Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

Thanks Ray, one other question, I'd ideally like to get in around 4.50, at what point would you think about trying to increase pace - ahead of the pace group? Should I run with them for 20 miles and see how I feel then?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

menoscemo wrote: »
    They'll be under strict instruction to run even splits, the same as all the other pace groups.

Yes, just talked to one of the guys
    the plan would be a steady 11.26 pace with also taking into account allowing people to get drinks at water tables etc
    Did Cork as 5 hour pacer last 2 years this way and had 4.59.47 and 4.59.34 finishes

I would say the best place to increase pace is the top of Fosters Avenue - its about mile 21 and the highest point on the course. If you can stay with the pacers on the uphill, it will be easy to pull away from them on the downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The Grid, I haven't had any IT Band issues since I got one!
    +1

That and the stick are very important, as they enable you to target work at home when you need to. So for a once off purchase they can save you $$$$ on future physio visits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

they can save you $$$$ on future physio visits :)

Or €€€€'s on this side of the Atlantic :P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Mileage is down, I've had a few brutal sessions and running 10/15/20 miles the next few days was not pleasant, plus all the kinks are ironed out and it's unlikely as the mileage decreases that you'll replace the removed knots with new ones.

That's a good reason to have a massage during the taper. I still think that if you're planning to do it then you should also have a massage earlier on in your training. I don't think that the taper is a time to be trying anything new.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Is anyone else doing the 3/4 in Athlone on Sunday. Its a tough course and if i can get through it i think i'll be fine for DCM.

Clearlier wrote: »
    That's a good reason to have a massage during the taper. I still think that if you're planning to do it then you should also have a massage earlier on in your training. I don't think that the taper is a time to be trying anything new.

You've a point there but you'd really want to end up with a butcher to end up with an injury after a sports massage, that said Shazkea was unlucky.....

I'm sure most of the more experienced people posting here have very good reliable physios, I know I do and I'm sure we'd all be happy to share their details by PM if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Marathon2011

RayCun wrote: »
    Running around 2/3 years and have completed 2 half marathons including the park this month. I am following Hal Novice 1 but have missed at least one short run each week...
    Are the missed short runs going to hurt me?

The short runs in the Novice 1 are mainly for recovery. They are valuable, but missing them is not going to stop you finishing. If you are still running okay on your long runs, that's a good sign.

Thanks ray. I'll keep at it so

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Jimh

Is anyone else doing the 3/4 in Athlone on Sunday. Its a tough course and if i can get through it i think i'll be fine for DCM.
    I'm trying to do it as well - I took 3:17 at Athlone last year (Lst 3 miles are tough) and had hoped to be nearer 3:00 this year but injured the back of my knee at mile 10 of the Dublin 1/2 so today was the first run since then 12Km at 5:59 Km's. I had two reasonable 1/2 but with injuries I only have a 15 Miler in and that was 6 weeks ago so I am going to treat the Athlone as a LSR and just try to get through it - I was also hoping to get an 18/20 miler in the week after but my knee is still a bit sore so I am just taking it ne run at a time.
    I am just too tight to lose my entry fee:D
    My two halfs were well under two hours so I had been hoping to wipe a good bit off my 4:30 marathon time last year but now it may be a case of seeing how I am at the time

You've a point there but you'd really want to end up with a butcher to end up with an injury after a sports massage, that said Shazkea was unlucky.....

I'm sure most of the more experienced people posting here have very good reliable physios, I know I do and I'm sure we'd all be happy to share their details by PM if required.

Thanks Mr. Slow but I'm lucky enough to have an excellent physio. If you did happen to know a really good masseuse in the Bournemouth area I'd be interested though :D. I know a guy in Enniskerry who's miles better than anybody else I've ever come across. He has a real gift for it. A bit too far away though!

Unfortunately I'm not running Dublin this year - did it last year as my first and had hoped to do it again this year but I had a couple of problems with getting new heel posts for orthotics and I didn't get the volume of training in that I wanted to so I've decided to pass. Hoping to hear back about London in the next day or two.

I just popped in here to see how others are getting on and maybe see if I could offer a little bit of advice. I can see that Ray is doing a great job but sometimes a different perspective can be helpful. That said I agree with 99.9% of what Ray says so probably not much use in me being here.

• Advertisement

Thanks Mr. Slow but I'm lucky enough to have an excellent physio. If you did happen to know a really good masseuse in the Bournemouth area I'd be interested though :D. I know a guy in Enniskerry who's miles better than anybody else I've ever come across. He has a real gift for it. A bit too far away though!

Unfortunately I'm not running Dublin this year - did it last year as my first and had hoped to do it again this year but I had a couple of problems with getting new heel posts for orthotics and I didn't get the volume of training in that I wanted to so I've decided to pass. Hoping to hear back about London in the next day or two.

I just popped in here to see how others are getting on and maybe see if I could offer a little bit of advice. I can see that Ray is doing a great job but sometimes a different perspective can be helpful. That said I agree with 99.9% of what Ray says so probably not much use in me being here.

The latter part of my post was directed at the Novice Marathoners, apologies if it seemed like I was offering you advice.

Your absolutely right about perspective and while Ray is doing a good job it's important that the rest of us hang around here to keep his feet on the ground ;)

The latter part of my post was directed at the Novice Marathoners, apologies if it seemed like I was offering you advice.

Your absolutely right about perspective and while Ray is doing a good job it's important that the rest of us hang around here to keep his feet on the ground ;)

I'm getting all touchy again amn't I! Sorry about that. No need to apologise.

