Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Conrad put some interesting notes up on Something Else To Wrestle With on the Wrestling Observer board:

- They (Bruce and Conrad) want the show to be shorter because they believe it'll 'feel' longer on video than audio given you'll just be sitting watching, so they want to aim for 90 minutes. WWE told them 60 - 90 minutes but liked this show and opted to air it in its entirety this week.

- WWE was strongly against putting B roll footage in as they want a 'raw, underground' feeling but eventually relented, and have now decided to put more of it in per show than they did this week, as it was very last minute (show tapes Sunday, airs Wednesday). The guys have to notify them 4 days in advance so they can get footage prepped. I really like this as I thought the footage really added to it.

- Everyone, Conrad included, hated how close up they framed him so he's going to move the camera. WWE producers were present in each guys house when this was shot but won't be this week so they've more freedom to do their own thing.

- Vince & Kevin Dunn have seen live shows & watched this show and are both on board. For some reason this surprises me. My perception of Vince is that he doesn't even watch NXT, much less something as far down the foodchain as this. Is that just me?

- They've experimented with software and believe next weeks show is a marked improvement, production wise.

- They thought this was more just a rehearsal and likely not going to air & didn't see it until all of us did too.

This weeks Something Else To Wrestle is up, on the Mega Powers. The production is in a different league, much much better from the little I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I like Network version since it is a lot easier sit through in one sitting without any ads inbetween like podcast version.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I like Network version since it is a lot easier sit through in one sitting without any ads inbetween like podcast version.

Ah I don’t mind the ads on the podcast they’re very skippable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Loughc wrote: »
    Ah I don’t mind the ads on the podcast they’re very skippable.

Some of the ads arent too bad and the ones that are repetitive are nullified by the 30s skip button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Some of the ads arent too bad and the ones that are repetitive are nullified by the 30s skip button.

at least they try and make them a bit of fun they fail but at least they try. as i listen in the car mostly and cant skip so i appreciate the effort

jerichos intro to ads are still the worst

Would expect more podcast content on the network now that SETWW has started off so strong. Must say it's a big shame more people didn't watch the Bruno documentary, it was a powerful piece even if the history in it was off in places.

The ten most watched shows of the past week on the WWE Network were:
    1. WrestleMania;
    2. Something Else to Wrestle With episode one
    3. NXT from 4/18;
    4. NXT Takeover New Orleans;
    5. 2018 Royal Rumble;
    6. Ride Along with New Day Gable & Benjamin;
    7. WWE 24 on Raw 25;
    8. Bruno documentary
    9. 205 Live from 4/17;
    10. NXT from 4/11.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,344 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Finally The Big Boss Man podcast next week on Something to wrestle.

Big Bossman doesn't pique my interest. He was mostly a mid carder, famously known for being a nice guy. Not sure there'll be much of note on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Monokne wrote: »
    Big Bossman doesn't pique my interest. He was mostly a mid carder, famously known for being a nice guy. Not sure there'll be much of note on it.

He was one of Hogan's biggest drawing opponents and a massive part of the two major boom periods of the last 30 years. He was also a huge star at the time of the UK tours in the early 90's. I think there is plenty of note that can be covered in a Boss Man podcast

• Advertisement

LeeJM wrote: »
    He was one of Hogan's biggest drawing opponents and a massive part of the two major boom periods of the last 30 years. He was also a huge star at the time of the UK tours in the early 90's. I think there is plenty of note that can be covered in a Boss Man podcast

That is a fair point re the Hogan feud.

It's disingenous to call him a massive part of either boom period though. He was a background player, a decent utility guy. When I think 'attitude era' I don't think of the kennel from hell or Bossman as hardcore champion, or Bossman hanging from the ceiling at WMXV, and those are probably his peak moments.

To be fair though, he was a bigger part of the original boom.

LeeJM wrote: »

It will also nice to hear about someone else other than the same dozen or so wrestlers Conrad’s pods seem to talk about week in week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Funny guy no? :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Listened to Bischoff and Conrads new podcast yesterday. A good first episode and Bischoff is refreshingly honest. Not much banter at all but i reckon it will come over time.

Yeah I enjoyed it. Bisch seemed a little more credible and less defensive than Prichard. It was notable that in spite of the fact he buried Meltzer & Keller, he mentioned Dave had many of his facts right and that he worried multiple people on the booking team talked to him. At least he doesn't have his head totally in the sand.

Some of the detail was very cool. Conrad's research was great. Bisch's memory isn't that good so that could be a problem the longer the show goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I was a guest on the popular Music of the Mat podcast this week. We discussed Macho Man Randy Savage's theme history. Check it out if this is something that would interest ye

https://audioboom.com/posts/6831746-music-of-the-mat-32-macho-man-randy-savage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

ricero wrote: »
    Listened to Bischoff and Conrads new podcast yesterday. A good first episode and Bischoff is refreshingly honest. Not much banter at all but i reckon it will come over time.

