Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

devilsad wrote: »
    Thanks so much for that. And for this weekend? If you say I should opt out of the 20 miles, what distance should I do this weekend instead?

Sorry posted as this was posted so I missed it first time around. I think this comes down to the person. If you feel you are confident in your abilities I would say no however if you are struggling to comprehend finishing 26.2 miles come race day then you may need to have the mental edge. How have you found you recover from your longer runs usually?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Mr Slow wrote: »
    It will appear that Ray was mentoring last year too! :D

In the kingdom of the stark raving lunatics, the merely eccentric is king:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

ecoli wrote: »
    Sorry posted as this was posted so I missed it first time around. I think this comes down to the person. If you feel you are confident in your abilities I would say no however if you are struggling to comprehend finishing 26.2 miles come race day then you may need to have the mental edge. How have you found you recover from your longer runs usually?

Well put.

netmann wrote: »
    I had been running midweek runs about 1 minute per mile faster than PMP. Any other comments on that plan for a novice?

The plan looks fine - the taper is the only important bit now, and that looks fine too. If you've been doing your midweek run a minute faster than PMP, keep that up to the en of the plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 paddi

TomD101|3|37|300since 04/07|did the Athlone 3/4 on Sunday. Tore my calf muscle (grade1) and my body proceeded to fall apart. gutted out for 3 weeks|

Tom, and appreciate anyone else who can help comment;
    maybe we can learn from our situations. Like you my calf muscle torn last friday during lsr. The Doc did ultra sound and told me it's grade 1 (seems very minor from the image), and ask me to rest for 2 weeks. I stopped my run immediately after I felt the cramp-like local pain when it happened, and the pain disappeared immediately. After that it was just tightness and minor local pain when stretched. After 4 days of rest, I feel almost normal now. I read that grade 1 normally takes 10-14 days for complete recovery. I may resume light jog in 4-5 days, and try to get up to several runs including a 10mile around 10days before DCM. The Doc told me no fitness loss with one week rest. How about your case, is your calf in pain and what did the diagnosis shows? The Doc advise me not to cycle, but swimming, rowing are ok.

anyone else can shed some info/experience?

• Advertisement

The forum charter specifically forbids giving medical advice.

One person's calf pain may have different causes to someone else's, one person' muscle tear may respond to different treatment, in a different way, to someone else's. Go with the advice of the medical professional who has seen the injury in person, not a diagnosis from the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Been dipping in and out of this thread and going to throw in a couple of things. Use them if you wish to or not.

Doing your first marathon is a leap into the unknown of 6 miles or so if you've done a 20 lsr. That 6.2 miles is massive when you add in the factor of nerves and the extra distance.

Don't get too hung up on the time you would love to do, the world record attempt can wait for another day. Start slow and don't go off like a hare, its far easier said than done.

If its your first big training plan, you may have a few niggling injuries (i do), thats normal but if you have to drop a run because your physio told you, drop it. Less is more at this point and you will only make the injury worse.

Taper madness will happen to most of you. You will have bundles of energy but can't run. The people you live with will tell you (if they're honest) that you're unbearable and there isn't enough food in the world to stop you been hungry. Great craic on this thread for the next week or two i predict.:D

Know what clothes/runners/water belt or not you are wearing on the day and wear them all on a couple of runs. Know what gels/drinks you are going to take on the day. Sunday should be the last day for experiments.

Don't wear layers of clothes on the day, bring old clothes that you can live without as if its cold at 9.30am, you can throw them off over the first few miles. Ditto for the rain. Bringing a jacket/jumper around the course is alot of weight that you don't need.

Mental strength is a big asset in a marathon. This will help you through the pain and there's no point in lying to you, there'll be pain. Even the Kenyans who do 2.05 marathons collapse over the line and are in agony and its their job.

So enjoy it, cross the line under the clock as it looks great in the photo. You won't do a first marathon again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Hi Chinguetti - do you give marriage advice too? Substitute "wedding day" for marathon in there....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

brownian wrote: »
    Hi Chinguetti - do you give marriage advice too? Substitute "wedding day" for marathon in there....

Well i've never been married but been a best man twice if that helps.

So can't offer any martial advice but i think the mental strength bit would count for all events.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭devilsad

ecoli wrote: »

Recovery has been fine. I ran 26.8k on Sunday and ran 10k this evening without a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Anyone know of any good hotel deals for the night before the race? Might head up if the price was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

chinguetti wrote: »
    Don't wear layers of clothes on the day, bring old clothes that you can live without as if its cold at 9.30am, you can throw them off over the first few miles. Ditto for the rain. Bringing a jacket/jumper around the course is alot of weight that you don't need.

Have only ran summer races before when weather was nice n warm. Last two lsrs have been in heavy rain, which mad it feel cool enough with long sleeve running top, even though it wasn't that cold out.

Was planning on wearing long sleeve top on the day, with a hoodie with me for disgarding after start or maybe light disposable rain jacket. What's the story with your race number if you are disgarding layers? Can you put it on an under layer? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well i've never been married but been a best man twice if that helps.

Always the bridesmaid.....;)
    So can't offer any martial advice but i think the mental strength bit would count for all events.:D

I've been married for 8 years and thankfully haven't required any self defence to date.

Mr abbey wrote: »
    What's the story with your race number if you are disgarding layers? Can you put it on an under layer? :confused:

You might be asked to show your number before the start, and you WILL have to show your number at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

RayCun wrote: »
    You might be asked to show your number before the start, and you WILL have to show your number at the end.

But the chip is ok if it's underneath other layers? Imagine?

Mr abbey wrote: »
    But the chip is ok if it's underneath other layers? Imagine?

Should be fine. To be honest, I can't imagine you'll still have those extra layers on at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Quick question guys.

