Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    Vagga|4|38 miles|371 miles|Both my and other halves birthday this week, but still got 4 runs done, including my first ever 20 - very happy with how things are going :cool:|
    Nules10|2|7|391.5|leg still at me getting worried now :(|
    liamog|||249.1 miles||
    Concerned2|||440.33 miles||
    Househunter|||488 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||262.5m|
    TomD101|||262since 04/07||
    ShivDCM|2|8|345m|calf strain|
    BobMac104|||360.05 ||
    red face dave|3|15|219 miles|Missed my LSR this week a few little niggles so I said better not push it, a tough week this week is more important|
    Younganne|4|31|248.5m|training going well, no problems at the moment TG...hope that continues!
    rom|4|29 miles|394.64 miles||
    TiptoeMushroom|||260.5km since June 22nd. ||
    mazken|4|33|318.8 miles|good step back week! not as daunted about next week's schedule as I thought I'd be! we're getting there...slowly but surely :) |
    maggiemissy|||419 miles| |
    run44 (Aoife)|4|30miles|414.7 miles since June|Starting to feel like a runner now... ;)|
    specialk1977|||122| |
    maggiemissy|||384.1|| Someone quotes me bewtween edit's. forgot to update total for a few weeks. Just wondering as it might get lost with all the newer posts. I started wearing skins as I got sick when I was out for the last 18 miler with a cold. But the skins are too tight and so its making my LSR very hard as they might be restricting my chest a bit. Anyone else use them on a LSR. Also wondering what do you all eat before your LSR morning and the night before ? Feeling very tired all the time now. Sweating at night in bed. I am taking Kinetica after the LSRs and hard sessions but I am going to take it more as I am feeling wrecked. Had planned to do a 20m today but I am a bit mad. Will just try an 18m next week and leave it wat that. My LSRs have been 14,15,sick,17,18,sick,14 (upset stomach so couldn't got farther),14 (toady) Have been doing lots of other millage since 28th June which is when my training started. Still worried that I won't get through it. Will go with a pacer as I find it very hard to slow down and my garmin lies to me

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭NeverHappy

Very very tired

only found this thread today and have some quick questions.

Following HH novice 1, missing very little. ran the race series 5m-46mins, 10m- 1hr27 and 1/2 in 1hr 49. lost 2 stone along the way which was my main/initial goal. 15st9 to 13st9.

ran an 18m LSR last sat and my legs are like lead since, not helped by the sleeping patterns from the rugby world cup. Just wondering if this is normal. Ran 14m today and felt a bit better but it kicks the confidence a bit when your legs don't recover.

also been using gels etc on LSR's. just wondering how this works at the DCM. I see they have gel stations. is it a case that you can grab a few or do i need people along the route to hand me stuff.

~Also am i mad to try for sub 4hr. finishing is my main objective but its just in the back of my mind following on from the 1/2 where i ran 10 mins faster than expected. Race pace was good but am i too ambitious

Thanks,
    and yes, oh so tired

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Vagga|4|38 miles|371 miles|Both my and other halves birthday this week, but still got 4 runs done, including my first ever 20 - very happy with how things are going :cool:|
    liamog|1|20|269.1 miles|Didn't make it out for any midweek sessions, my part time college course has started back. Ran a 20 Mile Long Rilun to make up the distance, much better than last week and pace was 5:55/km so more like what I should be training at|
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||262.5m|
    BobMac104|||360.05 ||
    red face dave|3|15|219 miles|Missed my LSR this week a few little niggles so I said better not push it, a tough week this week is more important|
    Younganne|4|31|248.5m|training going well, no problems at the moment TG...hope that continues!
    mazken|4|33|318.8 miles|good step back week! not as daunted about next week's schedule as I thought I'd be! we're getting there...slowly but surely :) |
    run44 (Aoife)|4|30miles|414.7 miles since June|Starting to feel like a runner now... ;)|
    specialk1977|||122| |
    maggiemissy|||384.1||

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

rom wrote: »
    I started wearing skins as I got sick when I was out for the last 18 miler with a cold. But the skins are too tight and so its making my LSR very hard as they might be restricting my chest a bit. Anyone else use them on a LSR. Also wondering what do you all eat before your LSR morning and the night before ? Feeling very tired all the time now. Sweating at night in bed. I am taking Kinetica after the LSRs and hard sessions but I am going to take it more as I am feeling wrecked. Had planned to do a 20m today but I am a bit mad. Will just try an 18m next week and leave it wat that. My LSRs have been 14,15,sick,17,18,sick,14 (upset stomach so couldn't got farther),14 (toady) Have been doing lots of other millage since 28th June which is when my training started. Still worried that I won't get through it. Will go with a pacer as I find it very hard to slow down and my garmin lies to me :(

Why are you wearing the skins if they're not comfortable?
    You say you find it hard to slow down, have you been running too much, too fast? Might be worth looking at this overtraining thread...

