Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Has anyone ever had the misfortune of hearing The Wrestler Review podcast?

The drizzling ****s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I am 1 hr 30minutes into the Austin and Bret hart appearance on the E&C podcast and yes it is indeed unbelievable. Bret sounds engaged and wants to talk and he says he's watched the match back recently and some of the details they both give are amazing and I'm not even finished it yet.

Also Bret worked blue a few times. Just hearing E&C sound in awe sitting under the learning tree. And that's a WWE hall of famer and a future one who has held a belt that only three people it this business ever held.

Austin has such a great mind for wrestling. The little things he can pick up on is amazing. How WWE don't utilise him in the performance centre even a few times. Imagine all those youngster sitting under that learning tree and he along with regal and others. Those youngsters would learn so much.

just finished it there was just such a fascinating listen to what goes through there minds setting up a match.

i really hope they can do more of these anatomy of a match just great great stuff. would make for a great wwe network show hopefully they get some more at mania.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Also Bret worked blue a few times. Just hearing E&C sound in awe sitting under the learning tree. And that's a WWE hall of famer and a future one who has held a belt that only three people it this business ever held.

I had a giggle at this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Bischoff & Conrad are going to be doing a podcast together. That should be a great listen. Bischoff is argumentative as **** and you know Conrad is going to get him all fired up with Observer & Torch stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,878 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

want to get into wrestling podcasts

What are the best free ones that are available on Soundwave, Tunein apps etc ???

PTH2009 wrote: »
    want to get into wrestling podcasts

What are the best free ones that are available on Soundwave, Tunein apps etc ???

Something to wrestle with - bruce prichard can be long but find them great for work or walking

Edge and christian- easy listen always great

stone cold - hit and miss but more hit for me as i love listening to austin

there the only ones i listen to regularly

Jericho's show is worth downloading, but like Austin, it's pretty much an inst-delete when he has a non wrestling guest. When either have a wrestling guest though, they are usually great shows, particularly Chris'.

If you want an easy listen covering current day stuff, John Pollock & Wai Ting's Rewind-A-Raw and Rewind-A-Smackdown are great. Pollock is like Meltzer jr, providing good analysis and very well up on everything, whereas Wai is more casual and provides a different perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

I like Cornette's Drive Thru and the Experience for the classic wrestling stuff. He gets a good rant going too, which is fun. I especially like when he does his diary dives into his time in Crockett Promotions and WCW.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Sky sports wwe guys have a new podcast called Lock up. It’s really good.

Last weeks episode with Michael Cole was brilliant. Cole comes across really well and knowledgeable and an all round nice guy. Worth a listen for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

OTT have started their own podcast hosted by Aonghus óg Mcanally. Seems to be mainly a promo thing for upcoming shows but in the first episode at least it has "Joe Cabray aka Luther Ward who talks OTT, Booking, Future plans and more"

https://ottwrestling.podbean.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭ThePott

http://thisirishlife.podbean.com/e/this-irish-life-38-journey-of-a-cork-wrestler-billy-bedlam/

Really Interesting interview with Billy Bedlam from CCW talking about his journey into wrestling, well worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 60,343 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I haven't listened to it yet as it's only starting this week and hasn't dropped yet but I like the guys presenting it.

Some of the Totally Football pod guys have started a wrestling pod called "Parts Unknown" WM 34 preview id the first episode.

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/982504906727669760

Something (else) to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard coming to the WWE Network. I can only presume they believed the 'fake' download numbers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Monokne wrote: »
    Something (else) to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard coming to the WWE Network. I can only presume they believed the 'fake' download numbers. :D

You're laughing here but you probably don't know that iTunes recently made a change where you can't count someone going back and listening to your podcast as a 'new' hit, pretty much confirming that the length of their episodes padded the figures multiple fold (it wasn't reported as such, I just heard about the iTunes thing and it was the first thing I thought of). Which is fair to assume since they were pretty much claiming to have more people listening than watched episodes of Raw and SmackDown.

Also, WWE think a podcast is a sit-down interview. Remember they did a series of podcasts that weren't actually podcasts? So, for all their resources, they're not exactly experts in the field either.

Good for Bruce (and presumably Conrad), though. They made enough noise to get a WWE deal out of it. I'll check this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I like the idea of video version of podcast on Network especially for PPV episodes.

