realms of possibility but just want to banish the memories of 09. Set out for 3:55 or so, hadn't done the training so last 6 were hell.

Actually have most of your other tips sorted but visualising each step of the day (not the race) sounds like sound advice.

Thanks again for the detailed response

Thanks. I followed HH Intermediate 2. I think 3:45 isn't beyond the realms of possibility but just want to banish the memories of 09. Set out for 3:55 or so, hadn't done the training so last 6 were hell.

Actually have most of your other tips sorted but visualising each step of the day (not the race) sounds like sound advice.

Thanks again for the detailed response

I ran 4:15 in DCM last year, looking back I was totally unprepared, I followed P&D for Cork in June and ran 3:43 and was solid to the end even picking it up for a quick run for the last .2 mile crossing the line at 7:20 pace.

Trust your training, '09 is in the past, '11 is now and you're ready!

Mr Slow wrote: »
    I ran 4:15 in DCM last year, looking back I was totally unprepared, I followed P&D for Cork in June and ran 3:43 and was solid to the end even picking it up for a quick run for the last .2 mile crossing the line at 7:20 pace.

Trust your training, '09 is in the past, '11 is now and you're ready!

Thanks - I'll keep that in mind and hopefully all will go well on the day. Completing the last .2 miles at 7:20 is a nice thought alright, I'll give it a go and let you know.

For the next one I think I'll use the P&D programme, heard alot of good things about it but have yet to see it. Where do you get it? Do you have to buy the book as I cant seem to find it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

yes, you need the book

yes, you need the book

It should be called 'The Bible' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

For you that would be

I like this formula. I ran just inside 1:49 for the half. That would be:
    109 x 2.2 = 239.8

just inside 4 hours, which is the plan. McMillan says 3:50 is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Sub 3 or not sub 3
    Hi, Im new to this forum. was looking online for some discussion on the Marathon and this seems to be where its at.
    My 1st post and of course im looking for advice.
    Previous m/thon best 3:13:40 in Cork this June(dublin will be 8th marathon). Have followed a sub3 plan pretty well since. ran 6:55 miles in a recent 15 mile race -cork to cobh- but was fairly shagged afterwards. Would need to sustain 6:50 miles for 26.2 if im am to reach my goal.

Just not sure what to go for, I know some other runners on local scene who I would consider better runners than me and they think sub 3 is out of their reach.
    With the benefit of a taper and the buzz on the day, should I follow the 3:00pacer and see how it goes or be sensible and look for 3:06/3:08?
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.......tx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

My view (and others may disagree...)

- if you think that your fallback is 3:06 or 3:08, you might as well have a go. Stick to the pacers, give it your best shot. What's the worst that'll happen - that you run 3:20...that's psychologically (IMHO) not that different to 3:08, so the risk/reward ratio is good. Sadly you're not a "shoo in" for sub-3, based on what you say, so you'd have to be prepared to risk a bit of a melt-down.

My only concern is your "shaggedness" after 15@6:50. You'll get a buzz-lift on the day, but you'll also need to get your nutrition and hydration spot on.

In your shoes, I'd give it a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    Sub 3 or not sub 3
    Hi, Im new to this forum. was looking online for some discussion on the Marathon and this seems to be where its at.
    Previous m/thon best 3:13:40 in Cork this June(dublin will be 8th marathon). Have followed a sub3 plan pretty well since. ran 6:55 miles in a recent 15 mile race -cork to cobh- but was fairly shagged afterwards. Would need to sustain 6:50 miles for 26.2 if im am to reach my goal.

Just not sure what to go for, I know some other runners on local scene who I would consider better runners than me and they think sub 3 is out of their reach.
    With the benefit of a taper and the buzz on the day, should I follow the 3:00pacer and see how it goes or be sensible and look for 3:06/3:08?

Any chance you could post a few of your Key sessions over the last while and also the build up week to the 15 miler?

Dont know the course personally only seen the profile and doesnt seem to be too many major climbs but alot of undulation and cant remember what the weather was like that day so hard to give an full picture of where you are at in terms of overall fitness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

I am in a similar situation as yourself and I am going to give the sub 3 a shot.

Previous best was 3.07, and I trained for a sub 3 up to a month ago when injury, holidays and motivation took over.

I am willing to take the risk of going with the 3 hr pacers and blowing up (but hopefully not) at some stage.