Nules10 wrote: »
    Thanks younganne. Yeah he said the rest of my training was to be a run/walk strategy. Run for as long as i can but once pain sets in i have to walk and to keep doing this the next day and so on.

It seems like a bit of an odd strategy, to be honest. If you're going to run/walk, wouldn't you be better off walking at regular intervals before running starts to hurt? Run two miles, walk 2 minutes, all the way through?

• Advertisement

NeverHappy wrote: »
    Following HH novice 1, missing very little. ran the race series 5m-46mins, 10m- 1hr27 and 1/2 in 1hr 49. lost 2 stone along the way which was my main/initial goal. 15st9 to 13st9.

ran an 18m LSR last sat and my legs are like lead since, not helped by the sleeping patterns from the rugby world cup. Just wondering if this is normal. Ran 14m today and felt a bit better but it kicks the confidence a bit when your legs don't recover.

also been using gels etc on LSR's. just wondering how this works at the DCM. I see they have gel stations. is it a case that you can grab a few or do i need people along the route to hand me stuff.

~Also am i mad to try for sub 4hr.

You've improved a lot over the race series - from your 5 and 10 mile times I would have said 4 hours was too fast, but your half marathon time was on target.

Are you running your LSR at a slow pace? How about your midweek runs?

They do have a couple of gel stations on the marathon route, but I think you're better off carrying them with you. There was a recent thread about how to do this. When you are banking on being able to take these gels its better to be self-sufficient - what happens if your friends are stuck in traffic, or you don't see them, or you get to the gel station and they've run out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

RayCun wrote: »
    It seems like a bit of an odd strategy, to be honest. If you're going to run/walk, wouldn't you be better off walking at regular intervals before running starts to hurt? Run two miles, walk 2 minutes, all the way through?

Thanks ray. I think i may have took him up wrong. So in training do i run two miles and walk 2 mins for a set distance or for as long as i can. I am a bit unsure of how to do a run/walk strategy. I might have to google that one. He said on race day it will be a case of run5k walk5k for the full distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I started wearing skins as I got sick when I was out for the last 18 miler with a cold. But the skins are too tight and so its making my LSR very hard as they might be restricting my chest a bit. Anyone else use them on a LSR. Also wondering what do you all eat before your LSR morning and the night before ? Feeling very tired all the time now. Sweating at night in bed. I am taking Kinetica after the LSRs and hard sessions but I am going to take it more as I am feeling wrecked. Had planned to do a 20m today but I am a bit mad. Will just try an 18m next week and leave it wat that. My LSRs have been 14,15,sick,17,18,sick,14 (upset stomach so couldn't got farther),14 (toady) Have been doing lots of other millage since 28th June which is when my training started. Still worried that I won't get through it. Will go with a pacer as I find it very hard to slow down and my garmin lies to me :(
    I haven't used skins, but I was going to use them for recovery, not on the actual runs. Not experienced with them, so not sure what to suggest.
    I also use Kinetica recovery drink after hard sessions, incl LSRs and find it helps a lot. Did my LSR yesterday and feeling pretty good today!

As far as I know, if you're following a run/walk strategy properly* you should decide your intervals before the race and follow them from the beginning. That could be 'run 10 minutes, walk 1 minute", "run one mile, walk one mile" or whatever. Jeff Galloway seems to be the guy for run/walk - here's a page from his website, and here's an interview he did with Marathon Talk. The idea is to push out the point at which your legs stop working, ideally beyond the end of the race, by taking these regular breaks.

*and not just running as far as you can then walking the rest

Nules10 wrote: »
    Thanks ray. I think i may have took him up wrong. So in training do i run two miles and walk 2 mins for a set distance or for as long as i can. I am a bit unsure of how to do a run/walk strategy. I might have to google that one. He said on race day it will be a case of run5k walk5k for the full distance.
    I think it's commonly call the Galloway method, as he came up with it. You could search for one of his training plans.

• Advertisement

Did the last of my long, long runs yesterday. I'd had a steak, spuds and carrots the night before, a belly full. Morning of the run I had my usual porridge with raisins, tea and toast with marmalade and numerous sips of water. I was going to have a banana too but I would have been feeling pretty full. I gave that lot 30mins to settle and left when the Ireland v Italy game was 3-3.
    I started out trying to keep my pace just under 6min/k, with I found ultra slow, but I kept it going. At the 2:30 mark I still had energy and pushed on although it had started raining. At the 3hr mark I was feeling great so I pushed the pace up to about 5:30-5:20min/k for the last 20mins. I wasn't showing off, I just had to show myself that I could do this and that despite the distance/time covered I could push when needed.
    I finished the run having covered just under 33k in 3:20. Avg pace is slow, but felt really good after it.
    I had a recovery drink, chicken noodles, fruit and water afterwards and today I'm feeling 100%! So much better than last week's LSR!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alanking

Ran my 22m (longest run) on Sat morning in torrential rain. Great to see a large number of people out running, despite the weather.