Couple great podcasts I heard this week:

Wai & John had Conrad Thomson on discussing the business of podcasting. Really interesting insight into how hard it is to monetize, with Conrad mentioning that even 8 months into the show when they were hitting 2 million downloads a month, they were still only making 1500 bucks a month in advertising when they were using all the standard advertisers - Blue Apron, Kasper Mattress, etc, with the real revenue being from their t-shirts and live shows, although surprisingly he said the biggest income generator from the show is the business it drives to his mortgage company. He also goes into detail on their network show which will allegedly be 60 - 90 minutes in length, follow the same format and there'll be nothing off limits (I'll believe that when I see it!)

Wai & John weighed in that they have found that developing personal relationships with their customers has been the only way for them to make money, thru Patreon etc. They believe that even if they got rid of all their bonus content most of their punters would still support them just for the sake of supporting them. I suspect they are right.

Anyway, those are just some of the key points but it's a good listen all in, particularly to juxtapose how both are running successful podcasts with completely different models.

Bruce Mitchell & Wade Keller
    did a watch along podcast for the Andre documentary. Mitchell is really strong on history so there is good insight to be gleamed her. Won't spoil it but one key note is that Andre wanted nothing to do with his daughter to the point that he denied she was his and sued the girls mother, before eventually conceding she was his a couple years before he died. The documentary would certainly give you a different impression. All in all though, it's a really good companion piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I really enjoyed The IIconics interview with Lilian Garcia. Especially how much of influence Eddie was for Peyton Royce.

• Advertisement

Lilians podcasts are cool. They bring a female voice and a different take into the male crowded wrestling podcast world.

Conrad Thompson must be rolling it if he can basically work fulltime on the podcasts and leaving his mortgage business in the hands of staff.

He's now got Bischoff on an 83 week podcast covering every week that WCW lead the WWE in the ratings.

I really enjoyed The IIconics interview with Lilian Garcia. Especially how much of influence Eddie was for Peyton Royce.

Yeah a very good one as were the episodes with Mandy rose and Sonya.

I hope peyton gets to meet Vickie at least. I hope Lillian makes that happen at some point.

Conrad Thompson must be rolling it if he can basically work fulltime on the podcasts and leaving his mortgage business in the hands of staff.

He's now got Bischoff on an 83 week podcast covering every week that WCW lead the WWE in the ratings.

I'd say he's minted and when is the bischoff one debuting then ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'd say he's minted and when is the bischoff one debuting then ?

End of the month I think.

First episode of Something Else to Wrestle with...... is up on the Network now and it's one hour and fifty minutes long.

Skype split screen podcast looks a bit cheap ass and sound isn't great.

WM 14 topic.

New episode out every Wednesday.

First episode of Something Else to Wrestle with...... is up on the Network now and it's one hour and fifty minutes long.

WM 14 topic.

New episode out every Wednesday.

Apparently WWE wanted it to look 'raw' and 'underground'. The software used was there's as well (the guys usually just use Skype), and the whole setup is WWE's, including the cameras. They could really frame Conrad better. Bruce is ok but Conrad is too close to the camera.

I enjoyed the show, but was surprised how bad the production was. It's one thing to make it look raw or uncut, but the lagging of the video and it not being in HD was a bit too rinky dink for my tastes. Conrad says they did no rehearsal and this was their first take, so they're working out the kinks as they go, and it should be better next week and hopefully better again the following week.

I very much like having WWE footage to add to the conversation. The WM14 clips really added colour to the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Watching now and really enjoying it, I think I prefer this format to the podcast even. The clips make it and I'd like a lot more in future. Agree with what everyone is saying about Skype, it feels cheap for the WWE Network. But at the same time I see the idea behind it (we're doing it like we've always done it, just because we're on the Network won't change that we can and will say whatever we like). I also find them more likeable while able to see them: Conrad in particular can come across snarky and a bit of a dick at times on the podcast, but I feel like I get him more with a visual, and Bruce just looks like he's having a blast. Will definitely watch more.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Agreed, whilst knowing it was WWE's call. Way below acceptable "TV" quality, maybe S2 they'll tape the shows in person in a studio. Maybe it's a way for WWE to show that it's not really their product? On the WWE Network!

2018 is very weird territory!

• Advertisement

Interesting to note they usually use Skype and WWE insisted on another type of software. Skype has its issues but it doesn't tend to lag as consistently and badly as this in my experience.

It is super weird hearing some of this on WWE's own network, like Conrad mentioning Chyna and joking about Hunter being unhappy with it, or hearing them mention Dave Meltzer over and over and over again.

Still, this is what the network should be. There should be more 'off message' content. It doesn't have to be such a cult. Even shows like Ride Along which were enjoyable at first have become these half baked works riddled with silly unrealistic behaviour and the cult language stuff (I've yet to speak to a real human being who uses the term sports entertainment or WWE universe).

Advertisement