Best of luck on the day and might see you alongside the pacers :D

Sub 3 or not sub 3

As ecoli says we need more info! How many miles over how long a period? what are your PB's and how does your fitness compare to when you set them? What's the difference between your training for this and your training for the 3:13? Was the 15 mile race all out or controlled? Did you taper for it? What's the profile of the course like and how does it compare to Dublin? My guess right now is that you should hold off. 15 miles at slightly slower than marathon pace leaving you in bits wouldn't indicate that you could do another 11.2 but there's almost certainly more to it than that or you wouldn't be dreaming of sub-3. The more info. you can give us the better we can estimate your chances.

brownian wrote: »
    My only concern is your "shaggedness" after 15@6:50. You'll get a buzz-lift on the day, but you'll also need to get your nutrition and hydration spot on.
    In your shoes, I'd give it a shot.

Yes was pretty shot after the 15 mile race but I guess I was pushing to catch 2 guys over the last 500metres and lungs were burning a bit after that. was comfortable enough up to that - I do realise however that 11 miles is a long way out! hmmm
    ecoli wrote: »
    Any chance you could post a few of your Key sessions over the last while and also the build up week to the 15 miler?

Dont know the course personally

Key Sessions:
    Long Runs @ 7:45 pace.
    Speedwork 4x1 mile at 6:00per mile with 800mtr jogs between
    As many 4-7mile local races as possible - 30:15 best for 5 miles.

I would be happy that Dublin is a pretty good course for PB's.

I am in a similar situation as yourself and I am going to give the sub 3 a shot.

Best of luck on the day and might see you alongside the pacers :D

I will most likely give it a shot alright. Following the pacer is very handy. At least that way i dont have to keep glancing at the garmin and can try to relax knowing that I only have to beat a baloon!
    Hopefully see you there. - very best of luck.

Thanks to you all for taking the time to reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hey EauRouge

Looking at your sessions you are capable of sub 3 without a doubt. My only fear would be you have not mentioned any sessions which include marathon pace for any duration. My guess is that you have not had many of these types of sessions included? Having said that the 4-7 mile races may help in terms of sustained efforts which could be substituted for Tempos

My guess off the information you have given here would be roughly 3.02-3.05 fitness. This does not mean that you are not capable of sub 3 but I would say be conservative first half and see where you are from there go out the first few miles around 3.03 pace and see how easy you feel after about 10 and if you are grand you can start to drop the pace gradually

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭niall2j

Hi guys,

I'd be kind of in the same boat as EauRouge79 and NeedsTraining.

For Dublin 2010 I reckon I was trained up for maybe sub-3:05 on a good day, but I decided to go for 3:00 as it was so tantalisingly close! In the end, I couldn't sustain the pace and finished with a 3:08 after a 1:31 half, so far from a disaster. Tbh, even if I'd lost a bit more time than that, I still wouldn't have regretted going for it. If you think it’s worth risking a PB to go for the Sub 3 (I do), then you should.

For what it’s worth, I’m in a similar position again this year and I’d like to ask for similar advice! I’d be worried that if I started out at 3.03, I’d settle into a groove – the idea of feeling like you need to make up time as you get more tired makes me nervous. Would it not be better to go out with the pacers and hang on for dear life!

Following P&D’s 12/55 plan myself. Sticking to it quite well, occasionally swapping a V02 max session for more tempo stuff. I definitely feel fitter than last year, but my biggest concern is having missed some PMP runs. I have a 13.1 mi PMP run under my belt from 2 weeks ago (1:30:00). My last big run before the taper was 21 miles, for which I did the final 15-16 miles at about 7:15/mi or just under.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭griffin100

A follow up to an earlier query a few weeks ago..

Similar to above questions but at a slower pace. I've done 8 weeks of training after a weeks rest coming off an IM where i did a 4.29 marathon. The first 2 weeks of training were low slow mileage to get the legs running again. After that I've done 4 weeks of 'full' training - 4-5 runs a week peaking at a 45 mile week - no real plan followed.

My 4 long runs were in order of last 4 weekends: 16 miles (12 miles @8.50 / 4 miles@8.00); 19 miles @ 8.35; 20 miles at 9.15; 19 miles (10 miles @ 9.05 / 7 miles @ 8.35 / 2 miles @ 9.15). My midweek runs have been roughly 5 mile slow recovery / 6-7 mile @ 7.45 / 6-7 miles @ 8-8.15 / 5-6 mile @ 9.00. Last weekend I did a 5km TT against the garmin and did 21.31.

My question is am I capable of a 3.45 DCM? That would mean running at 8.35 pace which in training I have done for 19 miles but I did die at mile 19 when I hit a steep hill. I was going to run at 8.45 pace and try and speed up for the last couple of miles, this would still give me a PB over last years 3.53. However 2 clubmates are planning on running with the 3.45 pacers and I'd like to run with them.

Any advice from more experienced marathon runners greatly received - to date the only 2 marathon runners I know are evenly split :)

griffin100 wrote: »
    A follow up to an earlier query a few weeks ago..