Didn't really eat right on Friday evening in preparation - on Sat morning had a bowl of porridge and a coffee - waited for the coffee to do its thing :-) - then headed off about 8am.

Got knee pain at about 9miles - thought about going home - but walked for a bit and it went away - kept going then with a couple of 10 second walk/stretch breaks.

Really tried to run at a slow pace - averaged 9min miles which I found difficult at the start but needed it at the end. 22m in 3hr 25m.

Here's to a 3:45 'injury free' marathon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Tec Diver wrote: »
    Did the last of my long, long runs yesterday. I'd had a steak, spuds and carrots the night before, a belly full. Morning of the run I had my usual porridge with raisins, tea and toast with marmalade and numerous sips of water. I was going to have a banana too but I would have been feeling pretty full. I gave that lot 30mins to settle and left when the Ireland v Italy game was 3-3.
    I started out trying to keep my pace just under 6min/k, with I found ultra slow, but I kept it going. At the 2:30 mark I still had energy and pushed on although it had started raining. At the 3hr mark I was feeling great so I pushed the pace up to about 5:30-5:20min/k for the last 20mins. I wasn't showing off, I just had to show myself that I could do this and that despite the distance/time covered I could push when needed.
    I finished the run having covered just under 33k in 3:20. Avg pace is slow, but felt really good after it.
    I had a recovery drink, chicken noodles, fruit and water afterwards and today I'm feeling 100%! So much better than last week's LSR!!

You ticked all the boxes there, fed well the night before, fuelled up in the morning and ran slow enough to have a kick in the end of the run.

Well done, just make sure to keep the same formula for DCM eve and morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

As far as I know, if you're following a run/walk strategy properly* you should decide your intervals before the race and follow them from the beginning. That could be 'run 10 minutes, walk 1 minute", "run one mile, walk one mile" or whatever. Jeff Galloway seems to be the guy for run/walk - here's a page from his website, and here's an interview he did with Marathon Talk. The idea is to push out the point at which your legs stop working, ideally beyond the end of the race, by taking these regular breaks.

*and not just running as far as you can then walking the rest
    Thanks a mil for that Ray. I think i have to build up the tendon in my hip first so will concentrate on that this week and then come up with a run/walk plan. Disappointed about having to walk but its the only wasy i will get around. I will check that website out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

liamog|1|20|269.1 miles|Didn't make it out for any midweek sessions, my part time college course has started back. Ran a 20 Mile Long Rilun to make up the distance, much better than last week and pace was 5:55/km so more like what I should be training at|
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||262.5m|
    BobMac104|5|41|401.05 |Good week overall. hurt my foot on tuesday but it cleared up fast. Cork to cobh yeaterday (15m) and managed to average 8:30 pace and still felt strong at the end gives me good confidence for dublin (hoping for 4 hours). Legs feel good this morning.|
    specialk1977|||122| |
    maggiemissy|||384.1||

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Househunter|5|43.3|584 miles|Good week. Did 5k Liz McDonnell xc race yesterday and was good fun. Got a PB for it too after doing my LSR on Sat so happy with that|
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||262.5m|
    BobMac104|5|41|401.05 |Good week overall. hurt my foot on tuesday but it cleared up fast. Cork to cobh yeaterday (15m) and managed to average 8:30 pace and still felt strong at the end gives me good confidence for dublin (hoping for 4 hours). Legs feel good this morning.|
    specialk1977|||122| |
    maggiemissy|||384.1||

Why are you wearing the skins if they're not comfortable?
    You say you find it hard to slow down, have you been running too much, too fast? Might be worth looking at this overtraining thread...

Wearing them as I got sick when I did my last 18 miler in the rain and don't want to get sick again. Think I will stop wearing them alright. Hope it doesn't rain next Sunday. Will give that thread a look thanks.

Ok so after reading the thread thats me over training :)

Thanks a mil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Wearing them as I got sick when I did my last 18 miler in the rain and don't want to get sick again. Think I will stop wearing them alright. Hope it doesn't rain next Sunday. Will give that thread a look thanks.

Ok so after reading the thread thats me over training :)

Thanks a mil

How will wearing skins stop you getting sick? Once you have a bath or shower within a reasonable time if you get a soaking then running the rain is not going to make you sick regardless of what you wear.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I bought a pair of running tights (the Asics Dublin Marathon ones you get free for buying a pair of Asics runners) they've been great for keeping me warm on the runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

liamog wrote: »
    I bought a pair of running tights (the Asics Dublin Marathon ones you get free for buying a pair of Asics runners) they've been great for keeping me warm on the runs.