I can see that Ray is doing a great job but sometimes a different perspective can be helpful. That said I agree with 99.9% of what Ray says so probably not much use in me being here.

The more the merrier!
    As long as none of you contradict me :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

As the day approaches I find I’m getting worried about pacing... I had an absolute nightmare at my only other marathon and blew to bits at the 19 mile mark (after not training nearly enough), so I started training for this 100% determined to follow a plan and that the goal was simply to run all the way to the end.

Now that it’s nearly here though... am starting to think that maybe I could do better than just finish. I’ve followed a marathon plan to the letter, and took over 10 minutes off my half time a couple weeks ago to do a 1:39. The calculators say I could be on for a 3:30, but I’m very conscious of the possibility of a rerun of 2009 and a meltdown 3/4 of the way through.

Would I be crazy to try and run with the 3:30 pacers on the day? My LSR’s have all been about 5:45-5:50 min/km, with a pace run each week of up to 8 miles at <5min/km. I know the sensible option is to go with the 4:00 guys and push on if I feel good, but I’m probably in the shape of my life (not saying much biggrin.gif) and hey... go hard or go home right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ger664

mfdc wrote: »
    As the day approaches I find I’m getting worried about pacing... I had an absolute nightmare at my only other marathon and blew to bits at the 19 mile mark (after not training nearly enough), so I started training for this 100% determined to follow a plan and that the goal was simply to run all the way to the end.

Now that it’s nearly here though... am starting to think that maybe I could do better than just finish. I’ve followed a marathon plan to the letter, and took over 10 minutes off my half time a couple weeks ago to do a 1:39. The calculators say I could be on for a 3:30, but I’m very conscious of the possibility of a rerun of 2009 and a meltdown 3/4 of the way through.

Would I be crazy to try and run with the 3:30 pacers on the day? My LSR’s have all been about 5:45-5:50 min/km, with a pace run each week of up to 8 miles at <5min/km. I know the sensible option is to go with the 4:00 guys and push on if I feel good, but I’m probably in the shape of my life (not saying much biggrin.gif) and hey... go hard or go home right?

How many runs over 18 miles have you done ? And of those runs did any contain miles @ 5min/KM (3:30 pace) ?

If you want to be conservative I would go with the 3:45 pacers 4 hours would be too slow for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

What about the 3:45 pacers? Based on your 1/2 time you should be ok with this as you have said you have followed your plan to the letter so you should have plenty of long runs. If you feel strong towards the end you can push on but you should be running at a pace your comfortable with.

ger664 wrote: »
    How many runs over 18 miles have you done ? And of those runs did any contain miles @ 5min/KM (3:30 pace) ?

Have done 3 runs so far of over 18 miles, one more to go next weekend @ 20 miles. They've all been at ~5:45min/KM since I was just planning on getting to the end rather than going for time. It's only since the half a couple weekends ago that I've been entertaining ideas of actually trying to beat a time (3:30 came from what the calculators gave me based on my half time).

You are cutting it very fine for a 3.30 time, based on that half result. You might make it, but you might melt down again. You're probably better off going for an easier target - 3.45 - and finishing strong. That's what I'd do anyway.

Thanks folks, that's what I needed to hear. I'll go with the 3:45 group and watch my HR like a hawk. If I still feel good at the 21 mile marker push on a bit, if the HR is uncomfortably high early on - drop back. Just get a proper time on the board this time out, can always aim for faster next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ger664

Have done 3 runs so far of over 18 miles, one more to go next weekend @ 20 miles. They've all been at ~5:45min/KM since I was just planning on getting to the end rather than going for time. It's only since the half a couple weekends ago that I've been entertaining ideas of actually trying to beat a time (3:30 came from what the calculators gave me based on my half time).

You would find the 3:30 pace difficult to hold as you have no miles done in your long runs at that pace. You probably are about 3:35-3:40. Go out with the 3:45 pacers and pull away from them in the second have or last six depending on how you feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

ger664 wrote: »
    You would find the 3:30 pace difficult to hold as you have no miles done in your long runs at that pace. You probably are about 3:35-3:40. Go out with the 3:45 pacers and pull away from them in the second have or last six depending on how you feel.

+1

Name|Sessions Completed|This Week|Total so far|Comments
    Vagga|||333 miles||
    Nules10|||384.5||
    liamog|||249.1 miles||
    Concerned2|||440.33 miles||
    Househunter|||488 miles||
    Mr Abbey|||235 miles||
    PDCAT|||262.5m|
    TomD101|||262since 04/07||
    ShivDCM|||337m||
    BobMac104|||360.05 ||
    red face dave|||204 miles||
    Younganne|||217.5m|
    rom|||328.43 miles||
    TiptoeMushroom|||260.5km since June 22nd. ||
    mazken|||285.8 miles||
    maggiemissy|||419 miles| |
    run44 (Aoife)|||384.7 miles since June||
    specialk1977|||122| |
    maggiemissy|||384.1||

30 days to go... how are you getting on?

I'm tired and emotional :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

i'm just tired;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

And I am just emotional :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Very very tired

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Nervous, wondering am I mad to think I can do this (but getting excited too :))

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Can't believe it's THIS month!

at 10 am on a Saturday? For shame, for shame
    :pac:

• Advertisement

Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|5m/8k|10m/16k|5m/8k|rest|20m/32k|cross

the big week - 20 miles midweek, 20 more in the long run. This is your training peak, after this week you'll start winding down a little, letting your legs recover before the race.
    So - same advice as always. Take it easy on your runs, going slower than marathon pace. Plan your fueling and hydration in advance. Run with a group if you can. Remember why you're doing this, and how far you've come already.

Advertisement