Similar to above questions but at a slower pace. I've done 8 weeks of training after a weeks rest coming off an IM where i did a 4.29 marathon. The first 2 weeks of training were low slow mileage to get the legs running again. After that I've done 4 weeks of 'full' training - 4-5 runs a week peaking at a 45 mile week - no real plan followed.

My 4 long runs were in order of last 4 weekends: 16 miles (12 miles @8.50 / 4 miles@8.00); 19 miles @ 8.35; 20 miles at 9.15; 19 miles (10 miles @ 9.05 / 7 miles @ 8.35 / 2 miles @ 9.15). My midweek runs have been roughly 5 mile slow recovery / 6-7 mile @ 7.45 / 6-7 miles @ 8-8.15 / 5-6 mile @ 9.00. Last weekend I did a 5km TT against the garmin and did 21.31.

My question is am I capable of a 3.45 DCM? That would mean running at 8.35 pace which in training I have done for 19 miles but I did die at mile 19 when I hit a steep hill. I was going to run at 8.45 pace and try and speed up for the last couple of miles, this would still give me a PB over last years 3.53. However 2 clubmates are planning on running with the 3.45 pacers and I'd like to run with them.

Any advice from more experienced marathon runners greatly received - to date the only 2 marathon runners I know are evenly split :)

Hi Griffin,

21:31 indicates that you have more than enough speed to run 3:45 (suggests closer to 3:30 although 5k is much more heavily influenced by V02 Max than the marathon). Endurance is going to be your limiting factor. I'd happily go out with the 3:45 pacers. You won't find the pace hard, what you may find is that you fade towards the end as the lack of endurance kicks in but that'll happen just as much at a slower pace than this for you. Make sure you don't run out of glycogen and give it a shot.

Hope it works out well for you.

niall2j wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'd be kind of in the same boat as EauRouge79 and NeedsTraining.

For Dublin 2010 I reckon I was trained up for maybe sub-3:05 on a good day, but I decided to go for 3:00 as it was so tantalisingly close! In the end, I couldn't sustain the pace and finished with a 3:08 after a 1:31 half, so far from a disaster. Tbh, even if I'd lost a bit more time than that, I still wouldn't have regretted going for it. If you think it’s worth risking a PB to go for the Sub 3 (I do), then you should.

For what it’s worth, I’m in a similar position again this year and I’d like to ask for similar advice! I’d be worried that if I started out at 3.03, I’d settle into a groove – the idea of feeling like you need to make up time as you get more tired makes me nervous. Would it not be better to go out with the pacers and hang on for dear life!

Following P&D’s 12/55 plan myself. Sticking to it quite well, occasionally swapping a V02 max session for more tempo stuff. I definitely feel fitter than last year, but my biggest concern is having missed some PMP runs. I have a 13.1 mi PMP run under my belt from 2 weeks ago (1:30:00). My last big run before the taper was 21 miles, for which I did the final 15-16 miles at about 7:15/mi or just under.

Cheers :)

I do think that if you're unsure about your ability to hit sub-3 then you're probably not going to hit it and going out at 3:03 pace is the best strategy to give you a shot whilst hedging your bets about crashing and burning. If you don't mind crashing so long as you give it a go then go out with the pacers. The reality is that almost nobody goes through the half of a marathon in 1:31:30 and comes back for a sub-3 and very few even negative split.

Good luck!

What's the difference between your training for this and your training for the 3:13? Was the 15 mile race all out or controlled? Did you taper for it? QUOTE]

Not being smart, but this time I have actually trained instead of just plodding along. Never used to do specific sessions.

Didnt taper for the 15 miler- just substitued it for a 20 mile long run. so it was stuck in the middle of a period of fairly high mileage.

• Advertisement

What's the difference between your training for this and your training for the 3:13? Was the 15 mile race all out or controlled? Did you taper for it?

Not being smart, but this time I have actually trained instead of just plodding along. Never used to do specific sessions.

Didnt taper for the 15 miler- just substitued it for a 20 mile long run. so it was stuck in the middle of a period of fairly high mileage.

I'd say that was smart actually:-). That all bodes well and it certainly sounds like you're in much better shape than when you ran 3:13. Assuming that your 5 mile PB is still relevant, your preparation has been perfect and your endurance is in great shape then I think you'll have a shot at sub-3. I think ecoli's analysis is spot on though and you're probably in around 3:03 shape. I'd give similar advice to you as I gave to Niall. If you don't mind blowing up so long as you give it a shot then head out with the pacers but if you want a guaranteed PB do the first half in 1:32:30.

Incidentally you'll know in your heart of hearts if you're ready for sub-3 but it's very difficult to access that part of your mind in the lead up to a goal marathon.

Advertisement