It hasn't been cold in months plus you're running for miles and miles, why do you need something to keep you warm?:)

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    How will wearing skins stop you getting sick? Once you have a bath or shower within a reasonable time if you get a soaking then running the rain is not going to make you sick regardless of what you wear.
    I thought it would keep me warm ? but the problem was that day it was raining when I started running.

liamog wrote: »
    I like buying stuff so probably another excuse to spend more money and look at all the shinny stuff in the running shop tbh. But really the problem is probably that I didnt spend too long in the shower as we had a visitor when I came back from the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Looking for a bit of advice...I did 20 miles on the nose yesterday in 2.34. Happy with this, so feel progress is going OK to date. Previous 3 long runs were the previous 3 Saturdays, 16, 17, 17.5 miles, all at a slightly slower pace. Was just wondering could anyone suggest the distance of long runs for the final 3 weeks? I'll be keeping similar pace, 8 or slightly sub 8 minute miles. I want to do 20 miles again, maybe in two weeks time? Would say 16, 20, 15 over the next 3 long runs make sense? For various reasons don't want to do a huge session next week, about 16 would do. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Another LSR question.

I missed yesterday's 3/4..........don't laugh i forgot my runners at home:o. Anyway making up it by doing the distance on Wen afternoon.

I hope to do 13 or 14 at the weekend and then a final LSR on the 16th of 21.5 M, is that too close to DCM. It will give me a 2 week taper ? Not looking to break any records, just finish after the medical problems i've had along the way.

Basster wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice...I did 20 miles on the nose yesterday in 2.34. Happy with this, so feel progress is going OK to date. Previous 3 long runs were the previous 3 Saturdays, 16, 17, 17.5 miles, all at a slightly slower pace. Was just wondering could anyone suggest the distance of long runs for the final 3 weeks? I'll be keeping similar pace, 8 or slightly sub 8 minute miles. I want to do 20 miles again, maybe in two weeks time? Would say 16, 20, 15 over the next 3 long runs make sense? For various reasons don't want to do a huge session next week, about 16 would do. Thanks!

There's no point in doing 15 the week before the race, you're not going to benefit from it. 16, 20, 10 maybe? What are you doing in your other runs?

Another LSR question.

I missed yesterday's 3/4..........don't laugh i forgot my runners at home:o. Anyway making up it by doing the distance on Wen afternoon.

I hope to do 13 or 14 at the weekend and then a final LSR on the 16th of 21.5 M, is that too close to DCM. It will give me a 2 week taper ? Not looking to break any records, just finish after the medical problems i've had along the way.

Why not do 20 this weekend, 14 the following weekend, and 8 the weekend before the race (as it says in the Higdon plan)? 21.5 miles two weeks before Dublin seems like a lot for a novice who has had injury problems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Why not do 20 this weekend, 14 the following weekend, and 8 the weekend before the race (as it says in the Higdon plan)? 21.5 miles two weeks before Dublin seems like a lot for a novice who has had injury problems...

Thats sounds fine, just worried about jumping to 26.2 on DCM day. No injuries, just found out i have diabetes.........caused me to be tired and miss some training. I was hoping for 4:30 but just finishing is the main goal now.

Lots of other marathons to work on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Basster wrote: »
    There's no point in doing 15 the week before the race, you're not going to benefit from it. 16, 20, 10 maybe? What are you doing in your other runs?

Ray that leaves a very short taper. Would it not be more beneficial to have a long taper as apposed to a second 20 miler with only 2 weeks from the race.
    I would be more in favour of , 12 (step back, three 16+ LSR's for last 3 weeks), 14-16, & 10.

Thats sounds fine, just worried about jumping to 26.2 on DCM day.

This is one of those things that it's easier to say in hindsight -

The extra mile or two on your LSR isn't going to make that much difference on your LSRs.
    Running a marathon is not easy. And there is something different about the miles from 20 to 26.2, because you could run out of glycogen.
    But the main difference is in your mind. It's just you thinking "I've never run that far before :eek::eek::eek:"
    But you can run that far. If you've done a few LSRs in the 16-20 mile range, if you've put in your weeks of 30+ mile training, your body is able for the distance. All you really need to worry about is running at the right pace - finding the pace that you can maintain for the distance, not getting caught up in the excitement at the start and burning up too fast. If you run steady through the first 20 miles, the last six will be a walk in the park manageable :D

(That's me jinxed now - expect me to limp out at mile 12 :) )

• Advertisement

ger664 wrote: »
    Ray that leaves a very short taper. Would it not be more beneficial to have a long taper as apposed to a second 20 miler with only 2 weeks from the race.
    I would be more in favour of , 12 (step back, three 16+ LSR's for last 3 weeks), 14-16, & 10.

Yeah, I'd agree, but the guy seems to be fairly experienced.

Advertisement