Congrad has an unbelievable knowledge base...seemed to know more than Eric at times!

You can certainly call into question the accuracy of some of Wade or Dave's reporting, but like you said, it provides Conrad with a lot of tremendous detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Pinkman

Would expect more podcast content on the network now that SETWW has started off so strong. Must say it's a big shame more people didn't watch the Bruno documentary, it was a powerful piece even if the history in it was off in places.

Anyone know why Austin's podcast ended on the network? Last one was that awkward Ambrose episode. Loads of superstars who'd make great guests, especially legends.

It's removal coincided with them cutting way back on spending on original programming on the network to increase profitability and Austin doesn't come cheap, but one has to suspect that it hasn't been back because Austin goes into things the company would rather he didn't (Chyna on the Triple H episode, Punk with Vince, the problems with Brock on the Ambrose show etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It's removal coincided with them cutting way back on spending on original programming on the network to increase profitability and Austin doesn't come cheap, but one has to suspect that it hasn't been back because Austin goes into things the company would rather he didn't (Chyna on the Triple H episode, Punk with Vince, the problems with Brock on the Ambrose show etc).

I really doubt it’s that. If you think the likes of Austin, Conrad etc are going rogue against Vince on his Network for the sake of pleasing the fans, you’re working yourself into a shoot brother. With all of those topics on the Austin show, for example, the production team had graphics instantly ready to accompany them on-screen. All involved knew it’d be brought up and it was given the okay.

Even if Austin decided to go rogue, some production assistant who’d get fired in a heartbeat certainly didn’t go in on it with him. Austin likely wouldn’t even ask them to do so or he’d be an absolute arsehole.

Watching SETWW. Seeing them openly discuss Shawn f*cking Sunny is quite something. Would be really great if Bischoff's show ended up on the network in time too. Feels like fans really have a thirst for this deep dive into the dirt.

Also must note, with the visuals of the guys & the b roll footage added, and the guys toning down some of the horseplay to fit into a 90 minute-ish window, it makes their actual podcast feel a little redundant. This is an infinitely superior presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

26904521_1127246077412969_8939604634627318811_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=67ad0dd2cc548a2572580f12ce5e01c0&oe=5B79E475

'The Spandex Pantomime with Justy' is now FREE on iTunes. We have a load of really fun past episodes up there, including with Jordan Devlin, B-Cool, Debbie Keitel, Katey Harvey, LJ Cleary, J-Money, and a brand new one with Alexander Dean released today.

Even though I produce it, I'll honestly say this is the wrestling podcast I enjoy more than any other. I'm kind of over 'wrestler X interviews wrestler Y' podcasts mimicking the Art of Wrestling, or fans interviewing wrestlers, asking what their influences are and just getting worked because they want to be friends. But where Justy's show differs is that these are his mates, he's deliberately not refined so will turn normal podcasts on their head, while still getting the meaty stuff in. For example, this week's show has him doing an impression of his guest as a reptilian overlord politicking and getting into the ear of other wrestlers and promoters. You just don't get that stuff on Talk Is Jericho. :pac:

Anyway it's on iTunes or all podcasting apps now so check it out!

I have enjoyed the last few STWW episodes on The Big Boss Man, Brother Love & The British Bulldog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I have enjoyed the last few STWW episodes on The Big Boss Man, Brother Love & The British Bulldog.

its good to hear about the lower guys not always hogan,hbk, macho etc good change of pace even though you still hear plenty about the main guys throughout it also.

Agree with this. I was unenthused about the Bossman episode but I've enjoyed the change of pace.

What has everyone been making of the Bisch show, 4 weeks in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Conrad the podcast god is once again killing it with Bischoff. Another great podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

As said before Eric covered a lot of this before or just has forgotten it. I also think this period has been covered so much that's it does feel exhausted. Something I feel both shows need to do is stop blasting the dirt sheets. I feel both Eric and Bruce seem to have a rant at them every week it's becoming a turn-off.

I would be more into this podcast format with Eric about his time in TNA. It's a lot more recent so Eric can't' "Forgot" as much as he does with WCW and hasn't been covered in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It's a lot more recent so Eric can't' "Forgot" as much as he does with WCW and hasn't been covered in detail.

Himself, Russo & Hogan aren't in the honesty business. Quite frankly the 3 of them tend to be full of sh*t when it comes to recollecting anything outside of positives on themselves.

• Advertisement

As said before Eric covered a lot of this before or just has forgotten it. I also think this period has been covered so much that's it does feel exhausted. Something I feel both shows need to do is stop blasting the dirt sheets. I feel both Eric and Bruce seem to have a rant at them every week it's becoming a turn-off.

I would be more into this podcast format with Eric about his time in TNA. It's a lot more recent so Eric can't' "Forgot" as much as he does with WCW and hasn't been covered in detail.

Eric is still in litigation with TNA (Dixie specifically I believe) so they won't discuss TNA in detail unfortunately.

Also, completely agree re the sheet bashing. Very tiresome.

Advertisement