My last LSR was 18 miles in 3.14. I found it ok, I had a lot left in my legs i think (or hope). I have another 20 miles planned for this week and Im wondering what pace to run it at. My primary goal is to finish but Id like to try for sub 4 too if possible.

I feel that my previous long runs have been too slow. But I know that my LSR should not be at marathon pace. Is there a specific pace I could run at where i could gain an idea of my chances for sub 4? At the moment I just dont know where to start as regards pace on the day. My half time from Dublin 2011 is 1.48.50. I dont get how people can estimate time when they dont run at marathon pace? Id like a final good run with a decent time to build up my confidence a bit if possible.

I know these questions are difficult to answer but any help would be very much appreciated.

Ive spent the past 45 minutes or so reading back through race reports in the previous DCM novice mentored training threads. Some great stories and reports in there. The closer the marathon gets, the more obsessed Im getting!!:rolleyes:

LaHaine wrote: »
    I feel that my previous long runs have been too slow. But I know that my LSR should not be at marathon pace. Is there a specific pace I could run at where i could gain an idea of my chances for sub 4? At the moment I just dont know where to start as regards pace on the day. My half time from Dublin 2011 is 1.48.50. I dont get how people can estimate time when they dont run at marathon pace? Id like a final good run with a decent time to build up my confidence a bit if possible.

Your half time is right on target for sub four, so don't worry. Run your LSR easy, between 9.30 and 10 pace, no faster.

Your last sentence is the thing that causes problems. People want to know they can run at marathon pace, so they run 15 miles at marathon pace in training 'just to see'. They want to know that they can run 26.2 miles, so they run 22 miles 'just to see'. They get to the week before the race, are worried that they haven't run enough, and go out for another 20 'just in case'.

If you run too hard in training, you will hurt your race. You need to trust in your training, step back from the edge, and save it for race day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Woddle wrote: »
    I would not agree with this the 20 miler would be too close to the marathon and you won't be fully recovered. And the 10 miler is again too close to marathon day.

Woddle, I forgot how to read a calender!! Long day at work... Yeah, last 20 mile run should be at least 13 or 14 days before the marathon.. 10 miler at least 7 days.... Sorry if I confused you OP...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

RayCun wrote: »
    Your half time is right on target for sub four, so don't worry. Run your LSR easy, between 9.30 and 10 pace, no faster.

Your last sentence is the thing that causes problems. People want to know they can run at marathon pace, so they run 15 miles at marathon pace in training 'just to see'. They want to know that they can run 26.2 miles, so they run 22 miles 'just to see'. They get to the week before the race, are worried that they haven't run enough, and go out for another 20 'just in case'.

If you run too hard in training, you will hurt your race. You need to trust in your training, step back from the edge, and save it for race day.

Raycun is spot on the money here, I learned this the hard way. Do your 20 nice and easy and forget about MP till the day and have trust in your training and don't give into the doubting, believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Been dipping in and out of this thread and going to throw in a couple of things. Use them if you wish to or not.

Doing your first marathon is a leap into the unknown of 6 miles or so if you've done a 20 lsr. That 6.2 miles is massive when you add in the factor of nerves and the extra distance.

Don't get too hung up on the time you would love to do, the world record attempt can wait for another day. Start slow and don't go off like a hare, its far easier said than done.

If its your first big training plan, you may have a few niggling injuries (i do), thats normal but if you have to drop a run because your physio told you, drop it. Less is more at this point and you will only make the injury worse.

Taper madness will happen to most of you. You will have bundles of energy but can't run. The people you live with will tell you (if they're honest) that you're unbearable and there isn't enough food in the world to stop you been hungry. Great craic on this thread for the next week or two i predict.:D

Know what clothes/runners/water belt or not you are wearing on the day and wear them all on a couple of runs. Know what gels/drinks you are going to take on the day. Sunday should be the last day for experiments.

Mental strength is a big asset in a marathon. This will help you through the pain and there's no point in lying to you, there'll be pain. Even the Kenyans who do 2.05 marathons collapse over the line and are in agony and its their job.

So enjoy it, cross the line under the clock as it looks great in the photo. You won't do a first marathon again.

Can i just add to this.

Don't do like me at the 3/4 marathon last sunday............bring your runners:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I see there are 14,000 entries this year making it a record entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jamesmurphy1

Hi Lads
    Wsa hoping to get some help making up my mind what to do this week foe my LSR. Ran Athlone at the week end not sure what to do this week. I assume from my program HH Novice 2 that I will finish with a 12, 10, and 2M runs in the last three weeks + the mid week runs
    But what distance should my LSR be this week. I have done 2 X 20M runs so far in my program and do not want to over do it any thoughts

Maybe about 16? Take it easy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone is putting their name on their tshirt for the big day? Its been recommended to me a few times to give a bit of a morale boost when it gets tough! How do people usually do this? Can anyone recommend a place that add my name onto one of the race series technical tees?

Thanks!

run44 wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wondering if anyone is putting their name on their tshirt for the big day? Its been recommended to me a few times to give a bit of a morale boost when it gets tough! How do people usually do this? Can anyone recommend a place that add my name onto one of the race series technical tees?

Thanks!

Is that more of an american thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

No idea! Is it done much for DCM?

Well i won't be doing it............if i'm in pain and in a bad mood i might tell them to f*ck off:D

I'm pretty sure you can get it done at the Expo. Quite a few people had it done (or just their name written on their number or something) and you'd hear their names being called out as they ran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Thanks!

www.alstees.ie

Nope

It's becoming more popular
    Well i won't be doing it............if i'm in pain and in a bad mood i might tell them to f*ck off:D

Put 'Elvis' on it, I ran with Mr Slow on mine last year and the crowd really connects with you.

Race Report Here

Advertisement